FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Sheraton San Jose [Master Thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/339100-sheraton-san-jose-master-thread.html)

JoeBagodonuts Jul 29, 2006 11:57 am

Since Price isn't an issue for me, I definitely use the Sunnyvale property over the SJ Milipitas. I understand your arguements if you are price conscious, but if you aren't, Sunnyvale is a better property.. will be there next week :)

Kobi May 17, 2007 9:40 am

What are the differeent views that the rooms have here. It looks like there are rooms that face the pool and rooms that face the highway? Anything else? Thanks

365RoadWarrior May 17, 2007 12:10 pm

I was there last week. I never looked out the window or noticed any road or pool noise. The lounge was closed, but that was a good thing: very nice breakfast in the adjacent restaurant and evening hors d'oeuvres in the restaurant lounge. Overall, a good experience.

Explore May 14, 2009 9:32 pm

Sheraton San Jose as Plat?

Don't see a thread on this property. How is it - is Internet comped anywhere, and will they comp breakfast (vs. evening drinks) on weekends, since the club lounge is closed? How does it compare to the Sheraton Sunnyvale, which offers an identical $79 rate this weekend?

Thanks....

satori May 14, 2009 10:33 pm

Both Sunnyvale and San Jose offer platinum members breakfast certificates for the hotel restaurant buffet. Great deal.

I've never got much in the way of upgrades at Sunnyvale. San Jose does have some suites I have received on low cost stays.

I prefer the San Jose rooms and pool.

aussieinsf May 14, 2009 10:38 pm

San Jose has some low rise rooms with outdoor balconies overlooking the pool. New interiors and a nice hotel. Fairly average location in an off ramp office park some distance from the city itself. The $79 weekender is a very good deal though and we've stayed there to escape the fog in SF.

SanDiego1K May 15, 2009 10:37 am

/mod note

I've just created a master thread for this property. However, I could not find any info more recent than 2 years ago. I appreciate the current responses that have been given, and hope that a few more will chime in. The bulk of information we have is from 2004 and 2005, very dated in 2009.

/mod

rdchen May 15, 2009 11:25 am

IIRC, Sheraton San Jose offers breakfast vouchers to Plat on weekend. However, the vouchers are only good for continental breakfast, for a surcharge ($3?) you can ug it to full breakfast buffet.

Explore May 18, 2009 11:48 pm

Originally Posted by rdchen (Post 11754461)
IIRC, Sheraton San Jose offers breakfast vouchers to Plat on weekend. However, the vouchers are only good for continental breakfast, for a surcharge ($3?) you can ug it to full breakfast buffet.

According to front desk staff, Sheraton SJ no longer comps breakfast at all when the lounge is closed. Evening drinks only. By contrast, Sheraton Sunnyvale comped FULL breakfast on a Sunday morning in Faz restaurant, from the buffet. Selections there were nothing special, e.g. the rather dry scrambled eggs hadn't been refreshed in an hour or more, and were sticking to the side of the serving dish. But it was real grub.

myperks Sep 27, 2009 2:57 pm

A quick report trip on my one-night stay at the Sheraton San Jose in Milpitas, CA.

Got a great weekend rate at this property at $84/night.

Checked-in and greeted by friendly front desk personnel. Welcomed me as a platinum member and asked if I wanted a Tower Queen Suite or a Cabana Queen Suite. I took the Tower Queen Suite. Offered Platinum amenity and took points. Got 2 breakfast coupons for the Bistro as the lounge is not open on the weekend. No drink coupons are available.

The room was in the main tower of the hotel. Tower suite had a living room with a 42” Plasma, pull-out sofa, mini-bar with microfridge, and a table with two chairs. There is also a balcony that overlooks the courtyard area and the swimming pool/pond area. (Check-out the hotel’s own website which has really detailed accommodation information). The bedroom had two EXTREMELY large queen size beds, 32”LCD tv, and bathroom with all standard Sheraton amenities.

The pool area is nice this weekend as it was sunny and hot outside. There is also a Jacuzzi next to the pool. Parking is free. In-Room Wireless Internet was free (disclaimer: don’t know if I got it because I was Platinum or the rate I got, or was it because of the club level, so check before you connect)

Checked-out the lounge on the 9th floor but there was nothing as it was closed on the weekend. There was a computer station with a printer.

The Bistro served breakfast buffet with the traditional continental fare and french toast, breakfast potatoes, eggs, breakfast meat, and oatmeal. ($18/pp without the breakfast coupons)

There is a LINK@Sheraton near the front-desk with 3 stations. There is also a Plasma TV in a sitting area by the front desk with a Wii setup with Wii Sports. I had to check-out the controllers from the front-desk to utilize and was told this was a new “thing” they were doing ^^^.

Overall, great stay! Friendly staff, standard Sheraton accommodation. Complimentary shuttle service within mileage limitation and the airport (didn’t use as I drove in).
:D

myperks Oct 4, 2009 10:24 pm

Came for another night this weekend.
Everything was the same from the above post except...

I got a Cabana Poolside Suite this time.
These suites are in two-story buildings surrounding the pool area.
Each of these rooms have its own PRIVATE covered parking underneath the building ^ and stairwells leading up to the suites.

The room was large sized like an one-bedroom apartment. The living area has a big comfortable sofa bed, single sofa, 42" TV, "dining" coffee table with two chairs, mini-kitchenette w/ fridge. The living room opens out to a balcony overlooking the pool and the koi pond.

The bedroom faces the back with two large queen sized beds, 32"TV, and a large closet. The bathroom is connect to both the living room and bedroom with separate vanity and toilet/shower.

The room is fine but seems dated, but overall a great upgrade experience.

LyfeSaver Jun 14, 2010 5:26 pm

Excellent Staff, decent rooms, but HORRIBLE internet!

My collegues and I have been having this problem for a while. I stay here almost weekly and I absolutely praise the quality of the staff. The only problem is that the WiFi internet is sometimes near unusable due to its latency issues and slowness in certain rooms. I had written to SPG and got a response indicating that it might be a traffic issue arising from high usage (well, if thats the case then maybe they should consider upgrading) and nothing really good came out of this conversation. Does anyone have the same issue here? Do we know if SPG is considering anything to mitigate this problem?

RogerD408 Jul 15, 2010 6:37 pm

No QC on what is on their web page

Ok, this place has me really confused. I was checking rates for this weekend (7/17) and their lowest rate was $89 and states: PARKING PACKAGE. includes parking. Yet their web site says: We offer complimentary, on-site self parking for all registered guests. Now, granted this does not contradict anything, but it does seem odd (especially no In/Out Priviledges for self park?).

Also, their page says: Grab a bite at one of our refreshed, stylish restaurants. Now I have been there many times and I've yet to find anything but the one restaurant across the parking portico from the lobby.

As I've said, I've been there many times and I generally like the place when their rates are good. But this mis-information is bothersome to me. Are they just filling space or have there been major changes at this property? I may have to do a drive by (hazardous in Milpitas) next time I'm in the area. Does SPG have any quality control on what a property posts? Any consequences for blatant errors?

BL1KITW Jul 16, 2010 5:57 am

I was there over the July 4 weekend. Parking is still complimentary. Since it's an airport hotel, I think the parking package is their version of park and fly. You stay one night at the parking package rate and can then leave your car parked in self-parking for X number of days while you're out of town.

As far as I could tell, the Bistro is still the only restaurant. I had a good complimentary buffet breakfast there since the club lounge was closed over the weekend.

Originally Posted by RogerD408 (Post 14308316)
Ok, this place has me really confused. I was checking rates for this weekend (7/17) and their lowest rate was $89 and states: PARKING PACKAGE. includes parking. Yet their web site says: We offer complimentary, on-site self parking for all registered guests. Now, granted this does not contradict anything, but it does seem odd (especially no In/Out Priviledges for self park?).

Also, their page says: Grab a bite at one of our refreshed, stylish restaurants. Now I have been there many times and I've yet to find anything but the one restaurant across the parking portico from the lobby.

As I've said, I've been there many times and I generally like the place when their rates are good. But this mis-information is bothersome to me. Are they just filling space or have there been major changes at this property? I may have to do a drive by (hazardous in Milpitas) next time I'm in the area. Does SPG have any quality control on what a property posts? Any consequences for blatant errors?

hedoman Jul 16, 2010 9:32 pm

Booked weekend AAA rate for $87. no breakfast. Upon check-in, inquired about breakfast for plat. No way, it has been discontinued. My error, today I could have booked this hotel for $85 + full breakfast with AAA rate. Given room with highway view on 8th floor. Sunnyvale is available for $24 less on a full breakfast AAA rate.

Front desk shift change and asked about breakfast. Clerk happily forked over continental breakfast certs and explained this will be last time as new policy is in place.

Just trying to maintain plat while some kind of promo exists. A few years ago, I was a bit more regular at this hotel and have good memories. Most recent stay has convinced me to cross this place off the list. Way too many choices in the area.