Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Libertador, Buenos Aires, Argentina [Master Thread]

Old Oct 1, 2017, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tanic
HOTEL DEFLAGGED. No Marriott Bonvoy benefits.

Club Lounge Hours

(As of Sept 2017)

Breakfast
Everyday: 7 AM - 11 AM

Snacks and non-alcoholic drinks
Monday - Friday: 12:30 PM - 11 PM
Saturday - Sunday: 3 PM - 9 PM

Wine by the glass and hors d'oeuvres
Everyday: 6:30 PM - 8:30 PM
Print Wikipost

Sheraton Libertador, Buenos Aires, Argentina [Master Thread]

Old Oct 25, 2006, 1:52 pm

Programs: AA lifetime gold, BA, AC, CX, AS, DL, AF(gold), IHG(plt), SPG(gold), HHONORS, .
Question

Originally Posted by PTravel
We just got back yesterday from 8 nights at the Sheraton Libertador. We loved it. Were there problems? Yes, but nothing severe -- a very eccentric elevator, a noisey air-conditioner (replaced the first day), a less than perfect TV picture (but we weren't watching television anyway). The staff was warm and helpful, the property was clean and the location can't be beat -- the Libertador is walking distance to virtually everywhere. The only problem was that cab drivers confused the property with Sheraton Convention Center. We gotten taken there more than once until I learned to say:

"Por favor, Sheraton Liberador a Avenida Cordoba y Maipu"

I had more than one taxi driver thank me for specifying Cordoba and Maipu.

Was it the nicest hotel we ever stayed in? Not by a long shot. Would we return again? In a heart beat.
I second everything you say about the Libertador hotel.
Me and my wife stayed there during the last 2 winters and will stay there
again this coming feb.
The Hilton is a better and more expensive hotel but location wise , the
Sheraton Libertador is much better.
A question : As an SPG gold , do you get a free breakfast in the hotel ?
( in my last 2 stays , the breakfast were included in the rate I paid )

Thanks
Michael
Old Oct 25, 2006, 2:16 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by yulmichael
...A question : As an SPG gold , do you get a free breakfast in the hotel ?
( in my last 2 stays , the breakfast were included in the rate I paid )
As a Plat I did not get a free breakfast (and it was not included in my rate).
Old Oct 25, 2006, 3:15 pm
formerly known as daveland

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Delta Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Wyndham Diamond
I've posted on the topic before but seeing new posts makes me want to post again ;-)

EZE is "safe" - but I'd disagree that it's safer than all US cities. New York in 2006 is certainly "safer" than EZE if you speak in wholly general terms. Much ore poverty in EZE, as one poster mentioned, creates certain petty crimes. However, most people will be fine if they use general "city smarts" they'd use in any big city. Be alert and aware, try to avoid walking alone at night - especially if you don't know where you are going. Try to know at least a little Spanish - the cabbies won't speak English. Just knowing a few words can make you appear as less of a mark. Only use the metered "Radio taxi" cabs - never an unmarked.

The Libertador is a lovely hotel and treats Golds/Plats very well. We were put on the Club Floor for a full week's award stay as Gold. Free water (not that they clue you in on it unless you ask) but no free breakfast. Location is fantastic.
Old Oct 25, 2006, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
Thanks for the great feedback.Very Helpful ^
Details great.No suprises is my favorite way to go
Is the city safe compared to other major cities?
Are you sorry you didn't stay longer? Or was 8 nights just right?
BA is very, very safe. My wife developed a bad allergic reaction that necessitated a trip to the all-night pharmacy. There was one on Florida, the pedestrian shopping street one block from the hotel. We walked for several blocks on Florida at 2 am. At first we were a little nervous, but then noticed that there were plenty of people about -- single women, couples, people going to or from work, etc. We also noticed lots and lots of police at all hours of the day and night. We felt more comfortable in BA then we do here in our home city of San Franicsco.

Eight nights was just right in that we saw almost everything we wanted to see (including a day trip over to Colonia del Sacramento in Uruguay). However, I'd have loved more time. This is a city, like Paris, that can be enjoyed just by walking its tree-shaded streets, sitting in its many, many sidewalk cafes and people-watching while sipping a (very, very good) coffee, ambling through its many beautiful parks, dining in its wonderful and inexpensive restaurants, etc. I suspect there were many stores my wife would have liked to have explored. I didn't get a chance to take a tour of the Teatro Colon. There is also a very good Tango Ballet company we would have liked to have seen. I was also prepared to stake out as many antique stores as possible in search of the perfect nickel candlestick phone and/or an affordable Eiffel Tower phone (for anyone who knows antique phones, I'd never seen a real Eiffel Tower phone -- one of the earliest "home" phones manufactured in the 19th century and an example of beautiful industrial design -- in the flesh until BA, where I saw more than a dozen in various antique stores). However, for us, the point of travel isn't so much to see other places, as to be other places. BA is a very, very good place to be, as well as to see, and we will certainly return.
Old Oct 25, 2006, 4:07 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by olimaspecto
You really should take a look at the South America forum for more info as there is a long sticky on Buenos Aires.

Buenos Aires is a relatively safe city when considering South America as a whole. The biggest thing to watch out for is mugging and taxi cab scams (where they drive you to a deserted area and try to get money,etc).

The Libertador is great and when I stayed there last month I got upgraded to one of the four presidential suites. I was on an award stay and so for two nights in the presidential suite it cost me 6000 SPG points. Not bad at all in my book!
Great to hear the property is really delivering Starwood Preferred Guest benefits above and beyond ^ Congrats
Looks like I will be traveling now with a global cell phone again like Africa after your warnings (sigh)
Planning to pick up some books when I get the chance.
Big fan here of the Eyewitness travel books.

The latest plan is to cap off the last three of my ten nights at the spectacular new Park Hyatt there for a send off before returning home.

The rest of the debate is if we should stay at the Sheraton the rest of the time or break it up with the Park Tower Luxury Collection or the new modern Hilton in between.
Both these properties scored extremely high scores for excellence

The Sheraton Libertador seems to be an exceptional value from what I can understand. Trip Advisor also had a wide mix of reviews like FT. Deeply divided
Where as both the Hilton and Park Tower had stellar consistent reviews overall.......
It appears the Park Hyatt is in the leagues and direct competition with the Four Seasons
Though with rates of 400 to 1000 plus tax a night and up they should
All ten nights there and they become co-owners of my property
Old Oct 25, 2006, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yulmichael
A question : As an SPG gold , do you get a free breakfast in the hotel ? ( in my last 2 stays , the breakfast were included in the rate I paid )

Thanks
Michael
We were there on an award stay and, no, no free breakfast (though, as someone else noted, free bottles of water which, I think, we appreciated more). Frankly, given the size of the average portion in BA, we found that we rarely wanted breakfast, only coffee and tea in the morning. There's something about consuming a 1000 gram "baby beef" at 11 o'clock at night that discouraged me from wanting too much to eat the following morning.
Old Oct 25, 2006, 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by number_6
EZE is safer than average, but you see signs of destitution everywhere. Engineers shining shoes on the street, that sort of thing, and much of it is chronic. There is a crime element due to the desperation that this can bring. Overall I think it is safer than any city in the US.

As for taxi drivers, they fall sharply into 2 groups. Half are honest and very cheap. The other half are not honest and will try to fleece you in various ways. If you ever have a cab suggest not pulling in to your hotel's driveway but to drop you in the street, it is a sure sign that he is doing something not honest and doesn't want the doorman to see. I've had the same trip magically cost 5 times as much in a different taxi, so be aware of that (but most cities have this problem in varying ways).

Overall EZE is a great city. The food is superb (and not just steak!). There is a strong Italian presence which does well with some of the food. The best ice cream in the world that I've ever had is in the basement of the Galerias Pacifico mall (a couple of blocks from the Libertador).
Thanks for the excellent tip I need calcium for my continued good health
I will be sure to check it out ^ What is the brand name or best flavors to get?Hopefully not garlic rosewater I saw that in an upscale ice cream shop this year and had to pass
Old Oct 25, 2006, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Sheraton Libertador seems to be an exceptional value from what I can understand. Trip Advisor also had a wide mix of reviews like FT. Deeply divided
I think it comes down to what you're looking for when you travel. For us, though a beautiful luxury hotel is always a nice treat, we're far more interested in getting out and about, experiencing the location, sampling the food, etc. What time we spend in the hotel is usually confined to sleeping, showering, changing clothes or, in my case, checking my email and keeping the fires out back in the office. For us, clean, quiet, en-suite, with internet fulfill our requirements completely. For this, the Libertador was completely satisfactory. Though they're nice to have, we don't really care about spa facilities, club rooms, the hotel bar (or, for that matter, the hotel restaurant). Helpful and friendly staff are always a plus, though, particularly the conciereges, and that certainly describes the staff of the Libertador.

If, on the other hand, you're concerned about the entire hotel experience, and like the luxury of a true 5-star, with all of the amenities that go with it, you'd probably be less satisfied with the Libertador. Though comfortable, it's not luxurious -- for that, go to the Alvear Plaza.
Old Oct 25, 2006, 4:50 pm

Talking Where's the beef is not the slogan there I assume

We were there on an award stay and, no, no free breakfast (though, as someone else noted, free bottles of water which, I think, we appreciated more). Frankly, given the size of the average portion in BA, we found that we rarely wanted breakfast, only coffee and tea in the morning. There's something about consuming a 1000 gram "baby beef" at 11 o'clock at night that discouraged me from wanting too much to eat the following morning.
I don't have a problem with losing the breakfast benefit if I am informed. And it is clear upfront.......
However in one SPG property early this year on points I ran into this for the first time the hard way and was very unhappy with the policy.

We were invited to complimentary lounge access on points with no mention I would be billed at any time. And there was no check or bill to sign during my stay.Only after viewing the bill on TV one morning did I become aware there was a concern with this. I consider that highly misleading.
I am on revenue this time....and the rate for some of the nights include it

I think the overall the rule is a bad precedent for SPG and any program should be abolished.
It says essentially there are the worthy Platinum customers and the not so worthy who pay to stay in the hotels and support the program but are no good because they use and redeem in the program

That said if I am informed at the time of reservation and or at the front desk at the check in I can live with the rule without problem.
It is of my opinion if the hotel has such policy it should be on the reservation in writing to be fair......so one can consider options with other programs/properties

If I stay at the new Hilton in town on points I would very surprised if the same thing were to happen. It hasn't happened ever yet with over eight million HH points redeemed to date globally. Only at two Starwood properties have I even heard of this concern.......I am slightly leaning toward the Hilton now in principal for some of the stay which would most likely be on points........ earned from way to many Diet Cokes
Old Oct 25, 2006, 4:55 pm

I think it comes down to what you're looking for when you travel. For us, though a beautiful luxury hotel is always a nice treat, we're far more interested in getting out and about, experiencing the location, sampling the food, etc. What time we spend in the hotel is usually confined to sleeping, showering, changing clothes or, in my case, checking my email and keeping the fires out back in the office. For us, clean, quiet, en-suite, with internet fulfill our requirements completely. For this, the Libertador was completely satisfactory. Though they're nice to have, we don't really care about spa facilities, club rooms, the hotel bar (or, for that matter, the hotel restaurant). Helpful and friendly staff are always a plus, though, particularly the conciereges, and that certainly describes the staff of the Libertador.

If, on the other hand, you're concerned about the entire hotel experience, and like the luxury of a true 5-star, with all of the amenities that go with it, you'd probably be less satisfied with the Libertador. Though comfortable, it's not luxurious -- for that, go to the Alvear Plaza.
Thank you I do believe the Sheraton will be quite adequate for some portion of the trip.
At the end of the day I do trust FT over Trip Advisor as many here know what it takes to insure an have an adequte stay.Many of us are also experiencing Gold and Platinum treatment which may be closer to the real experince in house then those on other public travel site forums
Old Oct 25, 2006, 5:07 pm

BA is very, very safe.
Eight nights was just right in that we saw almost everything we wanted to see However, I'd have loved more time. This is a city, like Paris, that can be enjoyed just by walking its tree-shaded streets, sitting in its many, many However, for us, the point of travel isn't so much to see other places, as to be other places. BA is a very, very good place to be, as well as to see, and we will certainly return.

I feel confident that our ten nights won't be overkill now thanks to your helpful post.Our group debated other destinations including Auckland
I had no idea when I made the original suggestion of Buenos Aires it was that far.......The more I hear about it the more I am looking forward to it
Cheers
Old Oct 25, 2006, 5:59 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Thanks for the excellent tip I need calcium for my continued good health
I will be sure to check it out ^ What is the brand name or best flavors to get?Hopefully not garlic rosewater I saw that in an upscale ice cream shop this year and had to pass
They have about 50 flavours and these range from good to excellent. The best was the quince. Really a unique taste and very good. None of the flavours were faddish (like rosewater). I think the fruit flavours were better than the chocolate, vanilla, etc.
Old Oct 25, 2006, 6:15 pm

Talking All in a good discussion on miles and points

Originally Posted by number_6
They have about 50 flavours and these range from good to excellent. The best was the quince. Really a unique taste and very good. None of the flavours were faddish (like rosewater). I think the fruit flavours were better than the chocolate, vanilla, etc.
I am a pear fanatic.Fingers crossed.Paris has it in many places
Have never forgiven Hagen Daz for taking it off the market

Thanks
Old Nov 5, 2006, 7:58 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Plat Elite, Continental Gold, bmi Silver, SPG Plat, HiltonDiamond
Okay, this is not The Lanesborough!

I stayed here one night and got an upgrade to the Presidential Suite. Granted a lot of the extras in the room did not work (spa, sauna, giant TV) but the room was clean and comfortable.

I moved the The Park Tower which is far better but you only get what you pay for.

I have stayed at far worse Starwood properties here in the US than the Liberator.
Old Jun 1, 2007, 4:18 pm

Programs: NW Plat (now they call it DL Diamond) 1MM, soon to be DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Dusit Gold
Sheraton Libertador, Buenos Aires

Starwood Lurker:

I am posting this because it has become an unending time waster.

A brief explanation of the below e-mails. We stayed at the Libertador from May 2-May 6, 2007. The hotel is being refurbished and the high-decibel noise can be heard thruout much of the hotel. The Public Relations Manager seems very proactive, since I complained at check-out about the noise. My wife complained within 5 minutes of check-in, but they could not do much. We returned on May 13 for one night.

I contacted Starwood about the missing stay credits and points, but got a somewhat self-serving e-mail requesting documentation (folios for the two stays, of which I only have one and I did not send in). In between, I did a customer satisfaction survey and the below communications are because of that.

Can you cut through the c**p and fix this?

Unfortunately, it appears on my online statement that the last stay has not been credited. Please explain why it is so difficult for Starwood to get such a simple task accomplished. I think it is time for me to ask for additional StarPoints for all the time that you have wasted on my part. It is up to you as to what you consider adequate compensation.

opushomes
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, May 30, 2007 7:08 AM
To: opushomes
Subject: RE: Sheraton Libertador Hotel

Dear Mr. opushomes

Once again I would like to ask you to accept my most sincere apologies for the discomfort experienced.

I want to thank you for taking the time on giving me a complete detailed description of each one of your problems during your stay. I honestly understand your feelings and I already share your comments with our Rooms Division Manager to alert her of the situation.

Regarding the points issue, we investigate and SPG informed some problem with the transactions done on your first stay (the last stay was posted; please let me know if you have any difference). Our SPG coordinator is working on it and will be solved shortly.

Without any doubt your comments are our most valuable tool to improve our service and I truly hope you will give us the opportunity to host you again in our Hotel.

Thank you very much and please feel free to contact me for further assistance.

Kind regards,

Natalia Coronel | Public Relations Manager - Quality Representative - Sheraton Libertador Hotel
680 Cordoba Avenue I Buenos Aires I Argentina I C1054AAS
telephone 54.11.4321.0094 | facsimile 54.11.4325.5475
sheraton.com
Sheraton | Belong

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

De: opushomes
Enviado el: Martes, 29 de Mayo de 2007 14:08
Para: 'Natalia Coronel'
Asunto: RE: Sheraton Libertador Hotel

May 29, 2007

Natalia:

I was going to contact SPG directly, but since you are proactive, will discuss this with you directly. I do not wish to offend, but the offer of upgrade accommodations is an empty one. As an SPG gold, I am already entitled to those and, in fact, was upgraded to a somewhat tired suite during our first stay. This is the stay where you provided up with compensatory Starwood points for the noise. As previously mentioned, we were 5 floors above the work, yet it sounded like the hammering was in our room. This continued from approximately 0800 to after 1900.

If you are refurbishing, warn people, do not let them discover it on their own. Notify bookings, put a large notice on the SPG web-suite. I dealt with the original problem and upon our return on September 13, we were put into an attractive room which had been refurbished, 608. It was a nice gesture that wine and cheese were waiting for us at our 10:30 p.m. arrival. The room was what I expect a Starwood property outside the U.S. to provide. The earplugs in the room demonstrated that you have a problem, but they are not the solution. For upper-level Starwood Preferred Guests, might I suggest that you offer to transfer them to one of the two other BA properties at the same nightly rate and, of course, only at their option. At breakfast the morning of the 14th, I overheard a visitor at the next table complaining about the noise and stating that the ear plugs were obviously some sort of joke. Ear plugs do not muffle such loud noise and are frankly uncomfortable.

My major gripe has to do with check-out. At the first checkout on May 6, as I was getting into the taxi, I was called back to the desk because your printer was not working. I had to sign again for the charges. An annoyance, but I mention it because it may be the cause of part of my complaint about May 14. On that morning I went down to checkout, while my wife remained in the room. I told Damian that he needed a cart for the luggage in 608. When I actually got to the desk, the desk clerk asked if I had luggage. I responded that I did and had told Damian (D). He asked D if he had sent someone to the room. He had not and ten minutes had elapsed. Shortly after, the bellman left with the cart. I waited in the lobby for about 20 minutes and no wife and no luggage. Finally the bellman returned with the empty cart. He said that D told him 7th floor. 35 minutes after making a simple request, we were in the taxi and on the way to the International Airport. Perhaps a course in customer service might be appropriate?

Now the latest issue, my stays have not posted. I got the 2000 compensatory points, but no stays nor points. Please ensure that they expeditiously post. No guest should have to fight for the points the program guarantees. Please note, that I stay over 75 nights per year in hotels. Yours has the potential of being one of Sheraton's better ones, it has an excellent location. It is convenient to shopping, travel resources (LAN & Buquebus), and communications suppliers. Right now, it is not, and is not worth the rates that you are charging.

opushomes

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, May 28, 2007 1:48 PM
To: OPUSHOMES
Subject: Sheraton Libertador Hotel

Dear Mr. opushomes

Thank you very much for taking the time to answer the electronic survey. We really appreciate you took the time to give us your valued opinion.

I am very much concerned to learn that we failed to fulfill your expectations during your stay at the Sheraton Libertador Hotel in Buenos Aires.

I would ask you to accept my most sincere apologies for the discomfort experienced. As you may observe, we are undergoing a refurbishing project in order to provide you optimized accommodation facilities.

Please, next time you decide to visit Buenos Aires, do not hesitate to contact me directly. I will more than willing to offer you upgrade accommodations.

I truly hope you will give us the opportunity to host you again in our Hotel.

Sincerely,

Natalia Coronel | Public Relations Manager - Quality Representative - Sheraton Libertador Hotel
680 Cordoba Avenue I Buenos Aires I Argentina I C1054AAS
telephone 54.11.4321.0094 | facsimile 54.11.4325.5475
sheraton.com
Sheraton | Belong

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.