Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Libertador, Buenos Aires, Argentina [Master Thread]

Old Oct 1, 2017, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tanic
HOTEL DEFLAGGED. No Marriott Bonvoy benefits.

Club Lounge Hours

(As of Sept 2017)

Breakfast
Everyday: 7 AM - 11 AM

Snacks and non-alcoholic drinks
Monday - Friday: 12:30 PM - 11 PM
Saturday - Sunday: 3 PM - 9 PM

Wine by the glass and hors d'oeuvres
Everyday: 6:30 PM - 8:30 PM
Print Wikipost

Sheraton Libertador, Buenos Aires, Argentina [Master Thread]

Old Feb 7, 2006, 7:01 am

Location: AC Million Miler & long time SE; StarwoodPlat for 10+ yrs & lifetime Gold; Hilton Honours Diamond; IC Ambassador; AMEX Plat;Avis Presidents Club; Airmiles GOLD; and just about everything else!
Programs: aeroplan & 25+year loyalty
Totally agree with ej on going to the Sheraton Convention Hotel, which has an incredible outdoor pool and great gym. Liberator does not have an outdoor pool or sundeck ---it is in the cement jungle and in BA I want a pool/deck.

Rooms are very nice at the Convention property, and good suites but they seem to rarely do up/grades. In my 7 or 8 stays, only got suite once and I had to be quite assertive over my Plat benefits.

Only downside is paucity of restaurants in this property. You are a short and cheap taxi ride to Porto Moderno which has some of the best in the city.

The adjacent luxury property is really nice but too much fuss, butlers,etc IMO. Great lounge, business ctr which you can use from Convention property.
Old Feb 7, 2006, 9:46 am

Programs: UA LT Gold, Air France Platinum Ulti, AA 4MM EXP, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
I have stayed at all three properties myself and there is no comparison
The Libertador is definitely not up to international standarts and although my opinion is subjective, like every one else`s, I am highly qualified to compare since I stay in hotels for a living, with more than 200 nights a year all over the world.
Location? Give me a break...the Micro centro in Buenos Aires is not particularly highly regarded by both Porteos and upmarkets tourists. Is it because Florida street is a one block away? The shopping there is rather low quality and the restaurants are much better anywhere else
The areas to be in BUE are Puerto Madero where the Hilton is, Recoletta or Palermo where the new Park Hyatt is soon opening
As far as the Libertador is concerned I stand by my judgement, filthy carpets, poor plumbing etc etc... and my upgrade was a pseudo suite consisting of two adjoining rooms quite unpractical as a matter of fact
If one calls that a beautiful room...I guess everything is relative and one can only compare with past experiences!
I definitely would NOT recommend that hotel to any of my friends or clients before major warnings
Old Feb 7, 2006, 10:46 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, OW Emerald, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by thierry
I am highly qualified to compare since I stay in hotels for a living, with more than 200 nights a year all over the world.
Are you a hotel reviewer or hotel industry analyst?
Old Feb 7, 2006, 11:07 am

Programs: UA Premier, SPG Platinum, Marriott Silver, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by thierry
Location? Give me a break...the Micro centro in Buenos Aires is not particularly highly regarded by both Porteos and upmarkets tourists. Is it because Florida street is a one block away? The shopping there is rather low quality and the restaurants are much better anywhere else
I haven't stayed at the other properties, though I'm sure from the descriptions of them I've seen that they are, indeed, nicer than the Libertador. But they're also more expensive, either in dollars, pesos or points.

As for location, no, I didn't like it because of the shopping, I liked it because it was convenient to just about everything. There were buses just outside, subway nearby, it was easy to get a cab to other neighborhoods or to walk. For what the Libertador is, i.e., a relatively cheap hotel, it was better than I expected. I'd stay there again, unless I win the lottery, in which case I'm going to the Park Tower.
Old Feb 7, 2006, 11:50 pm

Programs: QF Plat LTG, UA2mm, Marriott LTP
I stayed at the Libertador twice in September, and for 3000 points a night (Cat 2) I thought it was a good deal. I was upgraded to a two room suite both times and had the fruit/cake plate or whatever they call it.

The Libertador could do with some updating, but as a Cat 2 SPG hotel I had modest expectations.
Old Feb 8, 2006, 5:48 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Wasn't this a Category 1 hotel not too long ago?

.... and we have the peso at 3 to the dollar now.
Old Feb 8, 2006, 6:13 am

Programs: Hy-Vee Fuel Saver
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Wasn't this a Category 1 hotel not too long ago?

.... and we have the peso at 3 to the dollar now.
Yes. I was there in Sept. & made the reservation in Sept. It was a category 1.
Old Feb 8, 2006, 8:24 am

Programs: AA(2MM)-Plt, HH-Gld, HY-Glb, ICAmb-Plt, SPG-Plt (Life), AMEX-Plt
I plan to stay at the Sheraton Libertador in March...after reading this, will pay more attention to service and quality and will be glad to provide a Trip Report update.

In addition, I think I'll be staying at the Park Tower and the Convention Center too...not definite though.
Old Feb 17, 2006, 4:42 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Platinum Question

Originally Posted by tmartazu
I plan to stay at the Sheraton Libertador in March...after reading this, will pay more attention to service and quality and will be glad to provide a Trip Report update.
Hi all -

Staying at this hotel as well speak, and I would say the quality of the room I got (18th floor) and service so far has been well worth the points spent.

Question though - As a platinum, should I normally receive complementary breakfast? When I checked in, I was told that because I was on points, I did not get breakfast which leads me to believe I should otherwise? Anyone care to comment? If so, I was under the expectation was that if I get something when I am paying I would also get it when I am using points...

Thanks for any info.

T.
Old Feb 17, 2006, 5:48 pm

Programs: *A Gold, OW Sapphire, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by AskTravis
Hi all -

Staying at this hotel as well speak, and I would say the quality of the room I got (18th floor) and service so far has been well worth the points spent.

Question though - As a platinum, should I normally receive complementary breakfast? When I checked in, I was told that because I was on points, I did not get breakfast which leads me to believe I should otherwise? Anyone care to comment? If so, I was under the expectation was that if I get something when I am paying I would also get it when I am using points...

Thanks for any info.

T.
Sorry can't help you on that. My rate already includes breakfast... Anyway if you leave the hotel and take Cordoba Avenue * Florida Street there's a very nice affordable cafe... Nice sightseeings and all

Their breakfast service is not worth an argument if you ask me...
Old Feb 17, 2006, 11:22 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by AskTravis
...Question though - As a platinum, should I normally receive complementary breakfast? When I checked in, I was told that because I was on points, I did not get breakfast which leads me to believe I should otherwise? Anyone care to comment? If so, I was under the expectation was that if I get something when I am paying I would also get it when I am using points...
They are correct and you are not being short-changed. Points do not include breakfast at *wood, though some hotels include it. Also Platinum status does not include breakfast, though again some hotels offer it (maybe 25%). Unlike Hyatt Diamond which does formally include breakfast as a benefit. Many non-US hotels have all rates including breakfast, and award does not. It is a policy which probably causes more grief for *wood than the money it saves.
Old Feb 18, 2006, 6:09 pm
formerly known as daveland

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Delta Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Wyndham Diamond
Just a question about room types at this property:

We are booked (via an award reservation) in the following room type:

Room Features: Business Deluxe Non-Smoking, Dbl Glazed Windows, Highspeed Internet For A Fee, Safe, Adjustable Air/Heating System

Is there any sort of reasonable upgrade I should try for - whether as Gold or as a points per night upgrade? Is the only room above this the massive two room suites some people have posted about in the past?

Gracias!
Old Mar 13, 2006, 7:56 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Delta Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Wyndham Diamond
Well, we completed our one week stay (about a week ago) and I thought I'd follow this up.

The room types seem to be: Deluxe Room, Business Deluxe, Club Floor, Jr Suite, Presidential Suite.

We were booked on 18, the club floor, in a standard and nicely appointed room (SPG Gold on points). Though we didn't find out until the last day, you should know that on the Club Floor, bottled water is complimentary They also gave us a very nice half bottle of Malbec on Day 1 and a torte of some sort (it was delicious) on Day 3.

This property may not be a St Regis but the staff there treated us as if it were. Always extremely pleasant and helpful. We really enjoyed our time talking with the staff, from the desk crews to the concierge to the doormen to the security guard!

I don't know how much nicer the rooms on the Club Floor were compared to the other floors - I know others have commented on rooms needing renovation. Ours was just fine - at a 4 Star USA level. The Club Floor guests also get free pool/health club access. I'm not sure of the cost for others. Truthfully, we never made it up there all week as we were too busy enjoying BsA!

Be aware that Internet Access in your room is 50 Pesos/day - a bit steep (~ $17USD) - but you can access the Internet from the Business Center for 5 pesos per half hour (on their computers or you can bring your laptop). You can only do 24 hour blocks from your room. Also- they have this ingenious service where they'll give you a cell phone free. The catch, as there must be, is that calls made are charged as if you were in your room. That's never good ;-) I bought a SIM card for 50 pesos that included 20 pesos of airtime on Personal. Outgoing calls were 1 peso local, 1.5 pesos to the USA, incoming calls free (as is common outside the States).

Location: Perhaps it depends on who you are and what you like. We saw the location of the Park Tower and while not bad, it was simply not as "in the action" as the Libertador. Yes, I am sure it is many levels of posh-ness above the Libertador, but we loved walking right out the door one block to Florida Street and right into the action! We are "young-ish" and we like convenience and things at our doorstep so YMMV. We prefer that to jumping in a cab everywhere even if the cabs are only USD$2-3 per trip

Summary: The Sheraton Libertador is a very nice hotel in a great city. The staff here, with very few exceptions, will bend over backwards for you. The location is prime. As a Gold or better I'd think you're likely to be upgraded pending availability without problem. While I'd be tempted to try a night or two at the PT on a future trip to compare, we'd absolutely be happy booking back into the Libertador, especially given the difference in *points. If any staff are reading this, thanks for helping us have a very nice and memorable trip to BsA.
Old Mar 14, 2006, 11:53 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, Delta PM MM, Airtain Elite, Hilton Diamond, Avis First, Hertz President's Circle
Avoid the Libertadors

After a horrible experience at the Sheraton Libertador in Lima, I've sworn off the Libertadors - so have not stayed in this hotel. I'm normally Starwood crazy, but had a great stay at the Hilton where I paid about $150/night. It appears that the rates have gone up since, but that was a REALLY nice, new business hotel.
Old Mar 14, 2006, 2:18 pm

I'm not sure how you can say that you had a bad stay in Lima and therefore we should all avoid an affiliated (assuming it indeed is) hotel in BsA. Seems a bit of a leap.

Also, the Hilton in BsA is on the Port away from the action while the Libertador is just off Florida St (in the action). So location preference would also be a factor.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.