Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

[LEFT Marriott; to become Rosewood] Blue Palace, Crete, Greece [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 21, 2014, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dgreen12
Email Addresses (per Post 425)

Print Wikipost

[LEFT Marriott; to become Rosewood] Blue Palace, Crete, Greece [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2015, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by kippax
Re: breakfast buffet, is that a Plat benefit?
Thanks
Itīs more or less included in every rate
Old Sep 7, 2015, 1:27 am

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
Am currently at the resort. Overall, a nice and relaxing place. Because of the wooden deck around the pebble beach, I would not regard the lack of a sandy beach as a drawback, on the contrary - it's very convenient to get into the water and the water is very clear (and still warm at this time of the year).

Got upgraded to a maisonette duplex w. small pool - very nice. Not 100 % private, but fine.

Had dinner in the Asian restaurant. Food was okay, the waitresses seemed overworked and stressed, at least some of them. Most of the staff is friendly, though.

The one thing I don't understand is that they are making me move out of the room at 12 p.m. when I told them that I am leaving the resort at 2:30 p.m. (my flight leaves at 5, I already have a boarding pass, a rental car and no luggage to check). The same room category is still bookable online, so I don't understand why they are kicking me out of the room at 12. They did offer a courtesy room, but I don't see the point of making me go through that hassle for a couple of hours. I just want to stay on the little deck by the little pool and then leave.
Old Sep 7, 2015, 6:35 am

Programs: Bonvoy Gold, AA Plat, Volare Premier, VS Silver, National Emerald Elite, Hertz President Circle
Sorry to state the obvious, but are you sure they know you're platinum? Did you mention it when you asked? In some properties the front desk repeats the book answer without checking the status of the guest.

Last edited by wobbly wings; Sep 7, 2015 at 7:17 am
Old Sep 7, 2015, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

I'm at the Resort at the moment too. Will report back soon....
Old Sep 11, 2015, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Iīm back from Crete, you find my report here

Over all it was a nice stay, but the overpriced food needs improovment and the hotel lacks privacy. Pools at Bungalows are useless.
Old Sep 12, 2015, 6:30 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by offerendum
I´m back from Crete, you find my report here

Over all it was a nice stay, but the overpriced food needs improovment and the hotel lacks privacy. Pools at Bungalows are useless.
Why would you post this in the Luxury Hotels Forum when you seem to know about this master thread on the property?
Old Sep 12, 2015, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by christianj
Why would you post this in the Luxury Hotels Forum when you seem to know about this master thread on the property?
Because I did so - don't have a better answer
Old Sep 12, 2015, 9:18 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by offerendum
Because I did so - don't have a better answer
and that is good enough for me.

I know this resort and I think your observations are spot on. I do hope you got into the village of Plaka for some taverna food.

Thanks for sharing.
Old Sep 12, 2015, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, Plaka has really nice Taverns. We ate there the other 4 days.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 4:02 am
GVA

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, BA Silver, Aegean Gold, Aeroplan 25k, AA EXP
On top of all previous comments about this property, I'll just add that they have serious service delivery problems which add to the fact that this property is one I probably will not return to.

There is really little of Greece that comes out of the staff here. Go outside from the hotel and you will meet wonderfully nice and hospitable people, however once back at the hotel none of this is really seen, or if it is it is in limited amounts.

The staff at breakfast really are some of the most disgruntled people I have seen. Either they are sloppy and do not care or they have attitude. In any case you start to feel sorry that you speak to them and disturb them.

The rest of the staff do not care much either. Walking at night with a bag, three golf carts went by, none of them offered to give me a lift (not a big deal, but still was quite loaded with baggage).

My gripe with this property was on the final night though, there was a deafening noise (sounded like an alarm) coming from the hallway. I call reception to tell them about it and expressing that I think it is either an alarm or a bird that might be stuck. Their reply "well you should have thought that you are staying at the countryside if you come here". They promised to send someone to have a look but nobody ever came and the sound continued all night (heard the neighbours were woken up also).

At checkout, by some miracle managed to get a late checkout after much haggling. Unfortunately the card had not been validated to that late checkout time, which meant I lost 25 minutes going back and forth to reception to get the card back up and running, which put me a bit late compared to that checkout time. Well starting a minute after that checkout time had gone by, the phone rang every 30 seconds, with the hotel asking why we hadn't left and telling us to leave (quite counter productive to call so many times).

The settings of this hotel are very nice, but the staff ruin the experience. It's a pity as the service delivery is so far off what you experience in Greece in general.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 4:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GVA
On top of all previous comments about this property, I'll just add that they have serious service delivery problems which add to the fact that this property is one I probably will not return to.

There is really little of Greece that comes out of the staff here. Go outside from the hotel and you will meet wonderfully nice and hospitable people, however once back at the hotel none of this is really seen, or if it is it is in limited amounts.

The staff at breakfast really are some of the most disgruntled people I have seen. Either they are sloppy and do not care or they have attitude. In any case you start to feel sorry that you speak to them and disturb them.

The rest of the staff do not care much either. Walking at night with a bag, three golf carts went by, none of them offered to give me a lift (not a big deal, but still was quite loaded with baggage).

My gripe with this property was on the final night though, there was a deafening noise (sounded like an alarm) coming from the hallway. I call reception to tell them about it and expressing that I think it is either an alarm or a bird that might be stuck. Their reply "well you should have thought that you are staying at the countryside if you come here". They promised to send someone to have a look but nobody ever came and the sound continued all night (heard the neighbours were woken up also).

At checkout, by some miracle managed to get a late checkout after much haggling. Unfortunately the card had not been validated to that late checkout time, which meant I lost 25 minutes going back and forth to reception to get the card back up and running, which put me a bit late compared to that checkout time. Well starting a minute after that checkout time had gone by, the phone rang every 30 seconds, with the hotel asking why we hadn't left and telling us to leave (quite counter productive to call so many times).

The settings of this hotel are very nice, but the staff ruin the experience. It's a pity as the service delivery is so far off what you experience in Greece in general.
It wasnīt as bad at our stay, but service could get some improvement.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 5:38 am

Are we going there just because it is a Starwood resort hoping for status upgrades?

That area of eastern Crete, especially in the Elounda area, has some amazing small luxury resorts and hotels and in the " best of " lists the Blue Palace is never listed among them.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 8:34 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by david4455
Are we going there just because it is a Starwood resort hoping for status upgrades?

That area of eastern Crete, especially in the Elounda area, has some amazing small luxury resorts and hotels and in the " best of " lists the Blue Palace is never listed among them.
The answer to your question is yes.......If someone is going there to redeem points for an award stay or strictly to earn points on a paid stay I would think everyone wants/hopes for a status upgrade if they are entitled to one. If you are a paying guest you need to decide if you want to earn points for the vacation or stay elsewhere and not earn points. It's a decision we all face!

I was just recently on Mallorca and decided to go outside of any awards program and pay to stay at the wonderful Can Simoneta Hotel. I could have stayed at 3 different SPG properties but they didn't provide what I wanted or I thought the Euro cost or an award stay was to expensive (the StR).

Oh....there is a forthcoming Marriott Autograph Collection hotel in Elounda that is joining the program shortly so at least for hotel awards there will be another alternative to the BP in the area. (that is if you have MR points)
Old Sep 21, 2015, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by christianj

Oh....there is a forthcoming Marriott Autograph Collection hotel in Elounda that is joining the program shortly so at least for hotel awards there will be another alternative to the BP in the area. (that is if you have MR points)
The Domes of Elounda ( the soon to be a Marriot Autograph Collection Hotel) is one of those small boutique resorts that has been consistently rated very high and on everyone's "best of" lists....I have always wanted to stay there.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Gulf Villas come to my mind. Dome looks nice but beach is very weak (directly at the street). Didnīt stay for status upgrades

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.