Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton San Diego Hotel & Marina, Harbor Island [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton San Diego Hotel & Marina, Harbor Island [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2006, 6:23 pm

Remolded San Diego Sheraton Marina C Lounge

Stay there last Saturday night and wow what a difference a year makes! They have remolded a drab club lounge to a open nicely decorated lounge that you want to spend time in. Saturday night included jumbo coconut shrimp, spring rolls and assortment of cookies nicely presented. Sunday they had the typical continental breakfast. The staff was outstanding ^ I think they have remolded at least some of the rooms as well-it was late when I got in
Old Aug 7, 2006, 6:35 pm

Remolded?
Old Aug 7, 2006, 7:07 pm

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
Exclamation

Oh, I HATE it when they remold a hotel. (As if there weren't enough mold before they redid it!!!)

ugh.
Old Aug 7, 2006, 7:21 pm

Programs: UA GS 3Million, Marriott/SPG LIFETIME Platinum - current Titanium, HHonors Diamond
I just checked out of a freshly molded place on the muggy East Coast. I can't imagine how it would be if they remolded it...
Old Aug 7, 2006, 7:40 pm

My BAD It's remodel ^ You guys are great
Old Aug 7, 2006, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Good to hear! Thanks!
Old Aug 8, 2006, 1:54 am

Programs: SPG, AA: PLAT; Hilton: Diamon, UAL: Premier Exec; IC_PriClub; 308 hours flying Boeing 707's
Top notch lounge

Originally Posted by suitestay
Stay there last Saturday night and wow what a difference a year makes! They have remolded a drab club lounge to a open nicely decorated lounge that you want to spend time in. Saturday night included jumbo coconut shrimp, spring rolls and assortment of cookies nicely presented. Sunday they had the typical continental breakfast. The staff was outstanding ^ I think they have remolded at least some of the rooms as well-it was late when I got in
I stayed there in June and again last week. The breakfast with fresh strawberries, blueberries and rasperries were delectable. I particularly enjoyed the granola and the fresh fruit. When I was there for the San Diego marathon, they kept bringing food up to the lounge right until the cutoff time for breakfast.

In the evening they have a limited bar service. The remodeling really compliments the marina theme of the hotel. To bad the West Tower doesn't have a lounge.

They have two large plasma TV's and a very spacious area. They also removed the annoying bi-level steps they had before. I pushed my way through the Southernmost doors when the girl I'm dating and I returned from the Gaslamp quarter and it was a beautiful view with the city lights to the left, NAS North Island in front of us and the marina to the right.

One nit: I asked for a bourbon on the rocks, the server told me they don't serve bourbon but he'd bring me a Jack Daniels. Being a Kentuckian, I did appreciate his knowledge that the only good bourbon comes from the bluegrass state.

-- CaptainG
from the lounge of the Sheraton Gateway SFO
Old Nov 10, 2006, 12:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM/AA Gold & 1MM/HH Gold/Marriott Titanium
Room Choices at Sheraton San Diego Hotel & Marina

I may book a reservation for next week and the choice is between a lanai room and a room in the West Tower (I think on the lower floors with no view). I will basically be checking-in after dinner and leaving early the next morning for an 0830 flight, probably won't even both with breakfast at the hotel. Does it really matter which room I go with? Is there a big difference? Thx!
Old Nov 10, 2006, 3:07 pm

Programs: AA Plat, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, IC Amb
East tower is where families stay becuz the pools are there. And it is probably a bit louder (especially at the northern end) being closer to the airport. You might prefer the west tower on such a brief stay.

I've stayed at the east tower but have only visted the west tower (a bit more charming, with a Cape Cod style lobby). So can't compare the room quality. If the lanai rooms are the ones in the 2-story buildings adjacent to the east tower, the exterior seems fairly outdated but are more preferable if the pools are your focus.
Old Nov 10, 2006, 9:31 pm

Thanks for the info. I was able to get a much cheaper room at the Sheraton Suites in downtown San Diego but will hopefully get back to the Marina on my next stay. I stayed in the East Tower back in March and got a deluxe room on a high floor, great view. I wasn't sure how this compared to the other tower or the lanai rooms.
Old Nov 11, 2006, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Full report on the different options at this hotel (more than you'd probably want to know) can be found at:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showp...6&postcount=21

Old Nov 13, 2006, 10:44 am

Thanks! Great post!
Old Dec 2, 2006, 8:41 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Bumping this thread and adding to it:

The Lanai wing has a few (6?) "townhouse" suites: two normal-sized rooms on the 2nd and 3rd floors. The bedroom is upstairs, and there's a small sitting area downstairs. There's a full bathroom on both levels and a small bar area with refrigerator on the lower level. For me, the separation meant I really didn't use the sitting area and, in return, I got a small bedroom (since the staircase took a fair bit of space). Unless you have a specific need (e.g., holding interviews or small meetings) where having the sitting area separated from the bedroom is useful, I don't see the attraction. I think I'd rather have a tower room with a harbor view, even though the room is much smaller. The Lanai wing does have its own swimming pool (and hot tub), if that's your thing.

For conference attendees, the Lanai wing is a bit far removed from the conference facilities -- the Lanai wing is further north than the "north tower" portion of the east tower, and the ballrooms are at the south end of the east tower.

The real gem of my stay was the manager's reception, held on alternate Wednesdays in the east tower penthouse, to which they invited SPG Gold & Platinum members. Stellar light food, served by hotel management (lamb chops, breaded scallops, crabcakes, pumpkin mousse served in little pumpkins, "pumpkin martinis"). My only disappointment was that they only invited me by way of a letter placed under by room door during the day, so I almost missed the grand party. If you're going to be there midweek, ask at check-in to see if you're going to be there on a lucky week.

And I'll second the recommendation of Papanani's deli, located halfway between the east and west towers.
Old Dec 13, 2006, 10:39 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Thumbs up Lucky Week Indeed

Originally Posted by rmbl
The real gem of my stay was the manager's reception, held on alternate Wednesdays in the east tower penthouse, to which they invited SPG Gold & Platinum members. Stellar light food, served by hotel management (lamb chops, breaded scallops, crabcakes, pumpkin mousse served in little pumpkins, "pumpkin martinis"). My only disappointment was that they only invited me by way of a letter placed under by room door during the day, so I almost missed the grand party. If you're going to be there midweek, ask at check-in to see if you're going to be there on a lucky week.
Great thread all^ ^ ^
I recently completed a few stays while doing business in San Diego and searching for my new residence in San Diego.
Have been to this property in the past and stayed in both the East and West Towers.
Quite frankly I wasn't that motivated to return despite a current ongoing West Coast SPG point bonus.
Boy was I wrong in my thinking Sometimes perhaps we miss what a property is all about. Judging only by renovation/room standard alone as the make or break aspect.
The Platinum desk pushed me to book here and I am very fortunate I did at their suggestion.
I have since completely changed my viewpoint regarding this property.
Highly positive about the property now ^

First let me say that while I do like the new room standard in the West tower a bit better I am an East Tower kind of guy now. Overwhelmingly the team in the East tower has a number of folks that are simply outstanding.:-:
In recent memory I can't remember when an Starwood property went above and beyond as they did during my most recent visits. Yes the property could use a bit more renovating in the East Tower rooms. That said I would still rather remain in the East Tower simply for what has to be one of the most smashing looking new executive lounges in the nation. It is Ralph Lauren meet marina blue scheme with harbor views.
The lounge also contains flat screen TVs on both sides and a fireplace.
It is simply a relaxing ambience.The club lounge offerings clearly above average.And a complimentary computer at your disposal.
The complimentary breakfast for Platinums has another brilliant aspect.
It is served until 11:00 AM every morning by the helpful staff ^ ^

The kind of service featured on average in the East Tower is what made me the fan of Starwood back in 1999 when they first came on board with a wow factor.
This is exactly the direction that all Starwood hotels should aspire too.
More then a few words come to mind sincere, helpful, outgoing and personable.

There is also a new exceptional pro-active GM on board. It is my opinion that the best is clearly yet to come for this highly satisfactory property in all regards.
If this could become the Starwood culture systemwide I would probably toss more then a few elite tier membership cards out the window and return to Starwood with a Platinum plus gusto. I came to the property as a stranger and left as a friend. If you are fortunate enough to attend one of the twice a month meet and greet parties held on a Wednesday walk don’t run to book a room and attend.Impressive!
With many of the hotels team members it is a great opportunity to not only meet some of the spectacular ladies and gentlemen at this property that look after you like family but dine on some of the finest food and beverage all complimentary. In addition to the above posters experience above add jumbo grilled shrimp to the list too along with some show stopping desserts/pastries.

If this is the direction of where Sheraton might be heading I'm in again with a gusto.Go with the West tower if the newest rooms is your only concern but IMO you lose the exceptional lounge and some of the Sheraton's better assets especially some of their most friendly team members.The lobby too is more unique and social
Thanks to the Sheraton Marina San Diego they make Starwood and San Diego proud ^ Looking forward to my next stay there.......

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Dec 13, 2006 at 11:11 pm
Old Apr 24, 2007, 3:45 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Just returned from an awesome 2 night stay at the Sheraton Hotel & Marina.
As returning plats they upgraded us to a VIP suite on the 12th floor with views of the Marina. I am really impressed with this hotel.

When I have time I'll try and post a trip report-- in the meantime here are our photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ourshot...7600122204927/

Not only did the 2 bath suite have beautiful views of the water & sailboats-- it had a huge private deck with a dining table and chairs.

I think which hotel you choose in San Diego has to do with so many factors-- downtown near the Gaslamp is where you want to be for nightlife. I love the W and the US Grant and recommend them to many friends, but others are looking for a more "San Diego" experience. They don't want urban and edgy-- they want beachy and chill. For them (and I would think families traveling with children) the Sheraton on Shelter Island is a better choice. (It's also really reasonable price-wise for a SD hotel)

I think we're lucky that Starwood has done such a good job with their SD properties. It's hard to go wrong.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.