Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton San Diego Hotel & Marina, Harbor Island [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton San Diego Hotel & Marina, Harbor Island [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2006, 2:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM/AA Gold & 1MM/HH Gold/Marriott Titanium
Sheraton San Diego Hotel & Marina

I will be staying at this hotel in early February. What is the difference between the East & West Towers? Thanks!
Old Jan 24, 2006, 2:05 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by TWA Guy
I will be staying at this hotel in early February. What is the difference between the East & West Towers? Thanks!
About 300 yards. Oh, you probably meant the difference in the facilities.

The west tower is smaller than the east tower, so the west tower has a smaller hotel feel to it. The west tower has Alfiere's Restaurant located within. Also, IIRC, the east tower has been fully renovated. Not sure if the west tower has or not.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]

Last edited by Starwood Lurker; Jan 24, 2006 at 2:09 pm
Old Jan 24, 2006, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
About 300 yards.
That's a big difference
Old Jan 24, 2006, 2:12 pm

Does either tower have a better view of the airport?
Old Jan 24, 2006, 2:17 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by TWA Guy
Does either tower have a better view of the airport?
I'll have to defer to your peers on that one. They also might be able to fill you in on some other aspects of the west vs. the east towers as well.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]
Old Jan 24, 2006, 2:23 pm

Programs: AA MM, SPG Plat., HHonors GLD, Hertz PC
Kidding right?

The view of the bay is right there, a great view of the ship yards and boats... Well, each to their own. It all depends on which Terminal you really want to watch. Terminal 1 is SWA, United & so on - go for West Tower. Term 2 is AA, Delta, Continental, AW, US Airways, etc. - go for East Tower.
Old Jan 24, 2006, 2:31 pm
JMR

Programs: *wood, UA, HHonors
Better upgrades in East Tower YMMV

I've gotten better upgrades in the East Tower, and it has a more interesting view of the Marina (it's right below both, so hard to say one has the "better" view).

West looks directly at the Airport, East is a slight head-turn, but not enough so as you would notice.

I've read some bashing of this hotel, but it remains a favorite of mine.
Old Jan 24, 2006, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by JMR
I've read some bashing of this hotel, but it remains a favorite of mine.
Please elaborate. I did a search and didn't find any bashing. It's obvious the W and Westin Horton Plaza are the preferred properties but I can't justify those rates.
Old Jan 24, 2006, 2:52 pm
JMR

Programs: *wood, UA, HHonors
I can't recall any thread dedicated to hating this property, but there are a few sly zingers about it mixed in with other threads, mostly when comparing it to other Starwood SAN properties.

The zingers are along the lines of the ones I like to toss about concerning what a dump the Westin Rio Mar in Puerto Rico is.

Getting a view of the parking lot in the West tower is no fun, but I've never gotten one as a preferred guess.
Old Jan 24, 2006, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
I have been very happy with this property; no complaints from me. Yes, the W and Westin are nicer, but the prices are much better at the Sheraton. Nothing spectacular about the rooms, but by no means bad.

FWIW....the West Tower was (about 5-8 years ago) operated as a separate hotel under the Westin name. I got some great upgrades. Then, it went back to being Sheraton, one hotel operated together with the East Tower.

If you like the hotel amenities (pool, restaurant, shops, etc), stay East Tower. IIRC, these things not available at the West Tower.
Old Jan 24, 2006, 3:44 pm

Programs: AA EXPlt, SPG Plt, Nat EE
Stayed there last summer and was treated better than I have been at any other *wood property (including Luxury collection). Instead of Plat benefits, the manager on duty greeted us with his "guest of the day" benefit which included parking right at the front door, nice welcome ammenities in addition to the 500 * points and an upgrade to the governors suite. Every morning we had a message asking us how the previous day had gone. My wife certainly felt special and it's worth the 5 minute drive to town.

BTW-we stayed in the west tower. It was about a 5 minute walk to the pool but we didn't have to deal with any noise from it. Fair trade off IMHO.
Old Jan 24, 2006, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I did an extensive and detailed review of this hotel covering all buildings last year complete with pictures and more than anyone in their right mind would want to know.

It starts at Post #21 of this thread which FlyerTalk's "Search" feature quickly found for me:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=330596

You'll find other folks reviews in that same thread.
Old Jan 24, 2006, 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by PremEx
I did an extensive and detailed review of this hotel covering all buildings last year complete with pictures and more than anyone in their right mind would want to know.

It starts at Post #21 of this thread which FlyerTalk's "Search" feature quickly found for me:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=330596

You'll find other folks reviews in that same thread.
Thanks, this is very helpful! I'll stick with my reservation in the East Tower.
Old Jan 27, 2006, 10:09 pm

Programs: Liftime Titanium Elite Marriott
I stay at these hotels almost every week. The W sucks in one word, they dont value plat spgs. They never upgrade to suites even though they have them. I have checked availability just before checking in, and just after, and never get it. They pretend to search and never find anything. As a plat you get two bottles of water every night and a box of chocolates on check-in.

The Sheraton Suites is a great deal. Its 209 if you prepay. They treat plats really well. They offer you free local calls, free internet, full buffet breakfast, and drink coupons. They lack a suitable gym but every other part of this hotel is awesome.

The Westin is not bad as well. However, there elevators are painfully slow. YOu can wait up to 10 minutes to go up or down during busy times. They have an happy hour for plats once a week. I think.
Old Jan 28, 2006, 10:59 am
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
San Diego

1. I like the W, even though they are not extra good about Platinum (I have received upgrade to corner suite, without requesting, but I have also received lousy service).

2. I like the San Diego Hotel & Marina (or whatever the right name is) because they always upgrade in advance (I can see it on the web). One time I got the Governor's Suite, 24 hours in advance, without making a request. (San Diego is driving distance from home, so the family came along to enjoy the suite.) HOWEVER, they are doing major renovations (much needed) and you need to check how that will affect your room.

3. I only stayed at the Suites one time. It was right before a change in ownership and the service was just awful. However, I dont' think that was representative of their normal intentions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.