What is a CAA rate?

Old May 31, 2004, 1:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, UA Gold/MM, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Diamond/Ambassador, Hyatt Explor
What is a CAA rate?

Did a search on but didn't find anything. Can someone tell me what is is?

Thanks
Old May 31, 2004, 1:59 am

Programs: AC, AA, UA, BA, Hilton
"CAA RATE"

"CAA Rate" is the rate offered to members of the Canadian Automobile Association, and is usually the same as the "AAA Rate" offered to members of the American Automobile Association. You'll often see the rate shown as "AAA/CAA Rate". On my CAA membership card, it shows both the CAA and AAA symbols, as the two associations are basically the same, offering the same services (Triptiks, maps, state, provincial and city guides, roadservice, etc.) to members, along with trip planning and travel booking.

bj-21.
Old May 31, 2004, 2:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, UA Gold/MM, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Diamond/Ambassador, Hyatt Explor
I often see the CAA rate lower than the AAA rate. I see some rates are AAA/CAA, but often see CAA rate alone. Why would a CAA rate come up when I request for the AAA rate? I wonder if I could book a CAA rate and not have to show the membership card?
Old May 31, 2004, 3:14 am

Only a guess on my part....but if you're trying to book a hotel in Canada, it may only show as a CAA rate, but I can't see how it could be lower than the rate shown for AAA, because of the exchange rate between the U.S. and Canadian dollar. Example: a rate showing as $100.00 U.S would convert to about $140.00 Canadian. Where did you see a lower Canadian rate than in U.S dollars? I'd be interested to see your example.

bj-21.
Old May 31, 2004, 6:49 am

Programs: AC*SE MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb
I can't come up with an example, but I've seen different CAA and AAA rates too. Usually the difference is because one is a cheaper 21-day prepaid rate and the other is just a regular discount. I'm a CAA member and I use either AAA or CAA rates and would assume that an AAA member wouldn't have a problem getting either rate as well. For that matter, I assume a non-member wouldn't have any problem well, since I've only ever been asked for my card once or twice.
Old May 31, 2004, 1:05 pm
Original Poster

I am looking at booking a stay with 4 Points Sheraton LAX and this is what I see...

1 King Deluxe Non-Smoking Rm, 2 Line Spkphn W/Dataprt, Desk, Roundtrip Airport Transfers, Air Conditioned AAA/CAA Disc.Rate/Id Req'D USD 99.00
Rate details USD 99.00

1 King Deluxe Non-Smoking Rm, 2 Line Spkphn W/Dataprt, Desk, Roundtrip Airport Transfers, Air Conditioned CAA Disc.Rate/Id Req'D USD 69.00
Rate details USD 69.00

1 King Deluxe Non-Smoking Rm, 2 Line Spkphn W/Dataprt, Desk, Roundtrip Airport Transfers, Air Conditioned CAA Disc.Rate/Id Req'D USD 79.00
Rate details USD 79.00
Old May 31, 2004, 2:10 pm

There are various choices--so why not take the $69.00 rate and hope to be upgraded based on your status.
Old May 31, 2004, 5:49 pm

I was also going to point out the 4 points LAX as an example that offered a cheaper CAA rate than the AAA rate. It's pretty rare to see something like that. I just assume it was a mistake and they meant AAA/CAA.

-David

Last edited by LIH Prem; May 31, 2004 at 6:09 pm
Old May 31, 2004, 5:56 pm
Original Poster

I will book the $69 rate and hope that the CAA card will not be needed.
Old May 31, 2004, 6:25 pm

Often, they don't ask, but if they do, hopefully you can produce a AAA card.

I have one res there on the $69 CAA rate, and then in July, another one on the $79 AAA/CAA rate.

I can't produce the quote, but a long time ago, I recall William saying something about that CAA/AAA rates worked for members of either club.

-David
Old May 31, 2004, 6:31 pm
Original Poster

I have AAA, but not CAA. The $69 rate is for CAA members!
Old May 31, 2004, 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by Motion122
I have AAA, but not CAA. The $69 rate is for CAA members!
Yes, but it should be ok. I'm doing the same thing.

-David
Old May 31, 2004, 6:57 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
I have never had trouble getting the AAA rate with my CAA card. They are indeed reciprocal in my experience.
Old May 31, 2004, 7:23 pm

I too use my CAA card to get AAA rates up here all the time. Quite often you can't get CAA rates in Canada (go figure) as they only offer the AAA.

Book it and don't even worry about it. Think of it this way. How often do you even get asked for your AAA card when booking those rates? I think I have been asked maybe 3 times in 2 years (over 200 nights). Worst comes to worst you can just argue (politely) that they are both Automobile Association cards
Old Jun 1, 2004, 1:13 am

As others have posted, (and thanks for the example) I don't think you'll have trouble getting the CAA rate with your AAA card (if you should even have to show it). But this leads me to wonder.....because your example was for a hotel in California, could the separate "CAA" rate be for those members of the "California Auto Club", if there is such a thing, maybe a distinct regional part of the AAA. Or is it some sort of promo for Canucks from that hotel? Anyone think of calling the hotel to enquire about the different rates (AAA/CAA, and CAA by itself) shown on their website?

bj-21.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.