Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

New Plat Member - how do I increase the likelihood of an upgrade to a suite?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2008, 9:24 pm
oc1
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Platinum, United 1K.

Hi -

I just became a platinum member for the first time. I've been reading the threads on here, trying to learn what is the best technique for getting a suite upgrade.

It appears every hotel is very different, however, what is the best thing to say to people at the front desk? Can one see online if they are upgraded prior to arrival?

Do members frequently call the hotel in advance to ask for a better room? Any advice appreciated.

My first stay is in two weeks in Denver, I'll be sure to post back my first time!

OC1
Old Oct 31, 2008, 9:34 pm

Well Hello There,

First, Welcome to Flyertalk and Congratulations on being Platinum. In essence, the hotel MUST upgrade you to the best available room or select standard suite and this is suppose to be automatic. If you have read any of the boards on this site, then you know that is not the case. So, when you check in see if you have been upgraded. Don't be afraid to ask if they have any suites available. Also you are entitled to the access the Club Lounge at Westin's and Sheratons if they have one. You can always put a note in the reservation under special remarks that a suite upgrade is requested. If you feel you were not upgraded properly, contact Platinum Concierge and they should be able to check. And finally let's say there 10 suites available and 12 platinum checking in, well Starwood always sends a list in the order they recommend the guests to be upgraded, however the hotel does not have to follow this list, which is based on 21 classificatoins (# of nights, # of starpoints in your account etc.). Good Luck!!!
Old Oct 31, 2008, 10:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by WScottsdaleInsider
which is based on 21 classificatoins (# of nights, # of starpoints in your account etc.).
Haven't we already discounted the "# of starpoints" one enough times already?
Old Nov 1, 2008, 2:07 am

Programs: Aeroplan, SPG Gold, Fairmont PC Gold, IC Gold
Originally Posted by docbert
Haven't we already discounted the "# of starpoints" one enough times already?
Anyone have a link to the post with these 21 classifications discussed? Couldn't find it with a search.
Old Nov 1, 2008, 5:52 am

If such a list exists, its proprietary information - so you won't find a link to it.
Old Nov 1, 2008, 5:57 am

Originally Posted by oc1
Hi -

I just became a platinum member for the first time. I've been reading the threads on here, trying to learn what is the best technique for getting a suite upgrade.

It appears every hotel is very different, however, what is the best thing to say to people at the front desk? Can one see online if they are upgraded prior to arrival?

Do members frequently call the hotel in advance to ask for a better room? Any advice appreciated.

My first stay is in two weeks in Denver, I'll be sure to post back my first time!

OC1

You can always ask at check-in "Hi. I am really looking forward to staying at your hotel. I was wondering what type of Platinum upgrade you might have available"

Be aware, though, that some hotels call a larger room (i.e., corner) a "suite".
Its a bit disappointing for the desk to say they upgraded you to a junior suite for you to find out its just an "enhanced" room.
Old Nov 1, 2008, 6:27 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by CDNtravler
Be aware, though, that some hotels call a larger room (i.e., corner) a "suite".
Its a bit disappointing for the desk to say they upgraded you to a junior suite for you to find out its just an "enhanced" room.
A Junior Suite usually only is a bigger room. The issue is more when they have a big room and call it a proper suite (a hotel at LAX comes to mind).
Old Nov 1, 2008, 6:38 am

Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
A Junior Suite usually only is a bigger room. The issue is more when they have a big room and call it a proper suite (a hotel at LAX comes to mind).
AFAIK a junior suite may or may not be two rooms - and if only one room, there should be a distinct and noticeable separate sitting area. A hotel I frequent refers to these types of rooms as an executive and not as junior suites.
Old Nov 1, 2008, 6:52 am
Suspended

Programs: UA-1K, Marriott-Gold, SPG-Gold, IC RA/Plat, Amtrak Select
If you call the hotel and speak to someone at the Front Desk or in Guest Relations they may be able to confirm an upgrade over the phone. If they have a suite availible they SHOULD upgrade you to it if you ask. Like the other poster said, if you dont feel you were given a fair upgrade call the Plat Desk and they will contact the hotel on your behalf.
Old Nov 1, 2008, 7:31 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeFairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: National Executive, AAdvantage Platinum, SPG Platinum, FPC Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Benny8444
If you call the hotel and speak to someone at the Front Desk or in Guest Relations they may be able to confirm an upgrade over the phone. If they have a suite availible they SHOULD upgrade you to it if you ask. Like the other poster said, if you dont feel you were given a fair upgrade call the Plat Desk and they will contact the hotel on your behalf.
Actually this is incorrect! C'mon people we have discussed this at length on FT. Here are just some recent links otherwise do a search in this forum for upgrades...

I got the room type i booked at a good price. So, why am i dissapointed?
Everything you want to know about status at SPG
Let's Build a List - Hotels Without "Standard" Suites for Platinum Upgrades
Made to pay for a Platinum "upgrade" for the room I had booked!

Just because a hotel has a suite doesn't mean they HAVE to upgrade you to it. SPG Terms and Conditions as follows
4C.5.In addition to all the benefits of Gold Preferred Guest Membership, Platinum Preferred Guests also receive the following benefits:

a. Upgrades to the best room at Participating Properties at time of check-in, based upon room availability for your entire stay, including Select Standard Suites, except at Aloft and Element properties. Specialty Suites such as, but not limited to, premium view, Presidential, Honeymoon, and multiple bedroom suites are excluded. This benefit does not apply to all-suite hotels. Best rooms are identified by each property and do not include Towers level accommodations unless original reservation is for Towers level accommodations. The upgrade benefit is available for one room for the personal use of the Member only, regardless of the number of additional rooms purchased by the Member.
Upgrades are very variable depending on the property, number of select standard suites, how strict the property determine the T&C's, number of Platinum guests at the hotel, knowledge of the desk agent of Platinum perks, etc etc etc. Now you can do what the other posters have suggested by either calling the Platinum Conciege Desk to check select standard suite availability, emailing the GM(don't abuse this), putting comments in the reservation field that a suite upgrade would be appreciated or just plain asking the desk agent when you check in. YMMV on all these routes. The only guarantee that you get your suite is if you actually book it and pay for it, use cash and points with the current promo at some properties, or call the property directly to see how many points it will take to upgrade to a suite. Good luck!
Old Nov 1, 2008, 8:27 am

Programs: Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Platinum
Your rate of success may also depend on WHY you want a suite. If you want one merely because you just made Plat, and it is a bennie...then the posts below are the way to go.

If you want a suite for a reason...a special occassion, traveling with a 2nd person with health issues, etc - I would suggest calling ahead, explaining the situation, and asking. (I do not suggest making up a scenario or having multiple anniversaries per year )

Marriott rarely upgrades to suites. But I recently stayed for a week in a Cat 7 property, during a convention. My sister had just lost her huband unexpectedly, and she came with me. For obvious reasons, we needed some "space" - and they comped me to a full, ocean front suite for my entire stay.

With SPG's more lenient suite policy, and a legitimate request, it make work out for you.

YMMV, of course. Good Luck!
Old Nov 1, 2008, 8:36 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat Pro, MR LTP, others from cards
Research on FT and book the hotels with lots of suites and a generous upgrade policy. The Denver Westins, for example, have few suites. Older hotels often have more than new ones.
Old Nov 1, 2008, 11:18 am

Programs: Lord OPebble - Mucci of the Hour. Diamond Class MUCCI.Chevalier du Circle Intime de Pucci
I travel extensively in Europe and of all the Starwood Hotels I use, there is only one in Germany, that updates the booking to show if I have been upgraded to a suite about 48 hours before arrival.
Old Nov 1, 2008, 12:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Thank you SleepDoc & sophiegirl.

I've said it before, if you want a suite BOOK A SUITE!

Calling ahead defeats the purpose of the SPG program. Those who say it's ok too call ahead, are most likely to voice a concern when they show up at a hotel and they aren't given an upgrade.

If people call in days ahead to ask for upgrades, then what good is having SPG T&C's??
Old Nov 2, 2008, 6:13 am

Programs: Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by Cheap Elite
Thank you SleepDoc & sophiegirl.

I've said it before, if you want a suite BOOK A SUITE!

Calling ahead defeats the purpose of the SPG program. Those who say it's ok too call ahead, are most likely to voice a concern when they show up at a hotel and they aren't given an upgrade.

If people call in days ahead to ask for upgrades, then what good is having SPG T&C's??

1) I couldn't agree more if it is just for the basic reason of wanting a suite, which I made clear in my post.

2) I disagree. If one is calling ahead due to a special event (or in my case, substantial need) I think that is called "exception to the rule." As I also made clear in stating that one should not abuse or embellish the exception

3) You will NEVER hear me voice a concern about not being given an upgrade. AND I would be more than happy to give mine up if there was a reason such as an anniversary, death, military service etc.

4) See #2

This is not a black and white scenario. Your opinion is yours, but why such an aggressive response when others post an alternative view?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.