Community
Wiki Posts
Search

starwood ruined my honeymoon too...(rant)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2008, 1:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM; Starwood Concierge; Avis Chairman; Sky Club; Delta Reserve
starwood ruined my honeymoon too...(rant)

i have been a starwood member for the last 6 years, platinum for 4, this year downgraded to gold.

the end of september i booked a honeymoon to paris, london and then back to paris. very excited, i arrive in paris with my wife, and check into the westin paris. nice hotel decent room, just a standard, but for europe not bad. the service there however left much to be desired.

the last day at the westin before we flew to paris i decided to call the spg desk, and ask for any type of special treatment they could provide as i was on my honeymoon, and had 2 more reservations (one at the park lane london, then le meridian etoile paris) the customer service rep said no problem and he would be more than happy to call the other hotels and let them know.

so we get to london goto check in and literally was given the worst room i have ever seen in my life. it didnt even have a king sized bed as booked it had a full, and a window directly facing a brick wall...seriously...

needless to say i was pissed, i called spg and after having my first ever full hissy fit, i was moved to a different room. just the fact that they would do this to me on my honeymoon embarrassed me to no end infront of my wife considering with my loyalty to spg was outrageous, combined with the fact that i was paying an astronomical amount of points per night.

finally we got to the le meridian etoile, i will say this, the service there was AMAZINGLY good. when i went to check in the manager came over said congratulations and upgraded us to a jr sized suite. after like 15 minutes in the room they sent up a bottle of champagne, which i thought was incredibly thoughtful.

long story short, starwood lost all of my future business, except for the meridians i have had nothing but good experiences there. originally i chose starwood because they had the best beds, but now all the major hotel brands have comfortable mattresses, so the lack of perks is starting to become apparent, 3-4 years of platinum 1 out of 15 trips would i be upgraded... and their rewards system is horrible. all of my coworkers are hilton diamond and love hilton, so thats who im transitioning to.

starwood needs to seriously pull their head out of their butt, as from what ive heard the majority of their business relies on business travelers. when you arent superior to the other brands loyalty is something you have to rely on, and they just havent figured out its a 2 way street... they have to earn the loyalty of customers...

funny side note, with the platinum amex, which i orginally got for airline lounges, starwood gold status is automatic, so if i do have to stay at a starwood i will have the exact same status as i have now, without having to make one stay to qualify.
Old Oct 7, 2008, 1:17 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Exec Platinum, SPG Platinum / Ambassador / Lifetime Gold, Avis FIRST
Sorry you had a bad time - but it seems to me your gripe is more with the Park Lane London (do a search - many people share your gripe) than with Starwood as a whole.

By your own admission the other two hotels were adequate or better.

I would agree 1/15 upgrades is very very low and much lower than my platinum experience.
Old Oct 7, 2008, 1:31 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Jumpgate
Sorry you had a bad time - but it seems to me your gripe is more with the Park Lane London (do a search - many people share your gripe) than with Starwood as a whole.

I would agree 1/15 upgrades is very very low and much lower than my platinum experience.
I agree. And I wouldn't call 12,000 points per night an astronomical amount of points either, particularly for London. Then again, perhaps it it says more about a London SPG hotel that is only 12,000 per night.
Old Oct 7, 2008, 1:32 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; SPG Gold; OnePass Gold; Avis President's Club
Ummm...I don't see how this is a ruined honeymoon. Seems like a snag that was corrected before you unpacked, then an undeserved jr. suite and champagne at the etoile, which more than made up for an inconvenience. Good luck trying to generate 43,000 views with this story.

Last edited by mrEzE; Oct 8, 2008 at 8:33 am
Old Oct 7, 2008, 1:37 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK*G, EI Elite
You're kidding right ?

So, in short, you're saying your whole honeymoon was runied because you were allocated a bad room, in one hotel, but were moved when you complained about it ?
Old Oct 7, 2008, 1:39 pm
Original Poster

you are spot on, the park lane, was terrible, the westin paris, wasnt great but not terrible. the upgrades never really bothered me that much, as i stayed because i was already locked into starwood. what upsets me the most with the program is the fact that i literally had to threaten to leave the park lane and never stay at starwood again before cust service would call them. i would imagine this threat is why i received such amazing service at the meridian, which kinda taints the experience there, i didnt want preferential treatment because i got pissed off, i wanted that treatment because they were thankful for all the business i gave them, but im not going to let that assumption affect the experience there.

i just feel like i put $100k's of money into starwood that i could have easily done with another brand, then when i have such an important moment, they treat me like crap, which hurts, i mean frequent travelers like us tend to get picky about travel, and you develop a relationship/bond/loyalty whatever with the different chains, and you expect them to treat you well in exchange for your business. unfortunately for starwood this is just the freshest experience in my mind, and most likely the last.
Old Oct 7, 2008, 1:48 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Originally Posted by humperdink
so we get to london goto check in and literally was given the worst room i have ever seen in my life. it didnt even have a king sized bed as booked it had a full, and a window directly facing a brick wall...seriously...

needless to say i was pissed, i called spg and after having my first ever full hissy fit, i was moved to a different room. just the fact that they would do this to me on my honeymoon embarrassed me to no end infront of my wife considering with my loyalty to spg was outrageous, combined with the fact that i was paying an astronomical amount of points per night.
Wow. If that's your idea of a ruined honeymoon, you have an extremely low threshold for pain.

all of my coworkers are hilton diamond and love hilton, so thats who im transitioning to.
Seems like your coworkers haven't heard how HH has changed their upgrade system. Might save you another hissy fit in the future...
Old Oct 7, 2008, 2:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Braindrain
Wow. If that's your idea of a ruined honeymoon, you have an extremely low threshold for pain.

Seems like your coworkers haven't heard how HH has changed their upgrade system. Might save you another hissy fit in the future...
hahah, true, things could have been MUCH worse... besides me having a fit over the hotel everything was great...

how did HH change their upgrade policy?
Old Oct 7, 2008, 2:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
i have been a starwood member for the last 6 years, platinum for 4, this year downgraded to gold.

funny side note, with the platinum amex, which i orginally got for airline lounges, starwood gold status is automatic, so if i do have to stay at a starwood i will have the exact same status as i have now, without having to make one stay to qualify.
What type of upgrade were you hoping for as a Gold?

I've said this before, if it's a special occasion book the room type you want. Don't wish for an upgrade or special treatment because you call, email or fax the hotel and tell them you're a newlywed. The generosity of the hotel cannot be guaranteed.

The OP is Gold elite.

Originally Posted by mrEzE
Ummm...I don't see how this is a ruined honeymoon. Seems like a snag that was corrected before you unpacked, then an undeserved jr. suite and champagne at the etoile, which more than made up for an inconvenience. Good trying to generate 43,000 views with this story.
Originally Posted by FlyingOnceMore
You're kidding right ?

So, in short, you're saying your whole honeymoon was runied because you were allocated a bad room, in one hotel, but were moved when you complained about it ?
Exactly what I was thinking!
Old Oct 7, 2008, 2:51 pm
Suspended

you are spot on, the park lane, was terrible, the westin paris, wasnt great but not terrible. the upgrades never really bothered me that much, as i stayed because i was already locked into starwood. what upsets me the most with the program is the fact that i literally had to threaten to leave the park lane and never stay at starwood again before cust service would call them. i would imagine this threat is why i received such amazing service at the meridian, which kinda taints the experience there, i didnt want preferential treatment because i got pissed off, i wanted that treatment because they were thankful for all the business i gave them, but im not going to let that assumption affect the experience there.

i just feel like i put $100k's of money into starwood that i could have easily done with another brand, then when i have such an important moment, they treat me like crap, which hurts, i mean frequent travelers like us tend to get picky about travel, and you develop a relationship/bond/loyalty whatever with the different chains, and you expect them to treat you well in exchange for your business. unfortunately for starwood this is just the freshest experience in my mind, and most likely the last.
You are Right your HM was Ruined but not by *W but by YOU, for being too cheap and not spending a couple of 1000 pts more per night to have a Suite.

You got what you Reserved!! Who told you to book a reg room?
Old Oct 7, 2008, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by Cheap Elite

What type of upgrade were you hoping for as a Gold?

I've said this before, if it's a special occasion book the room type you want. Don't wish for an upgrade or special treatment because you call, email or fax the hotel and tell them you're a newlywed. The generosity of the hotel cannot be guaranteed.
Exactly what I was thinking!
Well stated Cheap Elite...if the occasion is important...book a suite or have your upgrade confirmed in writing in advance.This is too important to leave to chance.^^^^
Old Oct 7, 2008, 3:23 pm

Programs: United GS, Starwood Platinum
Pathetic
Old Oct 7, 2008, 3:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by lehms
Pathetic
hey...hey..hey. We can disagree, but lets not rude.

Lets hope the OP and any others that THINK calling, faxing or emailing the hotel to plead for an upgrade due to a "special occasion" will remember this "experience" and use it as a lesson learned.

So to clarify.....

:-::-: IF THIS IS A SPECIAL OCCASION OR WANT TO STAY IN A PARTICULAR ROOM TYPE. BOOK THE ROOM TYPE YOU WANT! :-::-:
Old Oct 7, 2008, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most

the end of september i booked a honeymoon to paris, london and then back to paris.....

the last day at the westin before we flew to paris i decided to call the spg desk, and ask for any type of special treatment they could provide as i was on my honeymoon.....

so we get to london goto check in and literally was given the worst room i have ever seen in my life.....
Blah blah blah blah.

Why on earth people expect to have special treatment because they say that they are on their honeymooon or whatever? Wonder how many times people actually use the honeymoon/special occasion/birthday etc excuses to try milking benefits they are not entitled to in the first place?

For your honeymoon you should have booked the accommodation that you could have lived with.

Maybe you should have stayed few more times during one of those double stays promos to qualify for the SPG PLT.

Last edited by holtju2; Oct 7, 2008 at 4:08 pm Reason: typo
Old Oct 7, 2008, 4:24 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HH Gold, AA Lifetime Gold, United Silver, BA Gold
I will totally agree with Cheapelite and others. Humperdink, you should basically blame yourself for ruining (????????) your honeymoon, although I have no idea what exactly got ruined. Do you even know how many Gold Elites must be out there, forget even the Platinum ones. Lastly Starwood never guarantees a particular type of room unless you pay for it, even if you are a Platinum or Super Platinum member.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.