Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Ka'anapali Ocean resort villas [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Ka'anapali Ocean resort villas [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2005, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
FWIW, if you can get yourself into a timeshare presentation, you might be able to oggle yourself a few extra *points. We didn't get an offer when I was there, nor did we want to sit through a 30 minute presentation, but it might be something to look into as well.
Old Jun 16, 2005, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
From the SPG Terms and Conditions of Membership:

Members will earn Starpoints for all qualifying stays;
What about stay credit?
Old Jun 16, 2005, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by aslsigner
What about stay credit?
I got stay credit for my stay at the property back in August.
Old Jun 16, 2005, 2:04 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
What about stay credit?
If you earn Starpoints for the room rental revenue, you earn stay/night credit. There is no way for this to happen where you would not as long as room rental charges are applied. This is why some members get stay and night credit for Preferred (free) Night Awards. The hotel has mistakenly applied their reimbursement rate as room rental charges.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]
Old Jun 16, 2005, 4:03 pm

Not For Me

We stayed in the Westin Maui last year (and will stay again this November). While there we did the tour of the Villas for the points (and because I was thinking about timeshares).

The timeshares are very nice! But, I don't see the cost benefit analysis working out for me. You can get comparable timeshare accomodations at the Marriott that is closer to Whalers Village and the main part of Kaanapali for less than the Westin. There are also many lesser timeshares available in the area for much less than the Westin. Also, if you look at other locations in Hawaii, you have many timeshare options at much lower cost.

I often look at the timeshare sale and rental listings on various websites including the Timeshare Users Group. You can purchase Westin timeshares for a slight discount. But, the point that surpised me recently is all of the offers to rent Westin timeshare rooms in Kaanapali. I was surprised by the number of offers and the amazingly high rates being requested $4-6,000/week for a rental. I will probably be wrong because real estate does seem to just continue to go up these days, including rental rates in Hawaii. But, these rental rates seemed so out of touch with the remainder of Kaanapali that it made me wonder whether people purchased these units with hopes of making a killing on the rental market and they may be disappointed when they are undercut by the competition. Who knows.

For now, I'm going to stick with creatively using points for two rooms at the Westin Maui for a few more years.
Old Jun 16, 2005, 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by slippahs
FWIW, if you can get yourself into a timeshare presentation, you might be able to oggle yourself a few extra *points. We didn't get an offer when I was there, nor did we want to sit through a 30 minute presentation, but it might be something to look into as well.
Actually my offer is package including a mandatory TS "tour".
Old Jun 16, 2005, 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
If you earn Starpoints for the room rental revenue, you earn stay/night credit. There is no way for this to happen where you would not as long as room rental charges are applied.
Is this supposed to ALWAYS be true, even for these VO properties that have different rules? I stayed at the Westin Rancho Mirage in one of the villas earlier this year just to check it out. When I checked my point balance and stay credit, I was given the proper points but no stay credit was awarded because I was told they had "limited participation". I had to fight to get the stay credit and was finally awarded it as a one time courtesy.
It makes sense that one should receive both stay credit and points or receive nothing at all. To give one thing but not the other is inconsistent.
Old Jun 17, 2005, 9:49 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Is this supposed to ALWAYS be true, even for these VO properties that have different rules? I stayed at the Westin Rancho Mirage in one of the villas earlier this year just to check it out. When I checked my point balance and stay credit, I was given the proper points but no stay credit was awarded because I was told they had "limited participation". I had to fight to get the stay credit and was finally awarded it as a one time courtesy.
It makes sense that one should receive both stay credit and points or receive nothing at all. To give one thing but not the other is inconsistent.
This is what it says in the Terms and Conditions concerning this property, and two others:

5. The following properties have limited participation with Starwood Preferred Guest. Members will earn Starpoints for all qualifying stays; however as this is a vacation villa property, upgrades, late check out, and other in-hotel benefits are not available. Also, Free Night Awards are offer in the hotel but not the Villas.

Participating Properties:
1386 Westin Kierland Resort & Villas, Scottsdale, AZ
1098 Westin St. John Resort & Villas, Great Cruz Bay, St. John, USVI
1369 The Westin Mission Hills Villas, Rancho Mirage, CA

There are Starwood Vacation Ownership properties where one would not earn stay/night credit, but they are listed in the Terms and Conditions as well.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]
Old Jun 18, 2005, 9:08 am

Programs: spg platinum: aa platinum
Having looked at, & stayed at, both Westin, and Marriott properties, we finally purchased at Westin Villas. There is absolutely no comparison to facilities, or service at the two. If you are looking for a nice upscale vacation with room to move about, the Westin timeshare is the only one.
You definitely pay for that better service, much nicer, larger accomodations, but after the flight to Hawaii, it makes it worthwhile! Just depends if you prefer better or cheaper.

Originally Posted by sdflyer04
We stayed in the Westin Maui last year (and will stay again this November). While there we did the tour of the Villas for the points (and because I was thinking about timeshares).

The timeshares are very nice! But, I don't see the cost benefit analysis working out for me. You can get comparable timeshare accomodations at the Marriott that is closer to Whalers Village and the main part of Kaanapali for less than the Westin. There are also many lesser timeshares available in the area for much less than the Westin. Also, if you look at other locations in Hawaii, you have many timeshare options at much lower cost.

I often look at the timeshare sale and rental listings on various websites including the Timeshare Users Group. You can purchase Westin timeshares for a slight discount. But, the point that surpised me recently is all of the offers to rent Westin timeshare rooms in Kaanapali. I was surprised by the number of offers and the amazingly high rates being requested $4-6,000/week for a rental. I will probably be wrong because real estate does seem to just continue to go up these days, including rental rates in Hawaii. But, these rental rates seemed so out of touch with the remainder of Kaanapali that it made me wonder whether people purchased these units with hopes of making a killing on the rental market and they may be disappointed when they are undercut by the competition. Who knows.

For now, I'm going to stick with creatively using points for two rooms at the Westin Maui for a few more years.
Old Jun 18, 2005, 8:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United MM- Marriott Titanium - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum
Agree with the above post, no comparaison possible beetween the Marriott and the Westin timeshares..
Old Jun 19, 2005, 9:03 am

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
Originally Posted by sdflyer04
There is one other aspect of the SVO program one can consider. SVO ownership is much less expensive at other properties and one's ownership can be transferred. The primary advantage one has in buying at the Hawaii property as your "home" property is that you can book your reservations 11 months in advance, whereas if you own elsewhere, you can only book 8 months in advance.

I don't know how heavily booked the Maui property gets, and I would assume at Christmas it would be completely filled with Maui owners, but I would think that at other times of the year, if you have some flexibility, you would be able to use your ownership credits purchased elsewhere at Maui.

I could be wrong, and of course, it is not guaranteed, but if overall cost of SVO ownership is a primary concern, one can consider this alternative.
Old Jun 19, 2005, 11:29 am

[QUOTE=JerryFF]There is one other aspect of the SVO program one can consider. SVO ownership is much less expensive at other properties and one's ownership can be transferred. The primary advantage one has in buying at the Hawaii property as your "home" property is that you can book your reservations 11 months in advance, whereas if you own elsewhere, you can only book 8 months in advance.

I don't know how heavily booked the Maui property gets, and I would assume at Christmas it would be completely filled with Maui owners, but I would think that at other times of the year, if you have some flexibility, you would be able to use your ownership credits purchased elsewhere at Maui.
QUOTE]

Actually, owners book at their home resorts at 12 months out rather than 11. Technically, the owners can book between 12 - 8 months, and then at 8 months people from other Starwood Resorts that belong to the Starwood Vacation Network can try and exchange into Maui. (I believe that ability to exchange in is what the previous poster was referring to, when they mentioned you can transfer your ownership.... because it's not an "ownership transfer" it's an exchange, based on the value of what you own Starwood. There are many Starwood intervals that don't have the point value to exchange into Maui for a vacation at all.

Lastly, according to Starwood...... Maui is the MOST requested exchange location in the SVO network of resorts. It is my experience and understanding that High Season for Maui is the Winter/Spring and school summer holidays, but that most anytime of year is challenging to exchange into. When I was there in February, I met only OWNERS of Maui, no exchangers..... because it was high season and many "snow birds" have purchased multiple weeks at Maui to avoid the weather in the mid-west.
Old Jul 21, 2005, 11:32 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, Marriott LT Platinum
[QUOTE=sfbenning]
Originally Posted by JerryFF
There is one other aspect of the SVO program one can consider. SVO ownership is much less expensive at other properties and one's ownership can be transferred. The primary advantage one has in buying at the Hawaii property as your "home" property is that you can book your reservations 11 months in advance, whereas if you own elsewhere, you can only book 8 months in advance.

QUOTE]

Actually, owners book at their home resorts at 12 months out rather than 11. Technically, the owners can book between 12 - 8 months, and then at 8 months people from other Starwood Resorts that belong to the Starwood Vacation Network can try and exchange into Maui. (I believe that ability to exchange in is what the previous poster was referring to, when they mentioned you can transfer your ownership.... because it's not an "ownership transfer" it's an exchange, based on the value of what you own Starwood. There are many Starwood intervals that don't have the point value to exchange into Maui for a vacation at all.

Lastly, according to Starwood...... Maui is the MOST requested exchange location in the SVO network of resorts. It is my experience and understanding that High Season for Maui is the Winter/Spring and school summer holidays, but that most anytime of year is challenging to exchange into. When I was there in February, I met only OWNERS of Maui, no exchangers..... because it was high season and many "snow birds" have purchased multiple weeks at Maui to avoid the weather in the mid-west.
As an owner of a villa in Maui, it is nearly impossible to book your unit. The way I understand it is that the number of villas available to owners is based upon the number that have been sold. The remainder of the inventory is sold as hotel rooms. So, there are villas available if I want to pay the nightly rate, but I cannot have that villa as one of my weeks because it is not in the ownership inventory due to it not being sold enough times yet. I find this more frustrating than trying to use award travel!
Old Jul 21, 2005, 6:37 pm

[QUOTE=smcmona]
Originally Posted by sfbenning

As an owner of a villa in Maui, it is nearly impossible to book your unit. The way I understand it is that the number of villas available to owners is based upon the number that have been sold. The remainder of the inventory is sold as hotel rooms. So, there are villas available if I want to pay the nightly rate, but I cannot have that villa as one of my weeks because it is not in the ownership inventory due to it not being sold enough times yet. I find this more frustrating than trying to use award travel!
Sorry you are having a problem. I just called 2 weeks ago and had my choice of weeks in Maui starting 2nd week in January thru February. I was coordinating with our other timeshare - Marriott KoOlina in Oahu. No problem with reserving either one - and both are gorgeous in beautiful surroundings. Last year we did the same and also stayed an extra night at the Westin in Maui. This year we will try the sheraton for a night.
Old Jul 22, 2005, 6:22 am

Programs: spg platinum: aa platinum
Wow, I had no trouble booking my unit, last year or this year. First phone call and it was done, and my mom also booked for the same week and had no trouble. Have you waited till it is close in time?

[QUOTE=smcmona]
Originally Posted by sfbenning

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.