Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Ka'anapali Ocean resort villas [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Ka'anapali Ocean resort villas [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2013, 8:55 pm

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by singtx
Our offer came with a 185 Avis credit. Read your offer... There is a direct link to Avis and all I have to pay is 70 in taxes. It's a great offer, and 5k spg points on top of that!
I had the same offer on my first trip to Maui, nearly a decade ago. It's a good deal.
Old Mar 3, 2013, 9:51 pm

Referral

Please, any owner that would like to refer PM me.
Old Mar 4, 2013, 12:15 pm

Programs: UA Silver, SPG/Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by DCF
It strikes me that you've had plenty of blessings already, and that separate rooms for you and Mrs Crazygrow might be a good thing

Seriously, SVO properties are timeshares owned by their erm, owners, and they don't get upgraded on their stays and you certainly won't on yours. I paid $70K+ for my Westin Kaanapali timeshare plus $2.5K per year fees, and I'd be pretty disappointed if an SPG Gold or Platinum got an upgrade (based on their loyalty elsewhere) that my own tens of thousands of dollars invested at that property didn't get.
I was upgraded last October as a Platinum. I booked two island view studios with points and ended up with a connected ocean view 1BR and studio. It helps to go during the off season, and to be very specific about what you want (connecting rooms were important to us).

The upgrade isn't guaranteed, of course. If you want guaranteed connecting rooms I'd either book with the extra points or deal directly with a timeshare owner (through redweek etc.).

The connecting rooms are really two separate units (often with a short hallway in between) so not ideal if you are planning to have kids in one unit and adults in the other. Otherwise the villas are great for traveling with kids.

I think the owners check in/out on Saturdays so sticking with that schedule may give the resort more flexibility to upgrade you...but be aware that there can be more lines at the front desk on Saturdays.
Old Mar 4, 2013, 12:40 pm

lookin for referral as well, please pm

TIA
Old Mar 5, 2013, 1:01 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium Elite, VSE/MVC Chairman's Club
Originally Posted by stargazer10
I was upgraded last October as a Platinum. I booked two island view studios with points and ended up with a connected ocean view 1BR and studio. It helps to go during the off season, and to be very specific about what you want (connecting rooms were important to us).
You booked with SPG points, right? So a different set of rules apply to your booking than to those booked using ownership, as those units came out of a different "pool" (weeks owned by SVO, or weeks converted by owners to SPG points).

Originally Posted by stargazer10
I think the owners check in/out on Saturdays so sticking with that schedule may give the resort more flexibility to upgrade you...but be aware that there can be more lines at the front desk on Saturdays.
Normal ownership (using home resort at 12-8 months out) check-in days are Fri/Sat/Sun; however, it is possible to check-in/out on other days if your booking is for more than a week (using StarOptions at less than 8 months out) -- either your check-in or check-out (but not both) have to fall on a Fri/Sat/Sun in that situation. If you booked for less than a week (StarOptions at less than 90 days out), any day is possible.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by DCF
Seriously, SVO properties are timeshares owned by their erm, owners, and they don't get upgraded on their stays and you certainly won't on yours. I paid $70K+ for my Westin Kaanapali timeshare plus $2.5K per year fees, and I'd be pretty disappointed if an SPG Gold or Platinum got an upgrade (based on their loyalty elsewhere) that my own tens of thousands of dollars invested at that property didn't get.
Gotta remember that SVO owns some of those units directly, or was given use of them when an owner converted their week to SPG points, or through denied use if the owner didn't pay their MFs.

As long as they are keeping the unit pools completely self-contained (there is some speculation that SVO may be cherry-picking the good weeks/rooms/etc, as the process is not transparent to owners), they can happily upgrade away, etc. without impact to owners, as our unit pools are different.

Same issues apply to exchangers via II getting anything other than an Island View unit...
Old Mar 5, 2013, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by Seattlenerd
Yes, you'll need a car if you want to go anywhere other than the immediate Ka'anapali area. I don't recall a rental desk at the hotel itself (but there may be one nearby).
I seem to recall seeing one at the Sheraton.

All of the major car rental companies have a location just up the highway before the regional airport -- they'll come pick you up and drop you off at your hotel, just call their local number.

There has been a free shuttle service between the various Starwood properties in the area and a small shopping center, but much of the cool stuff on Maui you need a car to get to, unless you book a third-party mini-bus tour.
The shuttle runs two loops, one (every 30mins?) between the two hotels and the villas and a second (every hour?) that heads in to Lahaina (stops at the Hilo Hattie I think it was) with stops at the Cannery Mall and the other mall across the street from there (can't remember the name of it)
Old Mar 13, 2013, 4:05 pm

Programs: AA UA Delta. HH Diamond, PC Platinum, Club Carlson Gold, Hyatt Diamond
I'd like to have some idea about the choice of 5000 Starpoints vs $75 resort certificate. Are the food and service in the resort over-priced and we can easily find restaurant elsewhere?

Thank you!
Old Mar 13, 2013, 4:16 pm

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by milemission
I'd like to have some idea about the choice of 5000 Starpoints vs $75 resort certificate. Are the food and service in the resort over-priced and we can easily find restaurant elsewhere?

Thank you!
If you have a car, you can easily find food and beverage elsewhere. But the prepared food in the on-site "market" isn't horribly overpriced compared to other close options, as I recall.

The Starpoints would need to be redeemable at 1.5 cents per point or more to make it equivalent. That can be relatively easy to do. But it boils down to convenience.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by singtx
Our offer came with a 185 Avis credit. Read your offer... There is a direct link to Avis and all I have to pay is 70 in taxes. It's a great offer, and 5k spg points on top of that!
Any way I could use just the Avis part of the offer? If so, anyone willing to PM me?
Old Mar 13, 2013, 10:43 pm

Programs: AA UA Delta. HH Diamond, PC Platinum, Club Carlson Gold, Hyatt Diamond
If you have a car, you can easily find food and beverage elsewhere. But the prepared food in the on-site "market" isn't horribly overpriced compared to other close options, as I recall.

The Starpoints would need to be redeemable at 1.5 cents per point or more to make it equivalent. That can be relatively easy to do. But it boils down to convenience.
Thank you!
Old Mar 14, 2013, 8:05 am

Programs: Nexus/GE, UA/MPG, Bonvoy Tit, LTP
Originally Posted by milemission

Thank you!
A car certainly opens up more options but if all you want to do is sit on the beach and dine out then it is not absolutely necessary.Our personal impression was that Pulehu, the Italian restaurant on site was a little overpriced and overhyped. The two more casual eateries are typical resort prices but the food is fine for casual dining.

If neither of those work for you Dukes is a 5 minute walk north alomg the beach and there are other restaurants a 5-10 minute walk south in neighbouring resorts. You can also catch the free shuttles to both Whaler's Village or Lahaina where you will have plenty of choices in all price ranges.

This link is to the Vacation Owners website and provides some photos and information that may be a little more detailed than on the spg.com or westin.com sites. It's a great resort and I would recommend it.

http://www.starwoodvacationnetwork.c...-villas-north/
Old Apr 2, 2013, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by Fizzer
A car certainly opens up more options but if all you want to do is sit on the beach and dine out then it is not absolutely necessary.Our personal impression was that Pulehu, the Italian restaurant on site was a little overpriced and overhyped. The two more casual eateries are typical resort prices but the food is fine for casual dining.

If neither of those work for you Dukes is a 5 minute walk north alomg the beach and there are other restaurants a 5-10 minute walk south in neighbouring resorts. You can also catch the free shuttles to both Whaler's Village or Lahaina where you will have plenty of choices in all price ranges.

This link is to the Vacation Owners website and provides some photos and information that may be a little more detailed than on the spg.com or westin.com sites. It's a great resort and I would recommend it.

http://www.starwoodvacationnetwork.c...-villas-north/
Appreciated!
Old Apr 2, 2013, 11:57 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Starwood Gold
beautiful resort indeed.

We are island view owners here and SPG Gold.
We were upgraded to full ocean front upon checkin week (Easter week to boot!). The views this morning are stunning.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 9:46 pm

Programs: AP, AS, BAEC, HH, SPG, FPC, PC
We got another offer!!!!

We were just there in July 2012 via a similar offer from Westin Vacations (mailer received in mid 2011), the only difference is we were offered 7,000 points the last time and we're only offered 5,000 points this time.

I don't really care cuz it's still a great deal $798 (no tax) for 6 nights plus $70 in taxes for a car is a darn good deal!!!

Before I get too excited, has anyone else gotten 2 offers in a roll and subsequently had their offer rescinded because they were given one within the last 2 years?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.