FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest-429/)
-   -   What is SPG "Preferred Plus" Status? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest/318300-what-spg-preferred-plus-status.html)

johnlw May 3, 2004 3:15 pm

What is SPG "Preferred Plus" Status?

When I signed up for the Starwood Amex Platinum card, my SPG status was changed from Preferred to Preferred Plus. I can't find anything on the SPG or Amex web sites which explains this level. Am I entitled to any additional benefits over the base level? Thanks.

(Sorry if this had been addressed before. The forum search function takes out the word "plus", even when I use quotation marks.)

choptliva May 3, 2004 4:46 pm

From a relative newcomer to you, welcome to FT!
SPG preferred plus is about the same (read not worth much) as spg gold, except you don't get the 50% bonus in *pts and your card does not look as nice. You get the same "preferred room upgrade" (what that means varies from hotel to hotel and from time to time) and other gold benefits. Before you get the wrong impression, the "upgrade" sometimes is actually meaningful (as a gold, I've gotten decent upgrades at various properties, and ranges from corner rooms, rooms to better views, larger rooms, etc., to nothing at all).
Yes, there have been previous threads on this, but hey, it doesn't take long to type a short answer ;)

Marysunshine May 3, 2004 4:48 pm

And late check out. ^

AAJunkie May 3, 2004 10:26 pm

Over the past 3 years, I have only received one room upgrade at the Westin Bonaventure in LA. 90% of the time my Gold status isn't even acknowledged by the front desk person. The best Gold perk is the 4pm check-out, which I have used numerous times.

meecal May 4, 2004 1:10 am

Originally Posted by AAJunkie
Over the past 3 years, I have only received one room upgrade at the Westin Bonaventure in LA. 90% of the time my Gold status isn't even acknowledged by the front desk person. The best Gold perk is the 4pm check-out, which I have used numerous times.

Sometimes you have to push the issue. At a recent check-in at the Westin at Our Lucaya on Grand Bahama Island, the guy behind the desk tried to deny that I was entitled to a room upgrade as a Preferred Plus member. I walked him over to the cardboard display 4 feet from him and pointed to the info on it. I promptly received an upgrade (not that it was much of an upgrade) from island view to marina view.

BTW, is it a pet peeve of anyone else's that these huge companies run these promotions and then don't educate their employees. I often have to explain promotions to the employees instead of the other way around!

johnlw May 4, 2004 7:47 am

Thanks for the responses everyone. I find it curious that Amex/Starwood promote this (minor) upgrade in status, then fail to explain anywhere what it entails. I'm so glad to have found these boards and discover all the useful info within them.

ijgordon May 4, 2004 9:47 pm

When I got my Preferred Plus card in the mail, there was literature explaining exactly what the benefits were.

jral Nov 3, 2004 12:41 pm

Is there something called "Preferred Plus"?

I just noticed in my AAA/CAA membership booklet, it lists the many benefits of Automobile Association membership.
One benefit is listed as: "Complimentary access to the Preferred Plus tier of the Starwood Preferred Guest rewards program"

Pardon my ignorance, but is there even such a thing as a Preferred Plus tier, and is that supposed to be higher than regular membership? I'm confused.

Thanks in advance!

KhalilSheikh Nov 3, 2004 11:24 pm

Preferred Plus gives you the most coveted perk of all...

...a free water bottle. :D

greentea Feb 2, 2005 9:35 pm

What is "Preferred Plus"?

I just received mail from SPG that I have been offered "Preferred Plus" status with a new card showing a letter "B" in front of my old membership number.
I could not find any reference to this category at their web site.

Is anyone familiar with this category?

railroadtycoon Feb 2, 2005 10:33 pm

Its between Preferred and Gold. If you either have an AAA membership or Starwood AMEX you're acount gets upgraded to Preferred +.

KhalilSheikh Feb 2, 2005 10:54 pm

An extra bottle of water in your room. :D

CaseyN2 Feb 3, 2005 5:06 am

Also includes AARP members.

moulder3 Feb 3, 2005 7:45 am

From what I remember the only perk is the late (4pm) checkout option. It's basically the same as the corporate SPG card (if those are still around).

pinniped Feb 3, 2005 8:10 am

At the Colorado Springs Sheraton, they called me in my room to invite me to the lounge for breakfast the following morning. They said they'd noticed a Preferred Plus member that didn't have a room in the concierge level area, so they wanted to make sure I knew where it was. I thought that was nice. (We had adjoining rooms with specific bed/smoke requests, which is probably why the front desk didn't give us concierge level to begin with.)

I don't think a concierge level upgrade is to be expected with Preferred Plus by any stretch, but I thought it was nice that the hotel took notice and followed up with us about the lounge.

We have the status thanks to the SPG Amex.