Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The US Grant - San Diego, CA [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The US Grant - San Diego, CA [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2006, 6:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IC Platinum Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Arrow The US Grant - San Diego, CA [Master Thread]

Originally Posted by tfong007
I have been staying in this city for the last 6 months. The work on this hotel is happening slowly. I cant see them completing things any time soon. The room renovations are not close to being completed and you can see the doors and windows for the rooms all being open. The only thing that is functional on that entire block is the Bruggers bagels.

I am exciting about this hotel, but the area around the hotel is a slum. The only glimmer of hope is Horton's plaza. I have seen people dealing drugs in broad daylight directly across the Mint on Broadway. Unless the city of San Diego starts to clean up the drug and gang activity on Broadway its not good for visitors.
I was walking by the Hotel today and noticed it is now open. They opened on Tuesday October 17th. They had a grand opening of about 400 people according to the Front Desk Manager.

Appearance: The place looked beautiful--you could still tell they still had a small ways to go with the little things like refinishing the sidewalks and some small interior touches. The Front Desk Manager stated that only floors 3-6 were open with none of the suites available to mid-late November. Suites were on the 8th floor and above. The rooms looked nice with unique paintings done by an author they had flown in (each room has it's own unique painting). They will have 47 Suites available

Platinum Amenities: No Lounge that the concierge or Front Desk Manager knew of. According to FD Manager they will supply a plate of indigenous fruits and cheeses with non alcoholic drinks at this time. I believe the standard suites were available as upgrades but not the speciality suites. There was no mention of and SPG preffered floor today.

Misc. The staff was very polite and helpful. They were excited to welcome an Ambassador today. They are still going through growing pains meaning they are not to current on all the benefits and upgrades available to SPG members.

All in all a wonderful addition to SPG in San Diego--I would give it about a month before it hits full stride.

sdcarver
Old Nov 20, 2006, 12:57 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Thumbs up

Just returned from an awesome 2 night stay at this property.

I'm putting my notes together now and soon as I have a moment I'll post a detailed trip report.

This property is a wonderful addition to the Luxury Collection.

BTW-- It will not stay a Cat 4 for long (It is nicer than the St. Regis in LA we used to stay at) so if you're planning a points get-away, this has to be the best deal in San Diego.

Last edited by damon88; Nov 20, 2006 at 1:01 pm Reason: To add a "Thumbs UP"
Old Dec 8, 2006, 11:01 am

Programs: AA EXP 5MM, DL DM, Bonvoy Titanium, Avis CHM, National VIP
Anyone have any recent experiences at the US Grant? I'm headed to San Diego with my family after Christmas for the Holiday Bowl and am looking at an award stay here. Any comments on upgrades, location, service, etc? How does it compare to Westin Horton Plaza?
Old Dec 8, 2006, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
Originally Posted by DFWFlier
How does it compare to Westin Horton Plaza?
I would consider the USG a luxurious hotel, worthy of being in the Luxury Collection. I would consider the Westin Horton Plaza to be a very nice chain hotel, with little personality. (Having said that, I often stay at the Westin, as it meets my needs......very nice, but just a "chain.")
Old Dec 8, 2006, 1:30 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Thumbs up Trip Report US Grant Hotel

Trip Report US Grant San Diego November 2006

We had high hopes for this hotel, so the fact that it exceeded our expectations is a resounding endorsement.

As local San Diegans, we have watched the renovation with interest, especially when we heard that the budget had stretched from $26 to $52 million. The hotel certainly looked beautiful from the outside, but we were curious to see if the interior would live up to the hype.

It does.

As Plats, we weren’t certain what to expect on an award stay (1 promo night, 1 on points), but were definitely pleased when we were upgraded to a suite on the 10th floor. (There are 11 floors total—270 rooms and 47 suites)

Check in was smooth, and the staff, from the doorman to the desk to the bellman were attentive and professional--- worthy of a luxury hotel. The building retains its historic Beaux Arts style. The lobby is stunning-- black and gold inlay, travertine lined, an Italian marble grand staircase, and beautiful chandeliers.

Our room was wonderful—a well-designed suite with over 700 square feet of living space. The entrance has wide plank hardwood and a little foyer that opens into a separate living room with an LG 42 inch Plasma set and Bose sound system.

The sitting area had a small loveseat and two armchairs. There was also a desk/work area in the corner.

The bedroom was more spacious than most, with its own 32 inch LG, large sitting chair with ottoman and 4 drawer bureau (plus the typical wardrobe closet). The walls in the bedroom and sitting room all had custom crown molding. The ceilings are 9 foot high.
Although I’ve heard that some rooms have special views, ours was city skyline.

The bed was sumptuous—high thread count Italian sheets, thick down comforter and 7 pillows (4 king- 3 against the headboard). The headboard, by the way is a custom piece of art by the French artist Yves Clement (which matches the artwork in the living area).
There was a Sony Dream machine on the nightstand.

The window coverings were great-- linen shades plus thick- black out drapes. The carpets were incredible—probably my favorite of any hotel I’ve stayed at. Not only were they beautiful—but they were soft New Zealand wool—wonderful to walk on with barefeet, and custom designed to look like Oriental rugs with dark wool borders*.

We were happy with the bathroom—It was large, with oversize travertine tiles and a huge walk-in shower (no tub) with a Kohler rain shower head (I wish they had used Grohe- they are really superior). There was a white stone counter vanity with raised basin sink and Gilchrist & Soames bath products. (and black robes—I’ve never seen those at a hotel before).

The service at the hotel is extraordinary. Right after our arrival we were surprised by a welcome note and gift from management—cheese and fruit trays, crackers, a bottle of Sonoma Cabernet and a bottle of Pellegrino.

Since we are so familiar with the local restaurants we had decided to test the room service and we ended up ordering 4 different meals. We were not disappointed. I can recommend the Chino salad, the pasta with Jumbo prawns and the breakfasts. Room service was prompt and efficient.

A few more notes.

Parking is expensive downtown ($28 per night). Depending on your plans, you might save the rental car fee and parking and take cabs. The hotel is near to many local attractions (Gaslamp, Petco, Balboa Park etc).

We didn’t have a chance to check out any of the extras at the hotel—the bar, the (acclaimed) Grant Grill, the rooftop terraces or the spa. (The hotel also advertises in-room spa service)

There still are some kinks to work out. Our Melitta coffee maker (I would have preferred the typical kind) had no outlet to plug into and when we did re-locate it near a plug, it only produced lukewarm tepid coffee. (The hotel compensated by rushing up a steaming pot gratis).

The furniture is also less comfortable than the furniture we’re used to in other upscale Starwoods. I’m afraid they put style before comfort.

I know that we were lucky to get a suite upgrade this time, but I believe that the regular rooms are fairly large (around 400 sq. ft)

The bottom line is that this hotel will get our business and we’ll highly recommend it to our friends.

*http://www.nourison.com/afront/press...tml#renovation
Old Dec 8, 2006, 2:42 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by damon88
Here's our trip report: ^

Trip Report US Grant San Diego November 2006
Excellent trip report, damon88. Very thorough and helpful. Thanks! ^
Old Dec 8, 2006, 3:11 pm
tnw

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt
Thank you damon88. Based on your great report I just booked our stay there. Hope we enoy it as much as you did.
Old Dec 8, 2006, 3:34 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by tnw
Thank you damon88. Based on your great report I just booked our stay there. Hope we enoy it as much as you did.

I hope you do too. It was pretty cool to be the very first guest in a room. Maybe you'll be lucky that way too.

Let us know about your stay when you return--
Old Dec 8, 2006, 11:15 pm

Not Quite Wowed by Grant

I also stayed two nights at the Grant last week. Aside from the service, which was warm, solicitous and refined throughout the hotel, including in the Grant Grill (although service at check-in was a bit stuffy) -- and once I got over marveling at the beautiful lobby -- I cannot report that I was as impressed by the hotel as was Damon88.

Two days before my stay I received an e-mail from Jessica, the Guest Relations Director, confirming my stay and expressing the hotel's excitement at welcoming a Plat member, as well as a phone call. The phone call was appreciated, although Jessica sounded somewhat young and unseasoned at her job. She inquired as to the time I would be checking in and ended the call by saying she hoped to meet me.

I never saw Jessica at check-in (but, then, I also did not ask to introduce myself to her). At check-in, I was welcomed as an SPG member (but not as a Plat member) and offered the superior (standard) room that I had booked on award. I requested an upgrade and was given a corner deluxe, which was available with two beds but not in a king-bed configuration (which I inquired about even though my reservation was for a double room). I did not inquire about a suite because I decided I needed the two beds after all should my local friend decide to join me, and I knew I would never be given a 2-bedroom suite.

The corner room was spacious and elegantly decorated for the most part: The cloth-paneled art on the wall serving as the headboard was a unique and lovely design element; the wool carpeting was the most attractive I'd ever seen to adorn the floor of a hotel room (and, yes, it was comfortable to walk on with bare feet) and gave way to wengewood-colored, Pergo-type, wide-plank flooring in the closet foyer; and the room's blue/black/brown/ivory color palette is one I've thought of using in my own home. The style of the TV credenza, desk and nightstand, however, was a tad gaudy for my tastes. On the whole, I found the decor rather feminine (which is fine for me, as I'm female, but I would've expected something more gender-neutral).

Perhaps there is a chest of drawers in the king deluxe room, but there was no chest in the double room. The small closet only compounded the scarcity of clothing storage space, so all my clothes stayed in my suitcase.

While black bathrobes are elegant, they are a poor color choice over the long term because black simply attracts too much lint. The bathrobe that I donned had several pieces of lint on its lining -- granted, not a lot, but that was only because it hadn't been laundered that many times yet.

This post is getting bogged down in details so I'll cut to the chase about why I was not wowed by this hotel.

1. No Platinum amenity choice. This hotel does not offer Starpoints. My amenity was a bowl of fruit and a bottle of Panna water.

2. Lukewarm water in the shower. I can deal with a low-flow shower (also plagues the Grant), but I like my shower to be hot, and the water just never really heated up, even though I tried showering at different times of the day. When I asked the front desk about this, the clerk confirmed that the water never gets very hot.

3. Uncomfortable bed (too firm). I have stayed at all of the SPG hotels in San Diego, and this bed was the least comfortable to me. As always when I am particularly pleased or displeased by a mattress, I untucked the bedding to read the mattress label: Sealy Posturepedic Palatial Crest Pillowtop. I generally prefer Simmons.

4. Crisp sheets. The sheets may be 300 thread-count and Italian, but for the moment they are more crisp than soft. Additional laundering may soften them up over time.

5. Loud air-conditioning system when set to medium fan or higher. So at night, I made sure that the a/c was set to medium -- in order to mask the street noise. My room fronted the street on two sides, and, boy, was it noisy at night. Also, the location of the vent in the closet foyer meant that the back third of my room got really cold while the main room did not cool down sufficiently.

6. Looking out my window, the first sight that greeted me was bird turd-encrusted pipes running along the bird turd-encrusted ledge.

7. Minor annoyances: No trash receptacle in the bathroom and heavy drapes that had to be manually pulled open and closed -- i.e., no cord on the side or wand attached to the top of each panel to do the job.

For people who enjoy long soaks in the tub, you should know that none of the rooms has a tub. I asked. I also asked what kind of an upgrade Plats could normally expect. I was informed that the Plat upgrade is a deluxe room -- but perhaps only if you specifically request an upgrade, as I did since none was initially offered.

It's back to the Westin for me next time I'm in San Diego. I like my good night's rest and hot shower in the morning.

Last edited by StarpointsSlave; Dec 9, 2006 at 7:21 am Reason: Correct date of stay and clean up the text
Old Dec 9, 2006, 2:39 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

1. No Platinum amenity choice. This hotel does not offer Starpoints. My amenity was a bowl of fruit and a bottle of Panna water.

You're right about the points! I'm really surprised I didn't notice that I didn't receive my 500 points. I wonder why they're not participating.

2. Lukewarm water in the shower. I can deal with a low-flow shower (also plagues the Grant), but I like my shower to be hot, and the water just never really heated up, even though I tried showering at different times of the day. When I asked the front desk about this, the clerk confirmed that the water never gets very hot.

I like my showers HOT (almost scalding) At home I have one of those Grohe thermostatic controls so that I can set it so much hotter than my husband likes. I didn't think the temp of the water at the Grant was any different than the majority of Starwoods I stay in. Re: the low-flow. Unfortunately, that's Cali law. *Some people* pay their contractor to remove the low-flow device when they install new fixtures, but of course hotels don't have that option. Every hotel in Cali has low water pressure.

3. Uncomfortable bed (too firm). I have stayed at all of the SPG hotels in San Diego, and this bed was the least comfortable to me. As always when I am particularly pleased or displeased by a mattress, I untucked the bedding to read the mattress label: Sealy Posturepedic Palatial Crest Pillowtop. I generally prefer Simmons.

We love Simmons too and have a Simmons Exceptionale Sinclair Luxury Firm Mattress at home. I'm not a fan of Pillowtops, but I like firm mattresses and I thought the bed was comfortable. I did think they might consider adding one of those lovely feather bed tops that the W's have.

4. Crisp sheets. The sheets may be 300 thread-count and Italian, but for the moment they are more crisp than soft. Additional laundering may soften them up over time.

Quality sheets always get softer with time. The only way around this would have been to pre-launder them several times before the hotel opened.

5. Loud air-conditioning system when set to medium fan or higher. So at night, I made sure that the a/c was set to medium -- in order to mask the street noise. My room fronted the street on two sides, and, boy, was it noisy at night. Also, the location of the vent in the closet foyer meant that the back third of my room got really cold while the main room did not cool down sufficiently.

Were you on a lower level? We heard zero noise.

6. Looking out my window, the first sight that greeted me was bird turd-encrusted pipes running along the bird turd-encrusted ledge.

Oops. Sounds like you got a bad location. It's happened to us even at one of our very favorite hotels--- the W Union Square. Nobody told me this, but from the empty halls at the Grant I have a feeling that not all of the rooms are completed yet (they were showing 100% occupancy the night we arrived)

7. Minor annoyances: No trash receptacle in the bathroom and heavy drapes that had to be manually pulled open and closed -- i.e., no cord on the side or wand attached to the top of each panel to do the job.

We had a trash can in the bathroom. That just sounds like one of those silly opening glitches. The drapes were the same as most of the hotels I stay in (W's and Westins) (Most Luxury Collections have the pulls)

For people who enjoy long soaks in the tub, you should know that none of the rooms has a tub. I asked. I also asked what kind of an upgrade Plats could normally expect. I was informed that the Plat upgrade is a deluxe room -- but perhaps only if you specifically request an upgrade, as I did since none was initially offered.

I never use a hotel tub (unless it's outside on the deck like the Tu Tu Tun) but I was surprised they've eliminated them. I'm in real estate and tubs are one of those amenities that people really love.

It's back to the Westin for me next time I'm in San Diego. I like my good night's rest and hot shower in the morning.[/QUOTE]

I suppose hotel preferences really are individual. The SD Westin is my least fav Westin I've stayed at. (It was several years ago though, so perhaps they've updated it) I'm really curious to hear other people's take on the Grant.
Old Dec 30, 2006, 10:42 am

Programs: IHG SE, Bonvoy Plat, DL Plat, UA PPlat, EK Gold
Recent US Grant Stay

Stayed at the US Grant recently and was pleased overall with my stay.

Valet/Bellstand were fast and attentive.

Reception was friendly and smooth and Plat. upgrade noted before I could even ask.

Corner Suite was immaculate, elegant and nicely finished. Not really into the currently hip powder blue thing-it keeps cropping up in a lot of properties. Room was a nice mixture of traditional and new from the ornate plaster moldings to the two plasma TV's. The Bose sound system w/ sub-woofer was a nice touch. Carpets and rugs were very elegant and soft. Linens were crisp and luxurious. I agree the bed was slightly firm but that will no doubt change. Bathroom was small with no place to store toiletries (when I commented on this to the bellman, I was told that all of the rooms are slightly different with no two having the exact same layout). Shower was large and beautifully tiled in marble. There was a heat lamp in the bathroom-something I haven't seen in years. Coffee maker was a sleek pod machine which dispensed by the cup (two free cups were stocked). The coffee was very good. The windows are traditional wood frame and are not as soundproof as metal, thus some street noise could be heard.

Service in the Grill was good but a tad slow. Food was excellent. Many of the hotel employees were retained from before the rennovation and are very experienced.

Overall, I think the US Grant is an elegant property with excellent service and is easily one of the top hotels in San Diego.

Last edited by DCFFlyer; Dec 30, 2006 at 10:52 am
Old Jan 1, 2007, 3:23 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Based on this, would you stay at the US Grant or the W?
Old Jan 1, 2007, 4:12 pm

This has been my experience with Starwood properties in NA across the board with respect to Platinum amenity:

Four Points - 250 points
Sheraton, Westin, W - 500 points
Luxury Collection, St. Regis - local gift only based upon hotel preference

In fact, William has stated this in the past:

Regarding the Platinum amenity, St. Regis and Luxury Collection properties in North America do not have to offer a choice card. They are supposed to deliver a local welcome amenity instead.
Old Jan 1, 2007, 11:26 pm

I stayed at the US Grant for 4 nights a month ago for my first and only trip ever to SD. I had a huge jaccuzzi tub with underwater color-changing lights in my bathroom. The bathroom was beautiful and roomy; it was definately the highlight of the entire stay experience.

Other than the bathroom, the stay was unimpressive for any *wood hotel (with different set of expectations according to the level of hotel of course); it was actually quite disappointig for a LC. I will not return.
Old Jan 2, 2007, 8:36 am

However, given that all the SD downtown hotels require 10K points for redemption, would you really take one of the other options over US Grant?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.