Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The US Grant - San Diego, CA [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The US Grant - San Diego, CA [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2008, 2:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP - CK, DL PM, *Wood Plat, Hyatt Plat, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
Your story is consistent with my experience of the hotel. Nice, isn't it?
Interesting that you were upgraded to the Signature Suite. I was was contacted by the Preffered Guest rep (it was my wife and I's 4th anniv) and when I inquired about the possibility of being upgraded to the Signature Suite, I was told it was an additional $350 / night and was not available to Plat guests as an upgrade. I was there Fri and Sat night this past weekend.

Oh well - kinda bums me out though.
Old Jul 15, 2008, 4:25 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ckg1999
. . . I was there Fri and Sat night this past weekend.
We were there this past Friday & Saturday nights as well. Perhaps I took your Signature Suite.

Seriously, when I arrived to check in at 3:30, they told me the rooms were not quite ready and would be ready in about 10 minutes. At the time, she talked about Legacy Suites. Then, when she came over to us sitting in the lobby about 30 minutes later and gave us the keys, one of the rooms became a Signature Suite, the other a Legacy. So I suspect it had more to do with what was available, and the fact we had been waiting, rather than what was originally planned for us.
Old Aug 5, 2008, 12:55 am

Programs: SPG Gold
Good Morning, Afternoon, or Night to all. I am going to this propety for my 2year anniversary this Labor Day. I booked the Superior Room with a Goverment Rate and thinking about using points for an upgrade. My question is, as a SPG Gold Member do you think I will get another upgrade at check in on top of the points upgrade? Just trying to get the best possible room for the Wifey.

Also, worst case scenario what's the difference between the Superior & Deluxe Rooms?
Old Aug 31, 2008, 10:16 pm

Programs: SPG Gold
Very Good Stay

So.. just got back from my San Diego stay. As previously posted, I booked a "Superior Room". Upon arrival.. was granted early 12pm. check-in/4pm. late check-out and uprgraded to a "Landmark Suite" ^ The Property was nice & staff service was exceptional, especially for me being only a Gold The room was great two flat screen's, two rooms, work-out equipment etc. very spacious. I even recieved a letter from the manager & was sent up dessert for my Anniversary. I would definitely recomomend the US Grant for the Flyer Talk masses.

I must say though, my next stay in San Diego I am going to stay at The W. A Real Swanky spot more my type and full of party-life twenty something's like myself
Old Mar 17, 2009, 12:08 am

Programs: CO-plat, SPG-plat
I stayed at this property last week (completing my tour of each and every San Diego Starwood ).

The hotel is located directly across from Horton Plaza. The staff has impeccable service, and the lobby conveys the ambiance of an upscale property.

The US Grant has very nicely appointed rooms, but prepare yourself for limited real estate. I received a suite upgrade and probably had a Landmark Suite as described by previous posters. The room was the smallest suite I have ever seen, but I am nonetheless grateful for the upgrade.

For those wanting to bathe, this room had only a shower stall, and the bathroom was on the smaller side. I was not crazy about the sink design (large bowl sitting on top of the counter) as it reduces counter space to the point of being non-existant (or at least non-useable).

The in-room coffee maker comes with 4 pods of coffee (as opposed to the 2 pods now stocked by Westins and Sheratons), and I actually enjoyed the flavor. I also found 2 complimentary bottles of water.

The sitting area had an oddly shaped loveseat with high armrests. I didn't find it asthetically pleasing or comfortable for sitting. It matched the room's decor, so I presume that's why they chose that design. The comforter was a bit on the heavy side, but the weather still remained cool enough for it to feel comfortable.

If luxury touches such as slippers, turndown service, etc are important to you, the US Grant will much better suit your needs than the other Starwood properties downtown.

Although prepared by previous posters, I felt a bit surprised to find such a small gym located in the basement. To their credit, the gym had adequate cardio equipment as well as an interesting elliptical-type trainer that I'd never seen. The foot pedals not only moved vertically but also to the side. The net effect was similar to the pushing motion of skiing. I enjoyed using that new machine. They have an assortment of free weights but lack a chest press or vertical butterfly (to work pectoralis muscles). The gym offers free bottled water in the mini-fridge.

Now that I have completed my tour of all the San Diego Starwood properties, I have a basis for comparison. Of the downtown properties, I would rank my preferences in decreasing order: Westin San Diego, US Grant, W San Diego, Sheraton Suites and Westin Gaslamp.
Old Apr 28, 2009, 11:06 am

Programs: Delta,SPG, Hyatt
Thumbs up US Grant stay

Recently had a two night stay at the Grant. Booked a standard room and was upgraded to Deluxe corner room four days prior to arrival on SPG.com. ^

Location was great and easy to get to from airport. Arrival was nice, great entrance and employees. Check-in was fast and efficient, no line! Was on 7th floor.

Got a great running map from front desk on a small laminated (around 3 by 5) card. One route took you 3 miles and another 5 (to the sand and some sights).

TV had no HD channels to speak of. Work out room was on the small side but adequate, free water and fruit.

Grant Grill was nice place to people watch and have a drink. Two drinks and dessert set me back 45...Wife asked for blue cheese stuffed olives and they didnt even blink! In fact the employee said she made some fresh ones earlier in the morning!!...pricey, but had fun!

Great pictures all over this hotel of Grant and other iconic figures.

My wife and I will be back.

Only have the Joule to compare within the LC but so far havent been dissapointed.
Old Apr 28, 2009, 8:32 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: SPG
Originally Posted by Totoro
They have an assortment of free weights but lack a chest press or vertical butterfly (to work pectoralis muscles).
You can try weighted push-ups!

Prefer free weights though as there is more control using your pectoralis muscles.

Thyetus
Old Apr 29, 2009, 9:45 pm

Programs: ALL
Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker II
You can try weighted push-ups!

Prefer free weights though as there is more control using your pectoralis muscles.

Thyetus
+1. A recent stay at New Orleans Sheraton made clear that money and effort is being expended to try to make a good workout environment. However, certain fundamentals need to be in place. Essentials in each property should include:

Rubberized free weight dumbells to 60 lbs with associated incline/decline bench and preacher.
Pec Deck
2x Incline/Decline/ Flat bench barbell setups with 250 lbs weight each
Lat Pulldown or better, cable cross station

The absence of any one of these is a serious detriment to any body builder or resistence trainer. Why not have a core standard to which all SPG properties conform to these modest essentials? Why do we have to call and ask, guess, assume, or hope? If it is reasonable and important to a material portion of the guests, and involves little or no additional cost, then why not pay attention to the detail?
Old May 14, 2009, 6:11 pm

Programs: Starwood Platinum,Marriott Platinum, United Silver
HELP w US Grant in San Diego

I currently have a reservation for three nights in early July at the US Grant. We paid 12,000 points per night plus an additional 2,500 to be guaranteed a Grand Deluxe while hoping for a suite upgrade.

I've been checking every few days and C&P just became available. Hard to pass up, I know - I'll end up with 30,000 points being redeposited to my account.

Do people on this board with experience at the Grant have any sense of what type of upgrade a Platinum should get here? Is there ANY reason not to cancel the points stay and reschedule as C&P.

Many thanks!

Steve

Last edited by SanDiego1K; May 14, 2009 at 6:50 pm Reason: Merged without edit into master thread where there is lots of discussion on plat upgrades
Old May 14, 2009, 7:29 pm

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
I'm Plat and will be there this Sat night using 12,000 points (C&P nor 50% OFF was NOT available). Yesterday I received a message from the hotel telling me that my reservation was upgraded to a Legacy Suite. Reading through all the posts here, I'm now looking forward to my stay. I had originally wanted the W-- (but no Award Stay available for this Sat, and rates are a bit too high for my liking). Any suggestions for dining solo near the hotel ??
Old May 14, 2009, 8:04 pm

Programs: CO-plat, SPG-plat
Originally Posted by stevens397
Is there ANY reason not to cancel the points stay and reschedule as C&P.
From my experience (and several previous posters' as well), Plat upgrade will net you a small suite with a sitting area/living room. The actual sleeping area consists of the king bed with a narrow walking area around it, so the only usable area consists of the living room.

Definitely take the C&P as you'll likely end up in the small suite anyway. Please don't take it out on me if you don't

If they have only a small standard room available, you might try to negotiate with the manager for a points-paid upgrade using some of the 30,000 points you saved.
Old May 15, 2009, 7:22 am

Programs: Starwood Platinum,Marriott Platinum, United Silver
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I reserved the C&P shortly after posting, figuring I could always cancel the regular points reservation. Pretty sure that's exactly what I'll be doing. Besides, kinda crazy to get to Platinum and not roll the dice!
Old May 15, 2009, 11:39 am

Programs: Marriott Plat; Hyatt Globalist ; National Exe; Avis Preferred; Delta Diamond
saw the post about C&P being available. . i'm also booked for July 3rd and 4th on an award stay (free platinum bonus claimed) and 12K points for the other night. I've got the award stay for July 4th and points on the 3rd.

C&P is available now for the 3rd (not the 4th but thats fine). .so now i'm left trying to decide do i rebook and pay the $90 to get 7200 pts back???

We're also staying July 2nd at the Sheraton hotel & marina, paying for that night so i can earn a stay for my free weekend award to be used in Aug.
Old May 17, 2009, 6:03 pm

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
Just back from my one night points stay, and I thought it was a great property. As menioned, I was prebooked in a 'Legacy Suite' and when I arrived at 1pm I was given room 707. Large foyer with big bathroom straight ahead -- 2 large modern vessel type sinks with a very big walk in shower. The bedroom was off to the right with the living area in front of it. True, there was not a full wall separating the two, but the areas were very spacious. My living room had a dining room set up as well as a lounge, smal couch and large flat screen tv. The sleeping area had 2 queen beds with another tv. For those who care, the 4 BIG windows opened (slightly ---about 6 inches) for fresh air. My view was limited, but did include Horton Plaza and a view of the Coronado Bridge in the distance. The area could not have been better for shopping, dinning or walking around.... Although, be very aware the section of town, just behind the hotel does get a bit seedy.

Here are some pics: http://www1.snapfish.com/thumbnailsh...NAME=snapfish/

PS- As far as the Platinum amentiy goes, after returning to my room later in the evening and finding nothing, I called down and was told they have decided to give 500 Starwood Points as an amenity rather than delivering anything up to the room.

Last edited by mauld; May 19, 2009 at 6:03 pm
Old May 23, 2009, 6:39 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
We had one stay in April and one last week in May and I am more impressed with the Grant each time we return there.

They certainly know how to take care of loyal guests.

This really is an exceptionally beautiful hotel with great service.

If you order from room service you must try the gnocchi- the room service food comes from the (highly acclaimed) Grant Grill.

It's amazing how much "vacation" we can squeeze into a 1 night stay there.

We really love this hotel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.