Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The US Grant - San Diego, CA [Master Thread]

The US Grant - San Diego, CA [Master Thread]

Old Sep 1, 2007, 12:06 am

Programs: SPG Platinum
Have stayed at this hotel 8 times. It is a great hotel. 6 out of 8 stays was upgraded to suites as a platinum member. Twice was upgraded to a Luxury suite which does not participate in the room upgrade program. came with two king beds and a 10 by 10 shower. everyone is great there, and yes i plan several more stays this year.^
Old Sep 1, 2007, 10:42 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Starwood SPG Platinum, Fairmont Premier
I was charged for a Platinum Upgrade at The US Grant

Sounds like everyone here has had a great experience here, but I was just charged to get a suite upgrade at this hotel. Read my story of the experience here.
Old Oct 4, 2007, 3:40 am

there are suites w/ 2 beds in the room? r they having any rolleraways at their suite?
Old Oct 4, 2007, 8:42 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Starwood SPG Platinum, Fairmont Premier
They don't have rollaways at this hotel due to room size and fire code restrictions. They do have a suite with 2 kings but they will charge you extra for it if you are a Platinum (well they charged me anyway).
Old Oct 31, 2007, 7:43 am

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Gold Elite
Can anyone tell me if there is non-hotel parking closeby? I have 5 nights booked over New Years and don't really want to pay hotel parking rates.

Thanks!
Old Oct 31, 2007, 4:30 pm

Programs: AA mm, Hilton Dime, Hyatt Xpl.& PC Plat, Miracle Fruit-su club
Originally Posted by CarNut
Can anyone tell me if there is non-hotel parking closeby? I have 5 nights booked over New Years and don't really want to pay hotel parking rates.

Thanks!
Try google maps and type in 'Parking San Diego'

Looks like there's several in the area, the closest is an Ace Parking lot at 225 Broadway - but looks like parking isn't cheap anywhere downtown.
Old Nov 12, 2007, 1:15 pm

Programs: FB Plat/SPG Plat/HH Gold/LHW/SLH/SK Silver
Just booked an executive suite for $239. Seems to be available most of Thanksgiving week under the Travelzoo promotion code SANTVZ. I find it strange that the junior suite and executive suite both price out at $239. The Luxury Suite is also available for $329 and deluxe rooms for $189.

Wondering if they might upgrade me from exec suite to luxury suite? Do they generally upgrade a category if you are already paying for a speciality suite?
Old Jan 4, 2008, 8:28 am

Just back from a 5 night stay at the US Grant. Among other issues with the hotel and the staff, BEWARE OF THE ROOM SERVICE PRICING DIFFERENCES.

The door handle card and the hotel information binder both have lower prices than what is shown on the Grant Grill menu in the room and of course, the menu pricing is what shows up on the bill.

There were pretty signficant differences (i.e. oatmeal was $6 on the card and $11 on the menu). We had to send the bill back on 4 of the 5 mornings, and the only explanation given was that the door handle card and the binder hadn't yet been updated.
Old Jan 4, 2008, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
Originally Posted by CarNut
Just back from a 5 night stay at the US Grant. Among other issues with the hotel and the staff, BEWARE OF THE ROOM SERVICE PRICING DIFFERENCES.

The door handle card and the hotel information binder both have lower prices than what is shown on the Grant Grill menu in the room and of course, the menu pricing is what shows up on the bill.

There were pretty signficant differences (i.e. oatmeal was $6 on the card and $11 on the menu). We had to send the bill back on 4 of the 5 mornings, and the only explanation given was that the door handle card and the binder hadn't yet been updated.
Other than that...how was your stay?
Thinking about staying here in July with two young kids....3 1/2 and 2...do they have a nice pool area?
Old Jan 4, 2008, 9:20 am

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
Originally Posted by bsdstone
...do they have a nice pool area?
I don't think this hotel has a pool of any sort.
Old Jan 4, 2008, 9:21 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG LT Plat, AA 3MM EXP
Signature Suite

The Signature Suite is SWEET. It looks exactly like the pictures on the web. One thing to note about the one that I got is that it's tucked far in the back with only a very partial view of the street and about 80% views of other hotel room windows (and a lot of bird poop).

They did bring a very nice cheese tray and the service was excellent throughout the stay. It seemed that they really had to "pull some strings" to get us this suite, which was apparently outside of the normal Platinum upgrade suites (I used points in mid-December)

One very cool thing is the shower in the Signature Suite: it's about 150 square feet (huge) and has that brand new Kohler shower you see on TV: shower heads angled from above, down the middle, sides, everywhere. Wife loved it. I'm more of a solid stream kind of guy but still thought it was a very nice touch. Also had a large shower seating area.
Old Jan 4, 2008, 9:29 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Will be at the US Grant starting Jan. 11 for 4 nights as a Platinum. Will keep my fingers crossed for a decent upgrade. Sadly with the way my upgrade luck has been going with *W over the last year I will get a "upgraded" standard room overlooking the A/C units or the dumpsters! If I cannot score a suite....any recommendations on room #'s to request or stay away from?
Old Jan 4, 2008, 9:45 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG LT Plat, AA 3MM EXP
Originally Posted by christianj
Will be at the US Grant starting Jan. 11 for 4 nights as a Platinum. Will keep my fingers crossed for a decent upgrade. Sadly with the way my upgrade luck has been going with *W over the last year I will get a "upgraded" standard room overlooking the A/C units or the dumpsters! If I cannot score a suite....any recommendations on room #'s to request or stay away from?
YES! There are 4 rooms on each floor that are literally next door to the elevator. These MAY be small suites but I don't believe I'd want them due to elevator noise (your preference may vary). Keep in mind that each floor has an elaborate "elevator lobby" before you enter the halls and these rooms are in that lobby--picture: room door, elevator 1, elevator 2, room door. They literally are that close to one another.

I would definitely request a room way down at the end (quite a walk from the elevator), overlooking the gaslamp district. I hear the regular rooms are smaller than most, so if you're stuck with a "basic" room, I would use your pull to get the best view possible.
Old Jan 4, 2008, 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by christianj
We had an x27 room - view onto 4th Avenue. Not much to look at but better than A/C units, dumpsters or birds. Decent size room and decent size bathroom with a window. Only noise was occasional talking in the hallway.

Be aware that the hallways can be long - x27 was far enough away from the elevators to avoid any noise but close enough not to be a hike.
Old Jan 5, 2008, 3:50 pm

Programs: AA EP 4+ million miles, Ambassador+ Elite
US Grant

I just stayed there for the 3rd time and had 2 rooms. Both were deluxe rooms with great views. Ask for a room upgrade before you arrive. I thibk the rooms have been elegantly renovated, baths are great for an older hotel; the staff was excellent and the food quite good. We enjoyed ourselves and just stayed at The St Regis Monarch Beach for 7 nights...had a great time there.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.