Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The US Grant - San Diego, CA [Master Thread]

The US Grant - San Diego, CA [Master Thread]

Old Jan 12, 2016, 12:07 pm

Programs: UA 1k, US Airways Silver, SPG PLT, Marriot Gold, Hertz PC
This place was great to me when I stayed over the weekend. Concierge took care of our lack of planning and got us a solid table at a downtown restaurant when they weren't taking reservations. Fruit tray in the room, suite upgrade cleared.
Old Jul 2, 2016, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
US Grant San Diego

The US Grant - A Luxury Collection Hotel

Map| 2 Reviews | 100% Recommended

326 Broadway San Diego, CA US 92101

US Grant San Diego (12 Photos)

When I visited San Diego I looked for a hotel inside the centre. I also stayed at the Park Hyatt Aviara but I found a city hotel to be more conveniant for Balboa Park and the Zoo. I found the US Grant to be the best choice as it seemed to be a nice historic hotel. From the pictures I liked it.

Check In

The hotels has a good covered drive. I arrived early at the hotel and as my booked Legacy-Suite wasn´t ready. I got an upgrade to a Signature-Suite. I was told it had no view but normally I don´t decline upgrades. Also view isn´t everything.

The door was efficient, the parking fee ridicolous high.

The lobby is really nice with great marble, chandeliers and nice seating areas. It was one of the more classy lobbies I have seen in my life.

From outside the US Grant also represents some glance of glory days. It looks elegant and you like to stay here.

Room

The Signature Suite was one of the more interesting suites I had in my life. It was one huge room with 2 King beds what is quite unusual. It had also a seating area with sound-system and a dining table. All rooms at the US Grant has big standing mirrors which are a nice toch in my eyes. Beds were comfortable, but one kept unused....

0488 SD US Grant.JPG0489 SD US Grant.JPG0490 SD US Grant.JPG0491 SD US Grant.JPG0494 SD US Grant.JPG0495 SD US Grant.JPG

One of the most interesting things was the bathroom. I read it had a 10 x 10 foot shower what didn´t tell me too much. Indeed the bathtoom itself wasn´t too big with toilet and two sinks.

0500 SD US Grant.JPG0501 SD US Grant.JPG

The highlight was the shower room which was the biggest shower I ever saw. In some hotels the bathroom is smaller. To be fair showering itself wasn´t very conveniant as there wasn´t a hand-held shower and the overhead showers weren´t really strong. Size isn´t everything.....

0502 SD US Grant.JPG0503 SD US Grant.JPG0504 SD US Grant.JPG

Now the view! OK, it is not really a view but as I said not too important.

0496 SD US Grant.JPG

If I had paid for the suite I would have been angry. As an upgrade the view doesn´t matter. I guess they normally use this suite for upgrades.

Service

I can´t say negative things about service. Front desk was very friendly and I got everything I needed.

Dining

Breakfast was served at the Grant Grill and was an a la carte menu. Quality was very good and srvice attentive. The credit did not cover the whole bill, perhaps I ate a little bit too much.

The hotel is in the middle of Gaslamp-quarter just opposite the Westfield Horton Shopping Centre. I like the area also you see some homeless people around and it´s not in walking distance to the main spots like Balboa-Park or USS Midway. Can not speak about public transportation as I used my rental-car.

Amenities

The hotel doesn´t offer a pool but you can use the pool of the Westin Gaslamp quarter. I didn´t try.

Overall

I was satisfied with my stay and would recommend the hotel. It has a lot of history and offers good comfort. The rooms are modern and the location good for a city hotel.

US Grant San Diego

Would you like to write a review on the The US Grant - A Luxury Collection Hotel?

No, thank you.
Yes

Last edited by offerendum; Jul 2, 2016 at 8:38 am
Old Jul 3, 2016, 9:21 pm

Thanks for the review, I am considering staying here next month
Old Jul 4, 2016, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by Htowntraveler
Thanks for the review, I am considering staying here next month
Thanks
Old Jul 14, 2016, 3:01 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
Does this place give any push back on benefits being applicable to 2 rooms booked via FHR? Basically getting the $100 credit for each room.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 11:43 pm
Original Member

The hotel is undergoing lobby renovations for the next couple of months. I'd appreciate feedback on how much impact this will have on guests. (For us, the gorgeous lobby is the big attraction; if the lobby is closed or its atmosphere is significantly impacted by the renovations we'll postpone our stay.)
Old Oct 23, 2016, 10:58 am

Staying at the property for my first time. A couple notes:
Valet is up to $48 per night.
The platinum breakfast (must choose in lieu of 500 points) is now $20 per person credit at The Grant Grill. They serve a Sunday brunch that goes through 2:30 p.m., but the credit is only valid if you sit during breakfast hours.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by esdot
Staying at the property for my first time. A couple notes:
Valet is up to $48 per night.
The platinum breakfast (must choose in lieu of 500 points) is now $20 per person credit at The Grant Grill. They serve a Sunday brunch that goes through 2:30 p.m., but the credit is only valid if you sit during breakfast hours.
20 $ are not really much at the Grill.....
Old Nov 6, 2016, 12:08 am

Programs: UA Million Miler, BonVoyLifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, President's Club,
Considering the property

I'm headed to San Diego next month and this hotel is among the few I'm considering. I'll be staying for meetings and then, meeting up with my best friend who lives nearby with her family.

I'm wondering how the upgrades are treated here. I'm a Lifetime Plat and I prefer suites. I'd like to treat my friend to a few nights away, as her husband has stage 4 cancer. But if the rooms are very small, I would need a suite. Do they upgrade well here or should I not count on anything? I have no SNAs until next year.

Any good reasons to choose this over Westin?
Old Nov 6, 2016, 9:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Some of the suites here are very small but still stylish and fun.
Old Nov 6, 2016, 10:08 am
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Even before SNAs they always upgraded me as a Plat.
This is a Staycation destination that we used to combine
with our opera season tickets. It's a beautiful property.

Last edited by damon88; Nov 6, 2016 at 10:09 am Reason: Typo
Old Feb 9, 2017, 3:30 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt Explorist; Bonvoy Platinum
Considering this property for an upcoming visit to San Diego. Has anyone received upgrades here in the past as a SPG Gold? I'm thinking if I booked a deluxe room I could possibly be upgraded to a Legacy Suite
Old Feb 9, 2017, 3:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by touringuy
Considering this property for an upcoming visit to San Diego. Has anyone received upgrades here in the past as a SPG Gold? I'm thinking if I booked a deluxe room I could possibly be upgraded to a Legacy Suite
SPG Gold is entitled to an enhanced room (higher floor, etc.) of the same category as was booked.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
SPG Gold is entitled to an enhanced room (higher floor, etc.) of the same category as was booked.
I got real upgrades in the past as a gold. Got an upgrade from Legance to Signature here, but without status and in a special case
Old Feb 9, 2017, 6:40 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
Originally Posted by touringuy
Stayed recently during a convention. The check-in person said they see that I am Gold and were happy to confirm my preferences of king bed and room away from elevator. I wouldnt expect much at this property for Gold.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.