Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

was told to switch the room since somebody want to stay in my room

was told to switch the room since somebody want to stay in my room

Old Aug 14, 2017, 7:36 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
But, of course troytos, that's only relevant if you made the second reservation more or less on arrival at the hotel and not in advance, which you seem to imply but stop just short of saying. When did you make the first booking? When did you make the second? Instead of implying, why not just tell us clearly and completely all the relevant facts?

If you weren't gaming the system to get an upgrade to which you weren't entitled, why not just give us all the information instead of feeding it to us in dribs and drabs and only so much as required for whatever point you are trying to make at the moment?
Oh, I'm pretty sure he answered that already in post #68 . He made both reservations at the same time after doing his research and gaming that he could stay in the same room thereby using just one set of SNA. So he only applied one set to the first of the back-to-back reservations.

Originally Posted by troytos
Let me flash my last card or piece of information here. I have back to back reservations. as I mentioned above that I have done the research before I made those reservations that I have a high possibility that I can stay in the upgraded suite and applied my suite nights to the first reservation. ......
Canada101 likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 8:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Ambassdor, Marriort Plat, IHG Spire, Hhonor Diamond, BW Diamond Select, LQ Elite, Hotels Gold
Deleted
Old Aug 14, 2017, 8:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Ambassdor, Marriort Plat, IHG Spire, Hhonor Diamond, BW Diamond Select, LQ Elite, Hotels Gold
Deleted
Old Aug 14, 2017, 8:44 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Not even close yet Dear. My method of booking is more complicated than that.
Dear? Seriously?
Why don't you enlighten us, oh wise one.

Edited to add: once someone quotes you, it is preserved for all to see. Nice try deleting it.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
OP is now likely flagged w/SPG...if there are other shady instances of "gaming", well a lesson will soon be learned.
Presumably William has figured out who he is by now. All the information is there.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 8:52 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Time to end this thread? OP is evasive in answers and clearly gaming the system. Just going around in circles now
KENNECTED likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Finkface
Oh, I'm pretty sure he answered that already in post #68.
Indeed, he did. Don't know how I missed that. (Probably distracted by the racism card played in that post.)
I have back to back reservations. as I mentioned above that I have done the research before I made those reservations that I have a high possibility that I can stay in the upgraded suite and applied my suite nights to the first reservation.
So that seems to answer the question. He knew that he was gaming the system; indeed, he had invested time researching and developing a strategy for how to do it.

With such a clear admission to trying to game the system, he should be bounced from SPG and points forfeited, IMO. AA takes that action for far less serious behavior.
KENNECTED and Canada101 like this.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 9:25 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum (100)
Originally Posted by remymartin
Not taking sides here, but let's not forget it's not possible to apply an SNA last minute (such as in the case of an extension):
Good point other than the OP has admitted that these were back-to-back reservations and not an extension. The OP has made it clear through his various posts that he knew from the outset that he was gaming the system and is quite unapologetic about it. There was always something peculiar about the situation OP described. The more the OP added to his first post, the deeper the hole became.

Last edited by Canada101; Aug 14, 2017 at 9:31 pm
Old Aug 14, 2017, 10:01 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond
Flyertalk was founded in order to teach people HOW TO GAME THE SYSTEM.

All this judgement of the OP "gaming the system" is completely laughable and pathetic.

Unfortunately, the gaming became a lot harder once actual names were attached to flyertalk handles. And flyertalk became a whole lot less useful.

Sorry OP. You're about 15 years too late.
troytos likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 10:13 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Disagree. Flyertalk helps people utilize programs to maximum efficiency -- not game system and break program rules.

For example, info such as ... one usually does not need to use SNAs at xxx property on Wednesdays because they usually upgrade to a suite during weekdays is helpful and helps people maximize the program. Or this hotel is felxible on free breakfasts for children...

Using snas for only half a stay because one can usually demand/ scream/ pull out royalty card is breaking w program rules - and hurts us all long term. The cost of business goes up and thus our benefits are diminished / or staff less likely to help/ be flexible on rules.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by clublounger

All this judgement of the OP "gaming the system" is completely laughable and pathetic.

Unfortunately, the gaming became a lot harder once actual names were attached to flyertalk handles. And flyertalk became a whole lot less useful.
I don't think that what we are seeing here is outrage over someone gaming the system.

I think the judgment comes from the way the OP originally presented his story - that he was outraged because he was forced to move out of his suite mid-stay (with no mention of the back-to-back res or the half-stay SNA), and how wronged he was and boo hoo, don't I deserve compensation for this horrible injustice meted out to poor me. And it is all because I am Asian that this big, bad, racist hotel did this. I demand COMPENSATION and I want heads to roll.

Everyone here acknowledges that the FDC made a mistake by saying he could stay in his (gamed) suite. But once the real story dribbled out, any sympathy a lot of us had for him evaporated pretty quickly. His attitude on being caught out and the boasting about his 'method' to beat the system just compounded the piling on.

So no, I don't think it is judgment about someone walking that fine line a lot of members here walk to get the best flights, seats, room, whatever, that we can. I think it is the way the whole thing was presented as if he was totally innocent, did absolutely nothing to contribute to what happened and that he deserved some big service recovery because he is 'ROYALTY' and they screwed up when the reality is a lot different than originally presented. And the fact that he bullied his way into keeping that gamed suite that he was never entitled to by demanding and yelling and pulling out the royalty card.
KENNECTED, clarkef and Canada101 like this.

Last edited by Finkface; Aug 14, 2017 at 10:20 pm
Old Aug 14, 2017, 10:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by clublounger
You make an interesting point, one that I thought about for a bit before replying.

It all depends on one's use of vocabulary. At FT, we share information and learn how to make the rules work in our favor, how to optimize the result within the rules. I don't consider that "gaming" the system.

In addition to SHLTP's examples above, I would also add, for example, mistake fares. These are fares which the airline posted and at which it sold tickets. No gaming going on there.

But that's not what was going on here. Perhaps the most telling clue that the OP knew that what he did was improper is the way in which the OP dribbled the information out slowly and only when absolutely necessary, never really told us the whole story, then threw in a distraction (race card). troytos, if you didn't think that there was anything wrong with what you did, why the secretive behavior?

Originally Posted by SHLTP
Using snas for only half a stay because one can usually demand/ scream/ pull out royalty card is breaking w program rules - and hurts us all long term. The cost of business goes up and thus our benefits are diminished / or staff less likely to help/ be flexible on rules.
This.

Originally Posted by Finkface
I don't think that what we are seeing here is outrage over someone gaming the system.

I think the judgment comes from the way the OP originally presented his story - that he was outraged because he was forced to move out of his suite mid-stay (with no mention of the back-to-back res or the half-stay SNA), and how wronged he was and boo hoo, don't I deserve compensation for this horrible injustice meted out to poor me. And it is all because I am Asian that this big, bad, racist hotel did this. I demand COMPENSATION and I want heads to roll.

So no, I don't think it is judgment about someone walking that fine line a lot of members here walk to get the best flights, seats, room, whatever, that we can. I think it is the way the whole thing was presented as if he was totally innocent, did absolutely nothing to contribute to what happened and that he deserved some big service recovery because he is 'ROYALTY' and they screwed up when the reality is a lot different than originally presented. And the fact that he bullied his way into keeping that gamed suite that he was never entitled to by demanding and yelling and pulling out the royalty card.
And this.
Canada101 likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 11:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
But, of course troytos, that's only relevant if you made the second reservation more or less on arrival at the hotel and not in advance, which you seem to imply but stop just short of saying. When did you make the first booking? When did you make the second? Instead of implying, why not just tell us clearly and completely all the relevant facts?

If you weren't gaming the system to get an upgrade to which you weren't entitled, why not just give us all the information instead of feeding it to us in dribs and drabs and only so much as required for whatever point you are trying to make at the moment?
It appears that the OP is now dragged in front of a self appointed Grand Jury. The style is pretty obvious and I normally only experience it when watching Judge Judy. Under the given set of facts it is with all due respect not relevant when he made the second reservation. All this speculation about "intentions" are irrelevant, too, obviously directed against the OP, but have nothing to do with the case:

He officially checked out and was then checked in again and did not simply - as some here would have done - stay in the room. The hotel decided to give him the same room again upon his second check-in and only later tried to correct that by throwing him out of that room. It appears possible that the OP was addressed as patronizing as he describes it. I was not present, I don't know. But ,certainly, it was possible. As possible as the attitude versus the OP in this thread. I am personally out, this will not move anyhow forward.
dsquared37 likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 11:52 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
It seems, having read some of the replies, the OP has elected to delete the first post, which leaves us no option now but to close the thread.

/mod

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.