Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why W hotel does not have executive lounge?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2017, 5:45 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Why W hotel does not have executive lounge?

We all know that the reason why RC platinum member has to pay to get into the lounge and most St.Regis does not have executive lounge , is because they want to keep their brand's image in a ultra high end tier and nothing is free.

However I found that Edition and W hotel both do not have executive lounge, Marriott even put Edition hotel into Ritz's tier instead of Marriott category 1~9.

We all know that SPG brand position is as: St Regis-LC-W

Marriott as: RC- Edition-JW

W is a chic brand but still chain feeling while Edition and Park Hyatt do provide a more exquisite touch and better consistency as a real boutique hotel with different personality in each property that you might not find the W las Vegas kind in Edition or Park Hyatt.Of course more expensive.

At this point, W is into the same level with Conrad and IC or JW, very different in style and catering to different markets, but in the same price rate among those brand so it's fair to put them together.

Since all city JW and Conrad providing free lounge for Elite member, and all W don't , do you think this have more to do with that" SPG wants to make W a higher end brand than that Conrad IC level so only free food at LM Westin Sheraton, but no at W" or

"Whether a brand providing lounge access has nothing to do with brand position or level in this industry, it has more to do with who they trying to attract. Many people come to Conrad and JW for business but most people come W for leisure or party, so they don't need to put an executive lounge or a well business center or meeting room that you see in Conrad or JW at a W hotel or Edition"

What's your thought?

Last edited by Vince Chan; Jul 24, 2017 at 10:11 am
Old Jul 14, 2017, 5:55 am

There are some W's with Club Lounges. The one I've been to is in Guangzhou. I believe there is another one or possibly two in China as well.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 6:03 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
I think you answered your own question - because W caters a different market. I really don't see a lounge fit into W as a standard. This is a lifestyle brand that I believe MaRiot will not possibly be able to manage - the two being at opposite sides of the spectrum.

You are also mixing up complimentary access with brand standards. If any spg property has a lounge you will be entitled to access it as long as you have appropriate status. The same cannot be said for the horrible MaRiot reword programme.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 6:22 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
At W Hotels the "lounge" (or in their terminology the Living Room) is the lobby area with all the seating since they want people to mingle, drink and enjoy the music. A lounge in frequent travelers sense is a place to get free stuff.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 7:09 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by Vince Chan
We all know that the reason why RC platinum member has to pay to get into the lounge and most St.Regis does not have executive lounge , is because they want to keep their brand's image in a ultra high end tier and nothing is free.

However I found that Edition and W hotel both do not have executive lounge, Marriott even put Edition hotel into Ritz's tier instead of Marriott category 1~9.

We all know that SPG brand position is as: St Regis-LC-W

Marriott as: RC- Edition-JW

W is a chic brand but still chain feeling while Edition and Park Hyatt do provide a more exquisite touch and better consistency as a real boutique hotel with different personality in each property that you might not find the crappy W las Vegas kind in Edition or Park Hyatt.Of course more expensive.

At this point, W is into the same level with Conrad and IC or JW, very different in style and catering to different markets, but in the same price rate among those brand so it's fair to put them together.

Since all city JW and Conrad providing free lounge for Elite member, and all W don't , do you think this have more to do with that" SPG wants to make W a higher end brand than that Conrad IC level so only free food at LM Westin Sheraton, but no at W" or

"Whether a brand providing lounge access has nothing to do with brand position or level in this industry, it has more to do with who they trying to attract. Many people come to Conrad and JW for business but most people come W for leisure or party, so they don't need to put an executive lounge or a well business center or meeting room that you see in Conrad or JW at a W hotel or Edition"

What's your thought?

I am discussing the brand position about W and others, he though W in a step higher than IC or JW segment, but I don't feel that way to put W into Luxury.
Have you read these threads?
Suggestion for Ws: Club Lounge - W Style
IMO: W Would be the "Perfect Hotel", if Only they had a Club Lounge (Esp. Asia)

Since when do all Conrad properties have lounges?

My thoughts are you're confusing brands, regional markets, segmentation and loyalty programs to fit your own narrative.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 10:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I do not agree that it's fair to group them together. They may be around the same price, but they have a completely different target audience.

W simply does not have a demographic to support an "Executive Lounge". That's way too formal for the brand.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 10:18 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Moderator note. Some off-topic diversions, personal comments and 'piling-in' +1 posts have been removed.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 4:21 pm

Programs: Marriott & SPG Plat, HH Diamond, Accor Plat, ex-Fairmont Plat, ex-Swissotel Eleva
I have raised this issue before as you can see.

Support for this suggestion is not universal in this forum.

Personally, I agree with much of your comments. And since W has decided not to offer Club Lounge, then it makes my decision to go for Conrad, JW, Westin, LM, or even Sheraton easier.

If I want to pay for luxury, then I would go for St Regis & LCs. W as something in between, seems to be neither here nor there for me as well.

W works for some others I guess. It is a concept that appeals to certain groups of people, and if the hotel continues to attract enough SPG followers, then people have voted with their wallets. If the numbers are not good, maybe someone will consider our comments.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by remymartin
I think you answered your own question - because W caters a different market. I really don't see a lounge fit into W as a standard. This is a lifestyle brand that I believe MaRiot will not possibly be able to manage - the two being at opposite sides of the spectrum.

You are also mixing up complimentary access with brand standards. If any spg property has a lounge you will be entitled to access it as long as you have appropriate status. The same cannot be said for the horrible MaRiot reword programme.
Exactly! 1,000x! ^^

When I saw the thread title I knew the OP would be a Marriott Rewards member.

I can't wait to see the portraits of Willard and JW Marriott hung in the Living Rooms's of W's and BoM's placed in the nightstands
Old Jul 16, 2017, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

re clubs >
luxury hotels primarily in asia, some brands only have club in asia
outside asia primarily nonluxury hotels

why in asia, (much) lower costs and demand from business travelers

re ritz carlton not all of them have club, there is new reserve/residence/etc

re including things, there are independent ultra luxury properties that include everything. (names of such properties do NOT include "all-inclusive") sometimes these properties operate at a loss regardless of high rates.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 9:03 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, AC Elite, Airmiles Gold, Hertz Gold Plus Rewards
....so only free food at LM Westin Sheraton, but no at W" or.
There are no lounges at LMs in general in Europe or North America. Only saw one in Asia at LM Singapore (long gone from the program).
Old Jul 17, 2017, 9:34 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Qatar Airways, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by Medved
There are no lounges at LMs in general in Europe or North America. Only saw one in Asia at LM Singapore (long gone from the program).
NA & Europe are clearly lacking in lounges based on below:

North America:
- LM Chicago - Oakbrook

Europe:
- LM Etoile, Paris
- LM St. Julian's, Malta [leaving in late 2017 to rebrand to a Marriott]
- LM Piccadilly, London

...but that being said, quite a few LM properties in Asia feature lounges - Plaza Athénée Bangkok has one in addition to hotels in Dhaka, Bangalore, New Delhi, Kuala Lumpur, Kota Kinabalu, Chiang Mai and Ho Chi Minh City. Other properties like LM Sentosa and LM Bangkok+Suvarnabhumi offer perks like complimentary drinks and snacks for Plats. Lounges are far more commonplace in Sheratons and Westins, but they're always welcome sights in other brands.

W, however, is NOT a lounge-y brand since they're conceived as a design-focused lifestyle brand that places more emphasis on hip-and-happening than outright business. The only Ws that offer 'lounges' in the sense we know are in Doha, Guangzhou and from what I heard, Beijing - so those alone are going above and beyond the call of duty for the brand.

khabah
Old Jul 17, 2017, 6:16 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
I stayed at the W Guangzhou and would do again because of the lounge.

I don't generally enjoy W hotels and find them and their core customer base a little too relentless and inauthentic for my liking.

But Guangzhou was a nice hotel and the lounge was great. They also upgraded me to a really huge suite.

Next time, I stayed at the Sheraton and didn't get a suite but the lounge did have beer all day in the fridge (three types!) and it was walking distance to Ikea where I needed to buy some replacement bowls for ones that smashed on my kitchen tiles.

Not sure which I'd choose next time. Probably the W I think on balance and only because it has a lounge otherwise the Sheraton would get it.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 9:33 am
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
I am at the W Union Square now and they couldn't be nicer; however, a small lounge would probably make everyones life easier. I took the continental breakfast as my amenity and they brought it ( oj, coffee, some bread, cereal and yogurt) to my double upgraded room and there really wasn't room to eat it. They also brought the bill which was $127 and change. Last week at the Westin Michigan avenue their lounge served a continental breakfast which was a much more pleasant way of having a small breakfast.

I have been staying at Ws since they opened the one on Lexington. Back then I thought it was the greatest thing ever and was in the test program for the W insider (I think thats what it was called) which was like a W club within SPG and lasted a year or two. My point is things change, people age, and maybe the brand should change or adapt with it. I don't think they should count on replacing people like me who get older and like some older style amenities with a whole younger generation when they should want to keep both as customers. As for me, if I was a a 30 something again in NYC on an expense account or for fun there are a lot of boutique hotels out there that I would choose over a W and probably enjoy more.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 7:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Medved
IIRC LM London might have a lounge. I know LM Munich and LM Vienna do not.

In Asia LRM Shanghai and LRM Bangkok (Plaza Athenee) have lounges off the top of my head. I'm sure there are others.

My impression is that Westins in Asia are also much more likely to have lounges. In the USA, some do (Minneapolis Edina Galleria, DTW Gateway) but many do not (Minneapolis downtown, Cincinnati, Chicago North Michigan, Atlanta Peachtree Center, Boston, St. Francis in San Francisco, etc.). Overseas, it's no for Barcelona and Munich but yes for Seoul Chosun (supposedly soon to leave SPG), Singapore, and Tokyo.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.