Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The St. Regis Toronto [Master Thread]

The St. Regis Toronto [Master Thread]

Old Jun 18, 2017, 12:06 pm

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Great news..... never stayed here but any options that are added are good options in my opinion.^
Old Jun 18, 2017, 3:59 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Trump Hotel Toronto May Rebrand as St. Regis

Marriott International is making Canada great again.

Bloomberg article.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 4:55 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by mhdena

All together now, where have you been?
Sorry about that! With my regular contributions to this forum I assumed most would know I was being extremely sarcastic. I believe even a look at my profile would have provided that info.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 7:04 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I always thought that Starwood never had rights to St. Regis in Canada. There is a St. Regis Vancouver, which is a private boutique hotel.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 7:16 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by yvr76
I always thought that Starwood never had rights to St. Regis in Canada. There is a St. Regis Vancouver, which is a private boutique hotel.
This independent boutique Vancouver St. Regis hotel has rights to the St. Regis name only in the "lower mainland of British Columbia."

https://lma.ca/real-st-regis-stand-up/

Apparently Starwood challenged this in 1990 but lost. So we can assume Marriott would aim for a Ritz Carlton in Vancouver since it cannot use St. Regis!

So Marriott does have rights to St. Regis anywhere else in Canada besides Vancouver. Though I'd imagine the only cities Marriott would consider for St. Regis are Toronto and Montreal.

Last edited by bhrubin; Jun 19, 2017 at 1:31 am
Old Jun 18, 2017, 7:41 pm

Hope they manage to make a good run at it. Trump Hotel frequently prices well below anybody else downtown on a $/sqft rate (rooms start at 700sqft) and way below market competitors like Four Seasons. They need to be 2.5x to 3x current Trump rates.

Dividing the Trump rooms into 2 and hitting the same standard as the nearby Sheraton/Hilton would more than double revenue.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 1:17 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Threads merged.

the Trump name
Just a reminder, FT convention is not to discuss politics in a hotel forum, particularly local, domestic politicians which aren't of much interest to most members of our global community ....
Old Jun 19, 2017, 2:49 am

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by bhrubin
This independent boutique Vancouver St. Regis hotel has rights to the St. Regis name only in the "lower mainland of British Columbia."

https://lma.ca/real-st-regis-stand-up/

Apparently Starwood challenged this in 1990 but lost. So we can assume Marriott would aim for a Ritz Carlton in Vancouver since it cannot use St. Regis!
They are also opening up a JW Marriott later this year!
http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...arq-vancouver/
Old Jun 19, 2017, 4:32 am

Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
Threads merged.

Just a reminder, FT convention is not to discuss politics in a hotel forum, particularly local, domestic politicians which aren't of much interest to most members of our global community ....
Yes, thank you. I'm all for jokes and light-hearted smears but these things can easily spiral out of hand quickly (seen it happen too many times).
Old Jun 19, 2017, 11:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by Antonio8069
Wait...........Marriott St. Regis...........which will it be?
Anything with the word Marriott makes me queasy; when you say the name "Marriott" I think tacky, conservative, boring, green carpet, grandmas's drapes, Book of Mormon, and "American" food in an international hotel, and an also-ran caliber loyalty program. The OP and the company that bought Starwood would be wise to keep the words St. Regis and Marriott very separate.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 12:26 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
Anything with the word Marriott makes me queasy; when you say the name "Marriott" I think tacky, conservative, boring, green carpet, grandmas's drapes, Book of Mormon, and "American" food in an international hotel, and an also-ran caliber loyalty program. The OP and the company that bought Starwood would be wise to keep the words St. Regis and Marriott very separate.
fully agreed!
Old Jun 20, 2017, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Same here.
^
Old Jun 20, 2017, 7:54 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by remymartin
fully agreed!
Originally Posted by Aventine
Same here.
^
Old Jun 20, 2017, 8:04 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Before any more +1ers pile on, it's worth actually reading the article :

Originally Posted by the article the OP refers to
The Trump International Hotel & Tower in Toronto may soon have a new name on the door, with Marriott International Inc.’s St. Regis brand seen as the front runner to manage the property, according to people familiar with the matter.
The hotel would be a "St Regis", a brand, as we all know, now owned by Marriott.

@:-)
Old Jun 20, 2017, 2:40 pm

Toronto already has a bunch of modern luxury hotels. I always hoped some vintage icons like the King Eddy or even the Windsor Arms would one day be rebranded St. Regis.

Cheers,

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.