Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Not told I was upgraded to Sheraton Club? / Sheraton Gateway Los Angeles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Not told I was upgraded to Sheraton Club? / Sheraton Gateway Los Angeles

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2017, 10:05 am

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Originally Posted by KevisionB
Thanks for your insight everyone. However I honestly think if there is no relation between SPG floor and Club Lounge access then the signage beside the elevator bank is hugely unnecessary. And it actually then comes off as more of a taunt! Why advertise to the SPG members on floor 14 with specific sign, fairly large (should've snapped a pic), that a lounge they cannot access is directly above them?! Especially when they've probably already realized that with the small inscribing beside the 15th floor elevator button.

I would love some clarification from Starwood Lurker on why that sign is posted at the 14th Floor elevator bank.
Maybe because quite a few Platinums (you know, those SPG members with real earned status), which do get lounge access, would be on the SPG Floor and it would help them to know which floor to use to get to the lounge?

How is it a taunt if you are not entitled to it? Do you also feel taunted when you walk by rooms that say "Suite" on them?

Quite odd that you would be so infuriated first by thinking you got something you were not entitled to, then further taunted by not getting what you were not entitled to. You got exactly what you were entitled to, an upgrade based on availability. An upgrade was available to the SPG floor and you got it.

The rest is much complaining about nothing.
Old May 23, 2017, 11:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I'm SPG Gold for the past few years, my last couple Sheraton stays I've been fortunate enough to get upgraded to the Club level and I've made it worth my while enjoying their hors d'oeuvres, breakfast, and soft drinks.
As you know, your Gold status w/ SPG does not get you club access at SPG properties, although the occasional upgrade/access to club can occur & which you've experienced. But as Gold it's not something to which you're entitled. As others have noted, SPG preferred floor isn't automatic club floor. It just means elites are normally put on those floors & there may be some extra toiletries in the room. And as hhoope01 noted, a simple ask at check-in - do I have lounge access or not - would eliminate wondering. If you want to guarantee club access, you can either book a club room or stay more to get to the Plat level.

Cheers.

Last edited by Oxon Flyer; May 23, 2017 at 1:31 pm
Old May 23, 2017, 11:18 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, DL DM
Not all hotels have lounges, not all of them have them on the top floor. Having a nice, convenient sign let me know they have a lounge and that it is on the top floor is a nice bonus that happens from time to time. You really don't need to think too much about it.

Last edited by Oxon Flyer; May 23, 2017 at 1:32 pm Reason: Remove refence to unnecessary and personal side-discussion
Old May 23, 2017, 11:21 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
As several posts above mine show, based on my long familiarity with the Sheraton brand -- even pre-SPG days -- there are several different concepts at work here:

Club Level floor room which any guest can purchase, and which Starwood hopes many will. That gets the guest access to the lounge and Plats. have access regardless of the floor of their room. (I almost always get solicited to pay for an advance upgrade to a Club floor room, despite my Plat. status.)

Preferred floor - again, as others have said, this is considered an upgrade but won't get Club access unless paid for or via an upgrade or Plat. status.

I understand how these can be confusing to guests, who aren't as familiar with these concepts.

The Sheraton LAX Gateway used to be my go-to property in the area, but a few years ago, when the massive re-do started, I moved to the Westin LAX, which offers a lounge with really valuable evening and breakfast food. Now that Westin lounge is really worth paying the upgrade fee had I no Plat. status.
Old May 23, 2017, 11:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG, SPG Amex, Aeroplan, etc
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
As you know, your Gold status w/ SPG does not get you club access at SPG properties, although the occasional upgrade/access to club can occur & which you've experienced. But as Gold it's not something to which you're entitled. As others have noted, SPG preferred floor isn't automatic club floor. It just means elites are normally put on those floors & there may be some extra toiletries in the room. And as hhoope01 noted, a simple ask at check-in - do I have lounge access or not - would eliminate wondering. If you want to guarantee club access, you can either book a club room or stay more to get to the Plat level.

Cheers.

While I appreciate the semblance of reason to your voice, especially how it offsets against all those platinum 'haters', nobody addressed why that 14th floor sign is there? And it still hasn't been established 100% fact whether or not I actually was upgraded on this recent stay and just not notified.

Last edited by Oxon Flyer; May 23, 2017 at 1:33 pm
Old May 23, 2017, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
While I appreciate the semblance of reason to your voice, especially how it offsets against all those platinum 'haters', nobody addressed why that 14th floor sign is there? And it still hasn't been established 100% fact whether or not I actually was upgraded on this recent stay and just not notified.
When properties go above and beyond, it looks bad for the others. We get conditioned to certain things and expect everyone to be the same. Changes do happen and if something is important to you, you ask. The worst they can do is say no, but at least you tried.

Given that mainly elites are on the SPG Preferred floors, I see the sign about the club a nice touch (there was a time Golds were also invited). If I have access, that's great, I know where to go. If I don't, no harm no foul. Just like putting up signs indicating where the restaurant is located (they aren't all on the first floor).
Old May 23, 2017, 11:51 am

The 4 room types at the property are

* guest room,
* deluxe room (which is a higher level floor),
* club room
* suite.

It sounds like you were upgraded to a deluxe room, which does not automatically come w/ club access.

For that you would have needed to be upgraded to a club level room: "Club Level rooms are located on our private Sheraton Club Level. Enjoy access to the Sheraton Club for complimentary continental breakfast and evening hors d'oeuvres."

Separate from this property: I've been to many properties where certain floors are designated as elite level, but the lounge is on a specific floor & I've had to take the elevator to access it.

So the signage was to let those who had club access know which floor the club was on; a simple courtesy (and probably helped reduce calls saying what floor is the lounge located!).

Cheers.
Old May 23, 2017, 11:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG, SPG Amex, Aeroplan, etc
Originally Posted by KingBraden
Not all hotels have lounges, not all of them have them on the top floor. Having a nice, convenient sign let me know they have a lounge and that it is on the top floor is a nice bonus that happens from time to time. You really don't need to think too much about it.
Unfortunately I do and did need to think about it because as mentioned I seem to get upgraded regularly to lounge access so the sign on my floor presents confusion!
Old May 23, 2017, 12:02 pm

Since you know that as Gold you don't automatically get access & that there are SPG preferred floors that don't have access to the club, it's better not to assume moving forward that an upgrade automatically comes w/ lounge access.

Ask at check-in. They'll say yes or no, but it won't require guessing or involve any confusion on your part.

Cheers.
Old May 23, 2017, 12:24 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, DL DM
Unfortunately I do and did need to think about it because as mentioned I seem to get upgraded regularly to lounge access so the sign on my floor presents confusion!
I see signs like this all over, it is probably best if you don't think about it. Your life to live though.
Old May 23, 2017, 1:12 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
While I appreciate the semblance of reason to your voice, especially how it offsets against all those platinum 'haters', nobody addressed why that 14th floor sign is there?
This property probably has more Platinum guests most nights than they have suites and rooms on the Club Floor. Therefore, many Platinums are probably upgraded to the Starwood Preferred Guest Floor (14th floor and perhaps others). Since many of the guests on the 14th floor have complimentary Club access, through their Platinum status, the sign is a friendly way of reminding those guests of the location of the Sheraton Club. From my own experience, frequent travelers staying in a different hotel each night appreciate this.

The sign is not there to taunt someone who does not have complimentary access.
Old May 23, 2017, 1:36 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
FT Rule : Avoid Getting Personal

Mod note : some posts which didn't advance the discussion have been removed or edited.
Old May 23, 2017, 7:36 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum (100)
From my experience, many (most?) properties I've stayed at over the past few years at least in North America have "Starwood Preferred Guest Floors" but having traveled with non-Plat colleagues, even when I stay on those floors with non-Plats, I have access to the Club but they don't. I don't think being assigned a room to the SPG floor automatically entitles the guest to Club access. Come to think of it, there have been instances where non-SPG member colleagues have been either on the SPG or even Club floor and while I received club access, they didn't.

I've stayed at that property before and, in fact, have been assigned a room on a non-SPG floor but have nevertheless received Club access because of Plat status.
Old May 23, 2017, 10:12 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
People who have earned the right to use the lounge need to know where the lounge is. The signage seems totally correct to me.
Old May 23, 2017, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Thanks for your insight everyone. However I honestly think if there is no relation between SPG floor and Club Lounge access then the signage beside the elevator bank is hugely unnecessary. And it actually then comes off as more of a taunt! Why advertise to the SPG members on floor 14 with specific sign, fairly large (should've snapped a pic), that a lounge they cannot access is directly above them?! Especially when they've probably already realized that with the small inscribing beside the 15th floor elevator button.

I would love some clarification from Starwood Lurker on why that sign is posted at the 14th Floor elevator bank.
So easy and you could have read it if you had taken the effort to read: there are tons of platinum members around and they all have access to the lounge. Not all of them will stay, wish to stay or can stay stay on the Club Floor. I personally prefer a suite on any other floor. The indication that a lounge is on a certain floor can be found in several hotels, a sign in the elevator however does not give you access.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.