Going back to Hilton....

Old Apr 30, 2017, 8:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K/1.5MM, HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz PC, National Emerald Executive
Going back to Hilton....

After very disappointing Q1 promo and no replacement promo in sight for either Marriott or Starwood, I am going back to Hilton, which launched triple bonus points for Diamonds starting tomorrow. I am at 44 SPG nights already, so will definitely requality as Plat before end of the year - but I will take my sweet time and spend next 3-4 months at Hilton properties, most likely.
Old May 1, 2017, 1:24 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by compwhiz
After very disappointing Q1 promo and no replacement promo in sight for either Marriott or Starwood, I am going back to Hilton, which launched triple bonus points for Diamonds starting tomorrow. I am at 44 SPG nights already, so will definitely requality as Plat before end of the year - but I will take my sweet time and spend next 3-4 months at Hilton properties, most likely.
For some this is propably the best idea. I am SPg plat but have also soent 80% of 2017 nights at Hilton, just made more sense since the promos were more rewarding.

In the last 24months I have not been eligeble for a single member exclusives promo so that made jumping ship so to say much easier too.

I am on my SECOND SPG stay for 2017 right now

Lets hope they wake up soon with some decent promotions

Obviously these things are a HUGE YMMV, for some the suites at SPG are a must, for me just so so, The lounge benefit was huge but that doesnt allways work out...
Old May 1, 2017, 4:47 am

I've mostly moved away from SPG as well - pretty much only booking them if there's a lounge or I'm booking multiple rooms at a good rate. I've been back to Choice (ugh) and been toying with Wyndham (almost as ugh) as well as using Priceline bidding for the first time in years.

At least I don't think I'll lose status, as Marriott usually allows you to renew status with points in the spring. Still almost heartbreaking to watch my favorite chain become so much less valuable to me...
Old May 1, 2017, 6:38 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
I've always thought it wiser to assess hotel program membership on the basis of the core benefits and treat any promos as a bonus (as they literally are). You're inevitably going to be continually disappointed and yo-yoing between brands otherwise, which is going to cause disruption and lose you some of the benefits of consistency.

I'm very hopeful that the majority of the benefits I personally take from SPG will be retained through the merger (maybe with some extra benefits from Marriott) and that I'll stay with Starwood. I'm not sure yet what I'll do if not. I concluded that Diamond at Hilton was a bit of a non-event (after 5 years) and I don't usually stay enough at Hyatt to achieve their top level.
Old May 1, 2017, 7:00 am

The biggest problem I have had on going to Hilton over SPG?Marriott or even Hyatt properties are the sub par domestic properties that Hilton has compared to the other chains. I can't think of 1 Hilton property in (the majority of places I work) LA, SF, Seattle, Portland, NYC, Boston, DC, Miami, Austin, San Antonio, Phoenix, San Diego, Vegas, Houston, Atlanta, Sacramento, or Hawaii where I would choose a Hilton over a SPG/Marriott or Hyatt property which is what keeps me using these 2 chains.
Old May 1, 2017, 7:05 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
I've always thought it wiser to assess hotel program membership on the basis of the core benefits and treat any promos as a bonus (as they literally are). You're inevitably going to be continually disappointed and yo-yoing between brands otherwise, which is going to cause disruption and lose you some of the benefits of consistency.

I'm very hopeful that the majority of the benefits I personally take from SPG will be retained through the merger (maybe with some extra benefits from Marriott) and that I'll stay with Starwood. I'm not sure yet what I'll do if not. I concluded that Diamond at Hilton was a bit of a non-event (after 5 years) and I don't usually stay enough at Hyatt to achieve their top level.
I agree, promos are just that a promotion or bonus.

I've said it before, promotions are beneficial when the economy is bad. When the economy is bad you'll recieve global and individual promotions (ie. 2 stay credits for 1 stay) type promotions.

9/11 and the increased use/adoption of "the internet" made it easy for brands to offer and execute promotions/special offers, now people "expect" promotions and at the same level they were in, 2001-2004 and 2008-2011.
Old May 1, 2017, 7:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I think most folk who are interested in points (aka, FTers) evaluate their upcoming stay patterns based on promos, & depending on amount of stays, will frequently do more than one, or start w/ one & switch to the other. It's nothing new/been that way for years. And makes sense when trying to maximize points.

Cheers.
Old May 1, 2017, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by compwhiz
I am going back to Hilton, which launched triple bonus points for Diamonds starting tomorrow.
Hotel chains can use stay programs more as long term loyalty elite programs, or as short term bribery schemes. It's not clear which brings the greater long term ROI to the chain. Do what you need to do.
Old May 1, 2017, 7:54 am

Programs: SPG Platinum (100)
I'm at 73 nights with SPG so far this year and will hit 100 nights again with no issues so I'm also looking to shift paid stays to Hilton where they matched me to Diamond until 2018. I just have a hard time justifying the extra spend on SPG when Hilton has a much more compelling promo especially since a combination of prepaid bookings and points stays will push me above 100 nights at SPG by July.

The Q1 promo worked out for me in the end (although I haven't yet to receive the bonus points!!!) but the lack of a compelling Q2 promo is the kicker.
Old May 1, 2017, 8:25 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mikef07
The biggest problem I have had on going to Hilton over SPG?Marriott or even Hyatt properties are the sub par domestic properties that Hilton has compared to the other chains. I can't think of 1 Hilton property in (the majority of places I work) LA, SF, Seattle, Portland, NYC, Boston, DC, Miami, Austin, San Antonio, Phoenix, San Diego, Vegas, Houston, Atlanta, Sacramento, or Hawaii where I would choose a Hilton over a SPG/Marriott or Hyatt property which is what keeps me using these 2 chains.
Damn...now you have me thinking... In a few of those, I can come up with a good Hilton, but also a good or better Starwood or Marriott. And on a few (Seattle, DC, Phoenix unless you want a resort stay), I struggle to come up with a really top-notch FS Hilton at all.)

I will be hitting the HH promo pretty hard this spring/summer, but a lot of my business trips are to suburban locations where it's HGI/Embassy vs. Spring Hill Suites or maybe a barebones suburban Sheraton. On that level, HH performs very well.

Before anyone jumps into Hilton, make sure you review what has happened to the program and the award structure in the past 3 months. Some of this is devaluation followed by earnings-inflation to keep the Diamonds from running away. Whatever you personally thought HH points were worth before, re-run your math now...
Old May 1, 2017, 10:44 am

Programs: AS MVP/AC75K/AM Gold/UA*S/SPG-Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Accor-FPC Gold/HHDiamond/Hyatt Exp
Bless the free market.

For last nights stay, I had a choice of Marriott, Starwood, IHG and Hilton. The determining factor was the current Hilton promos.

500 App Booking Bonus
2K Nightly Bonus (replaced by a new 3x points bonus for Diamonds as of today)
1K Bonus for Doubletree

So, it was an easy choice.

For me the begging for a late check-out at a Marriott property last week left a bad taste in my mouth, the missing MAGC points that I have to chase with Starwood remain at the back of mind when making my choice as well.
Old May 1, 2017, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Be sure that you're looking at the value of those points, not just "more points". Triple a worthless item is still worthless. I gave up on Hilton long ago, and recent analysis of redemption:earning ratios didn't make it any more attractive. Having a huge number of points when it takes 50% of (huge number of points) for a single night isn't better than a small number of points where you can get the same type of stay for 30% of (small number of points).

Last edited by CPRich; May 2, 2017 at 6:29 am
Old May 1, 2017, 1:16 pm

And you announced this why?

Seriously I never understand the "I am going someplace" else threads. Over the years I have changed my travel options often, but I figure no one else really cares! And the hotel company is not suddenly going to see this and try to court me back, they will see what their bottom line is doing and if they are making what they expect without giving us a promo then... why should they give freebies?
Old May 1, 2017, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
IMO Hilton has the suckiest benefits for top-tiers and the suckiest collection of properties (roughly ~1% of the properties would be considered luxury, and the bulk is your standard low-end, budget stuff).

But - they do have a good rebate program working with their points. So if that's important to you, go for it.
Old May 1, 2017, 3:12 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
IMO Hilton has the suckiest benefits for top-tiers and the suckiest collection of properties (roughly ~1% of the properties would be considered luxury, and the bulk is your standard low-end, budget stuff).
HH Diamond and Marriott Plat are essentially the same thing. Get ready for it, Starwood Plats...

Agree on the thinness of the truly luxury selections. My strategy with HH is to earn in the U.S. on standard business trips where all of the brands are somewhat bland and then redeem abroad where the quality is, generally, a little higher. (At least at the Conrad tier.)

HH keeps jacking with the system, so they have to keep increasing the rebate in nominal terms. Starwood and Marriott have both done a much better job at keeping the value of 1 point reasonably stable over the years.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.