Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

25% Bonus through June 15, 2017 on Converting Starpoints to AAdvantage Miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2017, 8:52 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite

Just received email from AA.

Earn 25% bonus miles when you convert hotel points

From now through June 15, 2017, convert your hotel points to American Airlines AAdvantage® miles, and you’ll earn a 25% bonus on the amount of miles you receive from the conversion.

With the 5,000 bonus on converting 20,000 Starpoints, transferring 20,000 Starpoints will result in 31,250 AAdvantage miles.

Link: http://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-pr...7C%7CHOTELCONV

Last edited by controller1; Apr 28, 2017 at 12:05 pm
Old Apr 28, 2017, 11:39 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Thanks posting.....
Old Apr 28, 2017, 1:35 pm

Programs: Bonvoy ambassador - lifetime plat / Hilton diamond / hyatt globalist / AA CK baby!
Is there anything one should keep in mind if converting about half a million starpoints to aadvantage points under this promotion, other than keeping it to <60,000 points per day (or is it per 24 hour period?)
Old Apr 28, 2017, 2:26 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by stant
Is there anything one should keep in mind if converting about half a million starpoints to aadvantage points under this promotion, other than keeping it to <60,000 points per day (or is it per 24 hour period?)
There's little to no Saaver award availability on AA metal domestically or internationally.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by iadisgreat
There's little to no Saaver award availability on AA metal domestically or internationally.
come on dude...... really? I do keep a healthy AA balance as they have some good partners to redeem on for me Qatar, Etihad, Gulf Air and have used them for very valuable trips.

I wouldn't give up 500k spg points at all right now..... unless you have some kick ... redemptions coming up....I value SPG points 2.5 cpp and AA miles like maybe 1.3-1.5.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 3:51 pm

Programs: Bonvoy ambassador - lifetime plat / Hilton diamond / hyatt globalist / AA CK baby!
Originally Posted by schley
come on dude...... really? I do keep a healthy AA balance as they have some good partners to redeem on for me Qatar, Etihad, Gulf Air and have used them for very valuable trips.

I wouldn't give up 500k spg points at all right now..... unless you have some kick ... redemptions coming up....I value SPG points 2.5 cpp and AA miles like maybe 1.3-1.5.
I fly florida to london on a regular basis and even when all I can find is a BA flight with the extra 1000 or so copay that still gets me about 2 cpp BEFORE the 20% spg bonus and this current 25% aa bonus. If I keep it on american metal I'm more like 3 cpp before bonuses (ie 3cpp AA or 4.5cpp spg with these bonuses). assuming travel in business. I haven't had any problems finding availability a handful of months out.

Why wouldn't you give up the starpoints? I figure now would be a good time to get them out of the account with this 25% bonus and who knows what is happening with the merger next year. I have never been able to get anywhere near that sort of value on redemption either straight out or cash plus points.

again, TIA

Last edited by stant; Apr 28, 2017 at 3:56 pm
Old Apr 28, 2017, 4:16 pm

Yes transfer your points to Mariott and redeemed them as the travel packages 270,000 points (90,000 SPG) will get you 150,000 AA miles AND a cert for a seven night hotel stay (Cat 1-5, can be upgraded to a higher cat at any time paying the point difference).
Old Apr 28, 2017, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by oxfordjames
Yes transfer your points to Mariott and redeemed them as the travel packages 270,000 points (90,000 SPG) will get you 150,000 AA miles AND a cert for a seven night hotel stay (Cat 1-5, can be upgraded to a higher cat at any time paying the point difference).
http://www.marriott.com/rewards/usepoints/morepack.mi

shows 270k marriot points getting you a 1 weeks stay plus 120k AA miles.

with the 25% bonus I'd be getting 141k aa miles.

is the 1 week stay good for 7 nights, ie can i use 7 nights at any time I wanted, including multiple stays, or is it good for one stay of up to 7 nights?

Might still be worth it, given the route I wouls spend the aa miles on that would mean the 1 week stays have a effective cost of about $500 each.

TIA
Old Apr 28, 2017, 5:01 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by schley

I agree on the partner redemption part. Just letting the OP know of the potential (well, actual) pitfalls of having AA miles without an available itinerary.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 5:19 pm

http://www.marriott.com/rewards/usepoints/morepack.mi

shows 270k marriot points getting you a 1 weeks stay plus 120k AA miles.

with the 25% bonus I'd be getting 141k aa miles.

is the 1 week stay good for 7 nights, ie can i use 7 nights at any time I wanted, including multiple stays, or is it good for one stay of up to 7 nights?

Might still be worth it, given the route I wouls spend the aa miles on that would mean the 1 week stays have a effective cost of about $500 each.

TIA
25% on 120k equals 150k

It is good for one stay only, if you do not use the hotel portion you do get some points back, can't remember if it's 45k or 60k I've never used this option as even if not using the cert for the full 7 nights there is lots of value in the hotel portion if used wisely.

Even discounting the 7 nights you'd get more miles than converting directly from SPG.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 6:15 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Originally Posted by iadisgreat
I agree on the partner redemption part. Just letting the OP know of the potential (well, actual) pitfalls of having AA miles without an available itinerary.
I agree. IMHO, AA saver reward availability on their own planes is non-existent.
Delta used to be the worst, and now it isn't hard to find some value there. I would keep the Starpoints and not convert them.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 7:12 pm

Programs: AA-UA-AS IHG-SPG-Carlson
Sweet...!
time to roll another 20K SPG.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 6:07 am

Programs: *wood & marriott plat, Hyatt, Accor
United

Perhaps a better option would be to redeem United miles +10% bonus, instead of AA with 25% bonus? It is easier to redeem with United and star Alliance. I am still new at this, any advice would be appreciated.

Also, how long is the 7 night voucher valid for?
Old Apr 29, 2017, 8:51 am

Keep in mind Marriott has 9 tiers and SPG 7. I love the travel packages, however to find a Category 5 or below property I want to spend a week in, is a challenge. The SPG nights and flights also is an option if you are going to redeem all your SPG points.... you can get some Cat 3 or 4 hotels with the miles as well. You can find some nice Cat 4 hotels with SPG moreso than Cat. 5 with Marriott, although the travel package is a good value I will admit if you can find a hotel.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by SC Alum

Also, how long is the 7 night voucher valid for?
They are valid for a year, can be extended for another year by phoning up.

As mentioned before the Marriott packages can be upgraded to a higher cat by paying the difference in points unlike SPG nights and flights.

Great to have all these options at the moment with both programs still running!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.