Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Add Child cost more for same room?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2017, 3:28 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Italian fire codes are strict for hotels. Some rooms at many hotels in Italy are literally only able to accommodate 1 person, others are designated for 2. There are very few hotels that charge the same price for 3 as for 2.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 10:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by fishy21
This is very confusing and not obvious at all. If I am reading your response correct, the child is only free if the child is the 2nd person in the room. Correct?
To me, this says that if it's one adult plus child in room, the single rate is charged. For two adults (only), the double rate applies. However, for two adults plus one child, the assumption is that the child will need additional bedding, hence the extra charge.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 10:38 pm

I have asked in the past and told that if no extra bedding is required, just book for the (2) adults and keep the (2) children out of the reservation. My two children are now G2 and G4. The children can easily be added during check-in if necessary and I received this advice from properties across SPG, Hilton and IHG. If there are concerns for high last minute charges (geographic specific like Japan), I will drop those properties an email to verify.

The only consistently inconsistent part are the breakfasts. Lounges usually do not care (so far for me) but at restaurants, I sometimes get charged for 1 child, sometimes 2 children, sometimes all free and that varies wildly even for same property, same stay but different days. Classic case of YMMV.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 11:18 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
I recently stayed at the Westin in Florence, and was charged extra for the rollaway beds for my kids. Price seemed a little steep (80 Euros x 2) if memory serves for the 3 night stay. Nevertheless, we enjoyed the hotel and will stay again. Didn't have breakfast at the hotel, as we enjoyed the local cafe's offerings each morning. Hotel staff were fantastic though.

Next stop was the Waldorf in Rome, and as usual Hilton seems to be more family friendly IMO, with no extra charges. Think we had 5 nights and were spoiled by the level of service from the hotel.

Both were points stays FWIW.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 8:16 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott - Platinum/LTG | KF *G QPPS (working on TPPS) | OZ - Diamond Plus
Originally Posted by PayItForward
I have asked in the past and told that if no extra bedding is required, just book for the (2) adults and keep the (2) children out of the reservation. My two children are now G2 and G4. The children can easily be added during check-in if necessary and I received this advice from properties across SPG, Hilton and IHG. If there are concerns for high last minute charges (geographic specific like Japan), I will drop those properties an email to verify.

The only consistently inconsistent part are the breakfasts. Lounges usually do not care (so far for me) but at restaurants, I sometimes get charged for 1 child, sometimes 2 children, sometimes all free and that varies wildly even for same property, same stay but different days. Classic case of YMMV.
This has been my experience with a 4 y/o and a 2 y/o as well.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
Pretty obvious, ain't it? A room for two persons hold two persons. And kids are free in the existing bedding of a room shared with a (not two) adult(s).
not obvious at all....as per your definition, if the room has 1 king bed then only one adult & one child can share....what if the room has 2 queen beds....then does that mean 2 kids can share with 2 adults since there are 2 bedding now????the wording is pretty confusing....

however, everytime i have traveled with my 2 toddlers i have been told by different properties to only book for 2 adults & the kids stay free since they are under 12 years old & no extra bedding is required....
Old Apr 25, 2017, 10:52 am

Several years ago there was an outraged parent on here who tried the "just don't tell them about the child" act. And the hotel in Paris found out about the child. OPPS! The additional room they wound up paying for at rack rate was not a cheap addition! I would not assume you can "Deal with it when you show up" unless you understand that could be "here's the rack rate price for your extra room"
Old Apr 25, 2017, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Orange County Commuter
Several years ago there was an outraged parent on here who tried the "just don't tell them about the child" act. And the hotel in Paris found out about the child. OPPS! The additional room they wound up paying for at rack rate was not a cheap addition! I would not assume you can "Deal with it when you show up" unless you understand that could be "here's the rack rate price for your extra room"
If there is no specific language allowing kids in existing bedding like in op case, its a good idea to check when traveling to europe or japan..
Old Apr 25, 2017, 11:22 am

Programs: IHG Gold,SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Delta Kettle, AMEX Plat, DL AMEX Plat
I believe the OP had screenshots of a room with 2 twins, makable into a King, not a room with 2 doubles (or queens). The implication is that a twin fits one person, so a King fits two people. So, to add a child or two into that room would not physically work. If the OP had been trying to book with 2 doubles or queens, there may not have been this issue.

As for getting charged for 2 rollaways at the Westin Excelsior Florence, that was the correct thing to do per hotel rooms. The kids weren't using existing bedding. I've seen hotels in the US charge $50/night per rollaway.

The Cavalieri in Rome (the "Waldorf") is more of a resort than a city hotel. The grounds, the pool... It is always full of families. I loved the location up on the hill - made for great evenings on the patio, overlooking the lights of Rome.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 12:57 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, DL DM
Welcome to Europe.

In the US, you book a hotel for one person and show up with your whole family... No one cares.

In Spain, you book a hotel for 2 people and show up with an extra infant... You aren't given your room and they act like you are a crazy person.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by slidergirl
..). The implication is that a twin fits one person, so a King fits two people. So, to add a child or two into that room would not physically work. ..
Why?
Old Apr 25, 2017, 4:56 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by slidergirl
I believe the OP had screenshots of a room with 2 twins, makable into a King, not a room with 2 doubles (or queens). The implication is that a twin fits one person, so a King fits two people. So, to add a child or two into that room would not physically work. If the OP had been trying to book with 2 doubles or queens, there may not have been this issue.

As for getting charged for 2 rollaways at the Westin Excelsior Florence, that was the correct thing to do per hotel rooms. The kids weren't using existing bedding. I've seen hotels in the US charge $50/night per rollaway.

The Cavalieri in Rome (the "Waldorf") is more of a resort than a city hotel. The grounds, the pool... It is always full of families. I loved the location up on the hill - made for great evenings on the patio, overlooking the lights of Rome.
I was expecting the charge at the Westin, so no harm no foul. Because I'm mostly a domestic traveler, it still takes some adjustment on my part in getting use to room sizes in other countries. That said, the level of service I receive when I leave the country is fantastic.

Off topic, but we did look like typical Americans at both hotels. While other guests sometimes arrived in Bentley's and Range Rovers and dressed as though they arrived for the red carpet, we probably looked more like the Griswalds.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by PayItForward

This describes my experience as well with two kids, 4 and 1. And I agree with the comments that you'll typically run into much stricter treatment across Europe and in Japan.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.