Search

Add Child cost more for same room?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2017, 9:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt GP Platinum
Add Child cost more for same room?

Hello

Can someone help me understand. My 2 year old child will be traveling with me on this trip. The website claims that children under 12 are free, but if you see the below quote, it is not. Does anyone know why?

Old Apr 24, 2017, 9:47 am

It seems like the website automatically charge your child for additional bedding or something. You probably should contact the hotel directly. Normally in the US I would just book for 2 adults, but Italy's hotels hold your passports so you can't really do that.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
You probably did not read the second sentence. The language on the website reads:

Note: At this hotel guests 12 and under are considered children. Please adjust the number of adults and children as needed. Please see room terms and details for information about rollaway and/or extra person charges.

Family Plan Policy

Children who are 12 or younger sleep for free in the existing bedding of a room shared with a paying adult. The use of in-room sofa beds is considered additional bedding and will incur an additional fee. Rollaways, child rollaways and cribs may incur extra charges.
Pretty obvious, ain't it? A room for two persons hold two persons. And kids are free in the existing bedding of a room shared with a (not two) adult(s).
Old Apr 24, 2017, 11:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
You probably did not read the second sentence. The language on the website reads:

Pretty obvious, ain't it? A room for two persons hold two persons. And kids are free in the existing bedding of a room shared with a (not two) adult(s).
This is very confusing and not obvious at all. If I am reading your response correct, the child is only free if the child is the 2nd person in the room. Correct?
Old Apr 24, 2017, 11:16 am

Programs: AC*Super Elite (100K) / PR*Elite / AY*Platinum (OWE) / SPG*Bonvoy Titanium (LTT)
Originally Posted by fishy21
This is very confusing and not obvious at all. If I am reading your response correct, the child is only free if the child is the 2nd person in the room. Correct?
Hmmm...my interpretation of the terms is a child under 12 is free if sharing the same bed with 1 of the 2 adults.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 11:23 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA Silver, HHDmd, MBvLTPLT, PCAmb/Dmd, HYT Dis
Having this same issue booking several SPG hotels in Japan for an upcoming trip that will have my 7 year old and 1 year old with us (same policy of kids free if sleeping in existing bedding - we will either have 2 beds or my son is going to use a sleeping bag/camping mattress -- but the website auto-adding the rollaway charge if I list a child).

We are staying at 4 different SPG properties and after emailing reservations at each hotel directly, all had me book a room for 2 adults, 0 children and handle any rollaway or crib needs offline. At some I will still be paying for a crib, at others it is included -- but very consistent that it is easier to handle the extra bedding directly with the hotel.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 11:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by supatight80
Hmmm...my interpretation of the terms is a child under 12 is free if sharing the same bed with 1 of the 2 adults.
Ok... so if the child sleeps, in the same bed, then no extra charge. So are you counting the child as person #2 , or #3 ?

Because it appears that if the child is #3 , there is extra charge.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

no charge if two adults plus a kid under 12 as long as they don't provide an extra bed...
(bizarrely they seem to count use of existing sofa as extra bed )

just email them if you have doubts
Old Apr 24, 2017, 12:35 pm

Programs: AC*Super Elite (100K) / PR*Elite / AY*Platinum (OWE) / SPG*Bonvoy Titanium (LTT)
Ok... so if the child sleeps, in the same bed, then no extra charge. So are you counting the child as person #2 , or #3 ?

Child is #3 .

Ex. Adult #1 sleeps with Child #3 on Double bed A. Adult #2 sleeps in Double bed B.

As others have mentioned, just put 2 adults when you book. Deal with it directly at hotel when you check-in. They wont charge you extra pax is child is younger than 12 and sleeps on the same bed as you.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by Need
It seems like the website automatically charge your child for additional bedding or something. You probably should contact the hotel directly. Normally in the US I would just book for 2 adults, but Italy's hotels hold your passports so you can't really do that.
What you mean holds your passport? You mean photocopy/scan it?
Old Apr 24, 2017, 12:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred

Many times local laws need to know how many are sleeping and it varies by hotel, state and/or country. In many locations, particularly Europe, it's not where the child/person sleeps is the number of people occupying the room. And in Europe, you'll need to list all occupants.

Starwood rollaway policy
Rollaway Bed Charges in Italy - Sheraton
Max. allowed in one room
Old Apr 24, 2017, 1:01 pm

What you mean holds your passport? You mean photocopy/scan it?
Yeah for registration with the police station. This was a few years ago.. so maybe now they give the passports back sooner, but when we were there, we got them back only when we checkout the next day.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by Need
Yeah for registration with the police station. This was a few years ago.. so maybe now they give the passports back sooner, but when we were there, we got them back only when we checkout the next day.
Oh which property? I assume it is a Marriott?

I go to Italy at least 4-5X a year for the last decade or so. I never had that kind of an experience in a Starwood property where they physically keep your passport as hostage until you check-out...
Old Apr 24, 2017, 2:04 pm
Original Poster

Child is #3 .

As others have mentioned, just put 2 adults when you book. Deal with it directly at hotel when you check-in. They wont charge you extra pax is child is younger than 12 and sleeps on the same bed as you.
I'll give that a shot. Trying to book it correctly on the web... but I guess I need to work around it.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 3:00 pm

Oh which property? I assume it is a Marriott?

I go to Italy at least 4-5X a year for the last decade or so. I never had that kind of an experience in a Starwood property where they physically keep your passport as hostage until you check-out...
It is an independent hotel at Ravenna or Rimini. It was an one night stop on the way to San Marino. But I think they did the same thing at a hotel in Positano and another one at Naples. None of them are big chain hotels. We have a friend in Italy and she books all the hotels for us and they are more like hotels that the local uses.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.