Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Handicap accessible shower at Aloft... unusable for non-handicapped guest?

Old Apr 17, 2017, 2:15 pm
Original Poster

Location: The place where it gets so hot in the summer some planes can't take off.
Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, WoH Globalist, National EE, United Platinum

This is mostly a rant, but when you're on the road often little things bug you. I just checked into an Aloft and being cheap chose the prepaid low rate without realizing it was accessible. When FD told me I thought oh well the worst it could be is a roll in shower. When I looked at the shower however the shower head does not raise higher than about 5 1/2 ft (I'm 6'3").

is this normal? I have been in accessible rooms at other properties and while you don't get a nice shower head like a regular room, it at least extends to typical adult height appropriate levels.

I guess i have learned my lesson with Starwood and not to automatically choose the low rate without paying attention (I hope Marriotts booking process takes over for Starwood's), but this is ridiculous. Shouldn't they design these things for dual use?
Old Apr 17, 2017, 3:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by bigshooter
This is mostly a rant, but when you're on the road often little things bug you. I just checked into an Aloft and being cheap chose the prepaid low rate without realizing it was accessible. When FD told me I thought oh well the worst it could be is a roll in shower. When I looked at the shower however the shower head does not raise higher than about 5 1/2 ft (I'm 6'3").

is this normal? I have been in accessible rooms at other properties and while you don't get a nice shower head like a regular room, it at least extends to typical adult height appropriate levels.

I guess i have learned my lesson with Starwood and not to automatically choose the low rate without paying attention (I hope Marriotts booking process takes over for Starwood's), but this is ridiculous. Shouldn't they design these things for dual use?
Did you communicated with the agent checking you in that you do not need an accessible room? You do not mention that at all. Perhaps this particular room, for whatever reason, the shower doesn't go higher?

Honestly, you knew what you were booking and its the chance you take when booking a room like this. I don't see this being a booking issue, but this particular room being unique.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Probably much easier for wheelchair-bound guests.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 6:01 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Books an accessible room, complains about accessible facilities....

I have been in accessible rooms at other properties
How about not being cheap and leave the rooms to those living with disability who actually require them as it seems you do this often.

Last edited by m0hamed; Apr 17, 2017 at 7:35 pm
Old Apr 17, 2017, 6:02 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Duplicate post

Last edited by m0hamed; Apr 17, 2017 at 7:35 pm
Old Apr 17, 2017, 6:11 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum (100)
I'm not sure how this is Starwood's or the property's fault. Accessible rooms are designed specifically to accommodate individuals requiring particular features which includes the location of the shower. Having a cousin who requires an accessible room, I can tell you that those features make a huge difference in my cousin's personal comfort and ability to travel independently. I don't see why or how any property should jeopardize the usefulness of their accessible rooms to those guests who actually require those special features just to ensure that individuals who book the rooms because of their cheapness can be accommodated.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
IBTL

I don't think the OP is going to get much sympathy here.

I might suggest he duck to wet and rinse next time he is presented with such a hardship.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by m0hamed
We have a winner.....
Old Apr 18, 2017, 5:37 pm
Original Poster

Location: The place where it gets so hot in the summer some planes can't take off.
Everyone, this was really just a post when I found out I had an accessible room without realizing it (corporate requires lowest rate). Normally it states accessible but I either missed it or it didn't state it in the booking tool.

either way I have been in other accessible rooms (full booking or when FDC decided to upgrade me to a suite even though it's accessible) and they have the shower adjustable for both wheelchair height and standard height. I somehow survived my shower experience both after my workout yesterday and this morning, but wa surprised that the shower wasn't setup to handle both. I fully expect it to be setup to accommodate folks that need it first, but then why sell it at the lowest rate?

I would t have intentionally booked this, and am actually perplexed why Starwood allows a standard room and accessible room to be booked at different rates with the accessible being much lower. I would have taken a standard room (and paid higher) but they were full.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 5:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by m0hamed

How about not being cheap and leave the rooms to those living with disability who actually require them as it seems you do this often.
i don't do this often and did not intentionally book an accessible room, just the lowest rate.

also replied in another post that I have been put in accessible rooms as an upgrade to an accessible suite or when hotel was full.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 5:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KENNECTED
Did you communicated with the agent checking you in that you do not need an accessible room? You do not mention that at all. Perhaps this particular room, for whatever reason, the shower doesn't go higher?

Honestly, you knew what you were booking and its the chance you take when booking a room like this. I don't see this being a booking issue, but this particular room being unique.
you quoted my post without reading it, I booked without realizing it was accessible room. Yes I also told FD I did not need accessible room, but allegedly hotel was full.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 7:07 pm
Suspended

you quoted my post without reading it, I booked without realizing it was accessible room. Yes I also told FD I did not need accessible room, but allegedly hotel was full.
I read your post. However, it appears you left vital information out of your initial post, like the above.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Yes I also told FD I did not need accessible room, but allegedly hotel was full.
That's not what you said in the original post. You didn't say anything about telling FDC that you don't need an accessible room.
When FD told me I thought oh well the worst it could be is a roll in shower.
When the story changes, regardless of whether due to omissions or actually changing the story, it results in questions and skepticism pretty much universally on FT.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 8:20 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, SPG LTP
When I looked at the shower however the shower head does not raise higher than about 5 1/2 ft (I'm 6'3").
At least you could still get the important stuff clean.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 8:26 am
Suspended

Talking

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
That's not what you said in the original post. You didn't say anything about telling FDC that you don't need an accessible room.When the story changes, regardless of whether due to omissions or actually changing the story, it results in questions and skepticism pretty much universally on FT.
100% agree

Originally Posted by Sam P. Goodman
At least you could still get the important stuff clean.
Oh lord. the visuals!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.