Wiki Posts
Search

2017 Q2 Promo Speculation

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2017, 11:28 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Wink

Originally Posted by Okto
This is not about math. But it seems that somebody needs to look up the meaning of the word "trimester", which is what I took issue with. Trimester means a period of three months and not the division of 1 year into thirds. There are 4 trimesters in a year, the same way there are 4 quarters in a year.
To further illustrate the difference: if a year had 24 months instead of 12, it would still have 4 quarters, each lasting 6 months. It would also have 8 trimesters, each lasting 3 months.
I'm guessing that English is not your native language.
Dude why are you bringing in English and native language into any reference to another poster? Not cool.

Trimester is simply a way to break something into 3, university school year, pregnancy etc. It doesn't mean 3 months, besides a trimester is longer than 3 months for the university calendar anyway. I don't know ... you are talking about when you say there are "four trimesters in a year". Sorry not correct. We call those quarters.

I won't insult your english ability even though it is your first language.
Old May 12, 2017, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by schley
Dude why are you bringing in English and native language into any reference to another poster? Not cool.
That's a jab in response to the other poster suggesting that I go review my first grade math. I thought it was obvious enough and required no explanation. If you're willing to dish it out, you should understand that some might be coming back your way.

Trimester is simply a way to break something into 3, university school year, pregnancy etc. It doesn't mean 3 months, besides a trimester is longer than 3 months for the university calendar anyway. I don't know ... you are talking about when you say there are "four trimesters in a year". Sorry not correct. We call those quarters.
Few words are etymologically as clear as the word "trimester". I find it astounding that so many people have so much difficulty with it. It's probably because of the constant misuse everywhere.
By the way, you're absolutely wrong in your understanding of the word as well.

I won't insult your english ability even though it is your first language.

Anyway, I'm done with this topic. Plus it doesn't look like we're going to get a promo.
Old May 12, 2017, 12:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Wink

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
These promo speculation threads are utterly valueless.
After reading the last two posts, @3Cforme point has been proven!
Old May 12, 2017, 8:01 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by schley
Trimester is simply a way to break something into 3, university school year, pregnancy etc. It doesn't mean 3 months, besides a trimester is longer than 3 months for the university calendar anyway.
Coincidentally most pregnancies last around 9 months, and many school years too.

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/trimester?s=t

Note the derivation from the Latin. Meaning #2 is somewhat looser, granted, but if you account for summer vacation still ~9 months.

Apologies for adding another pointless post to the thread, but at least it might be useful for those who are interested in word origins vs. guessing about promos which is pure speculation
Old May 12, 2017, 8:25 pm
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
Which is completely irrelevant to this thread.
+1

Originally Posted by KENNECTED
I completely agree, Consider we discuss the same topics over and over. From the date of announcement; The date the actual promotion will begin; the periods quarterly vs trimester, etc. Not to mention the types of promotions that will be offered.
+1, preach

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
I couldn't find a Middle East & Africa promo thread when I searched in the SPG forum, so it was either create a new thread since this is the first promo that includes RC/Marriott/SPG or tag onto this promo thread since I thought people would be checking it. Since I already created a thread re: the combined promo in the Marriottt forum, it would violate TOS to create a new thread re: the same topic in this forum, which is why I gave the heads up but provided a link to the thread in the Marriott forum.

I'm sorry that my wanting to share info to SPG FTers about a regional discount promo that would save them $$ is considered irrelevant.

Cheers.
We used to have a discount thread, which was maintained by the admins. That's prolly where this should've gone since it was more about saving cash than getting more points. IMHO, it's pointless cross-posting since people who want to stay at Marriott can easily find out this info on the MR board.
Old May 12, 2017, 11:19 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Folks, I think it's time to draw a line under the trimester side-discussion, and note that it's not in the FT siprit, at all, to make on-thread pronouncements on the worth or value of other posters discussions.

/mod

Last edited by Oxon Flyer; May 13, 2017 at 1:34 am
Old May 13, 2017, 5:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by uxb
We used to have a discount thread, which was maintained by the admins. That's prolly where this should've gone since it was more about saving cash than getting more points. IMHO, it's pointless cross-posting since people who want to stay at Marriott can easily find out this info on the MR board.
Thanks for the info re: the discount thread! Didn't realize there was one, or I would have posted in that. Will do so in the future. Appreciate you letting me know.

The only reason I posted the heads up in this forum was because, according to the Marriott press release:

"Marriott Rewards, The Ritz-Carlton Rewards and Starwood Preferred Guest Launch a Coordinated New Regional Promotion This Season. For SPG members, this promotion is available at participating Aloft, W Hotels, Four Points® by Sheraton, Le Méridien, The Luxury Collection®, Sheraton Hotels & Resorts, St. Regis® Hotels & Resorts, and Westin® Hotels & Resorts that participate in the SPG program." (remainder of details are in the thread in the Marriott forum/link I provided above).

and I wanted to share that info, in case there were SPG members who would be staying in the Middle East/African countries during the time frame of the discount promo.

Getting back to Q2 promo. Marriott Q2 promo will be officially announced on Monday, although a few have reported details already. It doesn't make sense to me that Marriott would have one & SPG would not, so perhaps a SPG one will be announced on Monday as well. It will be interesting to see if it's the same as the Marriott one or different.

Cheers.
Old May 13, 2017, 6:28 am

Thanks for the info re: the discount thread! Didn't realize there was one, or I would have posted in that. Will do so in the future. Appreciate you letting me know.

The only reason I posted the heads up in this forum was because, according to the Marriott press release:

"Marriott Rewards, The Ritz-Carlton Rewards and Starwood Preferred Guest Launch a Coordinated New Regional Promotion This Season. For SPG members, this promotion is available at participating Aloft, W Hotels, Four Points® by Sheraton, Le Méridien, The Luxury Collection®, Sheraton Hotels & Resorts, St. Regis® Hotels & Resorts, and Westin® Hotels & Resorts that participate in the SPG program." (remainder of details are in the thread in the Marriott forum/link I provided above).

and I wanted to share that info, in case there were SPG members who would be staying in the Middle East/African countries during the time frame of the discount promo.

Getting back to Q2 promo. Marriott Q2 promo will be officially announced on Monday, although a few have reported details already. It doesn't make sense to me that Marriott would have one & SPG would not, so perhaps a SPG one will be announced on Monday as well. It will be interesting to see if it's the same as the Marriott one or different.

Cheers.
Thanks for your post. saved me some $ ^
Old May 13, 2017, 1:43 pm
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN

Cheers.
The discount thread is not something you can post to. Only mods have access to it. You should reach out to SanDiego1K. The T1 promo was a hybrid between traditional SPG and Marriott promos. I don't think we are going to see generous promos going forward because why bother? What you might see are more Select Member Exclusive opportunities (such as the ones I never seem to qualify for) going forward.
Old May 13, 2017, 3:47 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by uxb
The discount thread is not something you can post to. Only mods have access to it. You should reach out to SanDiego1K.
Ok, thanks for the additional info!

I'm a bit perplexed why a discount thread would be mod only (note, this is NOT a criticism of the mods of this forum or SanDiego1K; I'm sure there was a good reason for setting it up that way when it was started!) vs. regular FTers being able to post to a discount thread if they stumble across a discount promo. On the Marriott forum it's the norm for FTers to post promos when they see them. Usually it's announced in the thread if it's available to all or if it might be targeted.

FWIW - I think this particular Middle East/Africa promo across all 3, RC/Marriott/SPG, is because Arne mentioned a bit ago that due to travel ban, laptop issues on planes, etc, that bizness was down in the Middle East.

And hey I hear you on promos being offered we don't qualify for. Marriott traditionally does 3-4 versions on the megabonus, & when I get mine I want to say, seriously? Have you checked my stay pattern? Why would you offer me this one vs. the other one. SMH.

PS - I just did a search on 'discount thread' so I could familiarize myself w/ it & didn't see anything that looked like what was described (I'm assuming SET# isn't it). Anyone have a link or a dif phrase I should do a search on. It could be my search capabilities suck, or FT search sucks - or both

Cheers.

Last edited by SkiAdcock; May 13, 2017 at 3:53 pm
Old May 13, 2017, 4:35 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I just did a search on 'discount thread' so I could familiarize myself w/ it & didn't see anything that looked like what was described
I think the thread being referenced is the old (obsolete and almost never updated) http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...os-promos.html thread.
Old May 13, 2017, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by uxb
The discount thread is not something you can post to. Only mods have access to it. You should reach out to SanDiego1K. The T1 promo was a hybrid between traditional SPG and Marriott promos. I don't think we are going to see generous promos going forward because why bother? What you might see are more Select Member Exclusive opportunities (such as the ones I never seem to qualify for) going forward.
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I think the thread being referenced is the old (obsolete and almost never updated) http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...os-promos.html thread.

And SanDiego1K hasn't been a mod on this forum for about 5 yrs which is why it is rarely updated.
Old May 14, 2017, 4:44 am

Programs: AS MVP, EK Silver, Bonvoy Plat
www.spgpromos.com has been in "maintenance" for the last 24 hours or so, this normal? Or does it mean we might see a promo?
Old May 14, 2017, 8:24 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Here ya go :

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...er-thread.html

Now no-one can now complain that the master thread is not maintained.

Old May 14, 2017, 10:11 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by uxb
We have not seen a select member exclusive in a few months now... not that I was ever targetted but still I think this will be the first year in ages where I am half way through the year with 3 STAYS in SPG

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.