Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Amsterdam Airport, wont show empathy for guest in disgrace

Sheraton Amsterdam Airport, wont show empathy for guest in disgrace

Old Mar 20, 2017, 1:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Yeah, there are 3 potential scenarios, which I mentioned above (now formatted to make it easier reading).

* Did you already have your luggage at the hotel & they wouldn't give it back to you unless you paid for the booking? That would certainly be an issue.
* Did you want to briefly leave your luggage there even though you canceled the booking? Not fun if they said no, but understandable & not unique to the property.
* Did they hold to the formal cancellation policy (ie, charge you) even though your flight was impacted by the emergency in your country? That's within their rights/T&C, even if not empathetic.

The OP is presumably on a flight & we might not hear back until tomorrow or so. I also agree that the difficulty understanding the original post probably has a lot to do w/ English being the 2nd language.

Cheers.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 2:03 pm

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
I think one of the earlier posters hit it on the head - the OP is a native Spanish speaker (duh) and his English isn't as polished as some might like (goodness knows my spoken and written Spanish are awful). I've read the post a few times from that perspective and from the perspective of someone who is away from their home while their home is going through a natural disaster (for the Americans from the Northeast, think about "superstorm" (I hate that word) Sandy). What I'm reading is that essentially, the guy was simply asking the hotel to cut him a break on a pre-paid stay and they refused. Seems pretty hard-hearted from my perspective, but then, I wasn't there and I didn't see how the case was presented. Anyway, the OP is doing what any number of us would do after what we would think is a bad customer experience - going to a forum and posting about it.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 2:28 pm

Programs: SQ, UA, Delta, BMI(RIP), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond (Thanks Amex) Hyatt Discov
Originally Posted by Mrtravel28
That piece I don't get either. I would fully understand the AMS Sheraton not storing non-guests' luggage, as that would be absurd and impractical in an airport. I am guessing language barrier is prohibiting us from understanding clearly??
OP had asked someone to leave a parcel for him st the hotel, now the hotel would not release the parcel unless he paid up for the stay.

The
Old Mar 20, 2017, 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by SingaporeDon
OP had asked someone to leave a parcel for him st the hotel, now the hotel would not release the parcel unless he paid up for the stay.

Yep. This is my reading of the situation too.

OP booked a flight to Thailand through Amsterdam because he needed to pickup something in Amsterdam. From the way it's written I'm guessing it was something to be delivered to the hotel.

He couldn't make it on the date booked due to the reasons given, and he communicated this to the hotel prior to arrival through his Ambassador.

The hotel refused to release his "belongings" unless he paid for the room.

I'd like to know:
. did he tell the hotel that even though he was not coming, that a parcel or item was going to be delivered to the hotel in his name?
. did the hotel respond to this and how did they respond? Did they already state at that point that charges were due, and that it would not be a simple handling fee but a one-night charge?
. and if they did say charges were due, did he negotiate beforehand or did he just show up and hope that they would waive the fees?

Also:
. did he try to cancel the delivery of that item, or redirect it, and was that not possible
. and how big was the item - if it was a simple letter I'd have expected the hotel to be a bit more accomodating but if it was a huge carton then...

Personally, I'd have explained the situation to the hotel, tell them I still needed the item, and then negotiated a once-off handling fee. Of course I'd have hoped that Plat 100 status would have gotten me a waiver of any fees, as a once-off of course, due to extenuating circumstances. But it would have been up to the hotel.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 7:43 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Senator
I'm also confused. How do you book a non-refundable stay but not pre-pay for it. In other words, how does the hotel force you into paying a rate by withholding your property) that should have already been paid? Or am I missing something?
I also sympathize with the OP facing (either in person or vicariously through family and friends) a natural disaster in his home country, and wonder if the hotel might be more accommodating (while at the same time noting that rules are rules and they don't have to be).
Old Mar 21, 2017, 9:26 am

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
Originally Posted by eefor jfp
I'm also confused. How do you book a non-refundable stay but not pre-pay for it. In other words, how does the hotel force you into paying a rate by withholding your property) that should have already been paid? Or am I missing something?
Have to say I was wondering the same thing!

While very hard to judge due to the understandable language barrier but the fact the Op posted a picture of someone to the thread does make me wonder how he was during the conversation with the hotel.

Did the OP ask his Ambassador in a nice way to approach the hotel about cancelling and not being charged or just cancel online and then expect the hotel to not charge/refund. If it is the latter I must say I tend to side with the hotel, to just expect rather than approach the hotel saying you realise it is a favour and above and beyond is not the right way to do things.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Exactly. And why not let his Ambassador handle this?

Sheraton AMS is one of my favorite hotels and they have been very accommodating with my travel disruptions in the past.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 1:11 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
How do you book a non-refundable stay but not pre-pay for it.
Non-refundable and prepaid are not the same thing. Some prepaid rates are refundable, and some non-refundable rates are not prepaid. I've had many non-refundable rates that were not settled until after the stay (which can be annoying with currency fluctuations).
Old Mar 25, 2017, 5:54 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Non-refundable and prepaid are not the same thing.
Agree.

On a dif note & just curious (legit question) - are Ambassadors available 24/7? If the OP's situation happened when the Ambassador wasn't available it would have to be handled after the fact, which probably wouldn't help at time of situation even if ultimately resolved way after the fact.

Cheers.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 8:14 pm

A disaster in another country is not the problem of the hotel. The hotel is fully within its rights to ask for payment and this I am confused about as was a credit card not used to guarantee the reservation (and as such there should be no issue re the hotel being paid). Now most credit cards these days have cancellation insurance so why would trhis person not go back to their credit card to get reimbursed? (I have done this in the past and have always been reimbursed... now I needed to provide substantiating documentation as to why but this should not be difficult). There are some parts of this story that don't make sense.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 1:27 am

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Originally Posted by cruiser9999
Now most credit cards these days have cancellation insurance so why would trhis person not go back to their credit card to get reimbursed?
And you know this is true for credit cards issued in Peru - How?
Old Mar 26, 2017, 2:52 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum - LT Gold
Originally Posted by estnet
And you know this is true for credit cards issued in Peru - How?
Standard global terms.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 6:30 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
For those interested in helping the OP, do note that:

Last Activity: Mar 20, 17 8:10 am

S/He posted and hasn't come back to read any help, etc. Sure, s/he could have come back without being logged in, but if s/he was looking for help s/he'd have replied in the 6 days since posting.

IMHO this was just a rant, hopefully s/he's feeling better now and things are going better for him/her
Old Mar 26, 2017, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by Out of my Element
For those interested in helping the OP, do note that:

Last Activity: Mar 20, 17 8:10 am

S/He posted and hasn't come back to read any help, etc. Sure, s/he could have come back without being logged in, but if s/he was looking for help s/he'd have replied in the 6 days since posting.

IMHO this was just a rant, hopefully s/he's feeling better now and things are going better for him/her
i agree....i would be surprised to see the op back here....
Old Mar 26, 2017, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Keyser
i agree....i would be surprised to see the op back here....
The owners of FT should set up a sister website called FlyerRant for all of the one-and-done posters who are looking for empathy / a place to complain.

A complaint from a long-time FT member can be quite useful but most of the time I just look at the post count before offering anything to the thread.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.