Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Share your favorite W hotels (not resorts)?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2017, 9:23 am
Original Poster

Share your favorite W hotels (not resorts)?

May I start a thread?

What are your favorite W Hotels (Not resorts) and why?
I'm nearing the end of my 30s and so slowly (and inevitably) being pushed out of their primary target market and so with the years I have left I'd like to max out my party spirit - read: Dance it up in the lobby lounge to a DJ until 2 AM and retreat back to my cool corner room upstairs with a DND sign on.

Of the city Ws so far I"ve only done:
W Seoul
W Taipei
W Bangkok
W Paris

...and by far the W Taipei takes the cake. Service, location, vibe, sense of playfulness and yet luxurious. It also doesn't hurt that the staff (the "talents", I should say) all look like they were picked out of a model contest. It is also within 5 min taxi ride to the hottest bars and clubs in Taipei, making it an ideal base for a party weekend.

Really like the W Paris as well, but for what I am looking for, found the scene a little quiet. The bar scene looks to attract the business folks in the vicinity than the typical young party crowd,, which adds to a sense of elegance/class but also keeps the atmosphere subdued somewhat (not a bad thing, depending on what you're looking for). The service and the design elements are fantastic, even though I found the rooms quite small (well at least compared to those in Asia).

Looking forward to your picks!
Old Mar 1, 2017, 10:28 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by jaejaez
May I start a thread?

What are your favorite W Hotels (Not resorts) and why?
I'm nearing the end of my 30s and so slowly (and inevitably) being pushed out of their primary target market and so with the years I have left I'd like to max out my party spirit - read: Dance it up in the lobby lounge to a DJ until 2 AM and retreat back to my cool corner room upstairs with a DND sign on.

Of the city Ws so far I"ve only done:
W Seoul
W Taipei
W Bangkok
W Paris

...and by far the W Taipei takes the cake. Service, location, vibe, sense of playfulness and yet luxurious. It also doesn't hurt that the staff (the "talents", I should say) all look like they were picked out of a model contest. It is also within 5 min taxi ride to the hottest bars and clubs in Taipei, making it an ideal base for a party weekend.

Really like the W Paris as well, but for what I am looking for, found the scene a little quiet. The bar scene looks to attract the business folks in the vicinity than the typical young party crowd,, which adds to a sense of elegance/class but also keeps the atmosphere subdued somewhat (not a bad thing, depending on what you're looking for). The service and the design elements are fantastic, even though I found the rooms quite small (well at least compared to those in Asia).

Looking forward to your picks!
Montreal
DC
Los Angeles - Hollywood [for design & decor, not service]
Los Angeles - Westwood
Atlanta - Downtown [for design & decor]
Atlanta - Midtown
Dallas [One of the best Ws I've experienced]
Fort Lauderdale
Chicago - City Center [Haven't stayed at the Lakeside property after my horrible stay]
New Orleans [Now the Meridien] Don't like the FQ property.

Old thread that mentions properties that are no longer w/starwood or W Hotels: Describe some of the best W hotels?
Old Mar 1, 2017, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Only did Dallas once but loved it...same goes for Montreal.

I think Mexico City is quite nice post-renovation. And Barca is lovely right on the beach.

Westwood gets a ^ for location as well as tons of suites
Old Mar 1, 2017, 8:44 pm

Programs: Delta, Marriott, Kimpton
Originally Posted by KENNECTED
Montreal
DC
Los Angeles - Westwood
Atlanta - Midtown
Fort Lauderdale
Chicago - City Center [Haven't stayed at the Lakeside property after my horrible stay]

Old thread that mentions properties that are no longer w/starwood or W Hotels: Describe some of the best W hotels?
Love your list as I'm staying at the Atlanta - Midtown property next week and the Fort Lauderdale property next month.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 9:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
W Minneapolis if fun because it's in a historic iconic building (which at one time claimed to be the tallest between Chicago and the west coast) with the preserved bar in what was once an executive's office, plus the little history museum and outdoor deck on top, free for guests. However, I'm not so sure how I feel about the beehives on the roof.

W Union Square NYC is also nice in that it's in a good location and unlike many W properties, uses lighter colors.

However, my favorite would be W Hong Kong.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 10:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KENNECTED
Montreal
DC
Los Angeles - Westwood
Atlanta - Midtown
Fort Lauderdale

Which is your favorite out of the lot? If you had to pick one? (or two)
Old Mar 1, 2017, 10:57 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Tit, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold, Carlson Gold, UA*S,
South Beach
Paris
Barcelona
London
Hong Kong
LA - Westwood
Washington D.C.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 11:29 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Qatar Airways, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
Stayed at Ws in:
- Doha
- Minneapolis
- Chicago - Lakeshore
- London - Leicester Square

Every single one was a great stay; been to the Doha one four times and always found the recognition to be great; I've stayed in every Room/Suite category now except the Extreme Wow and the staff have always been great to boot. That the decor still looks edgy and fresh eight years after opening seals the deal.

Minneapolis: stayed here as a bottom-of-the-ladder member and loved this place; they upgraded me to a Spectacular Room with a massive corner bathroom and took excellent care of me. The historic building is gorgeous and made this place very memorable.

Chicago - Lakeshore: two stays so far and they've been great; the redo of the hotel is lovely and high-quality, the location is solid and the staff are great. Always surprised by the relatively low rates here too, so the value is on-point.

London - Leicester Square: fabulous design and good staff, but I've lost my taste for London's frenetic madness and one-upmanship party scene. The location is central, but I have yet to try it as a Plat so will see what the benefits are like if a return to LDN is on the books...

Four Ws is pretty paltry but they've all been great - have to get out there and get more in, but it seems that Marriott is going to be planting more flags worldwide. Next up: Algarve.

khabah
Old Mar 1, 2017, 11:35 pm

Programs: AFKL Flying Blue Platinum Ultimate, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
I've been to some W recently. Here's my opinion. * are the best, + are okay but not excellent, and the rest are so and so, imho. I don't remember which ones are resorts, sorry.

W South Beach (but it's a resort) * Really one of the best SPG properties I've ever been.
W Montreal (*) Excellent staff.
W Hollywood (+)
W New York Times Square (+) Awesome location. Staff so and so, but the views from corner room/suites are beautiful.
W New York Downtown - Good location, I didn't love the style of rooms. Staff below average.
W San Francisco (+) Loved the staff and the room styles. Very good location.
W Atlanta Downtown (*/+) Got an awesome upgrade there and the hotel staff was really exceptional. I loved the hotel, location good but not exceptional.

W Amsterdam (*) Super new, smart devices on suites, awesome internal pool, loved the staff.
W Paris Opera (+) Good style, was very unlucky with staff/service.
W London - Very central location, but I was very unlucky with staff/service. Rooms are very small.
W Barcelona (+) Very good for partying, a little outside the city but awesome views and a very cool top floor bar/club. Very good property overall.
W Verbier (*) The only Cat 7 W Hotel in Europe, afaik. A friend has been there, it's probably one of the most expensive W Hotels ever but it's in a really unique location, and has a unique style.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 2:22 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by canadiantransplant
love your list as i'm staying at the atlanta - midtown property next week and the fort lauderdale property next month.
:d 👍🏾
Old Mar 2, 2017, 2:44 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jaejaez
Which is your favorite out of the lot? If you had to pick one? (or two)
Dallas and Westwood.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 9:28 pm

Programs: Mattiott Lifetime Titanium Elite, LH SEN, IB Emerald, Hilton Diamond
Also stayed in tons of W's already - but top for me is still the one in Hong Kong!
Old Mar 2, 2017, 10:13 pm

Programs: UA: 1K, Hyatt: Explorist and Marriott: LF Titanium Elite
I've done:
W London
W Opera
W Doha
W Seoul
W Hong Kong
W New York Time Square
W Boston
W San Francisco

But I have to say W Hong Kong tops it with their service, location and staff!! You also get a great view of the island at night
Old Mar 2, 2017, 10:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
W Montreal - very well done rooms and excellent staff.
W New York Times Square - they always treat me well
W Amsterdam - fantastic building, great location and wonderful breakfast. So many details are thought of in the rooms.
W Barcelona - can't beat the location (in the summer), stunning building.
W Minneapolis - awesome building and great bar program
W Hong Kong - good location, high quality room and room technology
Old Mar 3, 2017, 12:23 am

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
I've been to

W Hong Kong
W NY - Downtown
W Washington DC
W Chicago - Lakeshore
W London -Leicester Sq
W Paris - Opera
W Barcelona
W LA - West Beverly Hills
W Taipei
W Bangkok

For city hotel, W Hong Kong and W Taipei are my best 2 experience equally.

However, if included W resort, W koh Samui, Bali and Verbier are better overall in my book. W Singapore (resort) is on par with other W city hotels

Last edited by 3rdworldresident; Mar 3, 2017 at 2:22 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.