Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Am I supposed to directly ask for a room upgrade at hotels with my status?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2017, 1:35 pm
Original Poster

Do i need to specifically request to get upgraded, or should I just leave it up to the front desk person to "upgrade" me. I have platinum status at SPG, and it states that i "get complimentary room upgrades, including standard suites." However, I dont always get them.

I usually check online to see if im able to book suite for the same dates, so I know that a room is available, if i dont get upgraded (i assume thats how it works?) So, are you supposed to ask directly to get upgraded?
Old Feb 21, 2017, 4:36 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by MoofuJJ
Do i need to specifically request to get upgraded, or should I just leave it up to the front desk person to "upgrade" me. I have platinum status at SPG, and it states that i "get complimentary room upgrades, including standard suites." However, I dont always get them.

I usually check online to see if im able to book suite for the same dates, so I know that a room is available, if i dont get upgraded (i assume thats how it works?) So, are you supposed to ask directly to get upgraded?
Some properties upgrade you before you arrive. Others upgrade you when you check in without asking. Others will upgrade you only after you ask. Some will only upgrade you only after you complain after they tell you there are no upgrades available.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
Some properties upgrade you before you arrive. Others upgrade you when you check in without asking. Others will upgrade you only after you ask. Some will only upgrade you only after you complain after they tell you there are no upgrades available.
Lol. So true!

Remember, though, it's an upgrade to the best available 'room', and not necessarily a suite. There are a kinds of upgrades - higher floors, club floors, corner rooms, balconies, etc...

And the upgrade pool is what's 'available' at check-in. So that suite you see online, and can even book, may still have a guest in it; or not be made up; or not be even part of the suite upgrade 'pool' at all.

All joking and conspiracy theories aside, I still think the SPG program is one of the most generous and rewarding. At least to me. There's a great master thread here that tells you everything you need to know as a staring point.

Cheers,
Old Feb 21, 2017, 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by Flews
And the upgrade pool is what's 'available' at check-in. So that suite you see online, and can even book, may still have a guest in it; or not be made up; or not be even part of the suite upgrade 'pool' at all.

Since you appear to be new to this, better explain a bit about how it works and the terminology used here.

Suite upgrade pool
- it is believed that the hotels set aside a number of suites for (free) member upgrades, and the remainder for revenue (paid) bookings
- so what you see online for booking may not represent the number of suites left for free upgrades - if you see a suite available to book, it may be meant for paid bookings

Having said that, some members have managed to get an upgrade by asking the hotels why there are suites available for booking when they are told there are none for upgrade. Whether the hotel then 'gives in' and upgrades you is variable. How nicely or badly members behave is also variable, though it's generally not acceptable to throw a DYKWIA tantrum.

Personally if I see that there are suites available, but the hotel doesn't want to upgrade me to them, I don't push. Usually I don't even ask. Then again my upgrade success rate is in the 90s so I rarely need to
Old Feb 21, 2017, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by travelswithmyself
Suite upgrade pool
- it is believed that the hotels set aside a number of suites for (free) member upgrades, and the remainder for revenue (paid) bookings
- so what you see online for booking may not represent the number of suites left for free upgrades - if you see a suite available to book, it may be meant for paid bookings
Is there a source for this, or your own creation? Who is "it believed" by?
Old Feb 21, 2017, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Frist, remember the the potential upgrade has to be available 1) when you check in, and 2) for the entire duration of your stay.

Suite upgrade pool

Having said that, some members have managed to get an upgrade by asking the hotels why there are suites available for booking when they are told there are none for upgrade. Whether the hotel then 'gives in' and upgrades you is variable. How nicely or badly members behave is also variable, though it's generally not acceptable to throw a DYKWIA tantrum.

Personally if I see that there are suites available, but the hotel doesn't want to upgrade me to them, I don't push. Usually I don't even ask. Then again my upgrade success rate is in the 90s so I rarely need to
This is partly accurate, IME. Many hotels will upgrade you if the two conditions above are met because they assess that the possibility of walk-ups wanting suites is low. Many hotels will upgrade you in advance, and that's often reflected in your reservation if you check online.

You'll also find that your suite upgrade success rate will vary by region. You'll do much better, for example, in Asia-Pacific than you will in North America, on average.

There are also other considerations which factor in. If you work for a company which does a lot of business with the hotel, your chances go up. They also go up if you're a regular at a hotel. If you're going to be a regular at a hotel, make sure that you introduce yourself to senior management, say GM, Hotel Manager and (if you care a lot about food as I do), F&B Manager. Experience, both mine and that of others, is that you will receive undocumented benefits. For me, it's ranged from a bucket of beer waiting for me on each checkin (I lived in a particular airport hotel five nights/week for six months) to some spectacular suite upgrades, way above normal suites. Additionally, I find, almost without exception, that they're nice people who are genuinely interested in hearing from the good/regular customers/guests. Just don't expect anything, and you'll occasionally be pleasantly surprised!
Old Feb 21, 2017, 8:58 pm

I usually check on my phone app if there are standard suites available to book before I check in. At the check in desk, I will then ask if an upgrade is possible. If they tell an obvious lie (i.e. we're fully booked) then I will mention that on the phone app that standard suites are available for booking. If they relent, I usually ask to speak with the Reservations manager because I'm only asking them to honor the rules of their own loyalty program.

Another thing that has improved my chances of an upgrade is usually responding to the VIP Experience representative (he/she will send you an email a few days before your check in date asking if you have any special requests). I've been told by those folks that Platinums that respond to the email will usually get preferential treatment over the other Platinums that don't respond (unless they are Platinum50/75/100). I've stayed at Westins that have many business travelers with status but I'll clear an upgrade just because I asked and I'm in their mind when they are assigning rooms and limited availability.

Lastly, I've emailed the Reservations manager before and asked a silly request like "Is there anyway you could give me a tour of the Presidential Suite, if it's unoccupied. I just want to see what it's like." On 1 or 2 night stays, they might just give you the room =)
Old Feb 21, 2017, 9:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
it is believed that the hotels set aside a number of suites for (free) member upgrades, and the remainder for revenue (paid) bookings
It's not just "believed". It's explicitly stated in the rules.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 11:04 am

Programs: IHG Gold,SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Delta Kettle, AMEX Plat, DL AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by JWEMTX
I usually check on my phone app if there are standard suites available to book before I check in. At the check in desk, I will then ask if an upgrade is possible. If they tell an obvious lie (i.e. we're fully booked) then I will mention that on the phone app that standard suites are available for booking. If they relent, I usually ask to speak with the Reservations manager because I'm only asking them to honor the rules of their own loyalty program.

Another thing that has improved my chances of an upgrade is usually responding to the VIP Experience representative (he/she will send you an email a few days before your check in date asking if you have any special requests). I've been told by those folks that Platinums that respond to the email will usually get preferential treatment over the other Platinums that don't respond (unless they are Platinum50/75/100). I've stayed at Westins that have many business travelers with status but I'll clear an upgrade just because I asked and I'm in their mind when they are assigning rooms and limited availability.

Lastly, I've emailed the Reservations manager before and asked a silly request like "Is there anyway you could give me a tour of the Presidential Suite, if it's unoccupied. I just want to see what it's like." On 1 or 2 night stays, they might just give you the room =)
How do you know which suites in a given hotel are the "standard" suites when you look on your app??? From what I understand, it varies from hotel to hotel, and then not all suites in a given type will be in the "standard" suite pool. You may see a (just an example) Jones suite online as available, maybe only 3 of 5 Jones suites are designated as the "standard" suite for that hotel. Have you been given a list by the hotel as to which specific suites (by room number) are in a pool? The lowest class of suite may not be the ones in the pool, it may be others in less desirable locations in the hotel...
Old Feb 22, 2017, 10:05 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
In my experience the room upgrades are usually allocated in the morning of check-in. Sometimes before, and sometimes during check-in, but it makes sense that they'd just want to sort their inventory out at the start of the day.

The criteria as to one Plat getting an upgrade over another isn't public, but it's entirely possible that a plat checks in at 5pm and gets no suite, and another checks in at 7pm and gets a suite based on which rooms have been pre-assigned.

I used to care a lot more about this, but my rules of thumb are:

- If it's important for me to have a suite, I book one
- I don't ask for a suite if I don't get upgraded. Sometimes you win and sometimes you don't.
- However, I will ask for at least an upgraded room if I see I'm being put into a standard one (pretty rare as Platinum)
- If I get downgraded (including bedding on a revenue stay) I'm quite insistent

I think a lot of DYKWIAs are misinformed as to what suites qualify for the upgrade pool. Many one bedroom suites are not standard suites and therefore only offered at the hotel's discretion, yet if a Platinum member sees it online they insist on having it.

Lastly, I wish that SPG allowed upgrades to the next available suite. i.e. if I book a standard suite, I'd be eligible for the next level up. Seems like a good way to generate more revenue.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 10:24 pm

If you have Suite Night Awards in your account, you may check to see what type of suites are in the upgrade pool.

I also learned that your arrival time and check out time play a part should the hotel decides to give you a suite for the entire stay.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 10:33 pm

Programs: SPG/Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
My approach may differ from others, I always ask (nicely and with a smile) for a suite at check-in, unless I don't mind a regular room. If you have the time, an email beforehand to frontdesk yields an even higher rate of success.

But I'd say in my own experience a nice big smile and polite charming banter will get you a suite upgrade ~70% of the time (definitely more than half the time in my experience).

As an example, I was checking in to a property alongside another gentleman (Chinese). We both were Platinum status (he came a few seconds after me and immediately informed the frontdesk (loudely) he was an elite SPG Platinum member). Both of us were on prepaid rates for standard rooms.

We both asked for a suite; he rudely and loudly, I did so politely with a smile. I was awarded the suite, he wasn't.

Moral of the story? Be nice!
Old Feb 22, 2017, 10:37 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
Many hotels are pro-active enough and try to upgrade you prior to arrival, and generally you can see a room change if that has happened.

That said said, even if I am pre-upgraded, it does not hurt to gently and nicely ask at check-in if a higher upgrade/better room/larger size/view is possible. You will never know, if you never ask right?
Old Feb 22, 2017, 11:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by yvr76
Lastly, I wish that SPG allowed upgrades to the next available suite. i.e. if I book a standard suite, I'd be eligible for the next level up. Seems like a good way to generate more revenue.
Sorry, but how does that generate more revenue? You're asking for a free upgrade from one suite to another.

Are you suggesting that you would book more standard suites if you could have the potential for a free upgrade to a "better" suite? That goes against what you wrote in your own post. If you want a suite you pay for it. So wouldn't that apply to...if you want a bigger suite, you pay for it?

-RM
Old Feb 22, 2017, 11:19 pm

Originally Posted by yvr76
I just had success with that in W montreal where I booked a basic suite and was upgraded to one of their two floor suites without even asking. I'm new to Plat and it was a nice surprise to get an upgrade like that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.