Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Nudity in hotel spa/sauna/pool area allowed??

Nudity in hotel spa/sauna/pool area allowed??

Old Jan 27, 2017, 10:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum
Nudity in hotel spa/sauna/pool common areas allowed??

If you saw my post in the Sheraton Jagdhof thread you know what this is about.

I stayed in this property after x-mas 2016 and had 3 rooms. Traveled with both my parents and my in-laws. You can read about the not so great experience in that thread.

The piece I would like to understand is the allowed nudity. I realize some folks might feel like entering a sauna with a towel only. However what is the hotel's role in providing enough information to its guests about this. Furthermore, this nudity was both male and female, while children were present. All it said on the door to the entire Saunas, showers, infrared, steam area door was that children under 12 are not allowed unsupervised. There was no suggestion that full nudity is to be expected in the entire area. There were folks walking around (not sure the health benefit of that) fully nude, between the different spa rooms/devices. Showering fully nude, laying in the salt room fully nude, with legs spread (I know it sounds like a joke but to have your 77 year old in-laws with it wasn't comfortable at all).

I questioned the spa front desk who claimed they don't know the number to the manager. After myself calling front desk manager I was told that nudity is allowed.

After arriving back in states I filed a corporate complaint with SPG regarding this. Today I received a canned response from the GM saying they are sorry that I was not satisfied....

So, should hotels have a warning if they allow nudity, how can they enforce it?

I know the Westin Maui allows nudity in the spa (not accessible without extra pay or platinum status, clearly divided where male and female are not together, and they warn you first thing when you come in - I think a big difference).

I am pretty disappointed that SPG wouldn't address this at all. I don't want to take anyone's freedoms away, but there is common decency and what I saw was beyond that.

Last edited by Mrtravel28; Jan 28, 2017 at 7:15 am
Old Jan 27, 2017, 10:56 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Mrtravel28

I stayed in this property after x-mas 2016 and had 3 rooms. Traveled with both my parents and my in-laws. You can read about the not so great experience in that thread.

The piece I would like to understand is the allowed nudity. I realize some folks might feel like entering a sauna with a towel only. However what is the hotel's role in providing enough information to its guests about this. Furthermore, this nudity was both male and female, while children were present. All it said on the door to the entire Saunas, showers, infrared, steam area door was that children under 12 are not allowed unsupervised. There was no suggestion that full nudity is to be expected in the entire area. There were folks walking around (not sure the health benefit of that) fully nude, between the different spa rooms/devices. Showering fully nude, laying in the salt room fully nude, with legs spread (I know it sounds like a joke but to have your 77 year old in-laws with it wasn't comfortable at all).

I questioned the spa front desk who claimed they don't know the number to the manager. After myself calling front desk manager I was told that nudity is allowed.

After arriving back in states I filed a corporate complaint with SPG regarding this. Today I received a canned response from the GM saying they are sorry that I was not satisfied....

I know the Westin Maui allows nudity in the spa (not accessible without extra pay or platinum status, clearly divided where male and female are not together, and they warn you first thing when you come in - I think a big difference).

I am pretty disappointed that SPG wouldn't address this at all. I don't want to take anyone's freedoms away, but there is common decency and what I saw was beyond that.
It's Germany, and German approaches to this is what prevails even at German hotels operating under an American company's flag. Before visiting Germany or some other places, unless doing lots of research about what all you want to try to avoid, these are the kind of "surprises" that make travel so interesting for so many.

Seriously, I don't see this as grounds for the hotel to apologize for a service failure.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by GUWonder
It's Germany, and German approaches to this is what prevails even at German hotels operating under an American company's flag. Before visiting Germany or some other places, unless doing lots of research about what all you want to try to avoid, these are the kind of "surprises" that make travel so interesting for so many.

Seriously, I don't see this as grounds for the hotel to apologize for a service failure.
There's no reason for the OP to expect a Starwood-wide approach. Hotels operate to local norms and laws.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 11:07 am
Original Poster

Austria, and not a norm. If anything the norm would be 18 year old, not 12.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 11:08 am
Original Poster

There were other failures I was thinking at minimum an apology would be acceptable. If it is the "norm" to be naked in public areas, why not tell me that, rather than claim "sorry that you aren't happy".
Old Jan 27, 2017, 11:11 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred

You were in a different country. You're views don't necessarily reflect others views.

I agree with the GM. The real question is are you uncomfortable with nudity?
Old Jan 27, 2017, 11:12 am
Original Poster

My question isn't that of country norm. It is of should SPG ask their hotels to post signage or inform guests when norms violate basic decency?

The claims that countries like Germany or Austria allow this is simply not true. All public pools or spas I ever visited in German or Austria include information about this (They have separate hours or days, or they include separate locations in the facility, always clearly marked and also clearly marking from where on you are expected to be clothed).
Old Jan 27, 2017, 11:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KENNECTED
You were in a different country. You're views don't necessarily reflect others views.

I agree with the GM. The real question is are you uncomfortable with nudity?
HAHA.....yes, I don't appreciate other people's crotch in my face or next to me when I am in a relax zone.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sorry, but there are even many Americans who don't consider nudity as a violation of "basic human decency."
Old Jan 27, 2017, 11:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rickg523
Sorry, but there are even many Americans who don't consider nudity as a violation of "basic human decency."
I said I don't want to take other's rights away, but why couldn't the hotel have a clear warning about this. And the question is, is that a wise SPG biz decision?

Either way it is good to see most FT members see it a no big deal. I hope you all don't walk around kids naked, along with your in-laws.....
Old Jan 27, 2017, 11:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
If it is the "norm" to be naked in public areas,
Am I the only one that thought this thread was going to be about nudity in the lobby area?

BTW - there's a thread in the travel health & fitness forum re: nudity in spas overseas.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...otel-spas.html

Cheers.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I said I don't want to take other's rights away, but why couldn't the hotel have a clear warning about this. And the question is, is that a wise SPG biz decision?

Either way it is good to see most FT members see it a no big deal. I hope you all don't walk around kids naked, along with your in-laws.....
No. I agree hotels should clearly inform customers about all things that pertain to their stay. I hate it if my booking includes Club access but it's left to me to figure out where it is, when it's open, and the like.
But I view not getting notice that use of steam rooms and saunas are clothing optional and co-ed is exactly the SAME kind of oversight.
Not a violation of basic human decency. But I don't consider my children seeing a naked human body a life changing event.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 11:25 am

All public bathhouses in japan are also like that. Why is it that an SPG biz decision?
If you don't feel comfortable with nudity, just leave the sauna. What do you want SPG to do? Give you 10000 points for seeing too many crotches?
Old Jan 27, 2017, 11:38 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Am I the only one that thought this thread was going to be about nudity in the lobby area?
That's EXACTLY what I thought the thread was about. It's almost like the title is click-bait.

Perhaps the mods could retitle this and change "hotel common area" to "spa/sauna common area".
Old Jan 27, 2017, 11:45 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
HAHA.....yes, I don't appreciate other people's crotch in my face or next to me when I am in a relax zone.
Stayed here last few days of 2016. Booked 3 rooms on points. Upon arrival I was told two rooms were upgraded, but I didn't notice what about them was upgraded as they were merely few inches larger but also had a slanted ceiling, so not sure. The two "upgraded" rooms had horrible heating and it took hours for a technician to get the heat to work properly. Given it was during a snowstorm it was pretty uncomfortable in there. Received a fruit platter as apology.

In one of the rooms the TV didn't work at all and it took several hours to get a technician and about half hour of technician being in the room with my family to fix it.

In the sauna (the entire sauna area, not the actual steam room) there were combined men and women naked (all while children were also present). I was told that is acceptable. No towels, was told wouldn't be getting any more that night.

Didn't receive my "make a green choice point" or platinum gift points. Took a month and getting William involved to get a canned response with no resolution or apology for that matter.

Stayed here many times before with no issues, but they had a change in management and I will not be going back.

The nudity is really what I question, as the rest are technical issues that shouldn't be happening, but seeing peoples private parts all while kids are running around doesn't seem like the SPG way.
Why would someones crotch be near your face?

based on what you've written, seems you have a issue with nudity. We're all born naked.

Is there a reason you stayed?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.