Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Innovation Lab for Aloft & Element brands; Communal living rooms; Los Angeles event

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Innovation Lab for Aloft & Element brands; Communal living rooms; Los Angeles event

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2017, 8:30 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Are there enough folk who want the communal experience to make it cost-effective for the franchisees/Marriott to put this in? I get family reunions, some vacations, some trade shows for biznesses, but wonder overall if that's enough to make it worthwhile implementing it.

The we're getting positive feedback I take w/ a grain of salt. There may be some that think it's a good idea, but not sure of the majority. Plus, even when hotel chains (and airlines) implement 'enhancements' that they say gets positive response, the comments by frequent travelers are often the opposite.

Cheers.
A majority does not need to like it. Only enough people who would be sufficient to sustain a niche brand need to like it for it to be a good business idea.

I might "like" or "dislike" Aman hotels, but it only matters if I'm in the target market and I do or don't patronize them. The same is true with Motel 6. And I guarantee you that the same people don't patronize them both. Probably neither one of those chains could get approval from the majority of frequent travelers, but they both have sustainable business models.

One legitimate concern is that this should be an individual traveler's choice to patronize or not patronize the concept. I can imagine problems if a business books all of it's employees on a project into such a grouping for a long term stay and some folks don't want to be "immersed" with the group during their off-work hours.

Last edited by DeweyCheathem; Feb 7, 2017 at 8:53 am
Old Feb 7, 2017, 8:38 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Threads merged

Originally Posted by bdschobel
Note that the Starwood board already has a thread on this topic, and it started much earlier. I'm going to send this thread to Starwood so that the two long threads can be merged.

Bruce
In the spirit of the topic, we now have a communal thread.

New readers can view the pictures from the 'innovation lab event' upthread, where the concept was demonstrated.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 9:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by DeweyCheathem
A majority does not need to like it. Only enough people who would be sufficient to sustain a niche brand need to like it for it to be a good business idea.

I might "like" or "dislike" Aman hotels, but it only matters if I'm in the target market and I do or don't patronize them. The same is true with Motel 6. And I guarantee you that the same people don't patronize them both. Probably neither one of those chains could get approval from the majority of frequent travelers, but they both have sustainable business models.

One legitimate concern is that this should be an individual traveler's choice to patronize or not patronize the concept. I can imagine problems if a business books all of it's employees on a project into such a grouping for a long term stay and some folks don't want to be "immersed" with the group during their off-work hours.
I didn't say anything about liking or disliking. I simply wondered if there were enough people to make it a viable business decision for franchisees/Marriott to justify the cost of implementing it into properties.

Cheers.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 9:43 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by Zeeb
That was my thought as well. That said... I'd never consider booking this. If I wanted to stay at a hostel I'd book at a hostel.
I think people are looking at this one sided. If you're traveling with friends and it's cheaper than individual rooms, this may be an option.

Families that travel together, this may be a place for them. They no longer have to worry dealing with or arranging "adjoining" or "adjacent" rooms.

It wont appeal to everyone, but could be a plus to someone else or a group.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 10:08 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, United Silver, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by bdschobel
Note that the Starwood board already has a thread on this topic, and it started much earlier. I'm going to send this thread to Starwood so that the two long threads can be merged.

Bruce
Ah, thanks for moving it. I wasn't paying attention and only searched in the Marriott forum so I didn't find the original thread.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 10:12 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, United Silver, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
FlyerTalk is the furthest possible thing from the average traveller.
I know, but...it's just hard for me to see that there would be enough real demand for this type of room to justify setting it aside. It's a lot of square footage. Will it go empty if they save it only for groups? Or will they rent the rooms individually, but then a group can't rent it because one of the 4 bedrooms has been taken? It really seems like an inventory management nightmare. But I guess Marriott or SPG IT gets paid the big bucks to figure that out.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 10:42 am

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Most hotels (should) be able to manage this.
Many properties have shared / adjoining suites; so instead of 2 rooms that can be rented together, this is 4.

These "communal living rooms" would strictly be booked as a group offering.
I can see this being very attractive to families, and (some) corporate bookings.

It was mentioned that a lot of younger workers are used to staying in hostels, and are now making travel decisions in companies that have established travel policies. This product would fit that demand well.

Last edited by jerry305; Feb 7, 2017 at 11:05 am
Old Feb 7, 2017, 11:10 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
I didn't say anything about liking or disliking. I simply wondered if there were enough people to make it a viable business decision for franchisees/Marriott to justify the cost of implementing it into properties.

Cheers.
My point was, that doesn't require anything remotely close to a "majority" of frequent travelers for that to be a viable niche product offering.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Another press review:

http://ktla.com/2017/02/06/coming-so...ith-strangers/
Old Feb 7, 2017, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by northwest_buckeye
The bulk of hotel guests are staying for business travel, correct?

Seems like a lot of square footage to spend banking on Ma and Pa Kettle or millennial hipsters filling up. I'm 33, and would never spend a night in one of these rooms for business travel or personal travel (with my wife). Something like a bachelor party or group vacation? Sure, I might look into it (doesn't guarantee a booking). But how much of a hotel's revenue comes from sources that would use this option on a regular basis?

Just seems like a bit of a stretch in the US.
It depends on the market. I can see this concept working relatively well in leisure destinations like Orlando. Put some of these communal rooms just off Disney World property and they will likely be full most nights.

Although less of a home run, I think they'd work near convention centers that routinely host massive national-wide conventions.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
LOL - I read that before & thought it was fluff.

Cheers.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by writerguyfl
It depends on the market. I can see this concept working relatively well in leisure destinations like Orlando. Put some of these communal rooms just off Disney World property and they will likely be full most nights.

Although less of a home run, I think they'd work near convention centers that routinely host massive national-wide conventions.
I'd agree w/ this. Certain 'markets' it would work. Chainwise not so sure.

Cheers.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
This sounds perfect for a (Book of Mormon) bible study group!
Old Feb 8, 2017, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
This sounds perfect for a (Book of Mormon) bible study group!
Perhaps you can lead it
Old Feb 10, 2017, 4:32 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
I think Marriott is trying to kill these brands. While in some spaces this may be a need, overall it is a terrible idea.

Any idea on if the the bathroom is shared too?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.