Wiki Posts
Search

Paying for a room for someone else

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2017, 1:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: UAL - Premier, SPG - Plat
Paying for a room for someone else

Hello - I've been searching through the T&Cs and through this board and I can't seem to find the answer this question so I would appreciate some pointer

i have some friends who coming to visit me in town and I'm planning to pay for their room (7 nights!). I will not be staying in the room itself as it's in my home town.

if I go to the hotel, checkin for my friend in the morning (put my card for incidental), and tell the front desk that I won't be staying and ask them to give the key to my friend (her name in the reservation), will they still give me the points and the stay?

Thank you for the pointer.

cheers
Old Jan 22, 2017, 1:23 am

Programs: Former DL DM and UA 1k, now a J class free agent (UA Gold, AS MVP Gold)
Yes, in my experience as long as the reservation is in your name and you pay for it.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 4:51 am
Used to be bulldoggolfer05

Programs: HGP DMD, HHonors DMD, SPG PLT, MR PLT
I would probably leave out the part about you not staying, just check-in, ask for your friend's name to be added to the reservation, and ask that a key be issued to her.

If you have a rogue front desk clerk, telling them that you won't personally be staying at the property may cause them to mark the stay as ineligible.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 5:18 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
If you have Platinum status and your home isn't too far from the hotel, turn up to breakfast each morning for a free meal
Old Jan 22, 2017, 9:26 am

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite & Lifetime Gold, Heathrow Rewards Premium, Tesco Clubcard
In my experience I've paid for someone else but not received points as they said I was not staying.

So as others have mentioned, perhaps check in then give the key to your friend.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 9:41 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
The times when I do this, I always include the name of the other person in the reservation and put a note that they have sign in privileges. Day of reservation I call the hotel to confirm this, and tell them that I'm running late due to work, but my friend will arrive earlier, they can sign in and should be allowed a key. Never had any problem.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by alanslegal
If you have Platinum status and your home isn't too far from the hotel, turn up to breakfast each morning for a free meal
Assuming that your friend hasn't eaten it first.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 12:05 pm

Programs: Starriot Platinum, DL PM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by arollins
The times when I do this, I always include the name of the other person in the reservation and put a note that they have sign in privileges. Day of reservation I call the hotel to confirm this, and tell them that I'm running late due to work, but my friend will arrive earlier, they can sign in and should be allowed a key. Never had any problem.
I did this once on an award redemption when my spouse was able to be rebooked on an earlier flight when our flight was cancelled, but I couldn't leave early due to work commitments. She had no problem as a second guest on the room that I authorized by phone to check in independently. I eventually arrived the next morning and showered in the room & had breakfast at the hotel before we checked out.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 12:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UAL - Premier, SPG - Plat
Thanks guys. After reading the reply, I will check-in, get my key and just asked my friend to do her regular checkin. I won't share too much info with the front desk to avoid confusion
Old Jan 22, 2017, 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by NDDomer86
If you have a rogue front desk clerk, telling them that you won't personally be staying at the property may cause them to mark the stay as ineligible.
Technically, that's not a "rogue" agent; it's just someone following the terms and conditions of the SPG program.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 7:14 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Assuming that your friend hasn't eaten it first.

If Plat - Two guests registered, hence 2 breakfasts included.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.