Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Mira Hong Kong, Design Hotel [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2016, 10:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM

Anyone stayed in this hotel recently? Don't see any reviews at all on the SPG site.

In particular, I'm wondering if Plats get lounge access and they do upgrades.

thx
Old Nov 25, 2016, 3:30 pm

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Originally Posted by porciuscato
Anyone stayed in this hotel recently? Don't see any reviews at all on the SPG site.

In particular, I'm wondering if Plats get lounge access and they do upgrades.

thx
I didn't stay at the Mira Hong Kong, but did stay at the Mira Moon Hong Kong, which if they have the same owner, and thus same practices, my experience may be of some value.

I don't believe most SPG benefits apply at the Design hotels so I wasn't expecting much. But, when I checked in they upgraded me to a larger corner room.

I was pleasantly surprised by the room. It was really nice, modern, and chic with a big bathroom. The room had a large entry/hallway as well which made it feel more roomy.

Overall I really enjoyed my stay there and will definitely consider it for my next HK stay.

As far as lounge access goes, I wasn't aware there was any lounge at these hotels, nor did I receive access if there was.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 7:35 am

One Night Stay at Mira Hong Kong

Just checked into the Mira Hong Kong tonight for a one-night stay. I booked the base Studio room at the rate of HKD 1,330/night.

Check in was handled very smoothly by the agent, but right from the start, the conversation went something like this, upon showing my SPG Platinum Card.
- "please note that we are only an SPG partner hotel, so we do not have to upgrade you. However, we have checked the situation, and this time is ok to upgrade you to a suite."
- "please note again that we are only an SPG partner hotel, so a lot of the Platinum benefits do not apply. However, we will still give you 500 points as the welcome gift."
- "we remind you that we are only an SPG partner hotel, so you will not get breakfast and checkout time is at noon."

I thought, wow, if three out of the 5-6 sentences the agent spoke during the entire check in conversation was about how the SPG benefits do NOT apply here, what's the point of being part of Starwood anyway? Sure, I know that Design Hotels have limited SPG benefits, but when the agent is there to continually remind the guest of such, it is a slight turnoff. Honestly speaking, I could care less if I got an upgraded room or any other entitled or courtesy benefit; I will be checking out at 7:00am the next morning anyway.

My very negative comment about the guest room floors is that the ceiling height is VERY low. I am six feet tall, and I would say that the ceilings in the hallways would extend another 10 inches only above my head. Very claustrophobic feeling walking to the rooms.

The ceiling height in the room is not much better.

Got upgrade to a suite. Not really a proper suite per se, but just a bigger-sized room with an L-shaped sofa. No carpeting in room except under the bed. The rest of the room is a light-color wood flooring. The sofa is of white leather (or synthetic leather), which is showing signs of stains and scratches (i.e. looks dirty). The rest of the room is starting to show its wear with scratch and dents in the wood and in the corners.

I would be hesitant to stay here again. If I need to stay in the Tsim Sha Tsui area, and for a similar (maybe slightly more expensive) price range, will probably go back to the Hyatt Regency.
est-gratuite likes this.

Last edited by Fly Me To The Moon; Jan 4, 2017 at 5:32 am
Old Feb 16, 2017, 6:55 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
I think you misunderstood what they are trying to say due to english limitations. They were offering you benefits above and beyond what you are entitled to. But likely due to their english it came out sounding bad.

I'm considering this property... but the base rooms are terribly small. 21sqm for 5 nights would be a killer... if I knew they'd upgrade to the next size up, I'd do it. Hmmmm.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 7:41 am

Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
I think you misunderstood what they are trying to say due to english limitations. They were offering you benefits above and beyond what you are entitled to. But likely due to their english it came out sounding bad.

I'm considering this property... but the base rooms are terribly small. 21sqm for 5 nights would be a killer... if I knew they'd upgrade to the next size up, I'd do it. Hmmmm.
Nope, no misunderstanding at all. The entire conversation was in native Cantonese. The wording and attitude of the attendant were just plain rude.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 9:33 am
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
I haven't stayed there but I have met people in the bar for drinks and enjoyed it. I like the location as it is across the street from Knutsford Terrace and the area has lot of interesting restaurants and shops.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 9:35 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by Fly Me To The Moon
Nope, no misunderstanding at all. The entire conversation was in native Cantonese. The wording and attitude of the attendant were just plain rude.
This just made me smile. Thanks.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 12:11 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott - Platinum/LTG | KF *G QPPS (working on TPPS) | OZ - Diamond Plus
Just checked into the Mira Hong Kong tonight for a one-night stay. I booked the base Studio room at the rate of HKD 1,330/night.

Check in was handled very smoothly by the agent, but right from the start, the conversation went something like this, upon showing my SPG Platinum Card.
- "please note that we are only an SPG partner hotel, so we do not have to upgrade you. However, we have checked the situation, and this time is ok to upgrade you to a suite."
- "please note again that we are only an SPG partner hotel, so a lot of the Platinum benefits do not apply. However, we will still give you 500 points as the welcome gift."
- "we remind you that we are only an SPG partner hotel, so you will not get breakfast and checkout time is at noon."

I thought, wow, if three out of the 5-6 sentences the agent spoke during the entire check in conversation was about how the SPG benefits do NOT apply here, what's the point of being part of Starwood anyway? Sure, I know that Design Hotels have limited SPG benefits, but when the agent is there to continually remind the guest of such, it is a slight turnoff. Honestly speaking, I could care less if I got an upgraded room or any other entitled or courtesy benefit; I will be checking out at 7:00am the next morning anyway.

My very negative comment about the guest room floors is that the ceiling height is VERY low. I am six feet tall, and I would say that the ceilings in the hallways would extend another 10 inches only above my head. Very claustrophobic feeling walking to the rooms.

The ceiling height in the room is not much better.

Got upgrade to a suite. Not really a proper suite per se, but just a bigger-sized room with an L-shaped sofa. No carpeting in room except under the bed. The rest of the room is a light-color wood flooring. The sofa is of white leather (or synthetic leather), which is showing signs of stains and scratches (i.e. looks dirty). The rest of the room is starting to show its wear with scratch and dents in the wood and in the corners.

I would be hesitant to stay here again. If I need to stay in the Tsim Sha Tsui area, and for a similar (maybe slightly more expensive) price range, will probably go back to the Hyatt Regency.
Welcome to Hong Kong To be honest, I think they were probably doing their best but in my experience the local service, room size, and English language proficiency standards frequently leave something to be desired...

I've not stayed at the Mira myself, but my friends who have (including prior to it becoming a Design Hotel) have had good things to say. Evidently your mileage may vary....
Old Feb 17, 2017, 3:31 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Well then! I must agree - that is very strange indeed. Clearly some CS training is required.
Old Feb 18, 2017, 3:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by horizontal
Welcome to Hong Kong To be honest, I think they were probably doing their best but in my experience the local service, room size, and English language proficiency standards frequently leave something to be desired...
Apparently English proficiency was not relevant to this particular situation.
Old Feb 18, 2017, 7:20 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott - Platinum/LTG | KF *G QPPS (working on TPPS) | OZ - Diamond Plus
Originally Posted by dsquared37
Apparently English proficiency was not relevant to this particular situation.
Ah - I misunderstood the original post! Well I suppose it underscores the point about service standards...
Old Apr 30, 2017, 1:40 am
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Staying here in a few days. Will report back. Booked a rate which includes an upgrade and breakfast; which should make up for the lack of SPG Plat benefits.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 3:37 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, LH FTL, FB Gold, LATAM Black Signature
I have stayed there.

Did not like the size of the room and the overall location of the hotel.

Staff was really friendly and went above and beyond.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 10:35 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
I like the location. Right across the street from all the restaurants on Knutsford Terrace. Close to the Mtr
Old May 4, 2017, 6:37 am
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Stayed here, provided some thoughts on it as compared to the Mira Moon, and a full review of the Mira Moon.

Originally Posted by helvetic
The Mira is much larger which is both good and bad. On the good side, it has a very extensive breakfast offering, and more amenities. It's also easier to get a suite upgrade there—which I got unprompted as an SPG Plat despite it not being a guaranteed benefit. My suite was large and well appointed. But the view was nonexistant. The pool is indoors, which is a big downside for me (I value "hang-out" pools more than "exercise" pools; and by comparison the W has one of the best hotel pools in the world being on the rooftop of a 74-story tower and having a view of the ICC next door and of the skyline across the harbor; as well as an attached bar and even full-on pool parties on select summer weekend nights.) That said, at that price it's a no-brainer vs. the W; which is 25% nicer, but 100% more expensive.

The Mira Moon is about the same price; but has a very different feel. For me I see myself as equally likely to stay at either again. The main differentiators is whether you prefer a busy major hotel and all the amenities it provides, or a boutique feel with much more personal and attentive service. Also, whether you prefer to be in TST or Wan Chai—neither is preferable to the other; it just depends on what you're in HK for. Either way, getting across is easy with both hotels being walkable from the Star Ferry.

Both provide a super-fast portable wifi device.
Can answer any questions. Overall:

- Was impressed to be upgraded to a suite unprompted despite it being a design hotel. My room rate was a promo that included a one-level upgrade; but I received an upgrade from cheapest room to a full suite.
- Was given 2pm late checkout as a courtesy, and breakfast was included in my room rate.
- The price is incredibly good value for what you get.
- I was impressed by the breakfast; which I did not expect to be of that quality based on what I had read and what I paid. The comped breakfast would've cost close to 500HKD for two people.
- Right under the TST Wooloomooloo! Rooftop bars for life!
- Hotel was quite crowded and busy.
- I hate the elevators! Wow, they were frustrating, requiring the key card to be slid in on every use, and arriving so quietly that I never notice it when they arrive and missed it quite a few times.
- No views to speak of; I saw the dirty backyard of a residential tower.
- This is the hotel Edward Snowden stayed in after fleeing to HK.

Overall, great value and would happily stay here again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.