Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Wyndham Makes a 12-hr Play for Starwood Loyalty Members [UPDATE: Now CANCELLED]

Wyndham Makes a 12-hr Play for Starwood Loyalty Members [UPDATE: Now CANCELLED]

Old Oct 11, 2016, 8:34 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by coralsnake
Multiple transactions are allowed and as per T&C the remaining SPG balance is max 499 Starpoints.
Thanks. The minimum donation to the American Red Cross is 2,000, so it looks like it's not possible to donate solely to that particular charity.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 8:42 am
cln

Programs: TK E+, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Dusit Gold
Can u just get a status match without the points ?
Old Oct 11, 2016, 9:21 am

Looks like they pulled the promo. What a disaster. I am glad I decided to wait until I got to work to check out my donation options, because I would be furious if I had donated points and not been able to take advantage.

Well, furious is too strong. At least they would go to a good cause. Champagne all around at SPG.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 9:22 am

LOL. What a fail to cancel this because of "Fraud"
Old Oct 11, 2016, 9:31 am

Wyndham status and point match promo cancelled

Don't donate your points, the offer will not be honored.

https://a.pgtb.me/dBfc49
Old Oct 11, 2016, 9:52 am
GVA

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, BA Silver, Aegean Gold, Aeroplan 25k, AA EXP
Glad I didn't donate any points. I've never been to a Wyndham but this bogus promotion will ensure I never set foot near one. If you can't honor a 12 hour promotion then what does it say about the rest of the program/organization ?
Old Oct 11, 2016, 9:56 am

I've updated the thread title to reflect unfolding events. Is it 'weird Tuesday' or something in America today ?

I have to say that, if I was responsible for such an ill-thought-out and embarrassing event, I would really, really think hard before publicly accusing my best potential customers of fraud .....
Old Oct 11, 2016, 10:00 am

At least they offered a 4 to 1 exchange rate instead of the 3 to 1 Marriott is offering. I am not sure why they don't follow through with the status match portion of the offer?
Old Oct 11, 2016, 10:04 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Somebody in management must have belatedly realized that they had no way to validate the information people submitted. Computer images of account balances are probably quite easy to fake. Even signed receipts from charities could be forged.

A promotion like this needs to specify one charity which will work with the loyalty program to verify that the donations have been received and not clawed back by the source program due to fraud against that program.

At least Wyndham pulled down the offer before it started rather than after. But what about people who didn't find out immediately about this unexpected reversal?

Moral of the story: Consult FlyerTalk before making any major loyalty program transaction!
Old Oct 11, 2016, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
I've updated the thread title to reflect unfolding events. Is it 'weird Tuesday' or something in America today ?

I have to say that, if I was responsible for such an ill-thought-out and embarrassing event, I would really, really think hard before publicly accusing my best potential customers of fraud .....
Excellent point. They should probably follow through with the status match and donate 15,000 Wyndham points to each SPG member which would be enough for one free night.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 10:26 am

Curiouser and curiouser

Just to throw in another twist : yesterday Starwood announced that, until Oct 31, they were matching donations that SPG members made to the American Red Cross in support of Hurricane Matthew relief.

So, under todays Wyndham offer, any SPG member emptying their SPG account in favour of the American Red Cross would have obliged Starwood, in effect, to pay for them to defect to Wyndham ...
Old Oct 11, 2016, 10:45 am

If I ran a loyalty program, the first thing I'd do is hire an accomplished travel hacker to do nothing but give advice. Someone well versed in flyertalk and the various travel blogs.

On the one hand, it would avoid massive screwups like this one. On the other, there actually is a way to appeal to us. To create fair, gameable promotions that excite us and get us involved in programs and their brands and even try their products.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 12:44 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
Just to throw in another twist : yesterday Starwood announced that, until Oct 31, they were matching donations that SPG members made to the American Red Cross in support of Hurricane Matthew relief.

So, under todays Wyndham offer, any SPG member emptying their SPG account in favour of the American Red Cross would have obliged Starwood, in effect, to pay for them to defect to Wyndham ...
wyndhwood management would have been smart to do that, if only they had realized up front all that they may be getting themselves into doing.

Given KLM and JetBlue have managed to do account balance matches of some sorts, Wyndham could have probably pulled it off too, if only their marketing budget were as big and they made it more conditional than just what they were asking.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 12:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Did they have any way to verify the donations? Or was it just screenshots?

The requirement to empty out an account was just stupid to begin with. Certainly airlines and hotels know their most valuable guests have accounts (and balances) with multiple brands. Forcing someone to empty an account to participate in the promotion seems mean-spirited, and makes me *less* likely to want to do business with Wyndham. (Not that I had a huge burning desire to do so before this promotion...)
Old Oct 11, 2016, 1:09 pm

Well-I donated about 30k points and sent in the email and then found out about cancellation. It will be interesting to see how they handle this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.