Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Ho Chi Minh / Saigon - Le Meridien or Sheraton

Old Sep 29, 2016, 4:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, Delta PM/2MM, Marriott Ambassador Elite/Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond

Curious if anyone has strong feelings regarding one or the other. I'm in town for a conference in mid-October. I enjoy a good club lounge experience.

Edit: I suppose I should ask about Marriott properties too, given the top-tier status match...

Last edited by webmarks; Sep 29, 2016 at 4:43 am
Old Sep 29, 2016, 8:13 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
Le Meridien is a brand new hotel (well, it opened last year) and has a Club Lounge (that wasn't open when I stayed so they did booze and snacks in the bar downstairs).

I can recommend Le Meridien because it's new and they'll upgrade you to a suite if you're Platinum. Location is still walking distance into the centre.

Can't comment on the Sheraton but you'll probably hear that it's an old hotel in a more central location.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 8:41 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

LM is a much better hotel. Excellent Platinum treatment. Great BRG rates of about $100.

Sheraton is old and run-down, with so-so Platinum treatment. More centrally located, though.

Overall, I'd pick the LM in a heartbeat.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 9:39 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
I stayed at the Sheraton my last time through (Le Merdien was not open then).

Sheraton is the old school property, although the club level rooms are quite large.

The lounge was full of Asian families having dinner during happy hour during my visits.

The Park Hyatt (recently rennovated) may be a worthy contender. Diamond Status match maybe?
Old Oct 2, 2016, 9:49 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, Lufthansa M&M FTL, FlyingBlue, Air Berlin Top Bonus
Stayed at the LM earlier this year. Definitely a nice hotel. Got a Suite upgrade (though I think I used SNAs for that) and the Lounge is definitely very very good (we had breakfast and afternoon drinks there).

The Pool area is not particularly nice to hang out though.

If you decide to stay there and are looking for a restaurant in the area: we liked Quan Bui. https://foursquare.com/v/qu%C3%A1n-b...8ecc57fe062388
Old Oct 3, 2016, 9:58 am

Le Meridien all the way. Had a great experience there!
Old Oct 3, 2016, 7:43 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
I've stayed at the one Marriott property in Saigon, The Renaissance. It's definitely an older hotel but the lounge is decent. Sounds like LM is the way to go.
Old Oct 3, 2016, 8:35 pm

LM is nice.Go before it shows its age. No point going to The Renaissance.

Sheraton is more central but LM is not too far either. Nice lounge upstairs, also has cool pool area looking over the river. Use a SNA.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 11:02 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K/MillionMiler; Delta Diamond; AA Plat; Marriott Titanium; Hyatt Globalist
LM may be a bit less central, but it is also directly adjacent to one of the emerging, hip arts & design spots in the city. The character (and food and entertainment options) that adds makes up for the otherwise more peripheral location compared to the Sheraton. So no contest: Meridien.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 11:16 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat. WOH Glob. SQ Gold
I'm currently at the Le Meridien and don't find the location an issue. Going to the tourist sites I just take a cab which costs next to nothing. Also nice to be able to walk around the area around the hotel without someone calling out "Hey Mister", "Hello Sir" "Where you going" etc every few minutes.

A LOT of tour groups at the LM though.
Old Oct 7, 2016, 11:34 am

Programs: Nexus/GE, UA/MPG, Bonvoy Tit, LTP
Stayed at LM in February. Lounge was really nice breakfast and evening. The pool is weird, cantilevered out of the side of the building but directly over a shipyard, so that when we were there the ambiance was one of clattering hammers and power tools from 10 floors below. the hotel is really nice though. As for SNA we didn't and got really nice suites on both occasions but YMMV obviously.
Old Oct 16, 2016, 6:46 am

We are heading to Vietnam in February.........staying at Sheraton, Le Meridien and Sheraton Nha Trang.
Will we need any sort of electrical adapters on this trip or will the hotel be fine from that standpoint?
Old Nov 25, 2016, 4:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Heading there in a few days - the hotel confirmed per email, that the Plat upgrade is standard suite (not showing on the reservation yet)
Old Nov 26, 2016, 3:13 am

I'll buck the trend and vote for Sheraton because of the central location. If you need the modern LeM look book the Tower wing. No upgrades to the Tower if you book the old wing. Always got a suite in the old wing and having viewed all three "properties" preferred the old wing with its huge rooms and higher ceilings. But it IS old Sheraton
Old Dec 11, 2016, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Well, no suite upgrade for Plat... :-(

We got Exec room with river view - the dock was empty most of the time, no works going on, but we got two VN navy missile ships guarding us

Location wise the Sheraton is better, and IIRC last year I got suite upgrade there. But Saigon is such a small city, that it's just a 5 min or so walk to rue Catinat from the Méridien.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.