Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Did it just get easier to earn starpoints?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2016, 10:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, IHG (Platinum Elite), Amtrak Guest Rewards, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors
Did it just get easier to earn starpoints?

So correct me if I"m wrong, but this new merger, and the ability to transfer points from Marriott to SPG means that it just got a whole lot easier to earn SPG points.

For example, for SPG stays, you get 2 points per dollar for the stay; at Marriott, you get 10 points per dollar for the stay, which, since they transfer at a rate of 1:3, means that staying at a Starwood property would net you 200 starpts/$100 of spend, whereas the same $100 spend at Marriott would net you 333 starpointspoints. Even with the credit card, you get 2 extra SPG points/dollar, raising the total to 4 points per dollar and 400 points/$100 of spend. With marriott's credit card, you get an extra 10 points/$1, meaning a total of 20 points/$1 and 2000 marriott points, which would be 666 starpoints/$100....unless I'm doing the math drastically wrong.

Of course, I know there are SPG loyalists who prefer to stay at SPG hotels only, and the draw for them is the hotels as much as the points earning. But for those of us who aren't die-hard SPG loyalists (like me), I'm looking at this as a new opportunity to earn starpoints more easily, and by spending less money. Looking at it from an earn-and-burn point of view, this opens up the possibility of earning with marriott but redeeming with SPG, at least for the time being. It's making me seriously consider signing up for the Marriott card...

thoughts?
Old Sep 26, 2016, 10:50 am

Ah, I'm considering allocating more stays to RC and transfer the points to SPG for the added transfer flexibility. So, in a way, yes.

But, we only have until 2018, since the combined program could be entirely different.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
I earn 4 pts/$ so will be sticking with SPG. Plus I find the add-ons with SPG add up quickly. 500/night for Green choice, 500 for Plat amenity, 2000 for BRG. Since I'm usually staying on very cheap rates, these add-ons are usually significantly more than the points I earn for a stay.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by margarita girl
I earn 4 pts/$ so will be sticking with SPG. Plus I find the add-ons with SPG add up quickly. 500/night for Green choice, 500 for Plat amenity, 2000 for BRG. Since I'm usually staying on very cheap rates, these add-ons are usually significantly more than the points I earn for a stay.
That's some points efficiency you've got going on there! ^
Old Sep 26, 2016, 11:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Remember that various limited service brands only earn five points per dollar. Also, the bonus points due to status are calculated differently.

Note also that at RC, you only earn points on the room rate, not F&B, etc.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 11:33 am

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Visconti
That's some points efficiency you've got going on there! ^
She's not known at the "BRG Queen" for nothing!
Old Sep 26, 2016, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I hadn't realized that. Wow, for a longer stay, this could add up.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 12:58 pm

Programs: UA1K MM, JL JMB SAPPHIRE, Marriott Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
I believe with Marriott CC you only earn 5 points per $ instead of 10.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 1:01 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Remember that various limited service brands only earn five points per dollar. Also, the bonus points due to status are calculated differently.

Two extended-stay brands (Residence Inn and TownPlace) earn 5 point per dollar.

The "various limited service brands" (Courtyard, Fairfield, SpringHill, Moxy, AC Hotels, Protea) all earn 10 points per dollar on the room rate only. Gaylord, Ritz, and EDITION also earn 10 points per dollar on the room rate only.

The five full-service brands with the best Elite benefits (Marriott, Renaissance, JW Marriott, Autograph Collection, Delta) earn 10 points per dollar, not just on the room rate, but also on most incidental spending. The same is case for Marriott Vacation Club.

See https://www.marriott.com/marriott-re...earn/hotels.mi
Old Sep 26, 2016, 1:08 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Horace
Two extended-stay brands (Residence Inn and TownPlace) earn 5 point per dollar.
See https://www.marriott.com/marriott-re...earn/hotels.mi
Interesting they don't even show TownePlace there.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 1:09 pm

The premise of this thread is that it's now easier to build up an SPG points balance by using Rewards' more generous "earn" on stays and then transferring those points to SPG.

Fair enough.

But there's a downside for SPG members who normally qualify for SPG Gold or SPG Platinum each year. If an SPG member reduces his or her Starwood-legacy nights below the re-qualification threshold in that process, that member may end lose status in both programs.

The alternative is to try to achieve elite status with Rewards instead of with SPG -- but that takes far more nights.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Interesting they don't even show TownePlace there.
The TownPlace Suites logo is to the right of the Residence Inn logo in the same box ("Earn 5 points per $1USD you spend on room rates").
Old Sep 26, 2016, 1:26 pm

Starwood is still the better deal for me. An example for $150 a night for 3 nights:

MR Plat: 15 pts x $150 x 3 = 6750
+ 500 points for checkin
+ 1000 MAGC points

Total: 8250 / 3 = 2750 SPG points

SPG 75 nights: 4 pts x $150 x 3 = 2250
+ 500 points for checkin
+ 1000 MAGC points

Total: 3750 SPG points
Old Sep 26, 2016, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by longtimereader firstimeposter
Starwood is still the better deal for me. An example for $150 a night for 3 nights:

MR Plat: 15 pts x $150 x 3 = 6750
+ 500 points for checkin
+ 1000 MAGC points

Total: 8250 / 3 = 2750 SPG points

SPG 75 nights: 4 pts x $150 x 3 = 2250
+ 500 points for checkin
+ 1000 MAGC points

Total: 3750 SPG points
Yes, it's a better deal for you.

But that math only works if you're SPG Platinum-75 and you're not using a co-branded credit to pay for the stay.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by Horace
The TownPlace Suites logo is to the right of the Residence Inn logo in the same box ("Earn 5 points per $1USD you spend on room rates").
I see what happened. Somehow, that image was being AdBlřcked for me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.