Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Cities where Marriott hotels are better than Starwood hotels?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cities where Marriott hotels are better than Starwood hotels?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2016, 1:29 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1K, Delta Plat
Frankfurt, Germany. I was there recently for a business trip and stayed in three SPG hotels:
1. Westin Grand frankfurt
2. Le meridien Parkhotel Frankfurt
3. Sheraton offenbach (Not exactly Frankfurt but close enough)

I think Marriott Frankfurt in city center beats them all hands down.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 8:00 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by dannybhoy
Does Marriott have any aspirational properties along the lines of say Mystique in Santorini, or in the likes of Tahiti/Bora-Bora/Maldives?
Ritz-Carlton Reserve (but you can't use points) is the epitome of 'Marriott aspirational' - some of the best resorts in the world.

About 5-12 aspirational Ritz-Carltons elsewhere.

Some JWs, but not many.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 9:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by pricesquire
Ritz-Carlton Reserve (but you can't use points) is the epitome of 'Marriott aspirational' - some of the best resorts in the world.

About 5-12 aspirational Ritz-Carltons elsewhere.

Some JWs, but not many.
IMO many of these aren't aspirational because they tend to be cookie cutter. They can be top hotels, but they tend to be too uniform to be interesting.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 10:54 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
IMO many of these aren't aspirational because they tend to be cookie cutter. They can be top hotels, but they tend to be too uniform to be interesting.
Are you referring to regular RCs? Because I've never heard anyone say Ritz Carlton Reserve properties are cookie-cutter. There are only 6 of them worldwide & they don't participate in RC rewards.

Cheers.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 11:23 am

New York Category 8 hotels require 13,333 Starwood Points. Cat 7 around 12,000. Residence Inn World Trade Center and Residence inn Central Park / Midtown East beat Sheratons / Four Points any day IMO
Old Sep 28, 2016, 2:24 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by DealAddict
New York Category 8 hotels require 13,333 Starwood Points. Cat 7 around 12,000. Residence Inn World Trade Center and Residence inn Central Park / Midtown East beat Sheratons / Four Points any day IMO
It's been a few years since I last stayed at a Residence Inn in some small town somewhere. I recall not being thrilled with the bed, and feeling like it was more a select service hotel than any proper Sheraton/Marriott.

Am I wrong? The Sheraton Sleeper bed is extremely comfortable, even if Sheraton as a brand is inconsistent across the USA. I'd assume most Sheraton properties will be nicer and have a little better service and services offered than at most Residence Inns.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 3:05 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by bhrubin
It's been a few years since I last stayed at a Residence Inn in some small town somewhere. I recall not being thrilled with the bed, and feeling like it was more a select service hotel than any proper Sheraton/Marriott.

Am I wrong? The Sheraton Sleeper bed is extremely comfortable, even if Sheraton as a brand is inconsistent across the USA. I'd assume most Sheraton properties will be nicer and have a little better service and services offered than at most Residence Inns.
Residence Inn is a select service hotel, but some of the newer ones built in New York are clean, well located, offer breakfast and a competitive good rate. The Sheratons in New York are older. Unless you are talking about a luxury hotel, in New York you generally want a newer room compared to an older one, and most of the newer rooms are in brands like Residence Inn, Courtyard, Hilton Garden Inn, etc.

This applies within brands as well; you could argue the Residence Inn Central Park is a better hotel than the nearby Marriott Marquis, for example. TripAdvisor Agrees - the Residence Inn Central Park is ranked #109 in NYC hotels, the Marriott Marquis is #209.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 3:12 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium

FWIW - I'm not sure DealAddict was commenting on all RIs, but just these 2 properties. Also, there's probably a difference between new builds & older RIs.

Cheers.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 3:46 pm

Yeah, I wasn't necessarily commenting on all RIs, but rather on the fact that Marriott Cat 8 portfolio in New York offers better properties (Renaissance Midtown, some of the newer Courtyards) for roughly the same amount of points (a little more) compared to a Cat 5 SPG.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 3:48 pm

The newer Residence Inns in NYC are much more upscale than you would normally think...
Old Sep 28, 2016, 4:02 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Thanks for the follow up, guys.

But no one mentioned anything about the beds at the RI versus a Marriott Marquis or Sheraton or other upper upscale property. I'd want a very comfortable bed...and the Sheraton has it. The RI didn't--by a big margin as I remember. New is lovely...but it doesn't make a bad bed better!
Old Sep 28, 2016, 4:16 pm

Thanks for the follow up, guys.

But no one mentioned anything about the beds at the RI versus a Marriott Marquis or Sheraton or other upper upscale property. I'd want a very comfortable bed...and the Sheraton has it. The RI didn't--by a big margin as I remember. New is lovely...but it doesn't make a bad bed better!
Marriott Cat 8 portfolio is not just the Residence Inn though.

It's not just the newness of RI... the Four Points in NYC are extremely barebones and lack amenities such as kitchenette, microwave, breakfast. Anyways, I'm just saying the SPG Cat 5 properties in NYC are ether old or don't have the amenities.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 5:00 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Marriott Cat 8 portfolio is not just the Residence Inn though.

It's not just the newness of RI... the Four Points in NYC are extremely barebones and lack amenities such as kitchenette, microwave, breakfast. Anyways, I'm just saying the SPG Cat 5 properties in NYC are ether old or don't have the amenities.
I actually like the Four Points in New York...for what they are. I've had nice stays at both the Chelsea (my fave) and the Times Square FP. The smaller Chelsea property is my preferred property with my student groups I lead, actually--and they treat us very well. I have been upgraded there to quite a suite with a terrace looking out to the Empire State Bldg. I didn't even know that any FP had suites!

I don't want a kitchenette in my room as I'm not looking for an extended stay. And in NYC, there's always a nearby place to get something to eat or an easy way to order in. There is the Westside Brewhouse at the FP Chelsea, though, so breakfast is available.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 5:51 pm

I actually like the Four Points in New York...for what they are. I've had nice stays at both the Chelsea (my fave) and the Times Square FP. The smaller Chelsea property is my preferred property with my student groups I lead, actually--and they treat us very well. I have been upgraded there to quite a suite with a terrace looking out to the Empire State Bldg. I didn't even know that any FP had suites!

I don't want a kitchenette in my room as I'm not looking for an extended stay. And in NYC, there's always a nearby place to get something to eat or an easy way to order in. There is the Westside Brewhouse at the FP Chelsea, though, so breakfast is available.

I understand you don't need a kitchenette, and there may be nothing wrong with the Four Points in NYC per se. I am just saying for almost the same points (13.3K vs 12K) I'd rather stay in properties with more modern or larger rooms with more amenities. Marriott has better full-service properties in that point range IMO than the Sheraron. I think it's great for thise with loads of SPG points that the selection of properties for which you have to pay "Cat 5" SPG number of points is now much wider.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

64th floor Residence Inn Central Park = highest rooms in NYC, by far

most brands, most of which have many (franchise) hotels, vary quite dramatically

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.