Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SPG Gold - what is the big deal?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2016, 10:05 pm
Original Poster

SPG Gold - what is the big deal?

I am a Marriott Gold and am generally treated quite well in Marriott & Renaissance properties, particularly in Europe & Asia, which is where most of my stays are.

I had no status on SPG and now with the merger, I got my SPG status upgraded to Gold.

But there seems to be no substantial advantage of SPG Gold over SPG kettle . True you get a few extra points, but the marginal value of that to me is peanuts.

The most important Marriott Gold benefit for me is free breakfast / lounge access, but it seems that that does not apply to SPG hotels. So why should I get excited about my newly minted SPG Gold status and start booking SPG properties now?

What am I missing?
Old Sep 23, 2016, 10:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
You're not missing much. Gold gets you late checkout, 50% more points, and room upgrades. Platinum is the real meat of the SPG program, and that's where breakfast, lounge access, and suite upgrades come in.

Marriott - big jump from basic to Gold, nothing major at Platinum.
SPG - nothing major at Gold, big jump from Gold to Platinum.

If you really want to learn more about Gold status, see this thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...what-they.html

Last edited by mahasamatman; Sep 23, 2016 at 10:21 pm Reason: Add thread link
Old Sep 23, 2016, 10:20 pm

The main appeal of SPG Gold is to allow for higher points earnings via SPG at *woods, Delta crossover, and late checkout.

If you value the free breakfast and club access, MR Gold is considerably better than SPG Gold.

Last edited by Visconti; Sep 23, 2016 at 10:25 pm Reason: corrected Amex earning more points via Gold...
Old Sep 23, 2016, 10:22 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Visconti
The main appeal of SPG Gold is to allow for higher points earnings via the Amex SPG at *woods ...
Status has no bearing on Amex earning.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Status has no bearing on Amex earning.
With Gold, you earn extra point on SPG over Preferred. But, yes, the points on the Amex card are independent of status.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
To be fair, if your Marriott stays were primarily US, I don't think you'd notice the level of difference that you do in Europe/Asia
Old Sep 24, 2016, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
To be fair, if your Marriott stays were primarily US, I don't think you'd notice the level of difference that you do in Europe/Asia
free breakfast and lounge access vs. nothing?
How is this a EU-USA difference
Old Sep 24, 2016, 11:37 am

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Originally Posted by howsands
What am I missing?
Nothing.

SPG Gold is lame. Worse than most other hotel mid-tier elite levels. The dirty "secret" most SPG apologists ignore.

If you can do 25 stays at *wood then shift those 25 nights and earn Platinum in both programs.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 11:47 am

SPG Gold guaranteed 4pm late checkout is way more than "nothing" to me. Marriott had no such thing before this past May.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 12:01 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by howsands
I am a Marriott Gold and am generally treated quite well in Marriott & Renaissance properties, particularly in Europe & Asia, which is where most of my stays are.

I had no status on SPG and now with the merger, I got my SPG status upgraded to Gold.

But there seems to be no substantial advantage of SPG Gold over SPG kettle . True you get a few extra points, but the marginal value of that to me is peanuts.

The most important Marriott Gold benefit for me is free breakfast / lounge access, but it seems that that does not apply to SPG hotels. So why should I get excited about my newly minted SPG Gold status and start booking SPG properties now?

What am I missing?
You're not missing anything.

Rewards and SPG both use the same terms (Gold and Platinum), but the benefits are quite different.

With Rewards, the difference between Gold and Platinum is limited. The biggest benefit -- the lounge/breakfast benefit at five Marriott full-service brands -- is the same for Gold and Platinum. Gold is genuinely valuable.

With SPG, there's a huge difference between Gold and Platinum. Gold provides a welcome gift and is better than not having status at all. Platinum is another story. As loyal SPG members on this board keep reminding us, Starwood properties often treat SPG Platinum guests (especially at higher Platinum tiers) as VIPs, with suite upgrades and other recognition.

I've been SPG Gold for a number of years. I've found the benefits to be inconsistent. I've only received a meaningful upgrade once. A Sheraton and a Westin gave me lounge access, even though it's not a published benefit. A week apart, one Aloft gave me a welcome dessert and vouchers for breakfast, while another ignored my Gold status entirely (until I asked about the next day and received one free beer in the lobby bar). Gold is not particularly valuable.

Where members with linked accounts can really benefit now is that it's much easier to qualify for SPG Gold. With as few as ten 1-night stays, you're SPG Gold. With an SPG AmEx credit card, it's even easier. Then you're Rewards Gold too!

The downside of splitting stays across the two programs is that it becomes harder to re-qualify if you're not someone who has a significant number of hotel nights each year.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by photaco
SPG Gold guaranteed 4pm late checkout is way more than "nothing" to me. Marriott had no such thing before this past May.
I think for the leisure traveler who plans for 10 - 15 nights would find the instant Gold status (late checkout, DL crossover & bonus points) conferred from merely having an Amex Plat to be of some value, assuming the latter were to be their travel benefit card of choice.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by cfischer
free breakfast and lounge access vs. nothing?
How is this a EU-USA difference
No - Marriott Gold. OP talked about being treated well in Europe/Asia as a MR Gold, and my point is that in just about ANY program the treatment is better in Europe/Asia, and that Gold in the US in Marriott isn't really anything "special", esp. now with the flood of UA flyers who now have it (myself included).
Old Sep 24, 2016, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Segments
SPG Gold is lame. Worse than most other hotel mid-tier elite levels. The dirty "secret" most SPG apologists ignore.
The other side of the coin you're ignoring is that SPG Gold is free for a good amount of folks (via a CC), or even if you're getting it the hard way (staying), it can easily be done in 10-15 nights, vs. the 50 needed for MR Gold.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by Segments
SPG Gold is lame. Worse than most other hotel mid-tier elite levels.
Since Gold is not a mid-tier status, that makes sense. It's the entry-level elite status. If you take time to actually understand the program before trashing it, it all makes more sense.

My rankings pretty much interleave the programs: MR base < MR Silver < SPG base < SPG Gold < MR Gold < MR Platinum < SPG Platinum < SPG Platinum50 < SPG Platinum75+

(One could also point out that Marriott Platinum really serves no purpose. It's only marginally better than Gold.)

The other side of the coin you're ignoring is that SPG Gold is free for a good amount of folks (via a CC)
So are both MR Gold and Platinum.

Last edited by mahasamatman; Sep 25, 2016 at 4:49 pm Reason: Removed inapplicable comment.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 12:47 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
The other side of the coin you're ignoring is that SPG Gold is free for a good amount of folks (via a CC), or even if you're getting it the hard way (staying), it can easily be done in 10-15 nights, vs. the 50 needed for MR Gold.
HHonors Gold is also available via CC and worth more than SPG Gold.

As to getting status the hard way, SPG loyalists keep reminding us how hard it is to be loyal due to the limited footprint. So which is it? Easier due to less nights needed or harder because *wood properties aren't everywhere? Pick one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.