SPG Gold - what is the big deal?

Old Sep 24, 2016, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
So are both MR Gold and Platinum.
I won't argue with you about Gold - I've been saying that Marriott killed off the sanctity of the Gold level once they started giving it away to ~1MM+ UA elites annually.

Platinum is a stretch though, that's quite a difference between getting SPG Gold from a $450 AmEx Platinum card vs. spending $100K+ on your Marriott Visa to get Platinum "for free"
Old Sep 24, 2016, 1:01 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Since Gold is not a mid-tier status, that makes sense. It's the entry-level elite status. If you take time to actually understand the program before trashing it, it all makes more sense
I understand the programs and was elite in both prior to the merger.

So you are acknowledging that Marriott elites got screwed when the programs matched SPG Gold to Marriott Gold versus Silver (entry elite level)? And Marriott Platinum which requires 75 nights should have matched to SPG Platinum 75?
Old Sep 24, 2016, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Segments
HHonors Gold is also available via CC and worth more than SPG Gold.

As to getting status the hard way, SPG loyalists keep reminding us how hard it is to be loyal due to the limited footprint. So which is it? Easier due to less nights needed or harder because *wood properties aren't everywhere? Pick one.
I've maintained that Hilton has the dumbest "strategy" of all the major hotel chains...give away a good mid-tier (40 night) status level w/a $95 card, yet not really offer any materially better benefits at the Diamond (60 night) level.

Re: SPG, I don't have to "pick one"...the brand smartly had a clear night requirement and benefit distinction between Gold and Plat (unlike MR IMO, where Plat isn't that materially different from Gold, and PPlat even less so vs. Plat). SPG figured out how to retain members a few years ago with increasing benefits at 50, 75, and 100 nights.

SPG Plats need to be fairly loyal due to the larger footprint...Golds less so as it's an easier status level to get/achieve.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So you are acknowledging that Marriott elites got screwed when the programs matched SPG Gold to Marriott Gold versus Silver (entry elite level)? And Marriott Platinum which requires 75 nights should have matched to SPG Platinum 75?
Marriott Plats who matched to SPG Plat got a much better Platinum level, even at the 50 night "tier", compared to MR Plat. No offense to you, but they didn't deserve the 75 level benefits (Your24 and the bonus 4th point).
Old Sep 24, 2016, 1:18 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
I choose not to be loyal to *wood as as I find their properties to be highly inconsistent. In my last three stays, one was great, one was mediocre, and one was horrid (as in call the health department horrid).

I travel enough to maintain top tier status in Marriott and Hilton, plus Hyatt Gold and SPG Gold. Starwood properties are almost always my last choice.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I choose not to be loyal to *wood as as I find their properties to be highly inconsistent. In my last three stays, one was great, one was mediocre, and one was horrid (as in call the health department horrid).

I travel enough to maintain top tier status in Marriott and Hilton, plus Hyatt Gold and SPG Gold. Starwood properties are almost always my last choice.
Good news then! You can keep staying with Marriott properties. And by bringing SPG & its loyals into the fold, Marriott has and will have to keep upping its game benefit-wise, and you'll likely benefit.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 2:47 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
As others have said, it's not worth much, but it's obviously better than nothing. I have gotten one junior suite upgrade this year because of it and I will never say no to extra points.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 4:09 pm
Rd3

Programs: HH Dia, Marriott Titanium, AA Gold, UA Silver
SPG Golds get later checkouts at 4PM, then the top-tier of other programs (looking directly at Hilton) try getting a 4PM check-out even as a HH Diamond--at least that's worth something.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by howsands
. True you get a few extra points, but the marginal value of that to me is peanuts.
50% more points is the same bonus as MR PLTs.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 8:43 pm

Programs: SPG, Marriott, United, SWA, AA
Maybe I have just been lucky, but I have gotten a number of very nice upgrades as a gold. Most recently ( a coupe of weeks ago) a 2 category upgrade at the St Regis Princeville.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 9:08 pm

I feel like every time someone says MR Gold is better than SPG Gold they treat them as if the qualification requirements are the same-the only commonality in qualification is that they're both called gold
Old Sep 24, 2016, 9:43 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
I have also received some nice upgrades as SPG Gold (a few suites), and the guaranteed late check-out and higher point earning is nice as well. Varies quite a bit from property to property, however.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 10:46 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Marriott Plats who matched to SPG Plat got a much better Platinum level, even at the 50 night "tier", compared to MR Plat. No offense to you, but they didn't deserve the 75 level benefits (Your24 and the bonus 4th point).
But Marriott Plats did not match at the 50-night "tier" of SPG Platinum. We matched at the most basic SPG Platinum level. SPG will only provide the additional benefits of the 50-night tier if we actually stay 50 nights at Starwood-legacy properties. The status match does not recognize the minimum of 75 nights to achieve Marriott Platinum in any way.

Meanwhile, all SPG Plats match at the full Marriott Platinum level that normally requires at least 75 Marriott nights -- even those SPG Plats who had just 25 eligible stays or 50 eligible nights in a calendar year.

I've been SPG Gold for a few years. I consider the value of SPG Gold to be substantially inferior to Marriott Gold.

I can see Marriott reaching out to SPG members, but the match mapping significantly favors SPG members.

Of course, all this is temporary. When the programs are actually combined, it's likely that qualification levels will look much more like Marriott Rewards than SPG.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 11:21 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Bonvoy Plat, HHonors Diamond, DL Gold
Marriott Gold should be better than SPG Gold, and it is. If removing the CC and airline (United Airlines) status giveaways and qualification perks for both Marriott and SPG, Marriott takes 50 nights to qualify, while SPG takes the quickest 10 stays or 25 nights.

On average, SPG Gold status members benefited more from the merger status match than Marriott Gold members. Marriott likely feared the loss of Starwood elite members, while they did not fear the loss of Marriott elite members leaving. At the end of the day, many SPG and Marriott elite members have more benefits than before the merger through status match. We have yet to see if there will be a dilution of room upgrades on either side now that there are more members.

If a Marriott Gold member is interested in lounge access at Starwood, the American Express SPG Business card offers lounge access at Sheratons. That won't help for Westins, Le Meridiens, or other brands, but it is an option for current Marriott members interested in SPG lounge access.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 11:37 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Originally Posted by conde
If a Marriott Gold member is interested in lounge access at Starwood, the American Express SPG Business card offers lounge access at Sheratons. That won't help for Westins, Le Meridiens, or other brands, but it is an option for current Marriott members interested in SPG lounge access.
Card only available in the USA of course.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.