Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

At 1 SPG = 3 MR, what are the arbitrage opportunities?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2016, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Now that we know 1 SPG = 3 MR, what are the opportunities when it comes to promotions, redemptions and bonuses?

For example, it seems SPG has a better promotion than MR this quarter for frequent travellers...
Old Sep 23, 2016, 8:34 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA LT Gold, SPG Plat 75
Currently 80k SPG points = 100k AA miles. Now 80k = 240k Marriott.

235k Marriott = 5 nights at a Category 1-5 Marriott + 120k AA miles

Edit: it's actually slightly better for United miles too at 132k miles.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 8:41 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by username
Now that we know 1 SPG = 3 MR, what are the opportunities when it comes to promotions, redemptions and bonuses?

For example, it seems SPG has a better promotion than MR this quarter for frequent travellers...
Well, it appears I was premature in asking the moderators to close the thread http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...fer-ratio.html and instead should have done more research and corrected the posting.

With the information in that thread provided by 3Cforme, it appears that indeed our transfer ratio from SPG:UA MileagePlus has improved.

For example, transferring 8,000 SPG Starpoints to Marriott Rewards results in 24,000 Marriott Rewards points. 24,000 Marriott Rewards points will convert to 10,000 UA MileagePlus miles. Therefore, the effective transfer ratio of SPG:UA in this transfer is 1:1.25 instead of the traditional 2:1.

Transferring 18,667 SPG Starpoints to Marriott Rewards results in 56,001 Marriott Rewards points. 56,000 Marriott Rewards points will convert to 25,000 UA MileagePlus miles. Therefore, the effective transfer ratio of SPG:UA in this transfer is 1:1.34 instead of the traditional 2:1.

Sorry if this appears to be a cross post, but the moderators re-opened the thread above to allow me to post the corrected information.

Last edited by controller1; Sep 23, 2016 at 9:18 am Reason: Note about re-opened thread.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 8:42 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
I kick myself for an SPG to AA transfer during a promotion. Would have gotten free nights on top with Marriot
Old Sep 23, 2016, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by Phasers

now they enforce that 5 night vacation packages are only available to timeshare owners, so its 90k SPG=270k Marriott=7 nights 1-5+132/120
Old Sep 23, 2016, 12:56 pm

So now SPG Amex will give 3 Marriott Points per $ spent on everyday purchase? I think that's huge. Nothing else will give the equivalent value of 3 MR points on a $ on non-bonus category items.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

if they have already cut out SPG timeshare owner transfers, they will certainly pay attention to those with ultra high business spend on amex. SPG sees what is coming in each month from amex.

do not assume anything will not change. and this is all temporary, however long it lasts.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 2:29 pm

Programs: 3.2MM AA, 1.4MM UA,StwdLftPlt
Well said. These folks know about arbitrage and, even if not, bulletin boards will rapidly educate them.

Last edited by luckypierre; Sep 23, 2016 at 2:30 pm Reason: Removed malformed quote
Old Sep 23, 2016, 3:19 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
if they have already cut out SPG timeshare owner transfers, they will certainly pay attention to those with ultra high business spend on amex. SPG sees what is coming in each month from amex.

do not assume anything will not change. and this is all temporary, however long it lasts.
Indeed. That's why I say this is fun while the fun lasts. "Apres moi, le deluge" comes to mind.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 6:49 pm

On the SPG Points I plan to exhaust before 2018, for the FF portion, I think this represents an excellent way to redeem, especially for UA.

Given the 3:1 conversion, I don't even mind Cat 8, 9, or Tiers 1-3 redemptions for places where I'll need to be anyway.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 8:48 pm

Programs: BRK-B
Sadly, I have to go from Marriott to SPG as Marriott does not convert to Thai Airways.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 12:00 am

Programs: AA LTP 2MM, Marriott/SPG Rabid Plat w/Ambassador, HHonors Gold
The other consideration here is how lifetime status will be handled in the combined program. MR Lifetime status currently has a point requirement. Will they just convert over every Starpoint you've ever earned at 3:1 for this calculation in the new program, or will they look at your current balance in each program separately? If the latter, there may be benefits to converting or not converting that need to be taken into account as well.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 1:07 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by blitzen
I kick myself for an SPG to AA transfer during a promotion. Would have gotten free nights on top with Marriot
It is my understanding that the free nights are for timeshare owners only and it is enforced. So we got the same rate we'd get today.

Originally Posted by r415
The other consideration here is how lifetime status will be handled in the combined program. MR Lifetime status currently has a point requirement. Will they just convert over every Starpoint you've ever earned at 3:1 for this calculation in the new program, or will they look at your current balance in each program separately? If the latter, there may be benefits to converting or not converting that need to be taken into account as well.
It can't be current balance, that makes no sense. Imagine someone who earned 1,000,000 Starpoints but used them on airfare and free stays. You're suggesting MR would calculate him at 0? Absurd. Assuming MR keeps the points requirement they will do something as you suggest like total points earned converted at some ratio (3:1 or similar).
Old Sep 24, 2016, 1:12 am

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold

I am no doubt missing something obvious but all I can find is 7 night Cat 1-5 plus 120k but it doesnt mention AA being a transfer partner for a total of 270k MR.

Where am I going wrong?
Old Sep 24, 2016, 4:15 am

Originally Posted by btan887
now they enforce that 5 night vacation packages are only available to timeshare owners, so its 90k SPG=270k Marriott=7 nights 1-5+132/120
I'm new to Marriott (I have SPG) -- currently "Silver" -- could you show me where to find that redemption? So far all I've found is 3:1 MR:AA on the AA website.

Is it travel packages? -- https://www.marriott.com/rewards/usepoints/morepack.mi

Last edited by st.exupery; Sep 24, 2016 at 4:34 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.