Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Marriott/Starwood merger closed; FAQs; Status Match; MR & SPG accounts can be linked

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 22, 2016, 11:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
Deal closed Sep 23 - http://news.marriott.com/2016/09/marriott-international-expanded-loyalty-benefits/

FAQ :
http://members.marriott.com/faq/#will-rewards-and-spg-be-turning-into-one-program

Will Rewards and SPG be turning into one program?
These are two of the best programs in the industry, and we want you to benefit from everything that makes SPG and Rewards great. We don’t anticipate that the two programs will come together before 2018, and we will keep you informed of any updates. In the meantime, there’s no change to how you book reservations, manage your accounts or earn Elite night credits, points and miles in the current programs

Status Matches
MR Platinum <--> SPG Platinum
MR Gold <--> SPG Gold
MR Silver <--> SPG Preferred Plus
MR Member <--> SPG Preferred

If your status changes (i.e. Gold->Plat) in one program, your status in the other program will be automatically upgraded within 24 hours per Marriott FAQ

You can now link your Marriott Rewards or Ritz-Carlton Rewards account with your SPG account.
To link your accounts, log in to either account at:
http://www.spg.com/linkmarriott
http://members.marriott.com/

It will be a 3:1 transfer ratio between MR-SPG

If I have Lifetime Status in one of the programs, will I also get it in the other program when I link my accounts?
This is the Official Answer : "We appreciate your loyalty! Lifetime Status is specific to the program that you earned it in. While linking accounts will not result in Lifetime Status in the other program, your Elite status will be matched to the same Elite tier in the other program. Any existing Lifetime Status you already hold within either program will still be enjoyed within that program. We’re working on more ways to recognize your loyalty and Lifetime Status as we work towards harmonizing the programs, which we don’t anticipate happening until 2018."

Transferring points from SPG to MR does NOT change lifetime MR points.

Transferring points from SPG to MR does NOT count as activity & therefore does not extend the expiration date of points.

SPG platinum member matched to MR plat and now interested in the MR - UA Silver status match ? Check here.

Updated Terms and Conditions for the two programs can be found at
http://members.marriott.com/terms-conditions/
http://www.starwoodhotels.com/preferredguest/legal/spg_terms.html

Complete listing of all the hotel brands in the in the merged company :
http://www.marriott.com/marriott-brands.mi#ourbrands
http://www.marriott.com/Images/Brands/brands_page_2016/global_architecture_images/US_MAR_SPG_brand_architecture.png
Print Wikipost

Marriott/Starwood merger closed; FAQs; Status Match; MR & SPG accounts can be linked

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2017, 2:13 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by controller1
The Chase contract expires in 2018 while the Amex contract expires in 2020.
Originally Posted by uncommonsensical
source?
Marriott's Security Analyst meeting.

"Marriott anticipates a renegotiation of terms for its branded credit cards, which could increase loyalty program contributions and reduce hotels' card-processing costs. The Marriott Rewards Visa through JPMorgan Chase expires in 2018, while the SPG American Express card expires in 2020."

http://www.businesstravelnews.com/Lo...Merger-Updates
Old Jun 7, 2017, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by controller1
Marriott's Security Analyst meeting.

"Marriott anticipates a renegotiation of terms for its branded credit cards, which could increase loyalty program contributions and reduce hotels' card-processing costs. The Marriott Rewards Visa through JPMorgan Chase expires in 2018, while the SPG American Express card expires in 2020."

http://www.businesstravelnews.com/Lo...Merger-Updates
thanks. missed that.

unless Amex was stupid enough to let an acquisition 'out' clause into the Starwood contract, one would think, regardless of Marriott's decision, the SPG Amex would be around until 2020.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 4:04 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Someone mentioned in a different thread that SPG has more luxury properties than Marriott. Turns out in the luxury segment they're pretty close. I was reading a press release from yesterday where they announced expansion plans for Asia Pacific, but mentioned overall #s for the brands. SPG has 194 properties & Marriott 182 properties worldwide in the luxury category.
Starwood had a greater PERCENTAGE of luxury rooms than Marriott. Marriott was much bigger company so #of properties means very little when Marriott had several times more properties than Starwood and a much bigger percentage of non-full service hotels.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 4:18 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Woodsmit
Maybe this has already been covered, but the Marriott FAQ appears to imply they will allow those with lifetime status to transfer into the new program. If they were going to parse SPG plats based on nights etc to match Marriott criteria, I suspect they would use different phrasing but who knows:
There was never any question that lifetime status would be honored and that the nights and points would count towards the new program. What is unknown is what the new program will be and how the old tiers will map to the new tiers.

Starriott Preferred Rewards could have completely different names and criteria for achieving each tier and different benefits for achieving each. Lifetime gold could be Lifetime zinc in Starriott Preferred Rewards. Until there is a new program, we won't know what the new tiers are for lifetime and what the benefits will be.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 4:29 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Gold, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by JK
I'm a little more optimistic. Frankly, just seeing it in writing, that I'll still have Lifetime Status of any variety is a blessing for me. Had fully braced myself to lose it, and have to do another 10 years in any new program...
I expected "MPG" to honor prior LT status. I also expect them to reconfigure the tiers somewhere between what the separate programs offer today, then give the LT status one's cumulative criteria would achieve. For instance, I'm a few nights away from SPG LT Gold, but if you combine my SPG and MR nights and points (using the 1:3 exchange rate) I'm most of the way to MR LT Gold. I expect "MPG Gold" to be somewhere between SPG Gold and more generous MR Gold, and my LT Status to be that new tier.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 4:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
Starwood had a greater PERCENTAGE of luxury rooms than Marriott. Marriott was much bigger company so #of properties means very little when Marriott had several times more properties than Starwood and a much bigger percentage of non-full service hotels.
Who gives two patooties about %s if there aren't properties (luxury or limited service) where you're (generic you're) staying.

FWIW - I've never understood the let's compare a St. Regis to a FFI mindset. Just seems strange to me. People who are looking at luxury aren't going to look at limited-service properties (re: of chain); silly to try & do that comparison. I prefer to compare 'like to like', whether that be luxury, midrange, or less expensive properties (and re: of chain).

SPG was not the size of MAR. Of course the %s were going to be different. That's a no-brainer. That doesn't make SPG superior or MAR inferior - or vice versa.

But when you're comparing "like to like" MAR has basically the same amount of luxury properties as SPG. Which means that it's now doubled & a benefit to both SPG & MAR members.

An advantage for SPG members is, if they do end up in a 2nd tier town that didn't have a SPG property at all, they now have options because MAR probably does have one. But that's totally separate from luxury.

Cheers.

Last edited by SkiAdcock; Jun 7, 2017 at 5:00 pm
Old Jun 8, 2017, 5:06 am
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Who gives two patooties about %s if there aren't properties (luxury or limited service) where you're (generic you're) staying.

FWIW - I've never understood the let's compare a St. Regis to a FFI mindset. Just seems strange to me. People who are looking at luxury aren't going to look at limited-service properties (re: of chain); silly to try & do that comparison. I prefer to compare 'like to like', whether that be luxury, midrange, or less expensive properties (and re: of chain).

SPG was not the size of MAR. Of course the %s were going to be different. That's a no-brainer. That doesn't make SPG superior or MAR inferior - or vice versa.

But when you're comparing "like to like" MAR has basically the same amount of luxury properties as SPG. Which means that it's now doubled & a benefit to both SPG & MAR members.

An advantage for SPG members is, if they do end up in a 2nd tier town that didn't have a SPG property at all, they now have options because MAR probably does have one. But that's totally separate from luxury.

Cheers.
No offence, but if I find myself in a "2nd tier town," then I'm more likely to stay at a Hilton portfolio property than any of Marriott's 4th tier properties. No matter how you try to rationalise it (n.b. luxury properties are doubled, 2nd tier towns, etc.); the merger doesn't represent a win for SPG guests (at all). Just saying.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 6:25 am

Originally Posted by uxb
No offence, but if I find myself in a "2nd tier town," then I'm more likely to stay at a Hilton portfolio property than any of Marriott's 4th tier properties. No matter how you try to rationalise it (n.b. luxury properties are doubled, 2nd tier towns, etc.); the merger doesn't represent a win for SPG guests (at all). Just saying.
I suppose whether one regards the merger as a win for SPG members depends on whether or not one appreciates the ability to earn SPG-redeemable points in more places.

People who have status in multiple programs & would rather stay at (say) a Hilton than a Marriott property do not represent the universe of SPG members.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 6:51 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Originally Posted by uxb
+1. Comparing numbers instead of percentage is ridiculous by itself. Not all of us need to be in Smallville, VA for business. Expanding the programme with 3200 HIX-level properties (with a surprise in the drawer) certainly brings no added value to me.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 7:09 am
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Originally Posted by beltway
I suppose whether one regards the merger as a win for SPG members depends on whether or not one appreciates the ability to earn SPG-redeemable points in more places.

People who have status in multiple programs & would rather stay at (say) a Hilton than a Marriott property do not represent the universe of SPG members.
Earning MPG points in more places may not necessarily be better as rates rise due to lack of competition and the final details of this new programme are fleshed out. We could have another World of Hyatt on our hands. I have zero experience w/ Hyatt, but that would be terrible.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 7:35 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
My original point was that I had heard SPG had so many luxury properties that I thought it was double the # of MAR properties, when actually it's about even. That was all. So combined, SPG/MAR elites who stay at luxury properties have double the luxury options now.

You're not going to find many luxury properties in 2nd tier cities, so again the luxury to limited service comparison doesn't make sense to me. For those who do travel to 2nd tier cities & still want to earn SPG points, if there's a Marriott brand (ie, CY, SHS, FI, AC, RI, etc) there they now that that option. That's all. Some SPG elites only travel to major cities, but others do travel to smaller cities.

And both programs have pros/cons. The big question will be (in about a year) whether they keep the pros of both programs.

Cheers.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 10:10 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Someone mentioned in a different thread that SPG has more luxury properties than Marriott. Turns out in the luxury segment they're pretty close. I was reading a press release from yesterday where they announced expansion plans for Asia Pacific, but mentioned overall #s for the brands. SPG has 194 properties & Marriott 182 properties worldwide in the luxury category.

Ritz Carlton 93
St. Regis 42
W 50
Luxury Collection 102
JW Marriott 82
EDITION 4
Bulgari 3

Cheers.
But Marriott has more total properties, so the luxury ones are a much smaller percentage. To me, that's the relevant metric.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 11:51 am
Suspended

Programs: HH-D; MR-P/LTP; SPG-P
Check your facts:
Total hotels in Asia Pacific
Starwood - 634
Marriott - 324

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
But Marriott has more total properties, so the luxury ones are a much smaller percentage. To me, that's the relevant metric.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 12:01 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
I'm not sure that hurling competing statistics around is going to advance the merger discussion, so perhaps could we leave it there ?
Old Jun 8, 2017, 12:11 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Srisarin
Check your facts:
Total hotels in Asia Pacific
Starwood - 634
Marriott - 324
The numbers given in the post I quoted are worldwide properties for Starwood and Marriott. No one was talking about just Asia here, plus there obviously aren't 50Ws, 42 StRs, and 93 RCs in Asia (yet).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.