Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Marriott/Starwood merger closed; FAQs; Status Match; MR & SPG accounts can be linked

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 22, 2016, 11:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
Deal closed Sep 23 - http://news.marriott.com/2016/09/marriott-international-expanded-loyalty-benefits/

FAQ :
http://members.marriott.com/faq/#will-rewards-and-spg-be-turning-into-one-program

Will Rewards and SPG be turning into one program?
These are two of the best programs in the industry, and we want you to benefit from everything that makes SPG and Rewards great. We don’t anticipate that the two programs will come together before 2018, and we will keep you informed of any updates. In the meantime, there’s no change to how you book reservations, manage your accounts or earn Elite night credits, points and miles in the current programs

Status Matches
MR Platinum <--> SPG Platinum
MR Gold <--> SPG Gold
MR Silver <--> SPG Preferred Plus
MR Member <--> SPG Preferred

If your status changes (i.e. Gold->Plat) in one program, your status in the other program will be automatically upgraded within 24 hours per Marriott FAQ

You can now link your Marriott Rewards or Ritz-Carlton Rewards account with your SPG account.
To link your accounts, log in to either account at:
http://www.spg.com/linkmarriott
http://members.marriott.com/

It will be a 3:1 transfer ratio between MR-SPG

If I have Lifetime Status in one of the programs, will I also get it in the other program when I link my accounts?
This is the Official Answer : "We appreciate your loyalty! Lifetime Status is specific to the program that you earned it in. While linking accounts will not result in Lifetime Status in the other program, your Elite status will be matched to the same Elite tier in the other program. Any existing Lifetime Status you already hold within either program will still be enjoyed within that program. We’re working on more ways to recognize your loyalty and Lifetime Status as we work towards harmonizing the programs, which we don’t anticipate happening until 2018."

Transferring points from SPG to MR does NOT change lifetime MR points.

Transferring points from SPG to MR does NOT count as activity & therefore does not extend the expiration date of points.

SPG platinum member matched to MR plat and now interested in the MR - UA Silver status match ? Check here.

Updated Terms and Conditions for the two programs can be found at
http://members.marriott.com/terms-conditions/
http://www.starwoodhotels.com/preferredguest/legal/spg_terms.html

Complete listing of all the hotel brands in the in the merged company :
http://www.marriott.com/marriott-brands.mi#ourbrands
http://www.marriott.com/Images/Brands/brands_page_2016/global_architecture_images/US_MAR_SPG_brand_architecture.png
Print Wikipost

Marriott/Starwood merger closed; FAQs; Status Match; MR & SPG accounts can be linked

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2017, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by username
I was expecting them to announce the details of the new program by now. If this drags on for another year, I hope they figure out a way to grant / match statuses more correctly - not just by name of the levels and hopefully using the combined night count this year.
Why? They've said 2018 from the beginning, why would you expect them to be announcing ahead of time? I suspect they will announce the details and set a cut-over date in 2019.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 8:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
http://news.marriott.com/2017/03/mar...-investor-day/

Marriott International Maps Future Growth at Investor Day
Growing Global Distribution and Integration of Starwood Expected to Drive Record Cash Flow to Shareholders

Excerpt:

"Marriott International (Nasdaq: MAR) today (March 21st) will unveil the company’s three-year growth plan, which includes opening approximately one hotel every 14 hours around the world, at its meeting with security analysts and institutional investors at the New York Marriott Marquis.

In its presentation, Marriott will outline plans to accelerate its growth, adding 285,000 to 300,000 rooms worldwide by 2019, which could yield a record $675 million in annual stabilized fees from these rooms.

In its three-year growth plan, the company expects to earn $675 million in stabilized fees from hotel rooms added to its system in 2017 through 2019. In addition, non-property related franchise fees, largely credit card branding fees, should increase by $100 million during the three years. The plan assumes, but does not forecast RevPAR (Revenue per Available Room) growth of 1 to 3 percent compounded annually through 2019."

More details in the link above.

Cheers.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by uxb
A slight update here on the topic of LT status. I spoke with my ambassador, and she told me that she and her colleagues have been informed that LT status will be grandfathered in to the successor programme.

How reliable is my ambassador? She's the only reason I continue feeding Starwood my business. Without her due diligence and razor-sharp ability to cut through a given individual property's BS, I would've moved on to Hyatt long ago.

What does this mean for you? If you're still on the bubble, then I strongly advise you to make status now, and not wait for any changes to be announced.
I am currently LT Gold. While grandfathering would be nice, it would be nice if they KEEP a LT program going in the new combined loyalty program whenever they announce it in 2018.
I still have 4 years of achieving PLT to go to achieve LT PLT, so if they drop this LT program in the new program in 2018, but grandfather existing LT's, I will remain a lowly LT Gold :-)

Does anyone know if there is any chance of them retaining LT program when the new loyalty program is announced in 2018..?
Old Mar 24, 2017, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Since Marriott already has a LT program, I'd say there is a 99% chance they will continue to have one. I suspect it will resemble the Marriott program more than the SPG one however.

And if they don't retain the LT program, I'm still right since I did allow for a 1% chance that they wont!
Old Mar 24, 2017, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by margarita girl
Since Marriott already has a LT program, I'd say there is a 99% chance they will continue to have one. I suspect it will resemble the Marriott program more than the SPG one however.

And if they don't retain the LT program, I'm still right since I did allow for a 1% chance that they wont!
+1.^ More than likely, the new program will be a modified version of current Marriott program. They may give it a new name but it will be essentially the Marriott program.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 6:22 pm
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Originally Posted by kgdg
I am currently LT Gold. While grandfathering would be nice, it would be nice if they KEEP a LT program going in the new combined loyalty program whenever they announce it in 2018.
I still have 4 years of achieving PLT to go to achieve LT PLT, so if they drop this LT program in the new program in 2018, but grandfather existing LT's, I will remain a lowly LT Gold :-)

Does anyone know if there is any chance of them retaining LT program when the new loyalty program is announced in 2018..?
I thought I was being clear when I said that we will be grandfathered into the new programme. But, yes, that means we will retain earned LT status in the new programme.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RogerD408
Why? They've said 2018 from the beginning, why would you expect them to be announcing ahead of time? I suspect they will announce the details and set a cut-over date in 2019.
I was thinking to "cut-over" to the new program in 2018, they would need to announce now - things like benefits and qualification criteria.

So, basically you are thinking the same process as I am thinking - just a year later.

If 2019 is the case, I hope they come out with a different way of setting 2018 status.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 7:39 am

Programs: SQ Krisflyer, QR Privilege Club, MB LT Plt (1K+ nights thx MB)
Originally Posted by username
I was thinking to "cut-over" to the new program in 2018, they would need to announce now - things like benefits and qualification criteria.

So, basically you are thinking the same process as I am thinking - just a year later.

If 2019 is the case, I hope they come out with a different way of setting 2018 status.
Yeah I agree this matching possibility, albeit being great in order to experience other brands, has the potential to create somewhat unusual requalification incentives. What I mean by that is that if you looking towards requalify to platinum, you should just prioritize either MR or SPG, i.e. splitting 40 and 40 nights between MR and SPG you would obviously try to avoid. However any reasonable person would think that 80 nights with the facto same hospitality firm would be rewarded at least equally as someone with say 50 nights with SPG. ...Hence a clarification by the powers that be would be greatly appreciated at least by yours truly...Unfortunately I think that we will not hear anything until Q4...
...Just my random thoughts on the subject matter...
Old Mar 27, 2017, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
got my first real benefit thanks to this merger....i linked my accounts a few months ago to get marriott plat....courtesy of that i got ua silver status....

i only fly dl so i thought ua silver would be a complete waste but yesterday i had to take a ua flight at the last minute from mia-ewr....i had to get to ny in a hurry to attend an event & the dl flight wasn't getting me there on time....i bought the cheapest fare a few hours before the flight & was able to pick out an economy plus seat....i was pretty happy with that but at the gate they further upgraded me to first class....all thanks to the fact that i was able to link my accounts....
Old Mar 27, 2017, 4:01 pm
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Originally Posted by Keyser
got my first real benefit thanks to this merger....i linked my accounts a few months ago to get marriott plat....courtesy of that i got ua silver status....

i only fly dl so i thought ua silver would be a complete waste but yesterday i had to take a ua flight at the last minute from mia-ewr....i had to get to ny in a hurry to attend an event & the dl flight wasn't getting me there on time....i bought the cheapest fare a few hours before the flight & was able to pick out an economy plus seat....i was pretty happy with that but at the gate they further upgraded me to first class....all thanks to the fact that i was able to link my accounts....
They upgraded me on an award ticket between BUR and SFO.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 8:25 am

A thread in the Marriott forum that Marriott might be interested in acquiring a regional brand (Australia/New Zealand) that's up for sale. If they do that, would expand options for both SPG/Marriott members.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...-takeover.html

Cheers.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by X-ON
Yeah I agree this matching possibility, albeit being great in order to experience other brands, has the potential to create somewhat unusual requalification incentives. What I mean by that is that if you looking towards requalify to platinum, you should just prioritize either MR or SPG, i.e. splitting 40 and 40 nights between MR and SPG you would obviously try to avoid. However any reasonable person would think that 80 nights with the facto same hospitality firm would be rewarded at least equally as someone with say 50 nights with SPG. ...Hence a clarification by the powers that be would be greatly appreciated at least by yours truly...Unfortunately I think that we will not hear anything until Q4...
...Just my random thoughts on the subject matter...
Exactly. Your randoms thoughts are really good
Old Mar 29, 2017, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

LT is irrelevant, they can delete every benefit

what are ambassadors hearing about their jobs?
mckinsey.com/business-functions/operations/our-insights/redefining-service-innovation-at-starwood
Ambassadors are specially trained associates in our contact centers

The program also benefits our contact-center employees. One thing we had struggled with before was the “pyramid effect”: if you were talented on the phones and wanted to progress, you pretty much had to become your supervisor. Now, we have new opportunities for these employees. We’ve even created paths from the ambassador program to sales roles in our various properties—something that didn’t exist five years ago. As a result of all this, turnover in our contact centers went down and employee satisfaction went up.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Mar 29, 2017 at 3:34 pm
Old Mar 29, 2017, 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
what are ambassadors hearing about their jobs?
mckinsey.com/business-functions/operations/our-insights/redefining-service-innovation-at-starwood
I'm not sure quoting a 2 year old article is relevant to what are Ambassadors currently hearing about their jobs. Just as Marriott could delete the LT program (unlikely), they could also delete Ambassadors (unlikely).

Cheers.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by uxb
I thought I was being clear when I said that we will be grandfathered into the new programme. But, yes, that means we will retain earned LT status in the new programme.
uxb, i meant I am hoping they keep the LT program similar to the one they have currently in place after the merger, that will give me time to graduate to LT Platinum from LT Gold. I understand that I will retain LT Gold, but if there is no more a way to attain LT PLT in the post-merger program, I will have to remain grandfathered LT Gold...

If Marriot has/had LT program, they would hopefully keep some sort of LT program going forward, does anybody know what the Marriot LT program criteria was?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.