Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Marriott/Starwood merger closed; FAQs; Status Match; MR & SPG accounts can be linked

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 22, 2016, 11:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
Deal closed Sep 23 - http://news.marriott.com/2016/09/marriott-international-expanded-loyalty-benefits/

FAQ :
http://members.marriott.com/faq/#will-rewards-and-spg-be-turning-into-one-program

Will Rewards and SPG be turning into one program?
These are two of the best programs in the industry, and we want you to benefit from everything that makes SPG and Rewards great. We don’t anticipate that the two programs will come together before 2018, and we will keep you informed of any updates. In the meantime, there’s no change to how you book reservations, manage your accounts or earn Elite night credits, points and miles in the current programs

Status Matches
MR Platinum <--> SPG Platinum
MR Gold <--> SPG Gold
MR Silver <--> SPG Preferred Plus
MR Member <--> SPG Preferred

If your status changes (i.e. Gold->Plat) in one program, your status in the other program will be automatically upgraded within 24 hours per Marriott FAQ

You can now link your Marriott Rewards or Ritz-Carlton Rewards account with your SPG account.
To link your accounts, log in to either account at:
http://www.spg.com/linkmarriott
http://members.marriott.com/

It will be a 3:1 transfer ratio between MR-SPG

If I have Lifetime Status in one of the programs, will I also get it in the other program when I link my accounts?
This is the Official Answer : "We appreciate your loyalty! Lifetime Status is specific to the program that you earned it in. While linking accounts will not result in Lifetime Status in the other program, your Elite status will be matched to the same Elite tier in the other program. Any existing Lifetime Status you already hold within either program will still be enjoyed within that program. We’re working on more ways to recognize your loyalty and Lifetime Status as we work towards harmonizing the programs, which we don’t anticipate happening until 2018."

Transferring points from SPG to MR does NOT change lifetime MR points.

Transferring points from SPG to MR does NOT count as activity & therefore does not extend the expiration date of points.

SPG platinum member matched to MR plat and now interested in the MR - UA Silver status match ? Check here.

Updated Terms and Conditions for the two programs can be found at
http://members.marriott.com/terms-conditions/
http://www.starwoodhotels.com/preferredguest/legal/spg_terms.html

Complete listing of all the hotel brands in the in the merged company :
http://www.marriott.com/marriott-brands.mi#ourbrands
http://www.marriott.com/Images/Brands/brands_page_2016/global_architecture_images/US_MAR_SPG_brand_architecture.png
Print Wikipost

Marriott/Starwood merger closed; FAQs; Status Match; MR & SPG accounts can be linked

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2016, 4:12 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
Change your earnings profile to what?
Miles instead of hotel I guess. No idea.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 4:31 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Interesting article about the close of the merger: https://skift.com/2016/09/23/ceo-int...et-on-loyalty/
Old Sep 23, 2016, 4:58 am

Does anyone know if a status upgrade in SPG would upgrade the status in Marriott? Would it be better if I wait until I reach SPG Plat to get MR Plat?
Old Sep 23, 2016, 5:01 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by sagi_
Does anyone know if a status upgrade in SPG would upgrade the status in Marriott? Would it be better if I wait until I reach SPG Plat to get MR Plat?
It will upgrade when the new status is achieved. It's covered in the T&C of the linking process.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 5:13 am
kkl

Do we need to choose between Marriot and RC? If so, can Marriot redeem RC awards? Or each program is seperate and we have to choose
Old Sep 23, 2016, 5:15 am
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
I disagree. So far they have been quick and good. And there faqs state (bold emphasis mine):

"Q: I have attained Lifetime status in one of the loyalty programs already. Will that be recognized in the Status Match to the other program?
A: Don’t worry; you’ll continue to enjoy all the benefits of Lifetime status in the program in which you earned it. We are initially matching your tier status between programs, and when the programs are combined in the future, we’ll consider ways that preserve the continued recognition of our most valued lifetime customers."

That doesn't sound like they are going to knock everyone to zero. That would be ludicrous. Imagine wiping away all their best customer to zero. LOL, cmon. As for what will happen - it is possible they will institute a level higher than what was allowed under Starwood (perhaps 750 nights will be required for LTP in the new program). And it was only 500 in SPG. Perhaps there will be a new requirement level (maybe it'll be 1,000 in the new program). It is of course possible they go the Hilton route and remove LTP altogether - but that is quite different than starting again at zero.
"We'll consider ways" is the same way US Airways approached changes to AAdvantage. As 2016 has shown, those changes were all in the form of "enhancements."

Originally Posted by JK
I fully appreciate your perspective. But I hope you're wrong! (As i'm sure you do!)

Nonetheless, time will tell... I'm carrying on business as usual, as I have done since this all broke anyway... I'll find my way in this brave new world and make the best of it.
I sure hope I'm wrong also, but I am a realist. Marriott overpaid and Arne is a lying sack of manure if he maintains that he's not gonna let SPG's best customers take it on the chin. Also, I am not saying for anyone to stop going for Lifetime status at SPG. I am merely saying to not be surprised if they wake up on 1 January 2018 (or 1 March 2018) with no lifetime status at all.

Originally Posted by Keyser
managed to link my account through the spg link....
There's an SPG link now?
Old Sep 23, 2016, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by helvetic
Sad that us SPG Plat elites who earned it the hard way now have to compete for upgrades with a bunch of people who just spent $75k on a credit card. Doesn't seem fair.
I doubt there were that many folks who were spending $75K on the Marriott card who weren't already Marriott Plats
Old Sep 23, 2016, 5:42 am

100 USD=200 SPG points or 1000 MR Points
Ratio 1:3 = 200 SPG points - only 600 MR Points

Good ratio? No!!
Old Sep 23, 2016, 5:56 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum / Titanium, AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by Boooma

Good ratio? No!!
Well, taking the whole program into consideration, it is much more complex. SPG's earning rate for non-elite is not as strong, but the highest SPG level gives you 2x the earning (4pts/$) while Marriott is 1.5x the earning (15pts/$). Also, the SPG Amex earns 1 SPG per dollar for regular spend, while the Marriot card earns 1 Marriott point per dollar for regular spend.

The Points Guy values SPG at 2.5 cents and Marriott at 0.7 cents, which is not a precise science, but a pretty good valuation, making the 1:3 conversion about as fair as I could have expected. I did not think they would go 1:4, and was worried they would go 1:2. Given they are allowing you to transfer points back and forth without fee and without limit, clearly they see it as about equal.

Now may be one of the best times - no benefits are lost and they are only expanded. We don't know what is around the corner.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 6:00 am
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Originally Posted by Boooma

Good ratio? No!!
If you're a base member, then no. However, if you are PLT, then 200 + 100/200 = 300/400 *pts or 900/1200 MR points. And that doesn't even take into account PLT Amenity or any of the other options (n.b. green choice, BRG bonus, etc.). Conversion ratio is not something I'm complaining about. The fact that Marriott is running the show is what I'm most concerned about.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 6:10 am

Programs: Delta Flyer
Originally Posted by controller1
It will upgrade when the new status is achieved. It's covered in the T&C of the linking process.
I did not see it in the FAQs, but here is the language from the T&C
http://members.marriott.com/terms-conditions/

"Timing of Status Matching. Updated elite membership status will become effective (i) immediately after Program accounts are linked or (ii) within 24 hours after a new elite membership status in one of the Programs (whether an increase in status or a decrease in status) is reflected in his or her Rewards Program member account or SPG Program member account."
Old Sep 23, 2016, 6:14 am

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
I'm satisfied with the 3:1 conversion ratio given points prices in each program. However, I have always considered *wood miserly for giving only 2 base pp$ for Butt In Bed (BIB.)

Indeed it will be a jackpot if the Cat. 7 (and even 6) *wood hotels become Marriott Cat. 9 ! But even
if *wood 7 becomes Ritz Tier 5, it's still a lowering of the presently insane price of 35K *points!
Old Sep 23, 2016, 6:16 am

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
From the T&Cs:
Starpoints earned through an interest in a Vistana™ Signature Experiences property, and Rewards Points earned through an interest in a Marriott Vacation ClubŪ property cannot be transferred between the Programs. . .
Member Account Activity. Transferring points between Programs (i) will constitute activity for purposes of remaining active in the SPG Program, and (ii) will not count as qualified activity for purposes of keeping your points active in the Rewards Program.

Also, transfers are available only in 1000-point increments !
Old Sep 23, 2016, 6:22 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Deal closed.

Speculation continues on FT.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 6:25 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by yosithezet
Miles instead of hotel I guess. No idea.
Won't be that as I have the status and have never had miles as my earnings option with more than 25+ years as a member.

Maybe they mean the system has to show your account as earning within the Marriott program rather than the RC program? While both are really the same programs, they do have different front-end "marketing" differences. Maybe the United offer is for the Marriott "marketing" side and not the RC side.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.