Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Marriott/Starwood merger closed; FAQs; Status Match; MR & SPG accounts can be linked

Old Sep 22, 2016, 11:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
Deal closed Sep 23 - http://news.marriott.com/2016/09/marriott-international-expanded-loyalty-benefits/

FAQ :
http://members.marriott.com/faq/#will-rewards-and-spg-be-turning-into-one-program

Will Rewards and SPG be turning into one program?
These are two of the best programs in the industry, and we want you to benefit from everything that makes SPG and Rewards great. We don’t anticipate that the two programs will come together before 2018, and we will keep you informed of any updates. In the meantime, there’s no change to how you book reservations, manage your accounts or earn Elite night credits, points and miles in the current programs

Status Matches
MR Platinum <--> SPG Platinum
MR Gold <--> SPG Gold
MR Silver <--> SPG Preferred Plus
MR Member <--> SPG Preferred

If your status changes (i.e. Gold->Plat) in one program, your status in the other program will be automatically upgraded within 24 hours per Marriott FAQ

You can now link your Marriott Rewards or Ritz-Carlton Rewards account with your SPG account.
To link your accounts, log in to either account at:
http://www.spg.com/linkmarriott
http://members.marriott.com/

It will be a 3:1 transfer ratio between MR-SPG

If I have Lifetime Status in one of the programs, will I also get it in the other program when I link my accounts?
This is the Official Answer : "We appreciate your loyalty! Lifetime Status is specific to the program that you earned it in. While linking accounts will not result in Lifetime Status in the other program, your Elite status will be matched to the same Elite tier in the other program. Any existing Lifetime Status you already hold within either program will still be enjoyed within that program. We’re working on more ways to recognize your loyalty and Lifetime Status as we work towards harmonizing the programs, which we don’t anticipate happening until 2018."

Transferring points from SPG to MR does NOT change lifetime MR points.

Transferring points from SPG to MR does NOT count as activity & therefore does not extend the expiration date of points.

SPG platinum member matched to MR plat and now interested in the MR - UA Silver status match ? Check here.

Updated Terms and Conditions for the two programs can be found at
http://members.marriott.com/terms-conditions/
http://www.starwoodhotels.com/preferredguest/legal/spg_terms.html

Complete listing of all the hotel brands in the in the merged company :
http://www.marriott.com/marriott-brands.mi#ourbrands
http://www.marriott.com/Images/Brands/brands_page_2016/global_architecture_images/US_MAR_SPG_brand_architecture.png
Print Wikipost

Marriott/Starwood merger closed; FAQs; Status Match; MR & SPG accounts can be linked

Old Sep 23, 2016, 2:13 am
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Originally Posted by JK
I'm not so sure... I kind of get the sense a NEW program will be created in 2018 (let's call it MPG)... And as a result of MPG, everyone, in all 3 current programs will lose any LT benefits... Perhaps a fast-track for ex-LT's to the same new MPG LT status, but as a rule - everyone gets knocked back down.

So on the positive side, I don't think it will be only SPG who get knifed... But on the negative side, it will be everyone.

I am hoping, however, that the resultant backlash from their most loyal core would prevent them doing anything so foolish. Everyone seems as though they are pleasantly surprised so far... Let's hope the same applies into 2018.
If you believe this, then I've got a bridge to sell you. The whole point of a honeymoon period is to lull people into complacency before the knives come out, and they gut everything to shreds. There may very well be a new programme on the horizon, but LT SPG members will be at the bottom of the pecking order. From what I understand, there aren't nearly as many LT SPG members, so who knows for certain. Regardless, the language indicates we will be defenestrated.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 2:16 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by Football Fan
I'm just wondering if there is a possibility that one could shoot oneself in the foot by matching. E.g., I'm an SPG Lifetime Plat, but barely have any activity in my Marriott account (am also Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Diamond, LHW Unlimited, IC RA/Spire, so haven't had time for Marriott ). If I link the accounts and they see that the combined activity is not above the 750 nights for Marriott Lifetime Plat, perhaps they will let the SPG Lifetime Plat die with the end of SPG?
I can't imagine that you linking will be the cause of that. Either you will qualify for LTP based on their criteria in 2018 or you will not. They will come up with said criteria over the next 18 months.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 2:21 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by uxb
If you believe this, then I've got a bridge to sell you. The whole point of a honeymoon period is to lull people into complacency before the knives come out, and they gut everything to shreds. There may very well be a new programme on the horizon, but LT SPG members will be at the bottom of the pecking order. From what I understand, there aren't nearly as many LT SPG members, so who knows for certain. Regardless, the language indicates we will be defenestrated.
I disagree. So far they have been quick and good. And there faqs state (bold emphasis mine):

"Q: I have attained Lifetime status in one of the loyalty programs already. Will that be recognized in the Status Match to the other program?
A: Don’t worry; you’ll continue to enjoy all the benefits of Lifetime status in the program in which you earned it. We are initially matching your tier status between programs, and when the programs are combined in the future, we’ll consider ways that preserve the continued recognition of our most valued lifetime customers."

That doesn't sound like they are going to knock everyone to zero. That would be ludicrous. Imagine wiping away all their best customer to zero. LOL, cmon. As for what will happen - it is possible they will institute a level higher than what was allowed under Starwood (perhaps 750 nights will be required for LTP in the new program). And it was only 500 in SPG. Perhaps there will be a new requirement level (maybe it'll be 1,000 in the new program). It is of course possible they go the Hilton route and remove LTP altogether - but that is quite different than starting again at zero.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 2:21 am
JK
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold / OnBusiness, SPG Lifetime Plat 100, AmEx Centurion & BAPP, Superking Westin Heavenly Bed :)
Originally Posted by uxb
I fully appreciate your perspective. But I hope you're wrong! (As i'm sure you do!)

Nonetheless, time will tell... I'm carrying on business as usual, as I have done since this all broke anyway... I'll find my way in this brave new world and make the best of it.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 2:23 am

Programs: AA Plt 3MM; UA 1K 2 MM; MR Lifetime Plat; HH Lifetime Diamond; HH Diamond; IGH Spire Ambas; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by moral_low_ground
Maybe there will be more upgrade opportunities as those SPG Plats who had little status at Marriott try out a room with them now that they are Plat with Marriott too.
As a Marriott lifetime platinum, I have no idea why an SPG platinum would want to try out a Marriott if there is an SPG property available.

Most likely they will get the least possible upgrade (meaning better view, no parking lot outside the window), and if an FS resort--complimentary breakfast is not on the menu.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 2:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
linked accounts....that was easy....
Old Sep 23, 2016, 2:25 am

Originally Posted by travelexpert
As a Marriott lifetime platinum, I have no idea why an SPG platinum would want to try out a Marriott if there is an SPG property available.

Most likely they will get the least possible upgrade (meaning better view, no parking lot outside the window), and if an FS resort--complimentary breakfast is not on the menu.
We won't. But Marriott exists in many places where Starwood doesn't - and that's where we will use Marriott ^
Old Sep 23, 2016, 2:27 am

I read the FAQ but I don't seem to have an answer.. Do I need 50 nights/ 25 stays on SPG stays to requalify SPG Plat next year or do I just need a combined 50 nights/ 25 stays on both sides to requalify SPG Plat?
Old Sep 23, 2016, 2:28 am

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
I can't imagine that you linking will be the cause of that. Either you will qualify for LTP based on their criteria in 2018 or you will not. They will come up with said criteria over the next 18 months.
You are probably right.

The other consideration I had was that they might use the data they get from linked Lifetime accounts to base their decision on how to treat the Lifetime accounts of the other program. E.g., if they learn from the data that of all SPG Lifetime Platinum members who get matched to Marriott Platinum, during the year they have the status, 95 % barely stay at Marriott hotels, then they might decide that it's "just not worth it" to match the Lifetime status.

But I'm speculating, of course.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 2:31 am

Originally Posted by Central90210
I read the FAQ but I don't seem to have an answer.. Do I need 50 nights/ 25 stays on SPG stays to requalify SPG Plat next year or do I just need a combined 50 nights/ 25 stays on both sides to requalify SPG Plat?
You need 50/25 in SPG to qualify for Plat with SPG. You need 75 nights in Marriott to qualify for Marriott Plat. The programs are not combined in that way, yet.

Originally Posted by Football Fan
You are probably right.

The other consideration I had was that they might use the data they get from linked Lifetime accounts to base their decision on how to treat the Lifetime accounts of the other program. E.g., if they learn from the data that of all SPG Lifetime Platinum members who get matched to Marriott Platinum, during the year they have the status, 95 % barely stay at Marriott hotels, then they might decide that it's "just not worth it" to match the Lifetime status.

But I'm speculating, of course.
They already have the data, they own Starwood now remember? Linking is for your convenience, not theirs.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 2:37 am

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
They already have the data, they own Starwood now remember? Linking is for your convenience, not theirs.
Thought they might not always know it's the same person, but I guess if they match addresses and e-mail addresses, etc., then they can figure that out, too.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 2:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by uxb
Go back to the main page. Click on SPG, and your status. Then go all the way to the bottom of that page. Click the "Link Account" button there, and you should be taken to the link page.
managed to link my account through the spg link....
Old Sep 23, 2016, 3:10 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I have some relatives with insanely huge Marriott point balances but few to no SPG points. This conversion will be fun while the fun lasts. Especially as SPG options exist in plenty of places where Marriott properties are not to be found or found so conveniently.

You need 50/25 in SPG to qualify for Plat with SPG. You need 75 nights in Marriott to qualify for Marriott Plat. The programs are not combined in that way, yet.

The linking is for the convenience of both parties. Data migration outcomes are more robust when customers reduce the pool of accounts that can be messed up in the course of an automated data migration effort. And data analysis is better when dealing with a more accurately combined data set than when dealing with a less accurately combined data set.

Last edited by GUWonder; Sep 23, 2016 at 3:22 am
Old Sep 23, 2016, 3:50 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Linked my account to find that apparently I also had a Ritz Carlton account and it had stolen my email from my Marriott Rewards account. So my Marriott Rewards account couldn't log with my email, only my MR#. It showed the proper status for my MR account immediately. A few calls to the call center that didn't go so well. Still haven't been able to link to RewardsPlus to get my United status because the email is now considered too new. The rep said I have to change my earnings profile to get the United status?
Old Sep 23, 2016, 4:12 am

Originally Posted by yosithezet
Linked my account to find that apparently I also had a Ritz Carlton account and it had stolen my email from my Marriott Rewards account. So my Marriott Rewards account couldn't log with my email, only my MR#. It showed the proper status for my MR account immediately. A few calls to the call center that didn't go so well. Still haven't been able to link to RewardsPlus to get my United status because the email is now considered too new. The rep said I have to change my earnings profile to get the United status?
Change your earnings profile to what?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.