Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

SPG App showed nice room upgrade - downgraded at Check-In

SPG App showed nice room upgrade - downgraded at Check-In

Old Sep 22, 2016, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Please don't speculate when you don't know the SPG program.

SNA upgrades are confirmed in advance.
I can't find any reference to OP using an SNA. If he/she had, they would have received an email confirming the upgrade. OP just happened to notice a room upgrade when checking the app which went away when suite was reassigned to what was presumably a paying customer.

I think the rudeness to Sharon was uncalled for.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 9:38 pm

Programs: AA LTP 2MM, Marriott/SPG Rabid Plat w/Ambassador, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by travelswithmyself
I would say this is would be dependent on hotel policy, and how much they prioritise income and Plat treatment.

Even if you pay for a suite, the Plat coming later could already have one pre-assigned and your suite just happens to be unoccupied. Or you could be taking it from the Plat. Each hotel will have it's own criteria and priorities for doing what it does with unoccupied rooms. How it deals with them might even change day to day.

The T&C give a guideline of "at checkin". Hotel's don't follow that even now, I doubt they'll follow a cut-off time. Even airlines don't. I've seen passengers upgraded just after the doors are shut...
Exactly. Also, there are many reasons an upgrade might get pulled at last minute. For example, rooms have broken A/C, insect infestations, and evidence of crimes (do some searching on these forums if you don't believe me) all the time. If someone paying for a suite needs to be relocated, and there's nothing else available (they did say the hotel was sold out) it kind of makes sense to pull the nonguaranteed upgrade.

Now, if it had been confirmed with an SNA, that's another matter entirely.

Also, I agree with the point that learning about a 'pre-upgrade' through the app is not exactly the hotel flaunting the upgrade. To see this, you really have to navigate to a tab on the reservation that you have to go hunting for, it's not like the property is flashing in your face. There's really no reason to ever go to this tab if you're not seeing if you might've gotten 'pre-upgraded', and if you'd rather not know until it's confirmed, just don't look. Some of us would rather know, even though it's not guaranteed at that point in time.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 11:25 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
Funny... I've never even noticed that feature in the app. Lol. Then again I usually book same day. I find that impacts my upgrades negatively because the system doesn't "pick me up."
Old Sep 23, 2016, 7:20 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Yeah, if you go into the reservation details and look at room type you will see if they prepared an upgrade for you during the normal overnight prep work. I've certainly seen upgrades and then show up and gotten what I've booked. Sadly a few months ago I saw a preupgrade to the Presidential Suite, but I had to cancel the reservation. Bummer.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Please don't speculate when you don't know the SPG program.

SNA upgrades are confirmed in advance.
And they have also "disappeared" before, as postulated.

margarita girl +1

Last edited by CPRich; Sep 23, 2016 at 8:11 am
Old Sep 23, 2016, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
+1. IME a printout can exert considerable emotional leverage at checkin.
Translation: Waahhhh! DKNWIA??? I don't care what the programs rules say, I want it, I want it, I want it. Waaaahhhhh!
Old Sep 23, 2016, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by r415
Now, if it had been confirmed with an SNA, that's another matter entirely.
I suspect that if you lost the last upgraded room available because it was being treated as a crime scene, and went with "but I have a confirmed SNA", not much is going to change.

But if you're OK living with insects, maybe they'd let you.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 8:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, WOH Globalist, Marriott LT Titanium, MSC Dia, Nespresso Club, ZTL Queen in Italy
Originally Posted by margarita girl
I can't find any reference to OP using an SNA. If he/she had, they would have received an email confirming the upgrade. OP just happened to notice a room upgrade when checking the app which went away when suite was reassigned to what was presumably a paying customer.
Per post #1, I did not use any SNA's to this stay. :-:
Old Sep 23, 2016, 10:19 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
I often check the reservation on the app to see if they've already assigned me an upgraded room. I've seen the upgraded room type change in the hours before check in also to a lesser category. I just take it as an indication that somebody at the hotel is looking out for me and trying to secure me the best possible room based on availability so the FD agent doesn't have to use their discretion and go searching for an upgraded room. But I also understand the conditions of being an SPG Platinum and if I end up getting the room I paid for then I would accept that there was nothing better available.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Someone in the their infinite wisdom decided it would be good to tie the system the property uses to manage their rooms with the app/website. So when the property chooses to pre-block someone into a particular room that data comes available in the app/website. If an event comes up where they are not able to deliver that room, the guest loses out.

Over the years I've learned to not even count on what I am told at the front desk when checking in. I suspect many FDCs have never been in one of their rooms and to believe their claim "this is a great room" may not be true. I was once told the room was a single king bed, when I got to the room it was two queens. The FDC even tried to deny my claim as I stood between the two beds! The screen is not always correct, be it at the front desk, your PC, or your cellphone.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 9:47 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
It's a disappointing experience, but completely fair/allowed by program rules. I do find it interesting, however, that I have seen pre-upgrades for some hotels but not others...maybe the systems are a bit different by property/brand?
Old Sep 24, 2016, 9:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by svo242
It's a disappointing experience, but completely fair/allowed by program rules. I do find it interesting, however, that I have seen pre-upgrades for some hotels but not others...maybe the systems are a bit different by property/brand?
Some hotels routinely preassign rooms while other properties do not do this and instead assign rooms when the guest appears at the front desk to check in.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by svo242
Some hotels routinely preassign rooms while other properties do not do this and instead assign rooms when the guest appears at the front desk to check in.

Or you (svo242) may not be on the hotel's internal VVIP list, thus not warranting the pre-upgrade, which is why you don't see it .
Old Sep 24, 2016, 11:06 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by travelswithmyself
Or you (svo242) may not be on the hotel's internal VVIP list, thus not warranting the pre-upgrade, which is why you don't see it .
All possible, but I remember for this stay that I asked for an upgrade at check-in, assuming we had a standard room, and the agent said "Well you're already in our studio suite which is one of our best rooms." And they had connecting rooms as requested, so everything was set before arrival although nothing showed up in the app.

I also once had an odd tech snafu where 2 rooms showed as upgraded to suites, then one of the rooms was shown was a standard room again on the app, and then when we checked-in, both rooms were still suites!

Last edited by svo242; Sep 25, 2016 at 12:09 am
Old Sep 25, 2016, 3:00 am

Frankly, SPG should probably just de-link the advance room type assignment from the app and continue to show the category booked, just to avoid the inevitable whining that it generates. Then none of this would happen.

Mind you, all this is going to be a moot point pretty soon! Looking forward to Marriott's generous upgrade policy... NOT.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.