Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

SPG App showed nice room upgrade - downgraded at Check-In

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SPG App showed nice room upgrade - downgraded at Check-In

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2016, 10:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
I'm going to defend William (and most hotel chains) on this one. It sucks, but upgrades are based upon availability - and that usually means at check-in (which is spelled out in hotel chains' T&Cs). A lot of times we all get upgraded in advance, but if they have someone who's actually willing to pay for the upgrade vs. wanting a freebie, I don't blame some properties for going for the paid upgrade & dropping the free upgrade.

Note I say this when it comes to regular upgrades (aka, not secured in advance through a guaranteed upgrade cert, points taken out, etc). Not sure how the properties handle secured upgrades, but even then if it came to paid vs. trying to make it right w/ other bennies or extra points deposited in one's account, it wouldn't surprise me if the property went for hard cash.

We had a similar experience on the Marriott forum at a Cat 9. Elite was assigned a suite upgrade in advance but was downgraded to a superior room at check-in. The reason was that a NFL team was in town, had booked all the suites (in addition to regular rooms), & extended their stay by a night, thus bumping the elite. The property did offer to make it up to the elite on a future stay, but hard cold cash trumped the free upgrade on that one.

Cheers.
Please don't speculate when you don't know the SPG program.

SNA upgrades are confirmed in advance.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 1:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by tjk1976
Personally, I would sooner not know than receive a message that effectively says "here's the upgrade that we might not give you."
Or, if you're a glass-half-full kind of person, "Here's the upgrade we're hoping to be able to give you!"
Old Sep 21, 2016, 2:28 am

it depends what time you check in too.

some suites may still be occupied by elites and if they check out 4pm, you may not get the upgrade until the room is ready.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 3:19 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by travelista
This has never happened to me before, and was curious if that's "how it is"?
Yes, it's not just you : this 'I saw an advance upgrade online then I was un-upgraded at checkin' situation has been reported frequently in the past on the forum.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 6:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, WOH Globalist, Marriott LT Titanium, MSC Dia, Nespresso Club, ZTL Queen in Italy
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
Yes, it's not just you : this 'I saw an advance upgrade online then I was un-upgraded at checkin' situation has been reported frequently in the past on the forum.
Thanks Oxon Flyer... i did a Forum Search, but couldn't find anything. (I figured i would get tapped for starting another another thread.; but I really tried.)
Old Sep 21, 2016, 8:10 am

Sorry, but what is the point of indicating an upgrade in the app if there is only a possibility that the guest will actually receive it? It sounds like that needs some refining.
Aside from the Lurker's response, I would say the point is because getting downgraded at check-in rarely happens, at least in my experience. I've been pre-upgraded at least a hundred times, and not once was it not honoured.

Cheers,
Old Sep 21, 2016, 8:13 am

Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
I disagree with your characterization of it being "frequently". These threads would be much more massively populated with complaints if it happened "frequently".

Cheers,
Old Sep 21, 2016, 8:31 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by Flews
I disagree with your characterization of it being "frequently". These threads would be much more massively populated with complaints if it happened "frequently"
Now you mention it, there used to be more, but you're right that in recent months there have been hardly any reports.

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Wasn't so useless the couple times this happened to me, when I showed them the screen shot and they ultimately put me in an equal or better room
+1. IME a printout can exert considerable emotional leverage at checkin.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 1:03 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Please don't speculate when you don't know the SPG program.

SNA upgrades are confirmed in advance.
And if you had read my post you would have noted I said regular upgrades & not pre-secured upgrades

"Note I say this when it comes to regular upgrades (aka, not secured in advance through a guaranteed upgrade cert, points taken out, etc)"

If one is going to be patronizing, one should at least get it right

Cheers.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 1:41 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Plat (earned as Starwood), Canadian Amex Plat & resulting statuses, WestJet Silver
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Or, if you're a glass-half-full kind of person, "Here's the upgrade we're hoping to be able to give you!"
You'd actually need to be a glass-maybe-half-full kind of person to appreciate receiving a message telling you about an upgrade that you might get. Being informed of unconfirmed upgrades is pointless in my opinion. I know I'm already eligible for an upgrade, teasing me with one that isn't even confirmed just does nothing for me.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 3:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
they tried to preblock you, but something may have happened, as mentioned
Like somebody slipped a $20 across the counter and the upgrade "disappeared". Has happened to me a few times and the general attitude when I ask about it at check in is that they have no idea what I'm talking about.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 8:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by travelista
Earlier this morning, the SPG app showed that I was upgraded to a 2-room suite.

I figured that would be a very nice way to ring in the Starwood-Marriott merger... but nope. Apparently i was downgraded to a traditional guest room at check-in 20min ago.

They did have a nice welcome bag with some candies, bottle of cold water, and a welcome note in the room. When I called the front desk, they stated that they're sold out tonight. And "sorry".

This has never happened to me before, and was curious if that's "how it is"?

BTW - I did not apply any SNA's to this 2-night stay, as it's a work trip. So was just looking for the normal Platinum upgrade.
You'd actually need to be a glass-maybe-half-full kind of person to appreciate receiving a message telling you about an upgrade that you might get. Being informed of unconfirmed upgrades is pointless in my opinion. I know I'm already eligible for an upgrade, teasing me with one that isn't even confirmed just does nothing for me.
Question? Did you just see the room assignment only on the app, or were you actually sent a message?
Old Sep 21, 2016, 9:05 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Plat (earned as Starwood), Canadian Amex Plat & resulting statuses, WestJet Silver
Originally Posted by KENNECTED
Question? Did you just see the room assignment only on the app, or were you actually sent a message?
You're talking about semantics in my opinion. I wasn't the OP, but as far as I'm comcerned, seeing something on the app is tantamount to receiving an email, a text, or a message via carrier pigeon. The method by which the message is relayed (in this case, that you have an unconfirmed upgrade) isn't really the point.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 11:06 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Personally, I like to be able to see my tentative room type assignment on the Starwood app or website in advance even though I realize that these pre-upgrades aren't commitments.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 6:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, WOH Globalist, Marriott LT Titanium, MSC Dia, Nespresso Club, ZTL Queen in Italy
Originally Posted by KENNECTED
I saw it on the app, only the morning of arrival. (I check the app for upgrades frequently.)
No message was sent.
And check-in was around 4pm.

Oh well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.