Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Can I simultaneously stay at two hotels at once?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can I simultaneously stay at two hotels at once?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2016, 6:12 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by d'Yquem
Is there a reason you made this personal? I suggest if you have nothing positive to add to the debate, you don't type.
Nothing personal intended. It is simply an observation based on the evidence provided. I'm not really sure of any positive value being added by many people in this thread, especially in light of overwhelming information, facts, and evidence from the past decade and a half (all on this board) to the contrary of their stated opinions and positions. If there is a flaw, I'll be the first to argue for a solution. However, in this case, no such flaw exists that does not already have more than a dozen examples of an interpretation and explanation. So nothing personal at all... we all understand that the law of averages suggests that some people in a group will simply not consume facts and agree that they apply to their specific situation in a reasonable manner no matter what.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 8:59 am

Programs: SPG, DL
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Nor is there anything allowing it. I believe credit for multiple properties on the same night is outside the rules and should not be allowed. You're welcome to believe what you like. The only one that counts here is SPG's interpretation. I haven't seen anything that should convince them otherwise.
I simply disagree. As multiple people have pointed out multiple times, the entire argument comes down to the definition of the word "stay" and whether a person can "stay" at more than one property in an evening. Until stay is more definitively defined, people's views on this issue with differ.

As I've stated before, on at least one occasion I've received credit for 2 stays at different hotels in the same city on the same night AFTER explicit discussion with SPG about my plans. Long story short, I needed both rooms for different reasons, and they AGREED that I should (and did) receive credit for both.

Of course, YMMV, and if you are obviously trying to game the system, SPG can (and should) deny you credit.

The simple answer to the questions of whether you can get credit for 2 hotels in 1 night is... maybe. More often than not it will post, if it doesn't, you better have a really good reason for needing both rooms before calling SPG to complain.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by ATLawyer
I simply disagree. As multiple people have pointed out multiple times, the entire argument comes down to the definition of the word "stay" and whether a person can "stay" at more than one property in an evening. Until stay is more definitively defined, people's views on this issue with differ.

As I've stated before, on at least one occasion I've received credit for 2 stays at different hotels in the same city on the same night AFTER explicit discussion with SPG about my plans. Long story short, I needed both rooms for different reasons, and they AGREED that I should (and did) receive credit for both.

Of course, YMMV, and if you are obviously trying to game the system, SPG can (and should) deny you credit.

The simple answer to the questions of whether you can get credit for 2 hotels in 1 night is... maybe. More often than not it will post, if it doesn't, you better have a really good reason for needing both rooms before calling SPG to complain.
The subtle difference between your position and our position is that you're describing the exception (legitimate reasons) rather than the rule. The rule is that you cannot earn credit for stays on the same night at two different properties. The exception is that you can request credit with an acceptable, legitimate reason.

The application of the rule is mostly automated, but there's obvious flaws (timing, technical, etc.) in that workflow that allows you to earn credit at two hotels on the same night (YMMV). This is a workflow and/or technical issue not evidence of a rule or an exception.

The application of an account audit can be triggered based on a variety of requests or issues. We have evidence that there is an audit process to enforce the rules and the process is capable of applying valid exceptions.

The existence of an exception does not imply the lack of a rule.
The existence of a workflow flaw does not imply the lack of a rule.
The customer interpretation of T&Cs and unpublished rules does not imply the lack of a rule.
Old Dec 20, 2016, 8:54 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Platinum
By no means to do I intend to reignite the lively discussion that took place a few months ago, but I am still curious as to whether anybody has any concrete experience with this situation

I have a long work trip planned in the new year that currently has me staying in Vietnam for just over a month, but I'm guessing I will end up extending that out to three months. Coming from NYC, I will be bringing a bit of luggage. I have every intent to explore Southeast Asia on the weekends but I have no intent on bringing all of my luggage on my weekend trips. My hotel booking in Vietnam covers all of the weekends I'm there as it is just one long booking, so I plan on just leaving my luggage in my room while I'm gone for a night or two.

When traveling on the weekends, is there any reason that I should avoid an SPG hotel considering I am (or at least my luggage is) already staying in one? I'm not gaming "the system" trying to acquire more nights/stays (if it happens, great otherwise it is not something I would raise to anybody at SPG), I just obviously do not want to bring all of my belongings with me on weekend trips - not to mention that my company paid for my hotel in Vietnam and it would get complicated if I had to break that big stay into multiple week-long stays.
Old Dec 20, 2016, 9:19 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
The first thing you need to do is look at current restrictions on length of stay for earning credit. I remember 90 continuous days as the limit, longer than that you earn nothing.

I wouldn't worry about it. Your weekend stays will post before your long stay posts. If there is any problem with credit not posting, then call SPG and explain. 3 months is long enough for SPR Plat and more than half way toward another top status. I'd look at maximizing overall benefits.
Old Dec 20, 2016, 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by NYCroots
By no means to do I intend to reignite the lively discussion that took place a few months ago, but I am still curious as to whether anybody has any concrete experience with this situation

I have a long work trip planned in the new year that currently has me staying in Vietnam for just over a month, but I'm guessing I will end up extending that out to three months. Coming from NYC, I will be bringing a bit of luggage. I have every intent to explore Southeast Asia on the weekends but I have no intent on bringing all of my luggage on my weekend trips. My hotel booking in Vietnam covers all of the weekends I'm there as it is just one long booking, so I plan on just leaving my luggage in my room while I'm gone for a night or two.

When traveling on the weekends, is there any reason that I should avoid an SPG hotel considering I am (or at least my luggage is) already staying in one? I'm not gaming "the system" trying to acquire more nights/stays (if it happens, great otherwise it is not something I would raise to anybody at SPG), I just obviously do not want to bring all of my belongings with me on weekend trips - not to mention that my company paid for my hotel in Vietnam and it would get complicated if I had to break that big stay into multiple week-long stays.
Rule: You will only receive points for one hotel, because you technically cannot stay at two hotels at the same time.
Rule of Thumb (YMMV): If you have a legitimate reason, you should have no issues receiving the credit for the second hotel. You may have to do some work to receive the credit due to the rule. There are plenty of datapoints to support this statement.
Old Dec 21, 2016, 2:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
However, there's nothing stopping the OP from staying at Marriott properties at the weekend and earning points that can be transferred back to SPG. SPG status is guaranteed from the long SPG stay and Marriott status is already granted from the match so no problem with splitting stays and potentially missing the hurdles in both programs.

I also would be tempted by some very nice Conrads and Park Hyatts in the region rather than staying completely loyal to SPG...
Old Dec 21, 2016, 3:39 am

Originally Posted by craigthemif
However, there's nothing stopping the OP from staying at Marriott properties at the weekend and earning points that can be transferred back to SPG. SPG status is guaranteed from the long SPG stay and Marriott status is already granted from the match so no problem with splitting stays and potentially missing the hurdles in both programs.

I also would be tempted by some very nice Conrads and Park Hyatts in the region rather than staying completely loyal to SPG...
^
Old Dec 21, 2016, 5:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
If you're staying in one property for a very long time, here's a slightly different approach. Talk to the GM and explain that you will be there for three months but will occasionally travel on weekends. Ask if you can check out on Friday, check back in on Monday, but leave your stuff in the room. Sometimes they will say yes if occupancy is low. And you're now only paying for four or five nights per week instead of seven.
Old Dec 21, 2016, 5:13 am

Programs: MR LT Titanium, SPG LT Plat & Plat 100, SWA A+ & CP
Real World Answer... I have done this several times over the years and I have received credit for both every time. i was never gaming the system. I was staying in X hotel for a week or two and had to make occasional one night side trips during that period. Received credit for both stays every time.
Old Dec 21, 2016, 5:50 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
If you're staying in one property for a very long time, here's a slightly different approach. Talk to the GM and explain that you will be there for three months but will occasionally travel on weekends. Ask if you can check out on Friday, check back in on Monday, but leave your stuff in the room. Sometimes they will say yes if occupancy is low. And you're now only paying for four or five nights per week instead of seven.
This is the best option. Second best is that the hotel will likely store your luggage for you in their luggage room (or elsewhere) while you are away.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.