Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Shortening trip reprices entire stay

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2016, 8:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Most hotels would rather know in advance when you're really leaving than to learn at check in that you shall depart early. So it makes sense for them not to raise your rate, assuming that you meet any current minimum stay requirements.
Old Jun 5, 2016, 9:10 am

Programs: UA:1k; MR: PLT; Hilton: Gold
I have to do this all the time. It's always a bit of a hassle, but I can't recall a time I wasn't successful after going about it in a couple different ways. Usually one of the following works:

1. Call the platinum line. They'll first try exactly what you did. Then they'll usually call the hotel directly to modify. Sometimes works, sometimes not.
2. I call the hotel directly. This is a pain, mostly because it's very difficult to get to somebody who can help you (usually only available during normal business hours). Many times the first person you speak to will "transfer" you to the main Spg reservation line which can't help you.
3. Same as 2, but do it within 24 hours of check in (but before you cancellation penalty kicks in). Have great success when it's closer to check in as the hotel has more control over the reservation then?
4. Deal with it at the hotel. This obviously only works when I'm trying to cut days off the end, and not delay checkin. But I'm almost always on a corporate rate with no early departure fee.

Hope this helps. Usually just have to be persistent.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 1:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver
Quick update. Called the hotel, got to the front desk via the concierge and they were happy to change the booking, keeping the rate with no penalty.

Thanks for all the help and info.
Old Sep 11, 2016, 9:51 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by speedbird_one
Quick update. Called the hotel, got to the front desk via the concierge and they were happy to change the booking, keeping the rate with no penalty.
Did you get the pts back for the two unused nights? I have a situation where I need to shorten a 10 night reservation to 5. Was told at time of booking it would be "no problem" to shorten any stay and get pts back at original rate. Agent conveniently left out the part that their dept can't do it (judging by the consensus upthread). I have emailed the property and am waiting.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 1:00 am

Programs: AA LTP 2MM, Marriott/SPG Rabid Plat w/Ambassador, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by jmanirish
I have to do this all the time. It's always a bit of a hassle, but I can't recall a time I wasn't successful after going about it in a couple different ways. Usually one of the following works:

1. Call the platinum line. They'll first try exactly what you did. Then they'll usually call the hotel directly to modify. Sometimes works, sometimes not.
2. I call the hotel directly. This is a pain, mostly because it's very difficult to get to somebody who can help you (usually only available during normal business hours). Many times the first person you speak to will "transfer" you to the main Spg reservation line which can't help you.
3. Same as 2, but do it within 24 hours of check in (but before you cancellation penalty kicks in). Have great success when it's closer to check in as the hotel has more control over the reservation then?
4. Deal with it at the hotel. This obviously only works when I'm trying to cut days off the end, and not delay checkin. But I'm almost always on a corporate rate with no early departure fee.

Hope this helps. Usually just have to be persistent.
While I've generally had good success just calling the hotel directly (eventually, as you note), this is one area where having an Ambassador has been really useful. Now I just call or email my Ambassador and have them deal with it (as well as when properties don't credit my MAGC or other points correctly), it's just one quick phone call and they handle all of the follow-up with the properties and finding the right person. I've been able to shorten stays as well as add days at the same rate (assuming there is general availability), even when trying to change or book a new reservation on spg.com gives me higher pricing.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 11:28 am

Just want to share my experience since it is the opposite of some reports. My experience was that calling the general SPG # does (or can) work, while contacting the hotel failed. This is for the exact situation described by OP - shortening an award stay after category has gone up and getting the unused points back. The agent has to put in a request for the "program services" department to manually book it. After it's done, you will only see the date and no other information online, but you can call to confirm it's done right.

I am a lowly gold member.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 12:02 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1K, Delta Plat
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
I've had this happen many times and the hotel always allowed me to change my reservation and honored the initial price. I am however a Platinum with Ambassador so that may help me. Still, I imagine the hotel will honor your rate.
I wonder if these were cases where you're informing the hotel about early departure AFTER check in or after booking before check in?

I had to shorten a hotel stay from 3 nights to one night in a Sheraton in Europe last week as I had to take a flight early and they charged me around $82 extra (currency converted) after repeatedly telling me this includes a 50% discount (would have been $162 extra without it). FYI I'm also a Plat with around 140 nights this year but they were not willing to let me negotiate.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 4:58 pm

Programs: NW Gold/SPG Plat/Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Central90210
This is one of the reasons why if I'm booking a few months out and am unsure, I will book each night separately with a flexible rate, given the price is same for a 1 night stay or 5 night stay or the difference is negligible.

If I need to shorten my stay, I simply cancel the nights I don't need. If I don't need to shorten my stay, there's nothing I need to do and the hotel will combine all nights into one stay (in the same room).

I concur with this strategy and do this myself. I have many a hotel ask me why I make individual bookings as it hurts their ability to gauge occupancy. Like I tell each one, once hotels stop playing these games with me like not allowing me to shorten stays and jacking rates, I revert to booking the way I used to. I think all hotel chains do this, as I have also seen Hilton try and do this.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by Andrew14302
I concur with this strategy and do this myself.
Me too, if it's less than 5 days. 5 days or more, you have to book as one resv in order to take advantage of 5th night free.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.