Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

PSA Beware of sharing your info with Lurkers and making negative posts in the forum

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

PSA Beware of sharing your info with Lurkers and making negative posts in the forum

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2016, 9:18 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by bhrubin
I must call your comments misguided, as well.

If the OP shares info with a Lurker to get satisfaction on a specific incident or issue, the OP clearly has waived any pretense for anonymity. Anyone who doesn't understand that is...lacking, to put it politely.

This OP is simply balling about nonsense. This isn't about anonymity. This is about exacting revenge about SPG. The OP is railing at the moon now. The OP is entitled to rail at the moon, of course...but we are entitled to call that out, too.
There are a lot of assumptions being made in this thread, even some thrown around as fact. It seems that many on here are ignoring that A) the OP's question via PM did not require PII data to be shared with the property to receive clarification and B) the OP was told that his information being disclosed to the property was a mistake. Believe it or not, it is possible to love and appreciate the Lurkers and the unique service they provide to our community AND be capable of questioning some situations like this one without it being considered a vendetta on them personally or the service they provide.

There is also a case to be made that it is beneficial to both sides of this unwinnable debate to understand what information is maintained through our interactions with the Lurkers, how that information will be used when interfacing with corporate or individual properties, what PII data will be shared beyond that direct communication with the Lurkers, etc. This should not be left to misguided assumptions and expectations.

Here's some "from the horse's mouth" information from a previous thread (emphasis mine):

Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker II
Hi all,

Let me clarify over here. I have been following up with comments from members and guests who have posted over here. In fact, quite a few members have received my PM with regards to their comments on the properties they have stayed at. These comments have been forwarded to the properties as well. That is the main reason I have asked for permission to release personal information such as email contacts so that the management of the property can reach the member to address the issues involved directly.

There are also situations where members have problems with either their stay or promotions. It would be really efficient if we assist the member immediately once we have their account details at our fingertips and not delay the process by waiting for the other party to respond via PM.

Both William and myself do not share personal details of members over here to other parties. But we do hold the same database to the members here so that whenever one party is not around, the other is able to assist as well. There are, situations in which a member has declared that he would not like to share the details with the other lurker and we do indicate that.

For the OP, if the instruction has been passed to William and I was not notified by any chance, I apologize.

Like I mention, we do not reveal any personal information to other non-related parties.
Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker II
Hi all,

I do understand the OP's concern and the situation can be managed as well.

I am receiving messages from members who would not like to be linked to their UserIDs in the forum.

I would have to declare that both of us do not reveal your real identity beneath your Usernames to anybody else, not even our colleagues or any members here.
Old May 22, 2016, 11:06 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by jibi

Here's some "from the horse's mouth" information from a previous thread (emphasis mine):
Those statements are from June, 2008. A lot has changed in 8 years. Are those statements still pertinent?
Old May 22, 2016, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by clublounger
Those statements are from June, 2008. A lot has changed in 8 years. Are those statements still pertinent?
Regarding this situation, the Lurkers' involvement with this community, etc., what has changed? As it was mentioned 8 years ago, it would be great if there were some published information about privacy and expectations of privacy as it relates to interfacing with the Lurkers (and other industry professionals) on this forum.

At the time of the above quotes, the Lurkers had been involved with this forum for more than 8 years. Jae was even on here pre-Lurkers (the William era), so the program was already quite established and mature at the time SL2 made his comments. Perhaps they are keeping and sharing information in a different manner 8 years later? Sure. The point is that they kept a database, they likely still keep a database, they disclose certain information, they maintain privacy when requested or when the situation calls for it, etc. etc. The other point is that it would be great to know the rules of engagement before they are contacted. Otherwise, we are left to our assumptions and we'll have "public service announcement" posts and the same privacy vs. transparency debate over and over.
Old May 22, 2016, 12:04 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by jibi
Regarding this situation, the Lurkers' involvement with this community, etc., what has changed? As it was mentioned 8 years ago, it would be great if there were some published information about privacy and expectations of privacy as it relates to interfacing with the Lurkers (and other industry professionals) on this forum.

At the time of the above quotes, the Lurkers had been involved with this forum for more than 8 years. Jae was even on here pre-Lurkers (the William era), so the program was already quite established and mature at the time SL2 made his comments. Perhaps they are keeping and sharing information in a different manner 8 years later? Sure. The point is that they kept a database, they likely still keep a database, they disclose certain information, they maintain privacy when requested or when the situation calls for it, etc. etc. The other point is that it would be great to know the rules of engagement before they are contacted. Otherwise, we are left to our assumptions and we'll have "public service announcement" posts and the same privacy vs. transparency debate over and over.
None of us non-lurkers can answer whether or not those 8 year old quotes are still pertinent. I'm not even looking for an answer. I just don't rely on 8 year old information.
Old May 22, 2016, 1:05 pm

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
I'm 100% with jibi. Well put - Lurkers rule, but I think transparency would be beneficial both ways - us shy ones would like to know whether we can remain semi-anonymouous while communicating with Lurkers or not. Simple as that.
Old May 22, 2016, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by clublounger
None of us non-lurkers can answer whether or not those 8 year old quotes are still pertinent. I'm not even looking for an answer. I just don't rely on 8 year old information.
Then it appears you're helping me make this point. When the most definitive and official information is 8 years old, then perhaps someone should step up and provide a definitive FAQ, T&C, disclaimer, whatever you want to call it. Privacy is a really important concept. It is also a legal principle in many countries. Simply making the assumption that our PII data is fair use - even if volunteered - is a bad approach to this topic by consumers.
Old May 23, 2016, 10:30 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
OP, I have provided feedback on this forum (both negative and positive) and my info was provided directly via my Ambassador and sometimes via Lurkers to GMs for follow up. I've stayed at those hotels afterwards and found I was treated better, not worse. I don't think you need to worry about being "marked negatively".

As for your info being sent to a GM for follow up, I think it is in good form. I imagine you would be happy if the GM did something over and above CS wise - but what truly bothers you is your worry that you've been "marked".

If you don't want your details provided it is on you to state that fact in your initial contact with the lurkers. Otherwise it seems to me that it would be good CS form to have a GM follow up with the customer re his issue directly.
Old May 23, 2016, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by remymartin
I'm 100% with jibi. Well put - Lurkers rule, but I think transparency would be beneficial both ways - us shy ones would like to know whether we can remain semi-anonymouous while communicating with Lurkers or not. Simple as that.
I can tell you from personal experience the answer is no.

Having said that, the Lurkers have always been nothing but professional and helpful; one of the main reasons I am so big on Starwood.

But, with rare exceptions, there is NO anonymity on FT.

Cheers,
Old May 23, 2016, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by Flews
But, with rare exceptions, there is NO anonymity on FT.
... or the internet. If someone really wants to find out about you....
Old May 23, 2016, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by CPRich
I've never assumed the Lurkers acted as some kind of anonymizer when dealing with properties, and I don't recall that they ever claimed to.

When I have an negative opinion of a service provider, I have no issues providing my name along with my opinion. If they react negatively to accurate feedback, I just know not to return.

I'm not really going to "beware" of doing either going forward.
This.
Old May 23, 2016, 7:57 pm

OP seems to have decided to leave the thread, so probably no answers will be forthcoming.

Still, if you are here, it could be good if you clarified:

Originally Posted by Anaom
So I provided some information to a Lurker back in January about an issue I had. The issue was never really resolved but I just let it be as I just didn't have the time or energy to pursue it.
Yes, I agree. My question for the lurker was about a starwood property. I was told by the front desk that the reason the lounge changed was because It was against Starwood policy to provide complementary alcoholic beverages to guests.

So in the above posts you first say that you provided your RL info to a Lurker in January about an issue. You never elaborate on what that issue was. Then in a subsequent post you mention it is about the lounge not serving alcoholic beverages. This is one of the points raised in your post about the Sheraton Anaheim - but in that post you mention you just checked in and discovered this issue and that post was dated 12 May.

So which is it? Jan or May?

I personally feel this is very important.

1. If your "complaint" to the Lurker where you provided your RL info was in May, about the Sheraton Anaheim and it's new no-alcohol policy, then I feel there is every reason for them to reveal your RL info to the hotel management.

2. If your initial "complaint" was in January about a totally different issue and a totally different hotel, then that means this has happened:

- you made snide remarks about the new GM of Sheraton Anaheim and yes they are quite unflattering remarks
they have a new GM who is into cost cutting. He came from the Sheraton Agoura Hills which I swore off a long time ago due to service and price. Considering the reviews on that place, it's only a matter of time before he runs this property into the ground. Why this company hired him to run this hotel is beyond me.
- said GM then happened to read the FT thread and read said remarks and was expectedly, unhappy about them

- said GM then contacted the Lurkers to obtain your RL info

- and at this point, it appears the Lurker(s) released your RL info to him

Is this what happened? If it was, then I personally feel you have every right to be upset and that a breach of privacy occurred.

Frankly, it is akin to writing a comment on TripAdvisor and then the hotel asking TripAdvisor to release your information to them and TripAdvisor doing so.

Some of you have said that OP should "own" his comments and basically be responsible for what he said. While I agree with that and would stand by any comments I personally posted, I would also say that FT being what it is, OP had a right to expect anonymity and OP cannot be faulted for that. Let them put up a disclaimer that info provided can be released to any and all interested parties and then he has no ground to stand on. But until then...

What next? If during the frequent spats that occur on FT one user decides he wants the other user's RL info, he/she is allowed to go to the Lurkers to get it?
Old May 25, 2016, 10:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
A unique relationship

Many years ago I bitterly complained (and snarked) about spg.com, even offering to do a 'what's wrong' presentation to the team in charge of it. Shortly after, I received a PM from William asking if I was serious and if I was, if the head of their web team could contact me.

Next thing I know, I'm on a conference call with 10+ people from Starwood thanking me for my loyalty and patiently listening to the feedback I prepared for them.

That was the start of a unique relationship; and getting to know people by their first names at SPG/Starwood. Of course it's still a company, but I'm continually amazed at how much these folks care and how passionate (and competitive) they are about making our experiences better.

The Lurkers are amazing facilitators. So while the OP may not like the tone of the message he got from one GM at one property, I encourage him to keep up with the dialogue and build relationships. The feedback we give (and get) can benefit all of us who are fans of SPG.
Old May 25, 2016, 11:17 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, Marriott
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
Next thing I know, I'm on a conference call with 10+ people from Starwood thanking me for my loyalty and patiently listening to the feedback I prepared for them.
That sounds like great opportunity. Seems like we should do one again sometime soon. Some pages are so crap I run an extension to overlay their css.
Old May 26, 2016, 12:21 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
Many years ago I bitterly complained (and snarked) about spg.com, even offering to do a 'what's wrong' presentation to the team in charge of it. Shortly after, I received a PM from William asking if I was serious and if I was, if the head of their web team could contact me.

That was the start of a unique relationship; and getting to know people by their first names at SPG/Starwood. Of course it's still a company, but I'm continually amazed at how much these folks care and how passionate (and competitive) they are about making our experiences better.

The Lurkers are amazing facilitators. So while the OP may not like the tone of the message he got from one GM at one property, I encourage him to keep up with the dialogue and build relationships. The feedback we give (and get) can benefit all of us who are fans of SPG.
Exactly.
Old May 26, 2016, 1:04 pm

Programs: Skywards Platinum
My concern is here that I trusted the Lurker with my info and they took it upon themselves to include my info in an email to corporate which then was forwarded to the GM. The problem here was it was done without my consent and no messages from the Lurkers until I called them out on it today. They apologized but this frankly puts a bad taste in my mouth with not only the Lurkers and SPG but the property in general.
The Lurkers apologized for releasing your info. But, realistically, the Lurkers work for SPG, I always expected that once I contacted them my username is outed.

Do keep in mind, there was plenty of information in your post in the other thread for the GM to find out exactly who you are, without the Lurkers help.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.