Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Atlanta on Courtland, GA [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton Atlanta on Courtland, GA [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2010, 11:41 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Report from a stay September 12-13.

Location: I was happy to see the hotel was an easy walk from the Peachtree Center MARTA station. Though the walk wasn't the best late at night when I was offered drugs on the way back to the hotel, and the liquor store across the street had some other fun types outside it.

Hotel: The hotel seems to be geared towards people who drive up as walking in with my friend we were somewhat confused on where to go. Also, the long walk to the elevators past meeting rooms wasn't my favorite.

Check In: I was staying with a friend who's SPG Gold, which they did not recognize on check in (but what's it worth anyway when he got it for free from UA?). As I was only stay one night, they were agreeable to moving him to a king the next day which I thought was very nice of them. However, they did charge him $20 to recieve a FEDEX package for him, less nice.

Room: We had a corner double which minus a crappy view, was actually a fairly nice room. The bathroom was decent and had an adjacent large closet and there was plenty of space. The wireless seemed to work well and the TV was new. Plus there were plenty of outlets.

Other: The Club Lounge was very nice with a good soda selection (including Root Beer) and a nice fruit, cheese, crackers, hot appetizers selection at night. Plus it was large with a lot of seating. However, the computers were extremely slow. I had breakfast downstairs and the cold spread wasn't bad, pastries, bagels, fruit, cereal etc.

Overall I found the hotel decent, minus the $20 receive package fee. I'm a Hilton Gold so it was nice to see how SPG Golds are treated. The corner room, executive lounge and free breakfast were all good as were the employees.
Old Dec 8, 2010, 1:41 pm

Programs: MAR Lifetime Platinum, Delta Plat., IHG Spire Amb., Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Thumbs up Loved the Hotel

Stayed here Monday night. I was a Starwood Gold and this stay earned Platinum for me. Got two rooms, one for my Mom and Dad (my Dad was traveling to Emory Hospital for medical tests dealing with possible heart transplant).

I checked in with Ivana, a lovely lady of Croatian descent. She was extremely efficient, kind and professional. Gold status was recognized and upgrade offered. My parents received a huge suite in the North Tower (I wanted them to have the suite, given the circumstances and also because I was traveling alone) and I received a very nice, large room with what I could best describe as set of panoramic windows in the South Tower adjacent to the club lounge.

Club lounge was large and well lit with a nice selection of snacks and soft drinks. Continental breakfast was very nice also. Valet speedy, pool area attractive.

This is an older property, but has clearly been well-maintained and very recently renovated. My floor, in particular, was impeccable with carpeting and paint that appeared brand new. Sweet sleeper bed was a blessing after a long drive to Atlanta.

Would definitely repeat my stay. ^
Old Aug 15, 2011, 12:28 pm

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Just completed a one night stay here, and found it a mixed experience. On the upside, all the staff I interacted with were incredibly pleasant and helpful -- some of the nicest folk I've encountered in a while.

On the downside, the physical plant here leaves a lot to be desired. My rate included self parking, but when I followed the signs to the door that said "guest registration," it was locked. Had to wander through the inside of the garage to find another door. I ended up "upgraded" to the Club floor, which is inexplicably on the 5th floor of a ~12 story tower -- whose idea was *that*? Being that close to street level, the room was somewhat noisy. Housekeeping knocked at 8:30, which is always a pet peeve of mine.

Moreover, I'm fairly certain it was the smallest room I've ever been assigned at an SPG property, by a wide margin -- including all my stays in NYC. It had a single queen bed, but even so barely had room for nightstands and a small arm chair. Moreover, it had *two* connecting doors, one each to rooms on either side. The bathroom was similarly tiny, with the sink in the corner and the rest of the vanity counter cut away to make room to move.

The club lounge itself was pleasant and well stocked at breakfast, with a lot of nice offerings. Particularly liked the variety of cereals. The lounge attendant was also extremely friendly and anxious to help.

Given the *tiny* room, I doubt I'll be back here anytime soon.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium Marriott Platinum for life.
Originally Posted by dtremit
Just completed a one night stay here, and found it a mixed experience. On the upside, all the staff I interacted with were incredibly pleasant and helpful -- some of the nicest folk I've encountered in a while.

On the downside, the physical plant here leaves a lot to be desired. My rate included self parking, but when I followed the signs to the door that said "guest registration," it was locked. Had to wander through the inside of the garage to find another door. I ended up "upgraded" to the Club floor, which is inexplicably on the 5th floor of a ~12 story tower -- whose idea was *that*? Being that close to street level, the room was somewhat noisy. Housekeeping knocked at 8:30, which is always a pet peeve of mine.

Moreover, I'm fairly certain it was the smallest room I've ever been assigned at an SPG property, by a wide margin -- including all my stays in NYC. It had a single queen bed, but even so barely had room for nightstands and a small arm chair. Moreover, it had *two* connecting doors, one each to rooms on either side. The bathroom was similarly tiny, with the sink in the corner and the rest of the vanity counter cut away to make room to move.

The club lounge itself was pleasant and well stocked at breakfast, with a lot of nice offerings. Particularly liked the variety of cereals. The lounge attendant was also extremely friendly and anxious to help.

Given the *tiny* room, I doubt I'll be back here anytime soon.
This property likes to put plats in the south tower where the lounge is, yet the suites are in the north tower. Next time ask for an executive suite, I think you will be happy.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 7:45 am

lots of upgrades as a Gold

I stayed here this past weekend and was astonished at the upgrades, service, and treatment that I received as an SPG gold. We stayed on a prepay heavy discount rate, which I thought would have negated my benefits. However, my wife and I were upgraded to an executive suite, had club access, received a bottle of wine and a very large snack tray, a drink coupon, and very friendly service.
Niles Harris is the GM of this hotel and has done a great job. I've stayed at a number of hotels in Atlanta, including St Regis, Grand Hyatt, Marriott, etc. I've never been treated better than we were treated here. I'd definitely come back and recommend it to other SPG members.
A couple of notes: North tower is very different from the south tower. I think that they generally like to put SPG members near the club, which is in the south tower. But the executive suites are in the north tower. So it's worth calling/emailing ahead and discussing your preferences with them.
Also, the hotel isn't ideally located. We had no problem walking downtown from the hotel, but I wouldn't plan on walking in other directions once it's dark. There is a club on the corner of Courtland and AYP that had loud music on Saturday night. This didn't bother us a bit, but if you need absolute quiet you might mention to the staff that you want a room on the other side (though I don't know if there are suites on the interior side). Club lounge is roomy and well-stocked. They had unlimited Barq's rootbeer which made me happy .
Old Mar 3, 2014, 9:34 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
So I'm pulling a few stays in the city due to work-related maintenance and dinners with colleagues. While the Sheraton is a bit of a haul from my office, I decided to stay here and give it another go... plus Hsu's is a block from the hotel, which is a big plus in my book!

I was upgraded to a Club Queen during this stay. While this is not one of the previous upgrades I've received, I was not expecting an upgrade at all given the conference (Microsoft Convergence 2014 ... about 15,000 attendees) that has overtaken the downtown area.

With that said, the internet has been down for the past two hours. They do not have an estimate on when it will be fixed, but I was told not to expect it tonight. Oh joy.

EDIT: Back up after nearly 3 hours...

EDIT 2: Back down (for all intent purposes) one hour later... see below for a ping against Google's public DNS server.

Pinging 8.8.8.8 with 32 bytes of data:
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=3075ms TTL=42
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=2364ms TTL=42
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=2434ms TTL=42
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=2074ms TTL=42
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=1638ms TTL=42
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=2551ms TTL=42
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

OUCH!

Last edited by jibi; Mar 3, 2014 at 11:37 pm
Old Dec 16, 2014, 10:39 am

Once again a great stay

Originally Posted by MelloChatt
I stayed here this past weekend and was astonished at the upgrades, service, and treatment that I received as an SPG gold. We stayed on a prepay heavy discount rate, which I thought would have negated my benefits. However, my wife and I were upgraded to an executive suite, had club access, received a bottle of wine and a very large snack tray, a drink coupon, and very friendly service.
Niles Harris is the GM of this hotel and has done a great job. I've stayed at a number of hotels in Atlanta, including St Regis, Grand Hyatt, Marriott, etc. I've never been treated better than we were treated here. I'd definitely come back and recommend it to other SPG members.
A couple of notes: North tower is very different from the south tower. I think that they generally like to put SPG members near the club, which is in the south tower. But the executive suites are in the north tower. So it's worth calling/emailing ahead and discussing your preferences with them.
Also, the hotel isn't ideally located. We had no problem walking downtown from the hotel, but I wouldn't plan on walking in other directions once it's dark. There is a club on the corner of Courtland and AYP that had loud music on Saturday night. This didn't bother us a bit, but if you need absolute quiet you might mention to the staff that you want a room on the other side (though I don't know if there are suites on the interior side). Club lounge is roomy and well-stocked. They had unlimited Barq's rootbeer which made me happy .
I stayed here this past weekend again. They remembered me from last time (two years ago), remembered that it was our anniversary, gave us the same suite and some wine and fruit. Wonderful service and staff.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 11:17 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by CNWO4LIFE
This property likes to put plats in the south tower where the lounge is, yet the suites are in the north tower. Next time ask for an executive suite, I think you will be happy.
Just a bump on this one. I had a similar experience. In fact, over many stays, I had never been put in the North Tower and had never received an upgrade beyond Club Floor. I updated my Platinum preference for this prepaid stay to Largest Room just to see what would happen. Prior to check-in, the room was still listed as Traditional King on the reservation (on the app). I'm not sure what kind of room I was upgraded to (perhaps a Jr. Suite, possibly an Executive Suite ... one room with no separate bedroom, but a rather large sitting area and desk space). The only downside to this is that I like to watch TV from the bed and it was in the sitting area (and these are smallish TVs ... 37" or so). Nevertheless, it appears the Platinum preferences are being acknowledged at this property...

With that said, the internet has not been improved in the 9 months since I last stayed at this property. That is disappointing.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 11:39 am

Programs: Southwest A-List, AMC Stubs A-List, Chick-fil-A-List
The lounge has moved to the 12th floor, and my reaction to the new space is mixed.

While it has very nice windows and lighting now, the lounge gives an impression of being much smaller than the previous one. I'd estimate the number of seats are about the same, but all the food and drinks are piled on top of each other causing major traffic jams when it's busy.

The furniture is a strange mishmash of new tables flanked by some smaller tables clearly taken from the old lounge space.

Fountain sodas are gone, as are the chessboard and spacious workstation areas. There's no restroom here, so have fun going down 9 stories to use the facilities.

At least the wonderful staff made the move.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 9:44 am

Programs: Southwest A-List, AMC Stubs A-List, Chick-fil-A-List
There is some major drama going on here on their Facebook page and this Reddit thread. The hotel is asking for an extra $20/night on prepaid DragonCon rooms, five months after they were booked and charged.

I'm not affected by this personally but I think the property's position on this is indefensible, and an absolutely terrible PR move. I'm a regular here and this gives me pause to book my future stays.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 10:55 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Stay Report - 6/13 - 6/14

Location: The hotel is located in Downtown Atlanta near the Peachtree Center MARTA station. Directly across the block is a liquor store as well as some seedy looking restaurant and a Hertz and a Budget location. Being able to pick up a car downtown is a nice feature and you can walk to a lot of downtown if that's something you want to do. It's about a $20 Uber ride from ATL to the hotel.

Hotel: The complex is a large, sprawling collection of buildings and towers that's a little hard to navigate. There's one entrance on Courtland which is on the 2nd floor and another on Andrew Young on the First Floor. The hotel has an outdoor pool which is surrounded by the north building, a low slung 4 story room complex and there's also the south building which is 12 stories and has the lounge. Near the lobby is a gift shop and on the 1st floor is a UPS Store. There is a lot of meeting and event space and getting around can mean long walks.

Check In: I arrived at 10 PM and was helped by a very friendly agent in the Bonvoy Line (not something I usually see) who thanked me for being Titanium and said "of course we upgraded you to a suite", very nice

Room: The suite itself was not very good. First, let me point out that this whole hotel outside the lobby is really dimly lit and that includes hallways and the rooms. The room layout was baffling. After walking in the bathroom is immediately to the left of the entrance door. Then, down a short hallway is a small bedroom and at the end of the hallway a living room with a kitchenette (with microwave and minifridge) and a desk. There are almost no outlets to be found in the room including none on the desk or near the beds. Also, not all outlets I did find worked. Thankfully, noise isn't an issue.

Lounge: The lounge is on the 12th floor and serves appetizers from 6-8 and breakfast from 6 to 9. It's open 24 hours. There's been some flooding so when I went up there were big fans trying to dry the carpet. The printer there was out of ink and paper so I had to spend money at the UPS store to make prints. Breakfast was better than I expected: scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, french toast and cold items and very good service.

I got this hotel for $109 all in which is a good deal for downtown. However, it's in bad shape and I don't think I'll make a repeat visit if I can help it.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 7:37 pm

Programs: Hyatt / SPG
Sheraton Atlanta has been closed until further notice.

Old Jul 16, 2019, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags
Sheraton ATL on Courtland St. closes after 3 guests test positive for Legionnaires’

Local coverage:
A downtown Atlanta hotel has closed its doors while officials test for a rare, and sometimes deadly, form of pneumonia.

Three people who stayed at the Sheraton Atlanta on Courtland Street tested positive for Legionnaires’ disease, which is contracted by breathing in mist or swallowing water containing bacteria. The Georgia Department of Health has not yet been able to confirm if the guests contracted the disease during their stay.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags
Another update - 11 Alive News: 5 confirmed cases of Legionnaires' at Sheraton Atlanta, hotel to be closed for 'several weeks' -The hotel learned of the illnesses on Friday and closed on Monday for testing.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 4:02 am

Programs: QF Gold, FB Plat, Accor Diamond, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold – ex-UA 1k, ex-AA Plat, ex IHG Plat
Well, it's closed until further notice due to legionella. Link here: https://thegate.boardingarea.com/she...aires-disease/

I stayed there few nights couple of months ago, that was a disaster, I'll post a review later on.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.